Mr Houghs 4-1-2-3 Final Unbeaten

mrhough

Reaction score
First off i wanna say thanks to Kevy Matts for Initially posting my Tactics on here as I'm normally a SI forums man and Rarely Venture over to other Forums, That said I've been very impressed with this forum not only in the Tactics department but Overall the Downloads and Help that you provide is Excellent so it's BIG :wub: From Mr Hough.

OK since now we have the **** Kissing out the way (K) We can move on the the reason your viewing this thread.

I decided to make a new Thread for my Latest Tactic (I hope the mods don't mind) because i thought that the original Wonder Thread was getting abit clogged and this way people can get to my latest one easy without asking a thousand Questions about which one is best and why.

Nike Defence and Theory Behind It

I had been getting alot of questions asking for advice about the defence in my tactics with people generally asking how it could be improved, After Thinking about it i decided to look into the defence and have a look at threads on defence and came across one on the SI forums called 'Park The Tank' which uses the Infamous 'Nike' defence system.

This thread had been around for a while and I'd looked at it a few times but really started looking into my defence and trying to implement the 'NIke' Defence into my tactics. Here is a screen shot of the 'Nike' defence System.

NikeDefence.jpg

As you can see it Resembles the 'Nike' sign hence it's name the Nike Defence.

The way the defence works is that it employs the cover stopper system in a sense with the 2 central defenders 2 mentality clicks apart and then the Fullbacks being 2 Mentality Clicks away from the Highest Defender so it should look like this.

Keeper : 7
DC : Cover 6
DC : Stopper 8
Fullbacks : 10
DM CMD : 9

So that's the way it is set up, These aren't what I've used but a rough guide if you where gonna use this then you should look into it properly to get it **** on for your team.

Best Form Of Defence ATTACK

I haven't changed the Much in the attack just a few changes to the Tempo and the Creative Freedom.

The changes to the Tempo will Stop my players Dwelling on the Ball Especially if i don't have good passers in the team i don't want to be caught in possession in my Defence or midfield and then the Opposition counter and Score so a slight change here that makes everything move abit quicker.

The Creative Freedom changes are to the strikers only instead of Max they are on notch of normal which helps keep balance because they will listen to my Instructions instead of doing whatever they want.

Here is a screen shot of the Attack in motion.
AttackinMotion-1.jpg

As you can see from the Screen shot that the Attack is Pretty Effective.

So Basically that's the Principles of the tactic.

Success!

I have Tested this Final Version with 3 different Teams Arsenal Hull City and Blyth Spartans, So a Wide range of teams from lower league to Bottom Prem teams and Top Prem Teams

Here is a Screen from my First 10 Games with Blyth.
Blyth10gamesin.jpg

I had signed a few players all on Free Transfers but to go unbeaten in my first 10 games is Impressive.

Next up it's Arsenal and as you would Expect i not only won all my games but i dominated the Opposition Including a 5-1 win Over Man Utd 2-0 Over Liverpool and 3-1 Over Man City who where Unbeaten at the time and 1 point Behind me.
Arsenal10gamesin.jpg

Finally Hull City and i Never expected what i saw with them and I can Geekily say I got extremely Excited when i seen the Results and Domination of some teams. On the Hull City save I Noticed alot of my players where Injured so I used FMRT just to make them Fit for the start of the season, I have never used it again at any time apart from right at the start of the Save. I Signed 1 Player aswell on Loan a DM player.

Here is the League Table with Hull City Remarkable.
Hull10gamesin.jpg

Also here is the Fixture List from Hull City.
HullFixtures.jpg

So that's the success i have had with this Latest tactic, It's not been tested over alot of time as you can see but i certainly know a good tactic when i see one that's why i have posted this latest Version so early.

Player Positions and Other Information.

I'm gonna Upload Player Filters Because it will be easier than you having to Manually check every Attribute.

If you download them and put them in Documents/Sports interactive/FM10/Filters.

To load them in game to to your player search screen Click on manage filters the click on import and they should be there. after you have loaded them click on ok then if you go down to quick filters they will be there

Keeper. http://www.filefront.com/16477519/Mr%20Hough%20Keeper%20Filter.%20%20%28David%20Hough%2C%20Apr%202014%29.pft

Fullbacks. http://www.filefront.com/16477525/Mr Hough RB LB Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Central Defenders. http://www.filefront.com/16477531/Mr Hough CB Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Anchor Man. http://www.filefront.com/16477543/Mr Hough Anchor Man Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Central Midfielder. http://www.filefront.com/16477555/Mr Hough CM Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Left + Right Striker. http://www.filefront.com/16477567/Mr Hough Left and Right ST Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Middle Striker. http://www.filefront.com/16477575/Mr Hough Middle ST Filter (David Hough, Apr 2014).pft

Pitch Size: Minimum.

