My FM 10 Experiment

CanadaEXPTonyMcManusS01.jpg

He got a transfer to Fenerbache before he even played a game in the Canadian leagues. He did fairly well as well it seems, basing that on his avg.

CanadaEXPStevanPopovicS01.jpg

He had an absolutely excellent season. He however would not play for Canada. He decided that he would wait for Serbia to call him up. He was by far the most talented of them all and is joining up with Serbia for his first cap in the next few days.

CanadaEXPNickChadickS01.jpg

He had a fairly decent season with Calgary. Nothing too special but he is one of Canada's best players currently. He was named their captain. He doesn't have a second nationality, so that means he will most likely get capped for Canada soon.

CanadaEXPMatesuzSapelaS01.jpg

Unfortunately he decided that Canada was not good enough for him and took to playing for Poland instead. He still played very very well for his team though which is good.

CanadaEXPDanielDeThomasisS01.jpg

He got a transfer right away to Toronto AC and helped the team to win the championship. He also earned his first cap for Canada which is great to see.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Canadian Fifth League

CanadaEXPLeague50910.jpg

Canadian Fourth League

CanadaEXPLeague40910.jpg

Canadian Third League

CanadaEXPLeague3.jpg

Canadian Second League

CanadaEXPLeague20910.jpg

Canadian First League

CanadaEXPLeague10910.jpg

Toronto AC beat Toronto Lynx to win the Canadian Open Cup 3 - 1

Toronto AC beat Toronto Lynx to win the Canadian Cup (basically the FA cup). It was a 1 - 1 game and went into penalties with Toronto AC coming out on top.

In the Canadian Reserves Cup Toronto International Club beat Winnipeg Dynamo Kyiv 2 - 1.

Canadian Youth Cup went to the Vancouver Thunderbirds beating Dynamo FC (vancouver) on penalties.

Canadian Lower League Cup went to Montreal Rois who won it in a boring 1 - 0 game against Moncton FC.

In the European Test Cup the best Canadian showing came from Toronto AC and Kelowna Rockets. Both losing in the 3rd round. Toronto AC went out in a close 2 - 1 game against Birmingham and Kelowna went out to Sampdoria in a 3 - 1 game and were rather lucky to keep it so close.

The winner of the European Test Cup was Inter who won 3 - 1 over Osasuna in extra time. Osasuna kept it close for a really long time finally conceding at 113. All three goals scored by Mario Balotelli who had an incredible game.

In the World League Cup the Canadian teams did not have an easy time, the majority of teams losing in the first round and only able to beat each other in order to move on. Both Scarborough GS United and St. Anthony succumbed to extremely one sided results. Both lost to Spanish sides.

Juventus was the eventual winner beating Racing Club SAD 2 - 0 in the final.

Now on to the World Cup which Canada was inevitably not going to make due to their poor showing IRL in the qualifying stage.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Probably the absolute most shocking World Cup ever.

Italy cant make it past the group stage because of Sweeden and Paraguay. Argentina cant get out of their group either because of Mexico and Greece. In the second round the Germans get upset by the Turks in penalties. The English succumb to old rivals France in a 2 - 1 loss. My ancestors of Holland are unable to upset Brazil and lose on penalties. Then off to the quarter finals where France beats Spain on penalties, this being the only notable result as the others were pretty much givens.

This all sets up a semi final where Brazil faces France and Croatia faces Turkey. Both Brazil and Croatia coast to victory with no real threat coming from France or Turkey. But the final was an absolute shocker Croatia were able to upset Brazil to win the world cup.

I liked your idea so much I decided to do something similar myself. I made the curent A-league (Australian) from 10 teams to 20 teams, made a second league with another 20 teams, added better prize money....not crazy amounts and made all the youth training fac. 20's....I want to see what happens

I liked your idea so much I decided to do something similar myself. I made the curent A-league (Australian) from 10 teams to 20 teams, made a second league with another 20 teams, added better prize money....not crazy amounts and made all the youth training fac. 20's....I want to see what happens

haha mate i was gunna do exactly the same thing when i get the game, let us know how it goes.

Great idea - looks like it worked out well!

however in your League 4 Abbotsford Miners finished 19th although they havent got an 'R' next to their name, did they get relegated???

I feel for the River Valley Reds fans!!!

