My Tottenham Hotspur Guide

• Thread starter Sam
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 13K
Decent guide but I wouldn't flog Dos Santos, when I was Spurs, he was quality..

I'm both pretty new at FM and American, but somehow I stumbled into a strange treble in Year Two 2011-2012: League Cup, FA Cup, Champions' League. Here's a few things I learned/did:

I kept my staff together until I got tired of Joe Jordan always disagreeing with Tim Sherwood. So I, probably mistakenly, fired Jordan. I picked up some Venus guy as assistant coach, and only much later starting paying attention to the ability levels of coaches (e.g. tactics 20). I noticed about 18 months in that I had no fitness coach (after he was poached and I didn't replace him). Mistakes were made.

In games, I ended up letting Sherwood ALWAYS pick the starters and I just filled in the subs. I almost always went with the formation suggested by Sherwood. Venus, too, always seemed to disagree but has started agreeing more and more recently.

I made the huge mistake of spending 24 million or so on Luis Suarez, who then proceeded to dive alot, miss shots and lead me to something like a 4-2-4 league start. I finally bit the bullet and was able to dump him on Valencia (IIRC) for 18 million or so. My popularity skyrocketed. We righted the ship a bit and ended up a distant 6th, only qualifying for Champions' League again by winning the **** thing.

So I struggled through the existent striker force of Pav, Keane, Crouch and somehow muddled through.

Perhaps the biggest thing was lucking into several good draws (lots of home league/FA Cup matches, a CL Group with Sevilla top seed, etc.) I didn't have a really tough CL game until Bayern in the Quarters...then it was All-England through Gunners and MUFC in the Final. It was Sunderland in the FA Cup Final and Bolton in the League Cup (IIRC). No complaints there...

I kept the squad pretty much intact, adding only Alou Diarra, Sebastian Corchia and some other youngsters (my plan is to keep playing Spurs for quite some time), but mainly it's been a matter of NOT getting rid of folks even they bother me to "play for a bigger team" (Bale, Corluka, etc.) Bale just bothered me about this AFTER we won this treble. Now he's turned down my latest contract extension offer (what a virtual jerk he is).

Yes it took far too much time, and Yes I'm a little embarrassed about the time-sink and the thrill of winning this treble...but there it is. I think I'll try a network game or two given my new over-sized ego. Hubris is a beautiful thing.

P.S.: After my Suarez debacle, I avoid the Dzekos and Cassanos of the world. I picked up Zarate and even that might be too much ego/money/diva..for me at least. Managing strikers in the real world must be such a royal pain...

Last edited:
i dont think you understood me, how shoulfd i play them (eg: advanced forward, poacher etc.)

Add Mexés and Surez(sp) to the list. They are doing well on my game, and I got them relatively cheap. Also Sortris Ninis. Also i think you should recommend what youth we have, and who to keep, loan sell, and replace ect.

What about Rodwell 14m

only a friendly but Defoe got 4 and Pavlyuchenko got 1 and 3 assists ;)

Tottenham Hotspur Guide

Club Information

Name: Tottenham Hotspur
Nickname: Spurs
Founded: 1882
Ground: White Hart Lane
Manager: Harry Redknapp
Chairman: Daniel Levy
League: Premier League
Last Year: 4th
Official Website: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/

Team Analysis

Goalkeepers

1. Heurelho Gomes
23. Carlo Cudicini
37. Stipe Pletikosa (Loan)

At Spurs you have a very good keeper in Gomes who may not be the most reliable can put in a good performance for your team, Cudicini plays as a brilliant back up keeper but he is getting old so maybe after a year or two you might want to look into signing a back up keeper who is young such as Sinan Bolat or Lukas Hradecky who aren't the most well known players but they would still be a perfect back up keeper

Reccomended Transfers

In:

Lukas Hradecky 1m

Defenders

2. Alan Hutton
4. Younes Kaboul
13. William Gallas
19. Sebastien Bassong
20. Michael Dawson

22. Vedran Corluka
26. Ledley King
32. Benoit Assou-Ekotto

When playing as Spurs you will need to sign a defender or two due to the amount of defender that are injury prone in the squad (King, Dawson, Corluka etc) so it would be sensible to bring in a Central Defender.

Reccomended Transfers

In:
Adil Rami 5.25m
Fabio Coentrao 7.5m

Midfield

3. Gareth Bale
5. David Bentley
6. Tom Huddlestone
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Jermaine Jenas
11. Rafael Van Der Vaart
12. Wilson Palacios
14. Luka Modric
17. Geovani Dos Santos
21. Niko Kranjcar
24. Jamie O'Hara

I feel the Midfield is strong so doesn't need much changing, maybe bring in a couple of wing players to provide competition for Lennon and Bale. You might also want to bring in a Hot Prospect for the future to train in your squad. There is a few players players you might want to offload who are surplus to requirements at the club. Geovani Dos Santos is one of those players but instead of selling him he still could be a good player so just loan him out.

Reccomended Transfers

In:
Marco Verratti 1.5m
Steven N'Zonzi

Out:
David Bentley 5m
Geovani Dos Santos (Loan for a fee of 500k)
Jamie O'Hara 2.5m

Strikers

9. Roman Pavlyuchenko
10. Robbie Keane
15. Peter Crouch
18. Jermaine Defoe

Spurs don't have the strongest strike force so you might want to bring in a player who will score 30 goals a season for your team to partner whoever you choose from the current squad, I would use Pavlyuchenko as he is the whole package with his heading and finishing abilities meaning he can play any where up front.

Reccomended Transfers

In:
Roque Santa Cruz: 3m or Mladen Petric 5m
Edin Dzeko 20m

Out:
Robbie Keane 5m

Staff:

The staff at White Hart Lane is fine so I think doesn't need changing.

Tactic:
The Counter Diamond Version 1 (Crewe, Jan 2016).tac
Tweaked so that the 2 middle players are wingers

I love this 4-1-2-1-2 tactic it is really attacking and scores a lot and it would suit spurs perfectly.

Hope this helps. :)

i got maxwell for 4 million he is quality, sold ekotto for 15 million, also park is available for 4.5:)

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Hi, how would you reccomend playing Pavlyuchenko and defoe upfront

nah i play defoe and keane, 50 goals between them and im only in feb