Need help? Confused why your team aren't scoring? Ask if you need help...

PhilipRhys

Reaction score
Hey guys...
I'm an FM11 addict, and I just thought I'd post this thread to let you all know that if you're having trouble with your team or your tactics, I'm your man!

I can help you with near enough any specific part of your gameplay, although I don't know much about changing skins, badges, etc... So only post if you need help on the game itself.

Currently won the Coca-Cola Championship with Cardiff City, then qualified for the Champions League, reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League, won the FA Cup, and lost in the final of the League Cup... On my recent season I am currently in the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup... I'm currently 2nd in the Premier League.

I also won Serie A and the Champions League with Napoli on a different save file.

Sounds impressive, but this is a football manager based website - many people are verrry good.

FM11 is micey though... bugs and inconsistencies everywhere so your help could be useful :)

Help with my team

I think my problems is right in your area of expertise!

So here's the deal. Last season (my first in FM2011) went great! I had managed to set up a tactic that worked fine. My offense was in full bloom scoring an average of 2 to 3 goals per game. My defense was solid and very rarely allowed more than one goal per game.

I finished first in my championship (French First League) and won the french cup. Nene, my Left Offensive midfield was the leading passer with 19 assists and Hoarau, my main goalscorer, was 3rd in the league with 16 goals.

Over the offseason none of my starting players left. I made a few additions but mainly subsitutes and I didn't change my starting lineup. Pre-season games went very well, winning all of them against teams of same or better reputation.

Then the season really began and I have no idea what has gone out of whack. My offense can't hit the goal even if they're 5 feet away. The great assists that I was getting have disapeared and my strikers are maxed out at 4 goals at midway point in the season. Nene looks like he had a leg amputation at some point and Hoarau is on the verge of making me push him out the door because he's been so poor.

To add insult to injury my defense is crumbling. They are now allowing soft goals that drive me absolutely up the wall and in general the whole team just watches as opposing players run for the ball or steal it from them.

I really could use some help with this. My tactic is 4 defenders, a defensive midfieler, a center midfielder, two offensive midefielders on both wings and two strikers.

Last season this produced wonderfully for me. Once again, I haven't changed my lineup and the moral in the dressing rooms is great.

Where have I gone wrong??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I have a problem too.

I am currently playing 4231 tactic with nike defense. Defense is really good, only concede 18 in a season.

However, my lone striker isnt really scoring. I have the lowest number of goals for the top 4. most of my goals come form the hole and the 2 inside forward.

I played Paloschi and Neymar on rotation. But the goal just isnt coming. I played them as advanced forward.

My question is, should they hold up the ball? or should I let them roam? run with ball often or mix?

Thanks

I have a problem too.

I am currently playing 4231 tactic with nike defense. Defense is really good, only concede 18 in a season.

However, my lone striker isnt really scoring. I have the lowest number of goals for the top 4. most of my goals come form the hole and the 2 inside forward.

I played Paloschi and Neymar on rotation. But the goal just isnt coming. I played them as advanced forward.

My question is, should they hold up the ball? or should I let them roam? run with ball often or mix?

Thanks

Try making them a Complete Forward. So they can craft their own chances and for our players.

Middlesbrough Help

I am currently in my first season at Middlesbrough and i just cannot get my Strikers to score. Im in December and Kris Boyd and Scott Mcdonald have scored 2 goals each

I play 4-4-2
Attacking wide midfielders
Centre mid as support advanced playmaker 9he usually scores or sets up goals)
Centre mid as defensive ball winning midfield

Mcdonald as Attacking Poacher or advanced forward
Kris Boyd as Support Deep lying
I have rotated these guys and tried different roles

I play control at home and counter away

i always control possesion and have twice as many shots

thanks

I think my problems is right in your area of expertise!

So here's the deal. Last season (my first in FM2011) went great! I had managed to set up a tactic that worked fine. My offense was in full bloom scoring an average of 2 to 3 goals per game. My defense was solid and very rarely allowed more than one goal per game.