Any tips you have for someone looking to this this for the first time (never used the editor) would be most welcome.

Many thanks and keep up the good work - more updates please!!!

incredibly my save already crashed on me and i cant reboot it. so I have to start all over again.

to mikey, that league has a relegation playoff battle instead of just a straight relegation so they stayed up. I just wanted to experiment with it. This is not the final product of this experiment as I will run it on all 3 patches.So I will be fixing things up through each patch and this looks slightly unfair so I might change that.

As well I have noticed that all of Canada's good players leave for different countries. So I might have to change the nation reputation if they are not dynamic like club reputations.

I want people to bare in mind this is the first real run through and technically only a test. I will be adding on to this as more patches come out. I am rather busy at the moment so I decided on using 5 leagues. No huge diversity in team names and such. This is pretty much a bare minimum of it but I figured might as well give you all a taste of what will be coming.

2009/2010 Season

I used the FMRTE editor to find the best players Canada has to offer and I was surprised at the quality of players.

Prospects Review

The top player in Canada was a man by the name of Daniel Johnson who had a CA of 192 and PA of 197. Without even playing a game for his Canadian team. Fenerbache noticed him right away. He played 33 games, scored 6 goals, got 12 assists and 1 MOM. He had an avg rating of 7.34 for Fenerbache. He helped Canada get to the World Cup for the first time in a long time and has thus far won 7 caps and scored 6 goals. In the summer he secured a transfer to Atletico Madrid for 10 million pounds. Time will tell how good he will be for both club and country. Unfortunately he started off old and wont have very much time to place himself among the worlds best.

The next best player is James Garcia with a CA of 184 and PA of 193. Garcia, like Johnson, didn't play a single game for his Canadian club before he was scooped up. He was off to Genoa and played 26 games getting 4 assists and 3 MOM's. He had an avg rating of 7.63. Similar to Johnson, the bigger clubs took notice and Olympique Lyonnais paid 10.25 million pounds to get their man. He has made 7 caps and scored 1 goal.

Then there was Graham Molina who went to Fenerbache with Johnson before playing a single game with his Canadian club. He has a CA of 173 and a PA of 187. He made 33 appearances, scored 6 goals, had 7 assists and 4 MOM performances with an avg rating of 7.38. Just like Johnson and Garcia the bigger clubs noticed his talent and he signed for Sampdoria in a 7.75 million pound move. He has surprisingly not had a single cap. I am unsure whether he was injured throughout Canada's World Cup run or not however this is a very curious circumstance to me.

The next best player, and only one to remain in Canada was Tom Barr with a CA of 172 and a PA of 187. He stayed with his club Okatas Challenge in the Canadian Soccer League 3 and played 27 games scoring 1 goal and having 5 assists, 6 MOM's and an avg rating of 7.23. He did not want to remain with his club however and went to CSL champions Toronto AC on a free as his contract was up. He is also uncapped.

Now comes the youngest of them all Tim van de Ven. He has a CA of 77 and a PA of 177. He was crucial to Surrey United's promotion bid from CSL 3 to CSL 2. He played 27 matches and got 10 assists with 1 MOM performance. Despite laying on so many assists he still played rather poorly at a 6.30 avg rating. He does not seem to be coping with life in a higher league very well either as after 12 games he has an avg rating of 6.04. I hope he can get his career on track and start playing well for his team, otherwise he might waste his potential.

As of right now there are no other real prospects to report on as there is no one with potential over 170 that is young enough to fulfill it besides van de Ven.

League Review

In the CSL Toronto AC came out clear winners with no real opposition at any point. They were able to manhandle their opposition on most occasions resulting in scoring 100 goals that season. The most interesting part of the season was the relegation battle between Portugal FC and Trois-Rivieres which culminated in a last day battle for survival. With neither team winning their last game it ended up being Trois Rivieres coming out on top by 1 point.

CSL Table

In CSL 2 we can already see something that I have overlooked. I forgot to put in the sorting rules for this league and so as a result Peniche SC won it instead of St. Anthony simply because of alphabetical order. It was an extremely close battle throughout the year for the title and playoff spots alike. Having created a massive promotion playoff it shows as well something that I MIGHT change.

