My Wattford tactical experiments where I am fighting for Premiership in first season

This is my latest tactic what I used in 17.1.2 with Hull where I managed to win Premiership in first season.
This tactic have some certain roles what I don’t prefer (wingers,Target man),and It was created by me just because I was really bored so I wanted something new.

Tactic is very simple, wide players are focused to cross on target man,3 physical midfielders will tackle and harass opponent, defense will stay deep to avoid trough balls and be more efficient with dealing with opponent crosses.

To be efficient with this tactic you need to have good full backs and target man who can score goals alone.

Good fullbacks are hard to buy so play with some team who is strong in that area.

Wingers need to have pace to out run opponent and cross.

AML-LEFT FOOT
AMR-RIGHT FOOT

This tactic was played on 17.1.2 and only tested with Hull so maybe will require some tweaks in future.

Currently I don’t have time,but people want to try it.

It plays great in the latest patch too. As i said, i've recreated this in my game, based on pictures you released here. Control, structured, those 13 TI. Didn't set any PI, didn't used any OI. Simulated till the end of season and won CH with original Leeds squad, no players bought. Definitely gonna start using it in my main save.

Have you tried changing the defensive midfielder to a deep lying playmaker with more risky passes. Sometimes you just wish he makes that through ball to winger or fullback coming forward. But maybe it ruins the build up of play?

Great tactic, using the 4-3-1-2. Just won with 5-0 from Arsenal and 3-1 away at Barcelona (they only had 1 shot on target).

Great tactic, using the 4-3-1-2. Just won with 5-0 from Arsenal and 3-1 away at Barcelona (they only had 1 shot on target).

Try to play with deep defensive line or buy better full backs.

Experimenting and implementing solutions what will benefit to your team are mandatory for every pro manager.

Of course I have to find self road but it is very interesting because Watford shouldn't have much better full backs than Preston :).

I have tired with deep defensive line but it doesn't working. I have to find something different.

Of course I have to find self road but it is very interesting because Watford shouldn't have much better full backs than Preston :).

I have tired with deep defensive line but it doesn't working. I have to find something different.

Most of us are conceding goals from crosses match engine is bad.

I see that people fail with Marseile,so this afternon I done some testing.

I canot belive that you canot make good sqiad with 30m budget.

I whas shocked when I saw transfer budget for this club.

Berahino total 31m.

I menaged to spend 60 m on players and still have some.

Menaged to buy Berahino,Veziu,Kuki,Walace,Mings,Pereira
Total 60m

Playing 4 3 1 2 for low quality teams and top of table.

8 games 7 clean sheets

Only in one game conceded 3 goals with result 3-3

I realy dont see reason to fail with this team where you can spend 60m

OK, so I've had a a strange experience using the 4-3-1-2 tactic:

I'm playing Middlesbrough, and I'd dropped into the relegation zone by december after a run of poor results, so I tried this tactic and won 8 games in a row. Strikers are Stuani and Negredo.

Then all of a sudden, I lose one game 2-0 to a team that is bottom of the league (Crystal Palace), and now I have lost 7 league games in a row, often 1-0. It seems that teams are really hard to break down, and the only time i've scored in those losses were games against arsenal and man uUd. I tried switching to the 4-3-3 against weaker teams at home and that didn't work, also switching to attacking mentality won me one game in the FA cup during that period against a weaker team, but I played the team who were 19th after that in the league and lost 1-0.

It seems to me that when the tactic was working the team was essentially bulldozing down the middle, with the two strikers playing one twos and taking long shots, or with the shadow striker making runs through the middle and scoring a decent percentage of the goals. The complete wing backs never seem to get involved, maybe 1 highlights per match - the complete forwards seem to find themselves out wide more often. Once thing that was very apparent when I was losing was that teams were completely choking the middle and my players were reduced to a lot of passing and then long shots, with the opposition having a high percentage of blocks.

Any ideas? It seems weird that the tactic would go from completely awesome to lame duck in the space of a handful of games!

EDIT: Also, I've seen comments in the thread and I was rarely conceding from crosses, most of the time it's a central striker running onto a through ball and winning the one-on-one.

Last edited:
OK, so I've had a a strange experience using the 4-3-1-2 tactic:

I'm playing Middlesbrough, and I'd dropped into the relegation zone by december after a run of poor results, so I tried this tactic and won 8 games in a row. Strikers are Stuani and Negredo.