I finished first in my championship (French First League) and won the french cup. Nene, my Left Offensive midfield was the leading passer with 19 assists and Hoarau, my main goalscorer, was 3rd in the league with 16 goals.

Over the offseason none of my starting players left. I made a few additions but mainly subsitutes and I didn't change my starting lineup. Pre-season games went very well, winning all of them against teams of same or better reputation.

Then the season really began and I have no idea what has gone out of whack. My offense can't hit the goal even if they're 5 feet away. The great assists that I was getting have disapeared and my strikers are maxed out at 4 goals at midway point in the season. Nene looks like he had a leg amputation at some point and Hoarau is on the verge of making me push him out the door because he's been so poor.

To add insult to injury my defense is crumbling. They are now allowing soft goals that drive me absolutely up the wall and in general the whole team just watches as opposing players run for the ball or steal it from them.

I really could use some help with this. My tactic is 4 defenders, a defensive midfieler, a center midfielder, two offensive midefielders on both wings and two strikers.

Last season this produced wonderfully for me. Once again, I haven't changed my lineup and the moral in the dressing rooms is great.

Where have I gone wrong??

Thanks in advance for the help!!
absolutkendall....

Have you tried shuffling your team around at all? Try out new positions and stuff?
If you've already done this, try having a private chat and see what you can do in there....

Other than that, shuffle your formation around after a few games.... Keep your opponents guessing as using the same tactics and formations and players often becomes very predictable for your opponents to read... Shuffle your tactics, formation and line-up and see where you get after a few games and see if there's any more positivity...

If that doesn't work, try bringing in a big player, someone who could really boost the morale of the team... Seeings as you're in the French League, try signing a French player with a fairly big reputation... This will bring the passion back into the game, and your players will believe they can win games...

Try them out... If none of them work, get back to me with your exact tactics, and I'll see what needs changing in there....

Hope this helps

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I have a problem too.

Thanks
If their contracts are set as Rotation, they may be cautious of making mistakes, therefore resisting their creative play, therefore not scoring many goals... Offer them new contracts with maybe a First-Team status or a Key Player, depending on who plays the most games for you.....

You should also look at their attributes... Check how well their positioning and off the ball runs are... You should see which striker is the more strongest of the two, and have him to hold up the ball... Then you should have the other player there to run beyond him for a through ball... So make sure you have the striker that holds up the ball to attempt through balls often... Make sure the other striker is pacey too.... This of course means playing with 2 up front...

If you don't want to change your formation, you should have your best striker up front, and have him run with the ball often... Then you should have your advanced midfielders supporting him, therefore having them make a lot of forward runs, also set them so they run with the ball often too, so you're striker has some supplies coming in....

Try that....

hello mate, just got one question, is there any other way i can get my defenders to actually tackle the other team without just going up to them and stopping,

thanks, my defence is good but sometimes dont challenge for like the whole game aahahaha

cheers

I am currently in my first season at Middlesbrough and i just cannot get my Strikers to score. Im in December and Kris Boyd and Scott Mcdonald have scored 2 goals each

I play 4-4-2
Attacking wide midfielders
Centre mid as support advanced playmaker 9he usually scores or sets up goals)
Centre mid as defensive ball winning midfield

Mcdonald as Attacking Poacher or advanced forward
Kris Boyd as Support Deep lying
I have rotated these guys and tried different roles

I play control at home and counter away

i always control possesion and have twice as many shots

thanks
Are you conceding many goals?

My suggestion is to change Kris Boyd to a target man, as he is a powerful striker, have him attempt through balls... Then check McDonalds ball control and dribbling, if its 14 or above, have him run with the ball often....

When you're at home, try playing an attacking style of play... It'll have your players feeling confident...
Or if you're cautious of doing that... When you start a match, after 5mins or so, press the Touchline Instructions option, and tell them to Get The Ball Foward... It will get them playing more attacking, at a Controlled level... Also try utilising the pace out wide, if you have any... Get them playing wide, and running with the ball often...