CSL 2 Table

The next league as well was extremely close with Toronto Lynx (in this case PDL) winning the table in a close battle with Surrey United. The playoff's were hotly contested right up to 11th position. It shows just how close these leagues are at their current state.

CSL 3 Table

By Far this was the most equal league. Every single team was quite close baring the top 5 positions really. I wanted a little experiment in this one as well with a playoff relegation and it still ended up that the bottom 3 were relegated which is good.

CSL 4 Table

The bottom tier saw quite the battle for playoff spots. Everyone was vying for position for a long time until the ones that eventually got in started pulling away around April. I was really hoping for Chatham-Kent to make it however they failed in the playoffs. I am routing for them to make it to CSL 4 next year.

CSL 5 Table

Cup Competitions

In the Canadian Open Cup, similar to the Carling Cup of England, Peniche SC beat fellow CSL side SC Montreal 3 - 1 at BMO field.

In the Canadian Cup (the equivalent of the FA) we saw two non-CSL sides face off in a close match. Sapperton Rovers beating Hamilton Argentina 4 - 2 on penalties.

In the European Test Cup the last Canadian clubs were knocked out by EPL sides Arsenal and Man Utd in the 3rd round. The eventual winners Juventus beat Arsenal 2 - 0 to win the ETC.

In the World League Cup we saw all Canadian Clubs gone by the 3rd round. They have not had an easy time against the worlds largest clubs, as is to be suspected as it is their first year of existence. The eventual winners were Udinese in a 2 - 0 win over Palmeiras.

World Cup Review

The World Cup saw Canada able to make it, albeit surprisingly due to poor performance IRL qualifying. They were stuck in an extremely tough group with France, Argentina and North Korea. It was obvious they were not going to win however they still wanted a respectable performance. They lost their first game to Argentina 3 - 0 in a relatively average performance.

However, a great thing for Canadian football they were able to pick up their first ever goals and win at this World Cup. They beat North Korea 2 - 0 in a great battle.

They then went on to face France, hoping against hope for a fortunate result in which they needed a win. They however lost in a valiant effort 3 - 1 having remained 1 - 1 until the 59'th minute.

Spain were the eventual winners defeating England 2 - 0 in extra time.

This is great stuff, really looking forward to seeing canada's results in the next world cup and the player development.

2010/2011 Season

Player Review

Daniel Johnson didn't have the best of years, in fact he dropped 2 CA. He did not even get to play the full Gold Cup due to an injury which sidelined him for the last 2 games which Canada won despite his absence. He will hopefully pick up next year.

James Garcia had a fairly decent season. Nothing too special. He played the entire Gold Cup and ended up assisting on one of the goals for Canada in the final so all in all he had a fairly decent year.

Graham Molina had another excellent season this time with Sampdoria. Playing 33 games and having a good average. Surprisingly though he has still not been capped by Canada or by Italy (his second nationality). It looks as if this player might never represent a country.

Now for the shame that is Tom Barr. He decided that Canada was not good enough for him and decided to take a call up from England. Not that I blame him for the choice seeing as England is a much better footballing nation but it is rather annoying in terms of this experiment. He secured a 9 million pound deal to Real Madrid in January.

Traitor number 2 is Tim van de Ven. He had an absolutely dreadful season this time around having only avg'ed a 5.98. So you know what Tim? It's ok, I dont think we need or want you if your not going to bother showing up for games.

The newest prospect, and albeit better than Timmy is Riccardo Feretti with a CA of 97 and a PA of 179. He ended up spending a lot of time in the reserves and U18's squad but eventually got a call up to the senior squad, due to injury, and was later sent back down. In total he played 49 games this season in all competitions scoring 2 goals, getting 13 assists, and having 2 MOM performances with an overall avg of 6.66.

Another prospect is Maurice Altunel with a CA of 95 and a PA of 170. He looks like he could be a good one having played 33 games in all competitions and getting 2 goals, 9 assists, 4 MOM performances and an overall avg of 6.49. He played 13 games for the senior squad and spent the rest of his time bouncing back and forth between the reserves and the U18's.

League Review

Another championship for Toronto AC. They look like they are going to be the most difficult of all the CSL sides. Two championships in a row and counting it seems. They dominated the league this time even more than they did before. It could well become a scary place to be if this streak continues as they will just pile on more money and with it better players.

