My thoughts & views on Fm13 Match Engine and tactics

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 110
  • Views Views 43K
I fully agree with wwfan ( and Mike) here. The main problem is that those cosmetic animation issues, the closing down issue, the passive goalkeeper makes it rather hard to see the" Wood for the trees"

Once those issues are ironed out, it will be miles ahead Of FM12 ( that is not to say that everyone Will like it better as it Will be à harder game)

I fully agree with wwfan ( and Mike) here. The main problem is that those cosmetic animation issues, the closing down issue, the passive goalkeeper makes it rather hard to see the" Wood for the trees"

Once those issues are ironed out, it will be miles ahead Of FM12 ( that is not to say that everyone Will like it better as it Will be à harder game)

It will be harder-a challenge can't wait to embrace. Found FM 12 too easy in some parts. But saying that, the difficulty factor will be offset with the FMC. Pretty much why I'm a suporter of the idea

yeah fully agreed TBH :)

it is (hopefully) going to be awesome this year, Fm12 was my favourite out of all the Fm's though..

just going to wait for everything to be sorted out, hopefully sooner than later

it should be sorted properly with all the patches id say a couple of months before fm 14 lol

The ai as actually much stronger, as opposed to weaker

to quote wwfan on a few things:

While I can accept the points made by this user, at the end of the day, it's still just a computer game. I really can't be bothered taking wind conditions into effect etc.

I think I'll be sticking to FM Classic from now on.

While I can accept the points made by this user, at the end of the day, it's still just a computer game. I really can't be bothered taking wind conditions into effect etc.

I think I'll be sticking to FM Classic from now on.

Exactly why FMC was created. Everybody wins.

Your tactical issues illuminate the problems of coding the ME. There is a footballing logic that it and AI tactics access, which includes having a certain number of players moving between the lines (pushing up or dropping deep). If a user's tactic is very static and keeps players glued to their line, then they arguably should be struggling to get results, just as a real life team playing totally static football would. Historically, users employing static tactics have been able to "beat" the ME rather than the AI by keeping their defence back and channeling their passes through to a single, usually quick, player. The lack of collision detection in the ME resulted in this player being guaranteed a certain number of good chances every match. The only thing that mattered was how well he played.

In reality, any team would be able to mark that player out of the game. The one dimensionality of the tactic then gets exposed, as it can't create another type of chance. A user with this type of tactic should be seeing bad football and getting frustrated. How do you know that is you? Generally, if you always kept both FBs on Defend duties, had at least one DLP, possibly two, and forwards only on Attack duties, then there is the strong possibility you were relying on the 'no collision' exploit to overpower the ME. If you had multiple DLPs and an FC in the FCC position, it was almost certainly you.

Ultimately, if this type of tactic is struggling, then it is evidence that the ME has improved structurally. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have some bugs, such as GK distribution, shooting too often from extreme angles, pressing not being aggressive enough etc. However, these are all secondary to the overall structure working far, far better. Structural improvement was the key focus of the two year ME redevelop, which required the introduction of player collision and ball physics. If you can't see quite how much this has improved the overall play of the ME, then you are missing the wood for the trees. Everything outside of this structural improvement is polishing. The ME might need burnishing in certain areas, but the underlying framework has improved significantly.

I think the above quote brings out a lot of truths....particularly about myself over the last 5/6 years where I've been playing FM seriously. I've been used to developing a tactic / ''borrowing'' someone elses (tweaking or no tweaking) that look to overcome the match engine and I've always been successful. These tactics are unrealistic and look to exploit the match engine.....I used to get frustrated that unrealistic tactics ruled FM whereas ones I deemed would be successful in real life failed miserably, but then I become accustom to it.

Now as a real life coach and manager, hopefully I will be able to bring my real life football knowledge on to football manage and I look forward to the challenge! :P

I've gone through close to 20 seasons now all with different teams and trying out different approaches to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
Narrow attacking formations which rely on direct fast balls forward(which seems to be the go to style for a lot of people) seem really fragile and I've often lost in crazy 4-3 games.