Hope that helps....

Coming from a guy that has a total of 10 posts, at an average of 0.04 posts a day? Gonna be lucky to catch you on your day off.

hello mate, just got one question, is there any other way i can get my defenders to actually tackle the other team without just going up to them and stopping,

thanks, my defence is good but sometimes dont challenge for like the whole game aahahaha

cheers
Ah right... What team are you?
Do you have the Tackling set to soft? I haven't actually come across this problem before... Maybe try setting the Tackling to hard.... If there's still no luck for you, have your team play at a fast tempo, this will make them more eager to get the ball back so they can spring forward once more....

Thats all I can suggest sorry....

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Coming from a guy that has a total of 10 posts, at an average of 0.04 posts a day? Gonna be lucky to catch you on your day off.
My laptop has been down... Thats why I haven't been on here... Hence the late replies.

I hadn't had a chance to connect in a few days.
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll give that a shot. One of my problems with bringing a big player in is that my board is not giving me hardly an money at all for transfers!

Hey by the way, do you have any explanation about why in one game my team can beat AC Milan 1-0 with plenty of offense happening all over the place and good defense, but in the following match against a team ranked 14th in the french league, my players looked like peewee league guys?

Im Liverpool, have a VERY good team...and my away form isnt as good as i feel it could be.. i play4-2-2-2 with wingers and cms and play attacking fast paced...at home i am very freescoring and have beaten man utd 7-1 :L, man city and arsenal already and its only november... away it doesnt seem to work so well..any clues?

Hi there!

I play with Benfica with a 4-4-2, but with two wingers pushed up and I have two issues.

First one is that I have very good atackers: Cardozo (target man) and Saviola (trequartista), but they are shooting right to the keeper often. Any idea why I'm not able to scoring this easy face to face goals?

Second one is that I have games where I make more then 16 shots but only 5~6 of them go to goal. And in this games I win 1-0, 2-1 or I lose the game...

If you have any tip for me I would be glad to hear about.

I have issues with opposition instructions.How do u handle player like Ronaldo or Messi type of player that keep tearing your defence apart with their dribbling and Pacey striker such Torres and Bent that keep outrunning your DC??Also if they're playing 2 upfront,say Rooney and Berba is it good to close down/mark both of them??

I hadn't had a chance to connect in a few days.
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll give that a shot. One of my problems with bringing a big player in is that my board is not giving me hardly an money at all for transfers!

Hey by the way, do you have any explanation about why in one game my team can beat AC Milan 1-0 with plenty of offense happening all over the place and good defense, but in the following match against a team ranked 14th in the french league, my players looked like peewee league guys?
Some teams seem to struggle against teams with lower reputation and lower form, players seem to think they don't need to try in order to win the game.... So before the match, make sure you set the right team talk, make the players know you expect them to win the game, and expecting nothing less....

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

Im Liverpool, have a VERY good team...and my away form isnt as good as i feel it could be.. i play4-2-2-2 with wingers and cms and play attacking fast paced...at home i am very freescoring and have beaten man utd 7-1 :L, man city and arsenal already and its only november... away it doesnt seem to work so well..any clues?
Teams are alot more confident on their home turfs, therefore underlining your EPIC 7-1 WIN OVER UNITED!! I love you for that! Haha....

Teams need to adopt a slightly more cautious approach away from home, in order to withstand the force from the home side... Try slightly lowering the amount of attack in your away games, and maybe play with a slower tempo so your side can take control of the game.

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

Hi there!

I play with Benfica with a 4-4-2, but with two wingers pushed up and I have two issues.

First one is that I have very good atackers: Cardozo (target man) and Saviola (trequartista), but they are shooting right to the keeper often. Any idea why I'm not able to scoring this easy face to face goals?

Second one is that I have games where I make more then 16 shots but only 5~6 of them go to goal. And in this games I win 1-0, 2-1 or I lose the game...

