Mr Langvatn

Reaction score
Click here to download my 4-4-2 Sicilian Defense v5 for FM17

View attachment 124980

My flagship tactic so far:

4-4-2 Deep Sicilian Defense v5 <-- Click the link

(OI's also on this page)

Testing thread:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...actic-test-football-manager-base-history.html

16.3 Tactics

Mr L 4-3-3 Apocalypse Attack

View attachment 158767

Mr L 4-2-1-3 Sicilian attack

View attachment 162009

Mr L 4-4-2 (Deep) Sicilian Defense

View attachment 161998

Set pieces: From the community (a mix of many different set piece instructions in the google spreadsheet)
Also, the 4-3-3 has some inspiration from Knap's 4-4-2 (also a great tactic which I can recommend)

Some general information about the tactics + pointers for the game

- DO NOT let assistant manager control opposition instructions
- Use "Defensive Positioning" match preparation in all of them (teamwork is good in a fresh save though)
- Team training: Tactics or fitness I guess
- Arrange a lot of friendly matches against big opponents, so that your team learns the tactics before the league starts
- Equip the tactic into all the three "slots" to learn it faster
- Be careful about buying too many new players at once, as it may vitally disrupt your team cohesion
- If you have problems with team cohesion, replace "defensive positioning" match preparation with "teamwork"

- There will be no player filters, and here I will explain why:

Filters often filter away many great players. They stop you from using your best players, and they filter away potential bargains with a lot of potential. Lets say you have Messi and Rooney in your team. You have a complete forward role in your tactic, so the filter would tell you to pick Rooney over Messi... In addition, my tactics are extremely versatile when it comes to changing the roles, so if you have a great player who doesn't fit any of the roles in the tactic you have chosen, then you can just change the role to something that fits him. In most cases, this will work out very well.

Also, a big thanks to my FM16 sponsor! :)

Best wishes,
Mr L

Last edited:
Hi Mr. L, will give it a shot but I think with the current ME nothing seems able to stop all the stupid woodwork shots, yellow and red cards and conceding goals in stoppage time.

13 match only 2 conceded welldone Mr.L

btw ME are fine mate

Can we see screenshot of tactic at least?! Interested to see roles etc.

Can I see a Screenshot of the team instructions, at work ATM and would love to see how you've set out your defense to only concede 2 goals!

Can I see a Screenshot of the team instructions, at work ATM and would love to see how you've set out your defense to only concede 2 goals!

Here. But keep in mind that this is only 13 matches, so test results aren't exactly accurate :) I just wanted to make one tactic in the beta. No point testing extensively in beta, as full game comes tomorrow. Will spend more time then :)

Nonetheless, a tactic that has the ABILITY to go 13 matches with only 2 conceded has a lot of potential, no matter test accuracy.

On another note, I don't believe it's due to the team instructions that the defense works so well. It's more because of the player instructions.

Last edited:
looks solid mate, current ME isnt too far off I think so this should only get better on full release

Here. But keep in mind that this is only 13 matches, so test results aren't exactly accurate :) I just wanted to make one tactic in the beta. No point testing extensively in beta, as full game comes tomorrow. Will spend more time then :)

Nonetheless, a tactic that has the ABILITY to go 13 matches with only 2 conceded has a lot of potential, no matter test accuracy.

On another note, I don't believe it's due to the team instructions that the defense works so well. It's more because of the player instructions.

Cheers , sorry to be a pain but could i get a look at the player instruction of the DM, CB's, FB's and CM;s then please :) If your busy dont worry mate.

Cheers , sorry to be a pain but could i get a look at the player instruction of the DM, CB's, FB's and CM;s then please :) If your busy dont worry mate.

The full game is released tomorrow, probably with some ME changes, so there is no point at this moment I think :) I will rebalance it to fit the changes, spend more time on it (I got the game yesterday), and extensively test it. Then I will give more (accurate) information. Now I'll just wait for tomorrow and see what happens to the ME :)

Hi Mr L:)

I would love to test your tactic my but my current Lyon squad just don't got players for it, the wingers is the issue. How much damage do you think it would do to move the wingers up and use if or wing . and what player instructions would be needed?

Sorry this is a bit rude but i mid season and can't buy players until next season:) Next june i will buy players for your setup:)

all the best

Hi Mr L:)

I would love to test your tactic my but my current Lyon squad just don't got players for it, the wingers is the issue. How much damage do you think it would do to move the wingers up and use if or wing . and what player instructions would be needed?

Sorry this is a bit rude but i mid season and can't buy players until next season:) Next june i will buy players for your setup:)

all the best

Dunno, as I've only done very limited testing (got the game yesterday) :)

Added new tactic for the beta, a remake of the "Spin the Wheel" tactic from FM13. Have fun :)

What kind of players have you been using as wingers? Wingbacks, traditional wingers or IFs?

From playing a few matches im guessing the CMs is supposed to be dual B2Bs?

Last edited:
What kind of players have you been using as wingers? Wingbacks, traditional wingers or IFs?

From playing a few matches im guessing the CMs is supposed to be dual B2Bs?

In the 4-1-4-1, I believe that re-positioned midfielders may be the best option. In the 4-5-1, traditional winger on the right and IF on the left (as in the roles). You can also just have a look at the role attributes. They give you a nice indication of which stats are needed to fill the position. Same goes for the CMs: CM - all duties schedule.

In the 4-1-4-1, I believe that re-positioned midfielders may be the best option. In the 4-5-1, traditional winger on the right and IF on the left (as in the roles). You can also just have a look at the role attributes. They give you a nice indication of which stats are needed to fill the position. Same goes for the CMs: CM - all duties schedule.

Repositioned midfielders? I'm not quite sure what you mean? CMs trained wide?

Repositioned midfielders? I'm not quite sure what you mean? CMs trained wide?

Yeah. But I do believe the 4-5-1 might be the strongest of the two tactics in this patch, and it's a more desirable formation too :)