Nigeria Banned

Carine

Reaction score
The nigerian president has banned the international side from competing in international competitions for the next two years in order to concentrate on the devlopment of the side.

The decison was brought about after their poor performance at this years World Cup.

wow. talk about taking action, surely they need the games though?

What an idiot. They can't improve by not competing. They need to be playing the best teams in order to improve.

surely you'd just compete but concentrate on performance rather than results, and play the youth you want to bring through

Personally i think England should do the same.

What an idiot. They can't improve by not competing. They need to be playing the best teams in order to improve.

They are banned from international competitions, not friendlies and such.

surely you'd just compete but concentrate on performance rather than results, and play the youth you want to bring through

I know -- it certainly seems a strange decision. Then again, the Nigerian FA is known to struggle financially (with players bonuses and what not) so maybe he just thought sod it, create a team that's worth the money?

Be interesting to see his reasons in full once more indepth reports come out.

Seems a bit drastic!

How will they improve if they don't play, poor Yakubu, Yobo and Martins, end of there internation careers prob, not getting any younger.

Er, hang on, i thought Sepp was having a go at Sarkozy for interfering with the country's football and promising to have a full report into what went wrong... so won't they just be banned completely now anyway? Or is it the president of the Nigerian FA?
Seems a little silly to me, i agree with madsheep when he says they should just play younger players and give them some experience, that's what Slovakia started doing, especially vs Holland, they blooded some youngsters for 5/10/15 minute run-outs...LINK

Just a thought -- France have been threatened with a FIFA suspension over unacceptable political interference in footballing matters. All France have really done is call for enquiries into their own team's lack lustre performance (rightly so, in my eyes too -- the public and government put a lot of money into football and deserve better from their own team.) Nigeria have gone way over the top in comparision so could a two year break (if FIFA stand firm) turn into a much longer suspension?

In that case England should do the same... Italy... France... Ridiculous.

Well 2 years aint going to be the end of it.

Fifa Policy says, Politics must not get involved in Football. so expect this to lst 5 years now.

That's just silly if you ask me. How on earth will they improve if they don't compete? Doesn't make sense! What he should have done was have the manager build a new team of youngsters within 2 years.

The idea is that they can rebuild without the pressure of the tournaments, but Nigeria don't have any tournaments for nearly 2 years anyway, as the African Cup of nations isn't until 2012. They have so much quality, it seems to be more of a case of the players learning to play together than rebuild IMO. Martins should have started instead of Yakubu, who looked poor, and had no impact in any of the games.

dosent the nigerian fa have a say in this ? the president surely dosent decide whether the football team can or cannot play ???????????

dosent the nigerian fa have a say in this ? the president surely dosent decide whether the football team can or cannot play ???????????

Government over-rule the FA, and I am sure the Nigeria FA is a subsidiary of the government. I have a feeling FIFA may step in to ban them further aswell, as they have threatened to kick France out of future tournaments if the Government don't stop interfering.

The idea is that they can rebuild without the pressure of the tournaments, but Nigeria don't have any tournaments for nearly 2 years anyway, as the African Cup of nations isn't until 2012.

The group qualifiers take place during 2010 and 2011 though.