If you have any tip for me I would be glad to hear about.
First one, check your strikers composure, if thats below 15, then you're lucky if they finish simple chances off at all... Also if your side are playing negatively, then if a chance comes your way, its unlikely that your player would finish it as he would probably be in shock after getting into a decent position in a game where you've been out of it....

Second one, not alot you can do about that really, unless you take your players into a private chat and have them improving their shooting... If you struggle to score more than 1 goal after you've done this, make sure you tighten up your defence, a point is better than none... Then buy someone in another transfer window....

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 AM ----------

I have issues with opposition instructions.How do u handle player like Ronaldo or Messi type of player that keep tearing your defence apart with their dribbling and Pacey striker such Torres and Bent that keep outrunning your DC??Also if they're playing 2 upfront,say Rooney and Berba is it good to close down/mark both of them??
I thought this question would pop up sooner or later....
There's not much you can do about pacey strikers/wingers, as you can't really improve your players sprint speed and/or accelaration... I suggest you play with a fairly deep defensive line, this means your defenders will have a head start on over the top balls, and it also means the oppositions passing has to be accurate as if they over hit it, it will go straight to your goalkeeper...
Other than that you may need to buy a defender with pace, and have a deep line, then it means he could keep up with the pacey strikers for the majority of the time....

As for the 2 strikers... Especially Rooney and Berbatov, its better not to assign set markers for them, as players like them often move about the pitch, and if you have someone set to mark them, then it will destroy the shape of your team....
For the strikers, they should really be closed down all over the pitch, as they are the most creative players, and the ones that are really going to sink your team... Stop the strikers, stop the goals.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for this opportunity to pick your brains of wisdom. Your announcement was a very strong inditement of what seems a good but unimpressive resume of FM 2011 credentials.

I have played the FM / CM games since the original incarnations (from about CM Italia) onwards and have found the games very enjoyable. I have never been brilliant at the game, only when starting with teams such as Tottenham or Liverpool and really find it hard to take small clubs to the top.

I have also read lots in forums regarding tactics over the years and your answers are suprisingly lacking in depth or theory. That said, I have a feeling you know what your doing, so here goes my scenario:

2nd season with Reading. 1st season was uneventful if not dangerously close to being dire, but a run of form near the latter stages meant I missed out on goal difference on a playoff place. Having recklessly overspent on wages many of my first team and coaches left on bosmans due to no funds being able to offer new contracts. Consequently I have been able to re-build a team, and it is arguably better.

I have two formations which I flick between, one being a 4-2-3-1 formation (rigid, standard, no roaming) and also 4-4-2 (similar build). It really depends on what my pre-advice meeting says I should do, to which formation I choose. I also change depth, tempo and width on this basis also.

2nd season went really well so far (18 games in & 4th). My big problem exists with me dominating posession and getting plenty of shots away but only getting a couple on Target. My recent anti-triumph was against bottom of the league Doncaster, who after 60 minutes play (17 off target 1 on target) they scored having had 4 shots and 3 on target). I then went on to obliterate the team but not score.

So my questions are:
1) How do I get more shots on Target
2) is it worth me having a set home and away tactic (in terms of attacking / counter) etc or am I doing the right thing in changing depth, width & tempo from game to game.

My 1st team is:

GK - Federici
DL - Van Aarnholt (brilliant loanie for champ teams)
DC - Olegeur
DC - Alex Pearce / Ian Harte (just bought a 20 year old Argentine from Real Madrid - Name excapes me)
DR - Stuart Parnaby
DMC - Berson
DMC - Karacan
AML - Caffa
AMC - Kakuta / Howard
AMR - Kebe / McAnuff
FC - Church / Guerra / Gudjohnson

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for this opportunity to pick your brains of wisdom. Your announcement was a very strong inditement of what seems a good but unimpressive resume of FM 2011 credentials.

