May sound silly, but if I were looking for young players to fit this tactic in future, would it make sense to drop some mental/technical attributes down in filter, and set max age to 18-21?

Would I actually find the players I want that way?

Theoretically yes, because you'd nurture them into better players (that would be found in the original filter).

This tactic is the best I've used on FM12. I was 10-5-0 using a 4231, but an injury crisis left me screwed. I'm now in Feb, having won 9 straight games using this tactic.

1 qualm.
Rio Ferdinand just bagged his second hat-trick, I'll probably fiddle with the corners.

Hi Dave (it's ChiccO from SortitoutSI),

Nice to see another good tactic published by yourself. Just about to try it out on my new Hearts save. So I will let you know how I get on. I do have a question though:-

Filters - I notice that you have all attributes value set at '13' for each filter. But what if I am unable to find a player for a position that meets the attributes criteria? Do I lower one of the attributes or do i lower the matches by one? If so, is there any attributes for each position that can be lowered or left out and still find players that are suitable for the position?

Or would you personally just adjust all of the attributes down to 12?

Any other input from any other users who have been playing as Lower League teams for the search filters is also appreciated.

Last edited:
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (Or who I've ****** off in a previous life) but this tactic is failing miserably in my Hearts save.

We seem to be shipping goals like it's going out of fashion as well as barely creating more than 5 attempts per match.

Anyone else experience this??

Hi Dave just wondering if there is anything you can do half way through the season when the AI becomes accustomed to the tactic?

A superb, solid tactic with immediate impact! Thank you Dave!

The only problem I've found is that almost in every match one of my players get a red card...

I turn the formation to 4-1-1-2-1 (the MCL or MCR is subsituted).

I've lost all the derbies because of this (I play with AEK Athens/Greece). It is annoying...

Is there anything to do to fix it? (I play with version 12.0.2)

Amazing tactic mrhough.

Just started a new game and planned to use this with my Valencia team.
Brought in:

Kara £1.2m
Salvatore Bocchetti £14m
Kyle Walker (Loan)
Sven Bender £6.5
Nicolas Gaitan £14.25m
Sidney Sam (£3.9) (Amazing player, plays AMRL, 23 years old.. acceleration 18, pace 16, flair 18, long shots 17, first touch 16, finishing 17, dribbling 16).. and at under £4m!

Valencia already had very good CM's to complement this tactic, Daniel Parejo, Ever Banega, Alberto Costa and Sergio Canales.

5 games, 5 wins..
Racing Santander 5-0
Atletico Madrid 2-1
Ajax 7-0
Sporting Gijon 3-2
Barcelona 2-0

Just wanna add to the Ajax games, was at home.. Had 38 shots on goals with 21 shots on target! And 13 clear cut chances! Screeny below..
View attachment 206566

Plays very nice football too, great tactic.

I'll keep you updated..

Last edited:
A superb, solid tactic with immediate impact! Thank you Dave!

The only problem I've found is that almost in every match one of my players get a red card...

I turn the formation to 4-1-1-2-1 (the MCL or MCR is subsituted).

I've lost all the derbies because of this (I play with AEK Athens/Greece). It is annoying...

Is there anything to do to fix it? (I play with version 12.0.2)

Discipline your player's and they'll get the idea... it worked for me.

Definitely don't use Opposition Instructions! I was using them because I didn't read the opening post fully.

Played 9 Won 2 Drew 2 Lost 5 GD -7

I realised my error and stopped using them (also reduced the defensive line by one notch cause I've fairly slow defenders)

Played 6 Won 6 GD +14

Ive tried both your new tactics on FM12 and whilst both have delivered sound results I've found myself returning to your FM 11.3 4-1-2-3 tactics

I have an Portsmouth save and an Everton save going both on which i was begining to struggle. I switched to your old tactics and bam! succes on a plate.

Portsmouth - League / FA Cup and final of Europa league.
Everton - Prem + Champions League winners.

