Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

CJACKO11

Reaction score
Venue: St James Park - Newcastle
Kickoff: 13:30
Competition: Barclays Premier League round 15

Newcastle News:
The hosts have had a strange season, often performing better against the more difficult sides, and away from St James' Park. They beat arch rivals Sunderland 5-1 at home but have lost there to the likes of Blackpool, Stoke and Blackburn. Chris Hughton's team did beat a much-changed, ten-man Chelsea team 4-3 in the League Cup at Stamford Bridge despite resting a few players themselves.

Yet they were spanked 5-1 by Bolton at the Reebok last weekend, with the score already 4-1 before Fabricio Coloccini was ordered off the field. An elbow, a head-**** and a punch may sound like the average ladies' night out on the infamous Bigg Market, but such incidents on the playing field have rendered three of Toon's regulars unavailable.

They are missing both centre-backs, Coloccini and Michael Williamson, for different incidents involving the same player, Bolton's Johan Elmander. The pair had been ever-present starters in the league so far. The Magpies are fortunate they have cover in that area. The absences open up the prospect of another outing for Sol Campbell against Chelsea, possibly with Steven Taylor returning to the first team after a long spell recovering from injury.

Campbell played in the Magpies' 4-3 League Cup win at Stamford Bridge and came on as a sub at Bolton, while Taylor last figured in January. They have briefly played together for Newcastle's Reserves. Influential midfielder Joey Barton is also suspended for the last of his three-match ban for clobbering Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Chris Hughton likes to have two holding midfielders and two wide men. He puts either Shola Ameobi or Nile Ranger in alongside impressive top scorer Andy Carroll, or asks Kevin Nolan to tuck in just behind him. Goalie Tim Krul's run in the side started just before our League Cup meeting following Steve Harper's shoulder injury. He has yet to be beaten from outside the box this season in the league.

Chelsea News:
Carlo Ancelotti has Jose Bosingwa available for Sunday's trip to Newcastle but John Terry, Frank Lampard and Yury Zhirkov are still sidelined. Portuguese international Bosingwa is likely to replace Paulo Ferreira at right-back as we look for a first away win in a month, but we will have to do without both the captain and vice-captain for at least another week, while Michael Essien completes his three-match domestic suspension.

Zhirkov's absence with a calf problem suggests Florent Malouda will continue in the three-man midfield alongside Ramires and John Mikel Obi, who was rested for our midweek win over MSK Zilina at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea were the only English club to have a nominee in each team category of the Fifa/Fifpro World XI for this year: goalkeeper Petr Cech, defenders John Terry and Ashley Cole, midfielders Michael Essien and Frank Lampard, and forward Didier Drogba. Unfortunately we could again be without several of those big hitters this weekend through suspension for Essien (the last of three) and injury to others. Nicolas Anelka is five goals away from joining Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Frank Lampard in the top ten of all-time Premier League goalscorers. He will depose Dwight Yorke - formerly of Toon's big rivals Sunderland.

It will be interesting to see how Carlo Ancelotti sets his team up for this tricky away trip. Having seen his youngsters do well against Žilina and his available personnel click with two defensive midfielders deployed in that game and also at Birmingham, he may be inclined to start with that system against Newcastle's 4-4-1-1.

Newcastle Stats:
  • Only Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal (with 17) have scored more league goals at home than Newcastle's 15
  • Newcastle have won more points away from home than at St James' Park this season. Only West Ham have won fewer at home
  • This term they have won eight points out of a possible 21 at St James' Park with wins against Aston Villa and Sunderland, draws with Wigan and Fulham and defeats to Blackpool, Stoke and Blackburn
  • United have won three away games at Everton, West Ham and Arsenal
Chelsea Stats:
  • It is 421 games and 11 years since Chelsea last lost three successive Premier League matches (Liverpool away 0-1, Arsenal home 2-3 and Derby away 1-3) in October 1999
  • Having failed to score once in the Premier League last season (at Birmingham), we have failed to notch a goal in five of our last nine games
  • Michael Essien's header against Fulham is our only goal in over six hours of Barclays Premier League football
  • Chelsea have scored the most goals (28) with Man Utd and Arsenal and conceded the fewest (nine) in the Premier League this term
  • Chelsea have gone 22 games since a score draw, the longest run in the Premier League
Key Stat:
  • Chelsea are unbeaten in our last 57 games against newly promoted teams, with 50 wins and seven draws

lol at the game abandoned due to snow XD

i would have voted for Newcastle but i coudn't resist voting snowed off <)

fourth straight league defeat coming up for Chelsea.

Newcastle United 1 Chelsea 0
Andy Carroll

fourth straight league defeat coming up for Chelsea.

Newcastle United 1 Chelsea 0
Andy Carroll

No if we lose it will be the 3rd straight league defeat, 4 defeats in 5 is what i think you are trying to say.

sorry, third straight defeat then.

Better lol.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

In our last 2 visits to Newcastle we won both games 2-0 with back then a inconsistant off form Malouda scoring a goal in both games. So if i was a betting man i would have Malouda to score at anytime and the score of your choice. I don't really want to call this one but because im a **** i will. With Alex and Ivanovic at centre back and Bosingwa back at right back i think its a strong backline, i think we will nick it 1-0 and i think/hope Drogba will score the goal.

You should have added Newcastle getting hammered, then the game gets abandoned because of snow lol.

didn't say a score so 2-1 newcastle

carrol x2

flo mo

I can't see this game going down well for Chelsea, always a tough place to go is Newcastle, so, either a 0-0 bore draw, or the game gets snowed off (6)

Newcastle to go 4-0 up and the game gets called off in the last few minutes. Chelsea win the replay.

lol at being snowed off! Think Home advantage will pay dividens, and Chelsea won't get all three points. I certainly hope not, but Newcastle have been pretty inconsistent. Still, 1-0 Newcastle, Nolan to score in a similar fashion to Bowyer and Newcastle to set up shop in a similar fashion to Birmingham ;)

Just thought I'd drop in and say the OP is nicely done. Poll is amusing too.

I reckon a 2-2 draw, with Carroll grabbing the equaliser in the last minutes.

wouldnt mind this being called off tbh as Chelsea have quite a few injuries going into this game

i think the 6 people + me said snowed off just for the Lol's XD

I'd love for Newcastle to pull off a win against the Blues, solely because if Manchester United beat Blackburn, we can go top and so long as Arsenal have another bad day.

But I cannot put it past Chelsea to not win this game. They will be raring to go and maintain a grip on the pole position after resting some players from their mid-week clash vs. MSK Zilina and it is quite possible that the will come off with a solid win.

Not to mention the fact that Newcastle's heavy hammering at the hands of Bolton Wanderers and the suspension of Coloccini will be an added burden, so there will definitely be struggles for the Magpies.

To conclude, 3-0 Chelsea.

wouldnt mind this being called off tbh as Chelsea have quite a few injuries going into this game

Well both our CB's are banned. I think you will be pretty safe.

Hopefully we can nick it and get out of our poor run of form, a win will be more than welcome

Back