CSL Table

The second league was an extremely well contested league this time around. A lot of teams were vying for a playoff position and others were fighting for dear life escaping by just a few points. It will be interesting to see if the promoted clubs can deal with the likes of Toronto AC and Peniche SC in the next level.

CSL 2 Table

Calgary FC recovered brilliantly from last year's upset of being relegated not allowing anyone to get in their way of promotion. They made sure that their visit to league 3 was a short but memorable one. The rest of the league was fairly close with nothing too special to report about besides a tight relegation battle.

CSL 3 Table

Another Alberta team is off to the 3rd league as Edmonton Titans take the title to gain automatic promotion. The playoffs saw quite a few upsets this year with neither of the two promoted teams being in the top 3 in the league.

CSL 4 Table

Again Chatham-Kent disappoints me! They place 2nd for the second time in a row yet still cannot win in the playoffs. I hope this does not become a regular theme. I want them to get up in the leagues quickly. They need to shake off this playoff bogey and quick if they aren't able to win the championship.

CSL 5 Table

Cup Review

In the Open Cup we saw CSL Champions trounce their opposition, Toronto Lynx in the final 3 - 0. It wasn't even as close as the score line made out. Toronto AC could have easily been up 5 or 6 goals but they lacked the finishing they would have liked to see.

In the Canada Cup once again we saw 2 non CSL sides make it to the final. This time however it seemed as though it were due to the bad luck of Ottawa that they lost 2 - 1 to Fernwood United FC.

Last season I forgot to add the Lower League Cup I believe. So I will tell you who won last years and this years. Winnipeg City won it the first year against Montreal Rois, in a not so close game ending 3 - 0 for Winnipeg. This season it was Kingston Marvels beating Hamilton Athletic 2 - 1 in extra time.

As for the European Test Cup once again Canadian sides did not fair well at all as they were all gone after the 3rd round. The eventual winners were Valencia in a 3 - 2 win over Inter.

It was much the same in the World League Cup where not one single Canadian team was able to make it past the 3rd round and once again were only able to make it so far because they played against one another. The eventual winners were Deportivo in a 1 - 0 win over Inter. Poor Inter cant buy a cup.

NA Gold Cup and Copa America

SUCCESS! Canada has done it! They won the gold cup, and in convincing fashion. They beat the USA 2 - 0 in the final and on their way there were able to upset Mexico in a 2 - 1 win. But had it not been for the Canadian keepers heroics in the semi-final against Honduras they never would have made it. The Canadian keeper saved a penalty in extra time in order to bring the game to penalties where he once again proved his worth and made 1 save, the only one he really had to in order to get them to the final.

Disappointment with a glimmer of hope. Canada was able to make it to the semi-final losing to eventual winners Brazil. In the third-place playoff they succumbed to a 4 - 2 loss to Paraguay in extra time where their tired legs just couldn't handle the pressure that Paraguay was putting them under all game long.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 12:32 PM ----------

Ok I went ahead and went 7 years ahead and I am going to pretty much post everything right now just to make it easier.

Player Reviews

I am not going to offer much info on these guys other than their profiles and their PA's as it has been way too many years to comment on each individually. I will go through in alphabetical order. As well I missed a couple of seasons on a few of the players. I am sorry, but there are a lot of different screen shots I need to get each year. It has been interesting to see a lot of the players that left Canada for greener pastures have ended up coming back in one form or another.

Maurice Altunel PA 170

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Tom Barr

Season 1
Season 2
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Carl Blicharski PA 173

Season 6
Season 7

Alen Cameira PA 168

Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Riccardo Ferretti PA 179

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Martin Fisher PA 162

Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

James Garcia

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Carl Hamilton PA 191

FIRST WONDERKID!!!

Season 7

Nicholas Hamilton (no relation) PA 166

Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

David Houghton PA 175

Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Daniel Johnson

Season 1
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Tom Knox PA 187

Season 6
Season 7

Bob Mitchell PA 163

Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

Graham Molina

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 6 - He moved to Aston Villa the year before this one.
Season 7

Roberto Moore PA 162

Season 6

Tim van de Ven

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7

League Review 2011/12 - 2017/18

CSL Has been mainly dominated by Toronto AC with a few blips here and there. The last season being their worst ever showing. Despite winning so often they still are very poor in the Cup's it is interesting to see a team dominate so much in the league yet come up short in Cup's.

