Michael Carrick – The England Player That Never Was

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 5K
When I hear comments like "he's ****", I just want to....sigh excessively loudly. He has on more than one occassion, demonstrated why Fergie got him. Ball retention, and doing what he does best-the simple, yet most effective things. The way I see it, some Man Utd fans (some btw) have been so used to seeing players like David Beckham, C Ronaldo, they have failed to notice the basics of football, like what Carrick does, and because it's not fancy like doing step overs, or crossing the ball on to a 10p piece, immediately its "naaa he's ****".

Football isn't all about fancy steps all the time, 40 yard crosses into the box, trying to be as attractive as possible week in week out. Proper football is doing the basics right, and working as a team. And that is why Fergie is so successful, because that is what he drills into players. And that is why Man Utd are the most successful and biggest team in England. And that is why I like Carrick a lot. Because what he does is so simple, yet effective.

Absolutely brutal player! Embaressed that people even think hes even good enough for england! yes he keeps the ball.. however through sideways or backwards passes! also hes not even good defensively, average at most.. not half the player of Darren Fletcher IMO.. Liverpool fan by the way

Absolutely brutal player! Embaressed that people even think hes even good enough for england! yes he keeps the ball.. however through sideways or backwards passes! also hes not even good defensively, average at most.. not half the player of Darren Fletcher IMO.. Liverpool fan by the way

Michael Carrick also made more forward passes in last season’s Champions League than Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta, rubbishing the myth that he only passes sideways and backwards. Michael Carrick (417), Andres Iniesta (384).

There also appears to be a rumour going round that Michael Carrick is poor at defending and that Manchester United need to buy a midfield destroyer. I suppose the fact that no other player, except Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes, made more interceptions in last season’s Champions League puts that myth to bed too.

For a reason I marked this part of the article in bold. Shame you missed it..

Could have fooled us..

I've have to admit that I've never really liked Carrick, although it was nice to see him find some good form after he signed a new contract last season. He's obviously great at ball retention, one of the best in the division, and underrated in the same way that Mikel is for Chelsea. My real gripe with Carrick though, is his defensive frailties. His reading of the game is superb, but I just cannot understand how a man of his size can be so easily bullied off the ball. He's six foot +, yet doesn't attack the ball with his head with any conviction and is too frequently out-muscled in defensive situations. It hasn't helped his cause that mistakes have been magnified, but he has cost us in big games against Bayern and City in recent seasons. I just wish he was more tenacious in the tackle and stronger off the ball, but I have no doubt that he would be well suited for international football. I hope he can step out of Scholes' shadow now and take more responsibilty, he's definitely good enough to control matches like Scholes used to

I've have to admit that I've never really liked Carrick, although it was nice to see him find some good form after he signed a new contract last season. He's obviously great at ball retention, one of the best in the division, and underrated in the same way that Mikel is for Chelsea. My real gripe with Carrick though, is his defensive frailties. His reading of the game is superb, but I just cannot understand how a man of his size can be so easily bullied off the ball. He's six foot +, yet doesn't attack the ball with his head with any conviction and is too frequently out-muscled in defensive situations. It hasn't helped his cause that mistakes have been magnified, but he has cost us in big games against Bayern and City in recent seasons. I just wish he was more tenacious in the tackle and stronger off the ball, but I have no doubt that he would be well suited for international football. I hope he can step out of Scholes' shadow now and take more responsibilty, he's definitely good enough to control matches like Scholes used to

My only gripe with him. Wish he was half brave as Vidic. And his mistakes are way too magnified.

My only gripe with him. Wish he was half brave as Vidic. And his mistakes are way too magnified.

His mistake are magnified because of where and when he does make them TBF

His mistake are magnified because of where and when he does make them TBF

Yeah, Strange that his mistakes always leads to goals, and same sort of mistake from other players, somehow opponents ***** up the chances.

It's a real shame that Hargreaves had so many injury problems, he has the tenacity and incredible work rate that Carrick lacks, but he can also retain possession (although not quite to Carrick's high standard). I'm a fan of the old fashioned, 'traditional english' type players that give 100% and throw themselves into every challenge, but times have changed and players like Carrick are at the forefront of world football right now. I just feel we need a destroyer option for big games against big teams (Fletcher/Jones maybe?)

It's a real shame that Hargreaves had so many injury problems, he has the tenacity and incredible work rate that Carrick lacks, but he can also retain possession (although not quite to Carrick's high standard). I'm a fan of the old fashioned, 'traditional english' type players that give 100% and throw themselves into every challenge, but times have changed and players like Carrick are at the forefront of world football right now. I just feel we need a destroyer option for big games against big teams (Fletcher/Jones maybe?)

Just can stop loving our classic games with Keane and Ince as CMs. Wish we had someone like that now..

I suppose Xabi Alonso could be right. Gerrard enjoyed his best period at Liverpool while playing alongside Xabi Alonso, a player whose passing is as good as Michael Carrick’s.

Good article, agree with it all.. except the highlighted part; as good as Carrick is, Alonso's isn't ''as good as Carrick's'', he is on a whole different level to Carrick.

Good OP apart from that though.

Good article, agree with it all.. except the highlighted part; as good as Carrick is, Alonso's isn't ''as good as Carrick's'', he is on a whole different level to Carrick.

Good OP apart from that though.

Yeah, maybe exaggerated to make a strong point. I agree, Alonso is on different level when it comes to passing..

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Looks the real deal, I can't wait to see how he develops at Peterboro. I live about 20 mins away from there, hopefully I'll get down to see a few games.

Please update in ManUtd discussion thread about his performances. I'm very eager to see how he performs in Championship..

Yeah, maybe exaggerated to make a strong point. I agree, Alonso is on different level when it comes to passing..

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Please update in ManUtd discussion thread about his performances. I'm very eager to see how he performs in Championship..

Will do. Unfortunately I work most saturdays and I plan to play next year too, so I will only see a few games

He's a solid player, but has gone downhill recently. Doesn't really fit into the passer/creator/destroyer system we're using now either - he's not tenacious enough to be the destroyer or forward thinking enough to be the passer (and is definitely worse than Lamps and Wilshere at this) -- and clearly not a creator. So yeah, not really suitable for our double pivot midfield

He's a solid player, but has gone downhill recently. Doesn't really fit into the passer/creator/destroyer system we're using now either - he's not tenacious enough to be the destroyer or forward thinking enough to be the passer (and is definitely worse than Lamps and Wilshere at this) -- and clearly not a creator. So yeah, not really suitable for our double pivot midfield

In said scenario, isn't the role of the passer to retain possession and get the ball to the creator? That is what Carrick is best at...

In our 433 though, the "passer" and "creator" aren't fully defined roles, Lampard often made runs from deep as well (this would happen even more, I imagine with a Gerrard/Wilshere combo, which we'll likely field in the Euros), with the destroyer taking all the defensive resposibilty. I guess we need more of a Xavi style passer than an Alonso one, to draw a parallel. Just my opinion, but I think it'd get the best out of our high quality midfield

Back