Training: Tuggs Training.

Team Talks: Use which you personally Prefer I've heard Wolfgang's are good so you could try them.

Opposition Instructions: Ask Assistant.

A few people have been asking about the Skin I'm using so i'm gonna link that too http://www.filefront.com/16489377/Vitreous Mr Hough Skin.rar

Tactic

Are you still with me good :D This is the part you want but i hope you have read through the OP as it will help you understand how the tactic plays better.

http://www.filefront.com/16470297/Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-Unbeaten-Final-Version.-Arsenal-Oct-2009.tac/

Here is a Link to the Mr Hough and JP Woody tactic. It's basically the same as the Unbeaten but this is in the Wizard Mould instead of the Classic Style.

http://www.filefront.com/16523081/Mr-Hough-and-JP-Woody-Final-Version-10.3-Everton-Nov-2009.tac/
As always Feedback is Welcome weather Criticism or Praise all is helpful so make sure you comment.

Thanks for reading and Enjoy.

Last edited:
i will defo try this one out loved the old formation great work

i try this in my 2nd season with mancity i let yo know how i get on

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Hough, i loved your previous wonder tactic, i'm currently using it with Madrid and won the world cup with spain :D
am i right in guessing that this is based on the same formation as your previous one? :D

Hey Mr. Hough, i loved your previous wonder tactic, i'm currently using it with Madrid and won the world cup with spain :D
am i right in guessing that this is based on the same formation as your previous one? :D
Yeah thats completly right it's the same 4-1-2-3 formation

Can I ask wht those numbers mean by the positions in the Nike Defence bit, I might be being a bit of a noob but I don't really understand what it translates to.

Can I ask wht those numbers mean by the positions in the Nike Defence bit, I might be being a bit of a noob but I don't really understand what it translates to.
The numbers mean where abouts the slidder is on the mentality setting.

Like cover defender is 6 notches in stopper defenders is 8 notches in and so on

Oh thanks a lot! I am going to emploiy these into my current tactics if you do not mind and am going to release a new version of my tactic if it works well. :)

Is that right that the keeper does not have a defensive mentality?

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Why has the keeper not got defensive mentality?

Nice job. Ill be sure to test them as soon as i get some free time from work. Looking very impressive. Thanks for uploading.

Oh thanks a lot! I am going to emploiy these into my current tactics if you do not mind and am going to release a new version of my tactic if it works well. :)

Is that right that the keeper does not have a defensive mentality?

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Why has the keeper not got defensive mentality?
It's just the way the Nike defence is set up, i don't think it's a good idea to have a massive gap between the Defenders and the Keeper, If the Defensive line was deeper it would be reduced but because the Line is high the Keepers Mentality is.

Think of him as a sweeper keeper clearly all the balls the that Opposition try and play through.

Works really well.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Nice job. Ill be sure to test them as soon as i get some free time from work. Looking very impressive. Thanks for uploading.
Thanks jp, I'm trying to Rival you in the Tactical Guru status lmao, Only joking mate.

Thanks pal, I am now putting it into my West Ham tactic to see how it works. :)

Shouldnt be too difficult. XD

Will you be making a wizard version?
i don't think so, I initially made it in the wizard but i couldn't get it as i wanted so changed to Classic as i felt it gave me more options to play with.

If my AFC Liverpool tactics fail on me, I'll definetly give this a shot. Thanks for the upload :)

Will it work the same with a high defensive line?

why don't you find out yourself, instead of asking mr. hough all the time.
at the end of the day, your trying to implement the nike defence into your own tactic, so only you know.

When i first set up the Nike defence i started off with the highest possible line then moved it back a notch at a time as i kept getting caught out with long balls, This is the best setting i found if it was deeper we'd be getting the Oppositions pressure to much.

By all means try it though but it probably won't work as good.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

hello, sorry for posting this on your thread, but i have just created an account, but do not know how to start a new thread, any help will be appreciated! once again sorry, and thank you!
If you look in the main Tactics part you will see what says "Post New Thread" thats how you do it.

Looks like a very stable tactic which has been explained in a VERY good way.
My compliments Mr Houghs...

I will test it in my FC Lahti game as I am struggling with my own tactic XD

Looks like a very stable tactic which has been explained in a VERY good way.
My compliments Mr Houghs...

I will test it in my FC Lahti game as I am struggling with my own tactic XD

Thanks for the Compliment Good luck with the tactic.