Michael Essien 'horror' tackle on Pennant

Do you think it was worthy of:

• Total voters

ChrisBird

Reaction score
So here is the video of the Michael Essien challenge that everybody has been saying was deserved of a red, and is worse than Rooney swearing in to the camera:
[video=youtube;sYNpldrC3fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYNpldrC3fs[/video]
As you can see it's really not anywhere near as bad as the gif and picture made it look.

Last edited:
As you can see it's really not anywhere near as bad as the gif and picture made it look.

Only because it's from an angle where Pennant's body gets in the way. Watch it from 0:39 onwards (or preferably with a better video, since that quality is awful) and you can see the contact. Pretty shocking tackle, nowhere near the ball and if the leg had been planted there was a very good chance of extreme damage.

Red card, IMO.

How is that not a red card? He went in with his studs showing (illegal, red card), two feet (illegal, red card) and was halfway off the ground (illegal, red card).

Real time yes it was hard to tell but that doesn't mean it's not worthy of one.

Only because it's from an angle where Pennant's body gets in the way. Watch it from 0:39 onwards (or preferably with a better video, since that quality is awful) and you can see the contact. Pretty shocking tackle, nowhere near the ball and if the leg had been planted there was a very good chance of extreme damage.

Red card, IMO.
Your opinion, but I really don't think it's that bad. plus you'd know if it was a horror tackle because Pulis would have complained about it all through his post-match interview.

Red without a doubt.

'So here is the video of the Michael Essien challenge that everybody has been saying was deserved of a red, and is worse than Rooney swearing in to the camera'.

It is obviously worse than someone swearing, a broken leg is far worse than the public being offended. Pennant was lucky and Essien was too.

Your opinion, but I really don't think it's that bad. plus you'd know if it was a horror tackle because Pulis would have complained about it all through his post-match interview.

Sid just explained my views on why it should be. Why do you think it shouldn't be a red? To me, it's pretty indefensible. The only thing you could possibly say is that he looked a bit like he was trying to pull out.

Maybe Pulis hadn't seen the replay? As the player got up again fairly quickly and the game continued, it wasn't something anyone apart from the commentators could dwell on.

Red Card.
You can't just jump into a tackle with both feet showing studs and expect to stay on the pitch, okay there was no serious harm done but them kinda tackle's can end a players career.

did pennat get injured. ?

why does that matter? it's got nothing to do with whether the player gets injured or not. If it's a foul it's a foul, if it's worthy of a red, it's worthy of a red. Not oh that was worthy of a red but he didn't get injured so I'll let him off.

Essiens always been a filthy player, to defend that tackle borders on delusional. If Pennants leg had been planted and supporting his weight, Essien would have caused serious damage.

When I first saw it I thought it was a yellow, but seeing it again it is a definite red IMO. King Sid explains why very well ;)

Edit: I think I accidentally voted yellow though :mad:

Last edited:
from this view it doesnt look as bad but i just seen the other view and it is a red for sure.
essiens been known for throwing his self into a few tackles tbh.

hqdxdg.jpg

Definitely a red.

hqdxdg.jpg

Definitely a red.

You could do that with most tackles and it would make them look horrible challenges and both feet don't actually make contact it just looks like it from that angle. There's at least 1 of these a game.

Last edited:
You could do that with most tackles and it would make them look horrible challenges and both feet don't actually make contact it just looks like it from that angle. There's is at least 1 of these a game.

Are you being serious?

Should be ******* jailed, had the leg been planted he could've ended his career in the blink of an eye.

Should be ******* jailed, had the leg been planted he could've ended his career in the blink of an eye.
Totally agree.
Pennant did Essien a favor not making a deal out of it. Red card, fine, 6 month ban