My thoughts & views on Fm13 Match Engine and tactics

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 110
  • Views Views 43K

Raikan007

Reaction score
after playing a somewhat stop start start to Fm13 over the past few days I have picked up on a couple of things that may be useful for others to implement into creating tactics and or formations for the current Fm13 match engine (well with its many flaws, here is hoping the full release is a much better, more polished game and most of the glaring faults are erased)

Match engine thoughts & views:

1) playing a default formation like a simple 442 (with mr&ml) along with a 433 (with amc or dm) seem to work the best (I have not tried too many other ones but the more simple it is the better)

2) having the player roles left as default (ball winning mid or attacking mid etc) seem to work a lot better with regards to a better team performance than setting player instructions manually as it seems to confuse the player)

3) setting no opposition instructions works better as well, leave the the players to do their thing

4) through balls are imperative in this years edition

5) run with ball often works really well with pacey players who have good dribbling and flair stats so use that to your advantage

6) goalkeepers are a mess at the moment but SI have made fixes for this so lets wait and see

7) playing fluid or balanced and control also seems to work the best with short passing and a quick tempo

8) take into consideration the weather on the day of the match, do not try and play a long ball approach if the wind his howling, rather keep it short and simple

9) player switching, especially between the two front men (if playing with two strikers) works really nicely

10) long shots also seem to be quite effective this year, (maybe its down to the awful goalkeeping AI, time will tell) take advantage of this if you have players like Podolski/Rooney/Van Persie/Ronaldo/Guarin/Inler/Cardozo etc)

11) setting a playmaker as AMC with good decisions/passing/off the ball/technique and creativity and using a target man (mixed if good in the air and strong or to feet if good at finishing and long shots) seems to work nicely as well

12) setting your past experience to International manager makes the game and team talks a lot easier in the first season, especially when managing big clubs (that is normally the case, but team talks are much, much easier than last years Fm)

13) shoot with power PPM seems to work out well for players, especially as mentioned above with good long shot attributes

more to follow...

feel free to share your thoughts and give feedback, will update this with all your comments and thoughts :)

cheers,
Neil

Meh. Was expecting another epic rant like last time. Let down :P

But the non-giving of inmatch istructions (shouts) and not giving additional instructions pre-match definately works for me

But the non-giving of inmatch istructions (shouts) and not giving additional instructions pre-match definately works for me

not sure what you mean exactly :)

shouts work yes
opp instrucions dont work

not sure what you mean exactly :)

shouts work yes
opp instrucions dont work

The usual "get stuck in" or "work ball into box" haven't been effective at all. Now it's "play through defence" or "run at defence" where I've been most effective when giving them during a match. But the ones that do work I've noticed start being implemented immediately which is handy when losing

Last edited:
Interesting and I mostly agree. The one difference I've seen is related to opposing player instructions - if I set general team pressing to whole pitch and individual player pressing likewise they don't seem to press; setting the opponent to be closed down makes a huge difference. At least until I set every opposing player like that and my team just ran round like headless chickens :)

On the weather, I'm convinced one of my players had trouble with a high ball when facing into the sun. Maybe that's just the crappy engine though...

the closing down settings are being worked on to my knowledge fm20.. it is a problem at the moment..

not sure about the sun lol, that would be interesting...

lol this game makes me mad... winning 2:0 against PSV with Ajax, completely controlling the game, switched to defensive for the last 10 minutes and conceded 2 goals.. I give up lol

Raikan007 is mad.. I love it.

I think miles is ******** his pants right now.... The game has lost all its AI and gained a ****** skin. THAT IS FM13....

has anyone tried to implement a few of these things and are they working?

lol aussie, I am not mad :) just frustrated with the game at present hahaha

The AI isn't bad at all-if you want something with poor intelligence how about Arsenals defence against Reading lol

has anyone tried to implement a few of these things and are they working?

lol aussie, I am not mad :) just frustrated with the game at present hahaha

Hahaha.... well i'm frustrated to... fm12 was a wicked game you could have open playing whenever you were on your computer, now it crashes when i try to change tactics and i've got other things open..... I LOVE THE FM EXCELL SPREADSHEET.......

The AI isn't bad at all-if you want something with poor intelligence how about Arsenals defence against Reading lol

I've heard arsene wenger is a fan........... or was that of fm12...

Will people get mad at me if I say that I have no trouble defending à lead, Stretching à defence or punish both agressive and passive oppoents? ;)

Raikan007 is mad.. I love it.

I think miles is ******** his pants right now.... The game has lost all its AI and gained a ****** skin. THAT IS FM13....

The ai as actually much stronger, as opposed to weaker

to quote wwfan on a few things:

Yes, they should. If football was just about the best 11 players, then managers would not be paid many millions to manage them.

Trying 10 different tactics means absolutely nothing. Suggests to me that, rather than sitting down and thinking about how you are trying to play, you are frantically searching for a formation that gives you an advantage. You haven't thought about tactical gelling, how your player types interrelate, how the team should play given your player types, how to motivate your players, how to defend, how to score etc, etc.

Have, for example, you thought about which players you want moving between the lines? Or which players you want dropping deeper and dictating play? Do you know how to achieve either? To put it bluntly, if you aren't thinking like this and just randomly trying things out, I'd expect the AI to rip you to shreds. That is the sign of a robust, not bad, ME.

ME bugs and AI logic are completely different things. If the logic of the AI tactics is better than the logic of yours, then it will beat you more often than not. AI tactics will always have some players moving between the lines.

As far as I can tell, the GK distribution is a bug and has been fixed. However, a lower tackle count than FM12 is a move in the right direction, as tackles were too high across the board in FM12. I've yet to see a goal from a corner in my game, but they do happen in real life, so should be possible in FM. It would be a problem if it was a regular occurrence, not if it were a very occasional event.

Your tactical issues illuminate the problems of coding the ME. There is a footballing logic that it and AI tactics access, which includes having a certain number of players moving between the lines (pushing up or dropping deep). If a user's tactic is very static and keeps players glued to their line, then they arguably should be struggling to get results, just as a real life team playing totally static football would. Historically, users employing static tactics have been able to "beat" the ME rather than the AI by keeping their defence back and channeling their passes through to a single, usually quick, player. The lack of collision detection in the ME resulted in this player being guaranteed a certain number of good chances every match. The only thing that mattered was how well he played.

In reality, any team would be able to mark that player out of the game. The one dimensionality of the tactic then gets exposed, as it can't create another type of chance. A user with this type of tactic should be seeing bad football and getting frustrated. How do you know that is you? Generally, if you always kept both FBs on Defend duties, had at least one DLP, possibly two, and forwards only on Attack duties, then there is the strong possibility you were relying on the 'no collision' exploit to overpower the ME. If you had multiple DLPs and an FC in the FCC position, it was almost certainly you.

Ultimately, if this type of tactic is struggling, then it is evidence that the ME has improved structurally. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have some bugs, such as GK distribution, shooting too often from extreme angles, pressing not being aggressive enough etc. However, these are all secondary to the overall structure working far, far better. Structural improvement was the key focus of the two year ME redevelop, which required the introduction of player collision and ball physics. If you can't see quite how much this has improved the overall play of the ME, then you are missing the wood for the trees. Everything outside of this structural improvement is polishing. The ME might need burnishing in certain areas, but the underlying framework has improved significantly.

Will people get mad at me if I say that I have no trouble defending à lead, Stretching à defence or punish both agressive and passive oppoents? ;)

that was just one game :) normally don't have a problem either :) just stating how unpredictable it is :)

but no nobody will get mad at you! :)

Back