I have played the FM / CM games since the original incarnations (from about CM Italia) onwards and have found the games very enjoyable. I have never been brilliant at the game, only when starting with teams such as Tottenham or Liverpool and really find it hard to take small clubs to the top.

I have also read lots in forums regarding tactics over the years and your answers are suprisingly lacking in depth or theory. That said, I have a feeling you know what your doing, so here goes my scenario:

2nd season with Reading. 1st season was uneventful if not dangerously close to being dire, but a run of form near the latter stages meant I missed out on goal difference on a playoff place. Having recklessly overspent on wages many of my first team and coaches left on bosmans due to no funds being able to offer new contracts. Consequently I have been able to re-build a team, and it is arguably better.

I have two formations which I flick between, one being a 4-2-3-1 formation (rigid, standard, no roaming) and also 4-4-2 (similar build). It really depends on what my pre-advice meeting says I should do, to which formation I choose. I also change depth, tempo and width on this basis also.

2nd season went really well so far (18 games in & 4th). My big problem exists with me dominating posession and getting plenty of shots away but only getting a couple on Target. My recent anti-triumph was against bottom of the league Doncaster, who after 60 minutes play (17 off target 1 on target) they scored having had 4 shots and 3 on target). I then went on to obliterate the team but not score.

So my questions are:
1) How do I get more shots on Target
2) is it worth me having a set home and away tactic (in terms of attacking / counter) etc or am I doing the right thing in changing depth, width & tempo from game to game.

My 1st team is:

GK - Federici
DL - Van Aarnholt (brilliant loanie for champ teams)
DC - Olegeur
DC - Alex Pearce / Ian Harte (just bought a 20 year old Argentine from Real Madrid - Name excapes me)
DR - Stuart Parnaby
DMC - Berson
DMC - Karacan
AML - Caffa
AMC - Kakuta / Howard
AMR - Kebe / McAnuff
FC - Church / Guerra / Gudjohnson
Sometimes you don't need to make drastic changes to win, hence I usually reply with the simple alternative first....

Question 1... There could be many things as to why your shots are not getting on target, either a lack of composure, or just the specific chances falling to the wrong types of players... You should have pace as well as quality on the wings, so Caffa is great on the left, I have him on my current Newcastle season... I suggest starting Kebe on the right whenever possible... Seeings as you're playing one up front, go for the player that is stronger, and more forceful, this helps when leading the attack... Make him a complete forward, and in the advanced player options, allow him to hold up the ball... For the wingers, have them run with the ball often, run from deep often, and make plenty of crosses and through balls... For your ACM, make sure you have him attempting through balls, running from deep, and sometimes shooting from range, also allow him to roam from position.... Your highest 4 should be allowed to use alot of creative freedom, this therefore keeps the defence guessing... Also, make sure you're wingers are more understandable to their role, and don't have them attempting many shots...

Question 2... Set tactics sometimes do work, but then you become over-reliant on them, and if you start winning games, you may blame the tactics if you lose, and then change them, then actually set the wrong ones... Sounds like you're doing the right thing in changing depth, width and tempo... Sometimes, you will have to change things such as creative freedom, roaming, and closing down... But yeah, you seem to be creating the chances, so thats good.... Just have you're wingers support your striker, and he will hold the ball up for them to run beyond him...

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll share the tactics I'm using for my Newcastle team, as you're playing the same formation.... I'm currently 2nd in the prem, 14 games in....

I hope you can give me some help. Right now I'm managing PSV and I'm first in the eredivisie( Dutch top league) and I've created 4 different tactics that suit the team all with similar team and player instructions. So far it's worked really well because I pick one of the four tactics which would be strongest against my opponent. My questions and the points where I need some advice on is first of all: Is it good to have more than 3 tactics (since team preparation allows 3)
Secondly: how should I adapt and make the step from PSV to a team like Brighton? I just can't manage teams that aren't in the top division because of the lack of finance and i can't find the balance between attack and defense for teams like Brighton when playing against bigger teams.