Michael Carrick – The England Player That Never Was

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 5K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
With England failing time and time again at an international stage, could Michael Carrick have held the key to success? He has never really been able to nail down a place in the England team, often being overlooked and shunted aside to make way for Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry; a decision which continues to baffle me even today.

We have been told time and time again that the key to international (and European) football is possession. There is no better English player to Michael Carrick playing the possession game which makes it hard for me to see why he has been overlooked time and time again.

What makes a top class midfielder is all about how well they apply themselves within the role that they have been given to play. Michael Carrick is a tactical player, he plays in a disciplined role at Manchester United and in my opinion he applies himself to the role superbly game in, game out.

When in possession his primary objective is to keep possession of the ball and to simply move the ball onto the more clinical players. He sits in front of the back four and doesn’t go forward often, possibly a role likened to Sergio Busquets at Barcelona. Michael Carrick’s biggest quality is to move play from defence to attack and win the ball. Because of him, other players play better.

So why is Michael Carrick often criticised? I believe it is because he is a simple player. People are often deceived by the glamour players, the greedy players, the players who go for the spectacular when in reality they are just wasteful, wasteful in possession. Paul Scholes hit on this point a few weeks back:

“You go into the England team and you want to be part of a team that plays well, but there are individuals who are after personal glory.”
“When there is a simple pass of 10 yards, they might try and smack it 80 yards. They will do things to try and get themselves noticed, they get their big move and that is enough for them.”
Tactically it is obvious that a partnership of Gerrard and Lampard just does not work. Both players are ‘glamour players’ who like to get forward which could leave the defence exposed. Even with a player like Gareth Barry accompanying them England has failed to impress on an international stage because his passing range is virtually non-existent.
For me it is important to have players that complement each other. The 11 best players are not necessarily the best 11. World Cup winner Xabi Alonso also touched on this point in an interview he gave on 4th July 2010. He believes that one of the reasons why England fails internationally may be due to the absence of Michael Carrick.

“England missed a player like Carrick in the midfield, somebody who knows how to be in the right place at the right time.
“Gerrard gains a lot from having a player like Carrick as a partner, somebody who provides the back-up he needs to be free and bring his power to bear decisively in a game.”
I suppose Xabi Alonso could be right. Gerrard enjoyed his best period at Liverpool while playing alongside Xabi Alonso, a player whose passing is as good as Michael Carrick’s. The English mentality in recent times has been the more direct game. It’s an approach that I do not think works at an international level, especially in a summer international tournament such as the World Cup playing in the blistering heat, chasing the ball every time it is lost.

carricks-new-positionv1.jpg

More often than not, criticism of Michael Carrick’s passing is misguided. To criticise his passing is to misunderstand the role that he now plays at Manchester United. It’s given that earlier on in his career he was allowed the freedom to play his own game in midfield however now that he plays deeper he cannot afford to play as many risky passes as he used to due to the area of the pitch he now operates in. One thing is for certain, he is still highly rated by Sir Alex Ferguson:

“Michael is one of those unassuming quiet guys, who just goes about his job and never gives the ball away. But his range of passing can win you games. He is a real Manchester United player.”

So has England missed a trick with Michael Carrick? Over the past 5 seasons, Manchester United have enjoyed one of their most successful eras in history winning 4 league titles as well as reaching 3 Champions League finals and winning it once. It is no coincidence that Michael Carrick’s presence has been long-standing in that same period. Only Patrice Evra has made more appearances for Manchester United in that time with 233 appearances whereas Michael Carrick has made 232.

Michael Carrick was most definitely ever present for Manchester United in the bigger games last season. In the home leg of Manchester United’s Champions League tie with Marseille, Michael Carrick’s pass completion rate was an incredible 93.1%. In the away Champions League tie at Stamford Bridge he bettered that with a 95% completion rate as well as playing that sublime pass to Ryan Giggs which led to Wayne Rooney’s bottom corner finish.

carrick-chalkboard.jpg

At times Michael Carrick was imperious in his passing. Over the two league games against Blackburn Michael Carrick attempted 202 passes, 107 of which were in Manchester United’s title winning 1-1 draw at Blacburn. In addition to this, in Manchester United’s Champions League group stage game away to Rangers, Michael Carrick completed 107/117 passes. Some could say such stats are Xavi territory.

