Michael Essien 'horror' tackle on Pennant

Do you think it was worthy of:

• Total voters
It's not worse because it didn't injure him on this occasion. It had the potential to, which makes it worse. Just because Pennant has got lucky and suffered no injury is completely irrelevant to the severity of the challenge.

Well it does because all we can say is Essien could have broken Pennants leg but then you can say Rooney could have not swore at the camera. The fact is Rooney went through with his action and nothing more came from Essiens.

Well it does because all we can say is Essien could have broken Pennants leg but then you can say Rooney could have not swore at the camera. The fact is Rooney went through with his action and nothing more came from Essiens.

what? essien when through on his actions, only luck prevented any injury. you dont need to cause an injury to get a red card

Just can't believe someone is saying swearing into Cam > Two footed reckless challenge.

Massive flaw in your logic. You're comparing the cause of an incident and the resultant of an action. The correct comparison would be to say Essien didn't need to make the tackle, just like Rooney didn't need to swear at the camera.

By your logic, if you make a simple slide tackle and the player twists his ankle, then it's a worse tackle than a two footed lunge that causes no injury. Which is clearly, wrong.

regardless whether Pennant got an injury following this tackle isn't relevant. Essien got none of the ball, you could argue that the intent was there. it was a cowards tackle, two footed off the floor, dangerous and deserves a red card simple as that.

Definate red card, but lol at the people saying he should be jailed, banned for 3 months etc. You can't stamp out challenges like these, you can increase the ban length to make players more careful, but when emotions are running high mistakes will happen. You can reduce the amount of these tackles, but they will always be in the game.

Essiensigning.jpg

Im just saying Essien's actions never hurt anyone or let anyone down but Rooney's did. Both need to be stamped out simple as that.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Yer because thats funny?

Im just saying Essien's actions never hurt anyone or let anyone down but Rooney's did. Both need to be stamped out simple as that.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Yer because thats funny?

where is your proof of Rooney's actions hurting anybody though?

But could have actually broken someones leg, which, I suggest has a bigger impact on the game/someones career, than swearing down a camera lens. The fact that he didn't cause serious injury, should not negate the fact that the challenge had a high likelihood of causing serious injury because it was two footed and out of control, and thus deserves punishment.

Yer because thats funny?

I was hurt seeing Essien jumping recklessly like a mad man. I would say he was my fav player and never expected that from the player i like.

Sunilvk7 put what I wanted to say to CJACKO11.
Essien could of broken someone's leg with a reckless challenge. That is more distressing and hurtful to the game then someone swearing into the lens after what has been a troubled season for Rooney.
Pennant could of been out for months. People watching it would feel distressed and remember it for couple of days.
People who saw Rooney swear had a little shocked expression, then forgot about it till they heard about it again.
Do you honestly think what Rooney did was worse?

YouTube - NOTTINGHAM FOREST Chris Cohen SENT OFF

Nottingham Forest's Chris Cohen was sent off against Leeds United on Saturday for this challenge.

This challenge is similar to that of Essiens but no injury was caused but the lad still got sent off despite actually winning the ball.

I was watching this and I thought the card for Cohen was harsh, I thought the only reason that the guy was hurt was the way he landed on the ball. Back to Essien, I think that he should of got a red.

it wasn't a "horror" tackle just abit late
and also it didn't happen to an Arsenal player LOL

Definate red card, but lol at the people saying he should be jailed, banned for 3 months etc. You can't stamp out challenges like these, you can increase the ban length to make players more careful, but when emotions are running high mistakes will happen. You can reduce the amount of these tackles, but they will always be in the game.

^Read the truth people. Banning Essien for a bad tackle would be insane, particularly as he didn't go in with much malice. To me, he looked like he was trying to pull out. Red card yes, long ban no.

Mature.

Lets not forget Essien got booked for the challenge because the ref saw it so in the PL's eyes the case is closed.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I was hurt seeing Essien jumping recklessly like a mad man. I would say he was my fav player and never expected that from the player i like.

Its not the first time Essien has been reckless in a challenge. In fairness this was proberly one of his better if you can say that.

YouTube - NOTTINGHAM FOREST Chris Cohen SENT OFF

Nottingham Forest's Chris Cohen was sent off against Leeds United on Saturday for this challenge.

This challenge is similar to that of Essiens but no injury was caused but the lad still got sent off despite actually winning the ball.

I watched this as well and thought at first it was a harsh decision although I'm a bit undecided. He did go flying in off the ground with two feet and simply that's not allowed.

Essien's challenge was by far the worse one as he was nowhere near the ball and actually made contact with Pennant whilst Cohen clearly won the ball.

How anyone can argue that Rooney swearing into a camera is worse is beyond me. I'm sure people recover from swearing (for those few that were actually bothered by it) where as challenges like Essien's can be career ending. Essien is very lucky in my opinion and I hope that the FA review the incident. However I don't know if that's possible because the ref gave a free-kick and dealt with it so can the FA act on it?