CSL 11/12
CSL 12/13
CSL 13/14
CSL 14/15
CSL 15/16
CSL 16/17
CSL 17/18

CSL 2 has seen a number of teams yo-yo from the divisions with very few teams having any real consistency within it. I think for some teams they are having trouble adjusting and re-adjusting to the level of play.

CSL 2 11/12
CSL 2 12/13
CSL 2 13/14
CSL 2 14/15
CSL 2 15/16
CSL 2 16/17
CSL 2 17/18

CSL 3 Has seen some rather strange results, one year a team can be almost near the top and lose in the playoffs then end up close to relegation then back up again. It has been a strange league to watch with some very strange tables.

CSL 3 11/12
CSL 3 12/13
CSL 3 13/14
CSL 3 14/15
CSL 3 15/16
CSL 3 16/17
CSL 3 17/18

CSL 4 has been very similar to CSL 3 with lots of teams acting strangely. Chatham-Kent Lancers made it into CSL 4 though! I am very happy about that but have continued their poor performance in playoffs and have been unable to get up to CSL 3.

CSL 4 11/12
CSL 4 12/13
CSL 4 13/14
CSL 4 14/15
CSL 4 15/16
CSL 4 16/17
CSL 4 17/18

CSL 5 has seen rather continuous results surprisingly the same teams have been near the bottom of the table for a while now and don't show any signs of moving up. It looks like without good management they could easily suffer a fate worse than death, stagnation.

CSL 5 11/12
CSL 5 12/13
CSL 5 13/14
CSL 5 14/15
CSL 5 15/16
CSL 5 16/17
CSL 5 17/18

Cup Reviews

The Open Cup has been dominated by Red Deer Renegades of late. Although last year they did not have the best showing in the world all thanks to a former top prospect turned manager. Tom Barr has lead Peniche SC to their 2nd Open Cup victory ever. It will be interesting to see how his managerial career pans out.

Open Cup 11/12
Open Cup 12/13
Open Cup 13/14
Open Cup 14/15
Open Cup 15/16
Open Cup 16/17
Open Cup 17/18

The Canada Cup has proven to be the most elusive of all cups. It has only been won more than once by a single team. Fernwood United FC and that was after several years without it. This cup has proved to be rather interesting seeing some very surprising results and some lopsided ones as well.

Canada Cup 2012
Canada Cup 2013
Canada Cup 2014
Canada Cup 2015
Canada Cup 2016
Canada Cup 2017
Canada Cup 2018

Canadian Lower League Cup has seen only 4 different winners in the span of 7 years. Vancouver Thunderbirds seem to have a knack for this competition. They are always able to grind out the result somehow.

I missed 1 years competition between Toronto Olympians and Laval Mohawks, Toronto Olympians won 2 - 0.

CLLC 12/13
CLLC 13/14
CLLC 14/15
CLLC 15/16
CLLC 16/17
CLLC 17/18

In the European Test Cup there was 2 years where Canadian teams have made it to the Quarter Final's. Which they lost but only by a goal. Each year it seems that the Canadian teams are getting progressively better with their results against greater competition. The only black mark on the Canadian clubs is that they seem to focus more on Domestic leagues and cups rather than these international ones.

In the World League Cup it appears that Canada is having a tough time having never made it beyond the fifth round. In the last one it appeared as though SC Vancouver was going to make it to the Quarter Final's only to lose in penalties. Which is very surprising seeing as they were relegated from CSL 2 that very same year.

International Review

Ever since the Canadian players have been aging Canada has had a very rough time. They have went through 4 different managers and have been unable to get by the Quarter Finals ever since they won the Gold Cup.

However, they have been able to make it to the World Cup on a consistent basis but has never been able to make it out of the group stage. They almost did in this 2018 world Cup since a few players have started to show some of their potential but they needed a crucial win against Mali and drew 0 - 0. They did not concede or score a goal this entire World Cup drawing against Spain and Sweden Also. So overall rather successful in all consideration.

The past 2 World Cup Winners have been Turkey and Italy. Italy being in the final both times. Both games went to extra time, Italy losing to Turkey in the 2014 and beating France 3 - 2 in 2018.

This took me over 2 hours!

Last edited: