Still using this tactic with Huddersfield with great succes! Since i have a couple of regens that can only play cm i decided to tweak the tactic a little. I've found that putting a dm in the cm slot with the 'roaming playmaker' role and putting the dm on defend duty makes the tactic a little more dynamic. I feel like the cm picks up a lot of loose balls on the edge of the opponents box, while the dm on defend helps the defence out when the opponent tries to play direct counter attacks. The roaming playmaker also provides a great passing option when trying to build from the back, he is often able to pick the ball up in our own half and go on a run or switch the ball to the other flank. I can't say that this improves the tactic overall, maybe it just proves how stable the base of the deep sicilian v5 is!

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of CMs as well and now I have a way to use them in their natural position =)

I wonder if this tactic would work with both of the DMs moved to the CM slot.

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of CMs as well and now I have a way to use them in their natural position =)

I wonder if this tactic would work with both of the DMs moved to the CM slot.
this is the same problem I have great regen midfielders but they are better suited to be cms rather than dms

Still using this tactic with Huddersfield with great succes! Since i have a couple of regens that can only play cm i decided to tweak the tactic a little. I've found that putting a dm in the cm slot with the 'roaming playmaker' role and putting the dm on defend duty makes the tactic a little more dynamic. I feel like the cm picks up a lot of loose balls on the edge of the opponents box, while the dm on defend helps the defence out when the opponent tries to play direct counter attacks. The roaming playmaker also provides a great passing option when trying to build from the back, he is often able to pick the ball up in our own half and go on a run or switch the ball to the other flank. I can't say that this improves the tactic overall, maybe it just proves how stable the base of the deep sicilian v5 is!

could you screenshot this tactic for us please? It seems that this is the perfect way to incorporate a more attacking MC in to the team...

could you screenshot this tactic for us please? It seems that this is the perfect way to incorporate a more attacking MC in to the team...

Sure thing, this is what it looks like right now:
View attachment 140001
I've found it to be a little vulnareble against narrow formations, especially the 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond, ive tried exploiting the flanks against these formations with some succes.
Just finished my 4th season with Huddersfield, won the league thanks to Liverpool beating Arsenal on the final day. Finished 4th and 2nd previous years. Also won the Champions League, after beating Manchester United with a ridiculous second-leg comeback in the semi-finals. My team is not nearly as good as the top teams, also have the 19th largest wage budget in the league. So fair to say it is an overachieving tactic.
View attachment 140000
View attachment 139997

Sure thing, this is what it looks like right now:
View attachment 1064729
I've found it to be a little vulnareble against narrow formations, especially the 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond, ive tried exploiting the flanks against these formations with some succes.
Just finished my 4th season with Huddersfield, won the league thanks to Liverpool beating Arsenal on the final day. Finished 4th and 2nd previous years. Also won the Champions League, after beating Manchester United with a ridiculous second-leg comeback in the semi-finals. My team is not nearly as good as the top teams, also have the 19th largest wage budget in the league. So fair to say it is an overachieving tactic.
View attachment 1064730
View attachment 1064733

Thanks! I tried this before i received your ss's and used the dm and the mc both centrally (dmc lined up directly behind the mc) as opposed to your staggered line up (dmcl and mcr) - played 4 games with it and won all four without conceding against opponents Monaco (H), Man Utd (H) and Tottenham (a). I wonder if it makes a difference?

Thanks! I tried this before i received your ss's and used the dm and the mc both centrally (dmc lined up directly behind the mc) as opposed to your staggered line up (dmcl and mcr) - played 4 games with it and won all four without conceding against opponents Monaco (H), Man Utd (H) and Tottenham (a). I wonder if it makes a difference?

Now it might look like the almighty El Diablo (6)

Back to original 4-4-2 Deep Sicilian Defense V5 from the OP with crazy results on my "unemployed challenge" save.
Crotone then Hellas Verona, Celta Vigo, Juventus and actually breaking records with Dortmund (+30 without losing).
Gonna post SS when season is finished :wub:

Using 4-4-2 Deep Sicilian Defense V5 with West Brom first season & i can say i`m impressed, never expected this run :

View attachment 136763

Nice job with this one.
I`m gonna start a new save with a bigger team, curious how it`s gonna be.

Hi Mr L, first I want congratulate you for made the best fm16 tactic (sicilian V5), I don't know why I want create mine when a guy like you make the game so easier :p
I'm on top with Toulouse FC in french L1, and I just noticed for me match tactic training works better than def pos, I don't know why but my team plays better and it's more defensively solid like that :)

Thanks for all of your legendary work since fm 13 (and before? I know you only from fm 13)

Sorry for my bad english, and have a good game :)

Last edited:
can someone tell me what type of players i need in the positions? like wingers on the sides dlp in dm?

Hi i'm new! please bear with me :p

Can anyone explain to me how to set the training percentage (%)? is there any selection to that? or just assumption?

Thank you in advance :)

can someone tell me what type of players i need in the positions? like wingers on the sides dlp in dm?

First and foremost, you are 80% there. By choosing this tactic (which for me is easily the best and most consistent in the Fm16 series) you will not fail. You will overachieve. You will be sturdy in defence and potent in attack.

However, your goals will be one dimensional. Assists will mostly come from crosses and your wide men. A few will be from your DMC's but only if they have great passing range and accuracy.

Therefore, make sure your wing backs are fast and can cross well. If they excel in this, they will be your players of the season, almost every season.

Your wingers need to work with them and should also have great finishing and heading ability as they often latch on to crosses from the other flank. Jordan Ibe (AMR) has won World Player of the Year three times in a row as MR. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Ibe. That's how good this tactic makes players.

Your DMC's need to be all action, but strong in the tackle. For a more attacking model I use one DMC and one MC to suit the players that fit the bill of an MC better.

Your strikers will score bucket loads if you get the service to them that suits their strengths. Silva (Portugal wonderkid) scored 40 league goals in 35 starts in the EPL.

Your DC's need to be quick, if they aren't that fleet of foot then simply change the defensive line from HIGH to SLIGHTLY HIGHER

Good luck, but you don't need it. I have used lots of tactics with really good success, but they often fizzle out. This one lasts forever!

First and foremost, you are 80% there. By choosing this tactic (which for me is easily the best and most consistent in the Fm16 series) you will not fail. You will overachieve. You will be sturdy in defence and potent in attack.

Good luck, but you don't need it. I have used lots of tactics with really good success, but they often fizzle out. This one lasts forever!

Hahaha, we need to frame this :wub:

The 4-4-2 is splendid tactics, good work sir!
One question, I do love d poacher role, can I change one of the strikers from d f9 to a poacher?
Second question, also can I move one of the the DM to a CM roaming play maker?

The 4-4-2 is splendid tactics, good work sir!
One question, I do love d poacher role, can I change one of the strikers from d f9 to a poacher?
Second question, also can I move one of the the DM to a CM roaming play maker?

For matches where i am clear favourites, i move one dmc forward to the cm role that suits him best.

Just letting you guys know that me and the test team are preparing for FM17 with a new website. The extent of what we want to do in FM17 is too big for a single forum thread. I am not allowed to write the address here, but I am sure you will figure it out when the time comes :)

Best of luck to you all, and see you in FM17 :)