Michael Carrick also made more forward passes in last season’s Champions League than Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta, rubbishing the myth that he only passes sideways and backwards. Michael Carrick (417), Andres Iniesta (384).

Criticism of Michael Carrick’s excessive short passing also seems very harsh. Interestingly he does not even appear in the top 10 for players who made the most short passes in the Champions League however Manchester United’s rumoured target Wesley Sneijder does. I wonder whether he would receive the same criticism if he joined?

There also appears to be a rumour going round that Michael Carrick is poor at defending and that Manchester United need to buy a midfield destroyer. I suppose the fact that no other player, except Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes, made more interceptions in last season’s Champions League puts that myth to bed too.

Surely with Michael Carrick having been such a prominent player over the past 5 years, some of our accomplishments are due to his brilliance? He is reliable, dependable and plays his role admirably. Due to the simple, unspectacular nature of his game, he often comes under much criticism, undeservedly so.

Manchester United have enjoyed great success with Michael Carrick over the past 5 seasons and his exclusion from the national side in that same period looks to be England’s loss. Michael Carrick’s game is suited to the European and International game and in my opinion he would have been a very good player for the national team had he ever been given the chance. Maybe if Michael Carrick was European he would have been appreciated more…

I had the same opinion that England lacked Midfielder like Carrick to keep it simple and keep the game ticking. He plays very simple game and the reason why he gets so much criticism. He is second in the most interceptions in the champions league and also made more forward passes than Iniesta.

p.s You can agree/disagree with the article, but try to do with constructive points rather than smart *** one liners.

I am on my way out of my office now, so did not read the entire article..

people laugh at me when I say Carrick is a great player, often underrated in a really good United team! But he is that team, he is part of it, he may not score countless goals or make 20 assists per season, he is a great player and an integral part of the way United play and England should play as Barry is the shittest player in the world in my opinion...

good article :) from a very big Carrick fan!

I used to be a fan of Michael Carrick; Arsenal were even close to signing him before he went to Tottenham and was quite excited to see him in a red shirt, but even after his spell at Spurs and went to United I thought he was onto bigger and better things. He's too often criticised as he's still a fine player, just not what everyone's expected of him.

I think when he has a bad game its highlighted too much because he gots un-noticed but when he has a good day and the ball is flowwing nicely through the middle you see alot of him. But saying that back in 2001 Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri went to then Chelsea owner Ken Bates and said "i want both Lampard and Carrick from West Ham"? Ken Bates said "we only have enough money to sign one of them you have to pick". 11million pound, 509 appearences, 170 goals, 10 club titles and 34 personal awards later and i think Mr Ranieri made the right choice.

I think when he has a bad game its highlighted too much because he gots un-noticed but when he has a good day and the ball is flowwing nicely through the middle you see alot of him. But saying that back in 2001 Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri went to then Chelsea owner Ken Bates and said "i want both Lampard and Carrick from West Ham"? Ken Bates said "we only have enough money to sign one of them you have to pick". 11million pound, 509 appearences, 170 goals, 10 club titles and 34 personal awards later and i think Mr Ranieri made the right choice.

4 Premier League titles, 1 Champions League titles, 2 Carling Cups, 1 World Club Championships.. I don't think Michael is too bothered how many honours Frank has won at Chelsea to be honest.

In my opionion they are too completely different players, Frank is a far more attacking player whilst Michael is more of an holding midfielder. On his day Michael is a great player and often very under-rated but at times last season, he tended to off the ball too many times, silly mistakes leading to conceding goals (Man City being the obvious one). How ever, I still believe Michael is an important player within the squad and has been worth every penny of the £18mil we spent on him.

I have always been a fan of Carrick yet I never really voiced my opinion on it because so many people say he's garbage. I have always been a bit wary, wondering am I missing something here about him that would make him awful. He is prone to bad slumps where it doesn't click for him but he is very composed on the ball and a vital part of the Manchester United squad. He doesn't try the hollywood pass unless it's really worth it.

