Michael Essien 'horror' tackle on Pennant

Do you think it was worthy of:

• Total voters
one simply reason and for this and shot me down and what ever but it has got more airtime because its Wayne Rooney, purely and simply as that but like I keep going back to, Rooney swearing in a different match has nothing to do with Essien not getting sent off for this challenge.

He should have been sent off but nothing more should come of it because the PL should be consistant simple as that.

He should have been sent off but nothing more should come of it because the PL should be consistant simple as that.

thats the arguement though, the FA aren't consistant and that's what gets on people nervous so much.

It really is such an obvious red card.. yes i think the referees are starting to clamp down on things too much as there are alot of sendings off that should have been recently

BUT

No doubt essien should have been sent off.. two footed, stoods showing and off the ground.. no-one can argue with that as its for everyone to see in the video

Eh? I'm saying he should've definitely been sent off. Earlier you said it warranted a yellow at most. I don't follow.

Did you not see what I posted earlier?

Wasn't me. I put yellow, I think but after thinknig about it I agree, it's a red, but people are dragging out of proportion. You see one of these tackles per game/two games it's not the 'worse challenge of the season' Bosingwa made a worse challenge later on in the game, did you see that CJACKO? It wasn't two-footed or off the floor, but it was a lot more dangerous than Essien's IMO.

I said I thought it wasn't a red yesterday but watched it again today and if you're going by the rules then yes, it's a red, but no more.

The fact this tackle has had hardly no airtime and Rooneys rant has says it all for me.

The media don't broadcast based on severity of a situation. They broadcast what sells.

Are you really so naive as to base your opinion on the media?

Thats fair enough.
It should have been a red. The referee saw it and only gave a freekick so it would be inconsistent for the FA to retrospectively punish him.

Thats fine but it isn't what we've been talking about. You surely must see that Essien almost breaking someone's leg is worse than Rooney swearing?

I said I thought it wasn't a red yesterday but watched it again today and if you're going by the rules then yes, it's a red, but no more.

Of course we're going by the rules, that's what the rules are for. It's a red and the few matches ban that come with it.

What do you mean "and no more"? As in, he shouldn't get banned a long with it? Or what?

You've really shot yourself in the foot with this thread.. Hardly anyone has supported your original claim that it isn't as bad as Rooney swearing and isn't as bad as the pictures make it look.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Of course we're going by the rules, that's what the rules are for. It's a red and the few matches ban that come with it.

Wtf else would we going by?

What do you mean "and no more"? As in, he shouldn't get banned a long with it? Or what?

You've really shot yourself in the foot with this thread.. Hardly anyone has supported your original claim that it isn't as bad as Rooney swearing and isn't as bad as the pictures make it look.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Wtf else would we going by?

No more as in; no he shouldn't go to prison, he shouldn't get a 6 match ban, he shouldn't be banned from football and all the other ludicrous ideas people have been suggesting. Of course he should be banned, but not now if he had been red carded then yes. How can someone be red carded but not given the ban unless the FA review it as being a good tackle?!

No, I haven't shot myself in the foot, can I not change my opinion that it was a red not a yellow?! Of course it looks worse on the picture than the video! I couldn't care less whether nobody supports my claim that it wasn't as bad as Rooney swearing into the camera, Rooney has to set an example while he's on the pitch of what's right and wrong to do as a role model to young children. On the picture it actually looks like both feet are planted on his leg and if that was the case he wouldn't have gotten up after rolling around and taken the free kick.

Rooney swore at who are effectively the people who pay his wages

The fans who go to games pay the players' wages, no?

The Cohen challenge was also a red just for the danger aspect. Had he mistimed it, it could have been a broken leg. It isn't about whether a player actually gets seriously injured, it's about how reckless the challenge is.

The fans who go to games pay the players' wages, no?

The Cohen challenge was also a red just for the danger aspect. Had he mistimed it, it could have been a broken leg. It isn't about whether a player actually gets seriously injured, it's about how reckless the challenge is.

Utd get more money from Sky then they will do from the gates.

Utd get more money from Sky then they will do from the gates.

He didnt swear directly at the, he more swore in there presences, it was like one of them situations in school, where you say. ******* **** loudly in class and the teacher is behind you, and hears, normally just says mind your language please. Not the same as going straight to them, " **** you" when you get a proper punihsment.

Not a horror tackle, and probably doesn't even merit a yellow, good tackle.