Then all of a sudden, I lose one game 2-0 to a team that is bottom of the league (Crystal Palace), and now I have lost 7 league games in a row, often 1-0. It seems that teams are really hard to break down, and the only time i've scored in those losses were games against arsenal and man uUd. I tried switching to the 4-3-3 against weaker teams at home and that didn't work, also switching to attacking mentality won me one game in the FA cup during that period against a weaker team, but I played the team who were 19th after that in the league and lost 1-0.

It seems to me that when the tactic was working the team was essentially bulldozing down the middle, with the two strikers playing one twos and taking long shots, or with the shadow striker making runs through the middle and scoring a decent percentage of the goals. The complete wing backs never seem to get involved, maybe 1 highlights per match - the complete forwards seem to find themselves out wide more often. Once thing that was very apparent when I was losing was that teams were completely choking the middle and my players were reduced to a lot of passing and then long shots, with the opposition having a high percentage of blocks.

Any ideas? It seems weird that the tactic would go from completely awesome to lame duck in the space of a handful of games!

EDIT: Also, I've seen comments in the thread and I was rarely conceding from crosses, most of the time it's a central striker running onto a through ball and winning the one-on-one.

Moral menagment is very important you canot afford bad losing streak.

Observe the games and see what players are not performing and replace them.

Also buy new striker Veziu is good pick.

Try version for low quality teams with halfback

Last edited:
Played 30 games in division an 7 games in cup only 2 defeats for now.

Both game I lost are with same result 2-1.

Also both games lost against Montpelier.

I will try to win triple with Marseile in first season.

Playing pirate poacher tactic mostly.

Happy holidays

Moral menagment is very important you canot afford bad losing streak.

Observe the games and see what players are not performing and replace them.

Also buy new striker Veziu is good pick.

Try version for low quality teams with halfback

Cool, will give that a go - only started using the tactic mid season and had the losing streak during the end of the january transfer window, so will look to rebuild at the end of the season. First thing I was looking to replace are the strikers, then will see how I get on from there :)

Played 30 games in division an 7 games in cup only 2 defeats for now.

Both game I lost are with same result 2-1.

Also both games lost against Montpelier.

I will try to win triple with Marseile in first season.

Playing pirate poacher tactic mostly.

Happy holidays

Awesome!
I'm in my second year with Wolves, Premiership now, 5th place with 6 games to go! :)
using same tactics ! Pirate poacher mostly! :)

Cool, will give that a go - only started using the tactic mid season and had the losing streak during the end of the january transfer window, so will look to rebuild at the end of the season. First thing I was looking to replace are the strikers, then will see how I get on from there :)

Do you choose the Central mid as halfback?

Berahino won all individual awards,my suggestion for second season is to buy Lacazete and use Berahino as shadow striker.He is insane on shadow striker tested that.

I was having luck no any major injury of strikers also won few cup games on penalties.

Biggest issue was Kuki who was oscillating a lot,also he is not capable to make difference in big games.

Board gave me 65m for next season,this club can be insane in just few years.

Tyrione Mings is absolute beast he is physical monster, must buy for every team who plays with 4 players in back.

Used both tactics,availability of midfielders dictated what I will play.

Only 3 defeats in entire season including cup competions,two fucken defeats from Montpelier who finished on bottom of division.

2/3 of season played on old patch,1/3 on 17.2.

Last edited:

Berahino won all individual awards,my suggestion for second season is to buy Lacazete and use Berahino as shadow striker.He is insane on shadow striker tested that.

I was having luck no any major injury of strikers also won few cup games on penalties.

Biggest issue was Kuki who was oscillating a lot,also he is not capable to make difference in big games.

Board gave me 65m for next season,this club can be insane in just few years.

Tyrione Mings is absolute beast he is physical monster, must buy for every team who plays with 4 players in back.

Used both tactics,availability of midfielders dictated what I will play.

Only 3 defeats in entire season including cup competions,two fucken defeats from Montpelier who finished on bottom of division.

2/3 of season played on old patch,1/3 on 17.2.

Very nice!
Do you recommend using halfback? I got Walace too in my Wolves squad.
Pushing through the 3th place in premiership now, Got Tyron Mings and Dominic Iorfa! So true about tall,good header wingbacks! They are beasts!