That being said 451, 4321, 442 and some of the better worked out 424 formations seem to be the strongest by some way so far, width is more important now than it was in fm12 I feel. A focus more on short passing football to keep possession seems to be the way to go. Using the channels going forward with one or two players holding the ball up makes for great forward movement.

1) playing a default formation like a simple 442 (with mr&ml) along with a 433 (with amc or dm) seem to work the best (I have not tried too many other ones but the more simple it is the better)
is this a 433 with wingers (aml&amr) or with 3 center forwards?

I've gone through close to 20 seasons now all with different teams and trying out different approaches to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
Narrow attacking formations which rely on direct fast balls forward(which seems to be the go to style for a lot of people) seem really fragile and I've often lost in crazy 4-3 games.

That being said 451, 4321, 442 and some of the better worked out 424 formations seem to be the strongest by some way so far, width is more important now than it was in fm12 I feel. A focus more on short passing football to keep possession seems to be the way to go. Using the channels going forward with one or two players holding the ball up makes for great forward movement.

That relied on the no collision issue, in short, people were gaming the ME. Now people actually have to construct logical approaches ^^)

That relied on the no collision issue, in short, people were gaming the ME. Now people actually have to construct logical approaches ^^)
Good times for all ^^)

See, it's easy to overlook the good stuff for the bad at the moment. The game is a LOT harder, which is good, since in the last one if you had a good enough team you could play a regular 4-4-2 and steamroller everything in the league anyway (looking at you, Mike).

It's the little stuff I'm appreciating at the moment. Target men, for instance, work WAY better. You can actually now have smaller players playing in and around a big hold-up target man. Everything worked and reacted exactly how it should. This is indicative to me of the detail put into the smaller things in the ME, and more encouragingly how much better the ME is as a whole.

Once we're two or so patches in, and all of the glaring bugs fixed, this will be a monster of a game.

Man, you must be feeling so smug now your fifty hours per file of tactical tweaking might actually have some effect. It was amusing watching you try to make fluid, intricate formations when I could just stick Seydou Doumbia up front as a poacher and punt the ball up to him for the same effect.

See, it's easy to overlook the good stuff for the bad at the moment. The game is a LOT harder, which is good, since in the last one if you had a good enough team you could play a regular 4-4-2 and steamroller everything in the league anyway (looking at you, Mike).

It's the little stuff I'm appreciating at the moment. Target men, for instance, work WAY better. You can actually now have smaller players playing in and around a big hold-up target man. Everything worked and reacted exactly how it should. This is indicative to me of the detail put into the smaller things in the ME, and more encouragingly how much better the ME is as a whole.

Once we're two or so patches in, and all of the glaring bugs fixed, this will be a monster of a game.

my 4-4-2 was anything but regular, nor i did stick with it. Played 4-2-3-1 more often, especially in europe.

Man, you must be feeling so smug now your fifty hours per file of tactical tweaking might actually have some effect. It was amusing watching you try to make fluid, intricate formations when I could just stick Seydou Doumbia up front as a poacher and punt the ball up to him for the same effect.

Yes, I feel smug as **** now, I'm not going to lie.

I also have tactics drawn up for every level of football now as a result, knowing that their logical approaches will be rightly rewarded.

#Nerd Victory

my 4-4-2 was anything but regular, nor i did stick with it. Played 4-2-3-1 more often, especially in europe.

That wasn't my point. My point was you thought you were a tactical genius when spanking Wigan 6-0 and fielding a front two of Rooney and Hernandez. :P

Yes, I feel smug as **** now, I'm not going to lie.

Guessed as much.

I also have tactics drawn up for every level of football now as a result, knowing that their logical approaches will be rightly rewarded.

#Nerd Victory

Words cannot describe how much I hope they fail.

Back