I remember a quite brilliant pass, 40 yards maybe more struck with perfect precision out to Giggs on the left who I believe slotted it across the box to Rooney to stroke in (found link to it ‪Manchester united vs Chelsea 6/4/11 Rooney goal champions l‬‏ - YouTube.) If that was Scholes or Gerrard or Xavi then that pass would have been hailed as superb yet since it was Carrick it was hardly given a mention. Just shows how under appreciated he is at times. Defensively very good at putting himself in a position where he doesn't need to slide in to make a challenge and wonderfully composed on the ball. He is a top player in my eyes

I'm glad that few other sees what he brings to the team. Surprisingly there is a United forum where Carrick is hated to death by few. Posted this and they got their knickers in twist downplaying everything. Was not surprised to see that though. They want Carrick to be like Gattuso, Keane, and other top class DMs..

I'm glad that few other sees what he brings to the team. Surprisingly there is a United forum where Carrick is hated to death by few. Posted this and they got their knickers in twist downplaying everything. Was not surprised to see that though. They want Carrick to be like Gattuso, Keane, and other top class DMs..

Problem is with some Man Utd fans are that they are too expectant (which given success etc I suppose we have every right to be) but to dislike Carrick because he isn't the same as someone like Keano is just crazy. Roy Keane was a one of player, a player who like so many before and after him are a struggle too replace. Michael isn't as "hard" on the pitch compared to what Keano was but still does the same duties very well.

Very well written, well backed up piece. I've always considered Carrick a key member of the United squad, someone who controls the pace and links the entire team together.

I :wub: Carrick and I do not give a **** what anyone says :)

he is one of the most underrated midfielders in the EPL if not the world. He is not a flashy goalscoring attacking Cm like Gerrard or Lampard, that has never been his game, he sits back in the pouch, reads the game, positions himself to intercept or block off passes (but no one really sees this as he is not actually doing anything to a certain degree) when he is on the ball, he is composed, unphased and at sometimes ingenious...

as some of the other members mentioned, if he plays a magnificent ball no one really says anything, but if other players do it it's the best pass of the season...

he is an integral part of the Midfield at United and will be for the next 2 or 3 seasons! the only criticism I can give is that he does need to concentrate for the entire 90 minutes and have a few more digs at goal when he has the space as 90% of the time he is looking for the pass instead!

Im a united fan (clearly^^) and i dont think he is good in fact i think he is *****!

I hate him, think he's uber ****.

coming from a Wigan Athletic fan ;)

I apologise, below the belt and all that... would be interested to find out why you think hes "uber ****" though.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Im a united fan (clearly^^) and i dont think he is good in fact i think he is *****!

again, it's all very well saying his **** but what backs up your theory that he is?

just interested to know thats all.

coming from a Wigan Athletic fan ;)

I apologise, below the belt and all that... would be interested to find out why you think hes "uber ****" though.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

again, it's all very well saying his **** but what backs up your theory that he is?

just interested to know thats all.

He is not good enough for united.

because his decision making,positioning and stamina

please do not destroy a perfectly good and well researched thread! if you have opinions, kindly share them and give valid points, do not just try and tickle Carrick and United fans ****...

thank you,

Management :P

recent success tells the story though, the four years previous to having Michael Carrick, all United had to show for their efforts was an FA Cup and Carling Cup. I think it's no real suprise to me that since Carrick joined, you have to say Utd have been dominate in English football (4 titles in 5 years and all that) and to be fair, if it wasn't for Barcelona being so annoyingly awesome, we'd off dominated European football more as well (3 finals in 4 years and so on) I'm not saying it's all down to Michael, of course it isn't but his style of play and importance on the pitch has certainly helped us to be where we are right now.

He could have added a bit, but I doubt he could have improved the English national team by very much. He has played 22 matches for the national team and to my knowledge he didn't exactly blow the opponents out of the water. A good player, but no world class player.

Better than Barry though. Defensively aswell as offensively.

He could have added a bit, but I doubt he could have improved the English national team by very much. He has played 22 matches for the national team and to my knowledge he didn't exactly blow the opponents out of the water. A good player, but no world class player.

Better than Barry though. Defensively aswell as offensively.

That what, Carrick is not someone who can win you games alone, but his role was badly missed by England. Someone who has good positional sense, who can sit back and protect back 4, who can keep the game ticking, someone to carry the ball from defense.

Back