Tactic thread - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ining/71633-mr-hough-wants-job-si-tactic.html

Download - 3 Pedigrees and a Tombstone Piledriver..... (Tottenham, Dec 2010).tac

I dont know how everyone is getting success in this tactic.

Firstly, we concede alot of goals.
Secoundly, the two MC's do nothing.
Thirdly, We lose in many cup finals.

I have the reccomended player attributes to match each position, but we seem to concede goals at stupid points and not score many goals. I was managing Blackburn then Liverpool, it worked really well for Blackburn but we did concde alot of goals and with liverpool its just failing.

Also, at the end of the season our fluid goes down. Am i the only one experiancing this? Please help.

I play with Eastwood Town in Blue square Bet North. For 24 played games i am first with 8 points ahead.
19 won 2 draw 3 lost . I have lost 0-1 in FA cup 1st round against Scunthorpe, but missed a penalty and dominated in the game.they scored at 92 min..so i am happy with the overall play.

Thanks for this tactic. To let you know how i am getting on.
I used your 1st fm12 tactic with 1dm and 1cm and 2 up front for the 1st 2 seasons then switched to this one and i have had 6 season with it.
I am in my 8th season as manager of Swansea City.
With your 1st tactic i secured 10th place then 8th place the following season.
Since using this new one, for the last 6 seasons i have finished, 7th, 6th, 5th,4th 3rd and now 2nd !!!
I lost the final of the europa league to newcastle and on my 1st champions league i beat barca 4-3 in the final. The next champions league campaign i won also and am now in the semi finals on my 3rd. I have won the fa cup 2 years running. My problem in the league is man city are so **** good ! They never seem to drop points !!!!
I have tended to buy young players cheaply and wait a few years for them to develop nicely.
Players i have bought who are now superb:
4 1/2 stars Rosario Crimi (AML)
Marcelo Fortunato (ST)
4 stars Peter Kozack (AML) Diego Fernandez (AMR) Lorenzo Crisetig (DM) Jean Marie Dongouh (AMR/ST)
Nzokoria (GK) Mark Davis (DL) Mick Limon (CB) Talaat (CB)

I have won the fa cup the league cup and the champions league twice. I have increased my stadium and sell out. This tactic is great. I just need to win silly games which i seem to draw in the league (eg wolves, bolton) and not drop silly points then the league will be mine, hopefully.
Great tactic.
Thanks Mr Hough.

Great Tactic!!! I have been struggling to find a formation that works well for me with my Doncaster team since i got them to the premiership.. My last 2 seasons with Doncaster we finnished 10th and 12th respectivly. Since the start of the new season using this tactic we are currently 3rd in the Prem played 9 won 6 drawn 3.

Another thing that i :wub: about this tactic is the ammount of shots that this makes my last game last night i went 2-0 down to swansea at half time after stern words and a few subs we came out and won the 5th round of the League cup 4-2..

If i were to mention any negatives with this tactic is that at times it dosen't seem to create enough CCC's how ever that could just be down to the players and the team that i have picked for match day

I also have my youth and reserve team using this tactic and the results my youth and reserve teams are bringing in tho is amazing allot of promising endevours will come out from my youth if i can develop them properly as many of them are min *** star - **** and a half star

I just wanna up date you even further, i tested your tatic for the whole season, bar a few games (where the tactic was more in favour of loosing to teams like city and Utd) other then that it completely walked all over the premiership i went the whole season un-beaten. Winning the FA+League cup and was crowned champions with 4 games to spare, and of those remaing 4 i won 3 and drew 1..

Unfortunatly i was not able to use ur short lists to find suitable players for the roles and positions for the formation, so i had to do allot of my own work and find my own and well the tactic is just amazing!!

Here are some screen shots of my season and players:-
View attachment 215335View attachment 215336View attachment 215337View attachment 215338View attachment 215339View attachment 215340View attachment 215341View attachment 215342View attachment 215343View attachment 215344View attachment 215345View attachment 215347View attachment 215348View attachment 215351View attachment 215353View attachment 215354View attachment 215356

Last edited: