Nine players set to leave Aston Villa.

I thought Reo Coker was their captain...

Warnock should come back here!

They aren't all leaving in the January transfer window by the way. Some of them will be leaving at the end of the season.
I cant see why you dont use Davies he is definetly premier league class, anyway your loss is our gain.

They aren't all leaving in the January transfer window by the way. Some of them will be leaving at the end of the season.

Probably correct . Can't see Villa offloading them all in one transfer window

I cant see why you dont use Davies he is definetly premier league class, anyway your loss is our gain.
I would prefer Davies to play ahead of Dunne, I think Dunne is passed his sell by date and we have 4 better centre halves.

i HONESTLY think Dunne will be at Spurs next season and Sidwell at us. And Ireland at Liverpool

I wouldn't want any of them at Newcastle tbh.

Ireland has been shocking this season, so will be intresting to see where he ends up. Stoke maybe?

I read today on the BBC that Friedel could be staying at Villa for another season if he says he wants to after Febuary. Although he is nearly 40. They said they will be looking to bring in a keeper 'for the future', but if Brad stays, he would be staying as number 1.

I'm assuming Habib Beye is the 9th. Don't have a problem with any of those players leaving aside from NRC, i think he still has a job to do at the club. I don't think we should allow Curtis Davies' ability in FM cloud our judgement, playing next to Laursen he looked like he had the potential to go places but he hasn't looked like re-discovering that form since.

How MON got away with Beye and Sidwell sitting on the bench on £40k+ a week for so long I'll never know, get rid asap.

Ireland doesn't look like he gives a ****, not the kind of player I want to see in a VIlla shirt.

Dunne has been dreadful this season, but getting rid of both Davies & Dunne could be risky without bringing in any replacements. Same with Warnock, probably our worst player this season, but what cover do we have? Luke Young out of position, or Lowry (who I believe is more of a CB).

as much as I hate to see Carew go I'd put both Fonz & Weimann above him in the pecking order now, at least they try.

And I'd agree we could do with getting a new keeper in, Friedel is getting old and looking accident-prone, and Guzan doesn't look up to the job.

EDIT: for those asking why we don't play Davies, he's apparently one game away from activating a clause in his contract that would give him an extension/pay increase or something along those lines.

Last edited:
I wish they would give Ireland more time, as I always rated him at City. He has been played out of position on a few occasions as well, which doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I'm assuming Habib Beye is the 9th. Don't have a problem with any of those players leaving aside from NRC, i think he still has a job to do at the club. I don't think we should allow Curtis Davies' ability in FM cloud our judgement, playing next to Laursen he looked like he had the potential to go places but he hasn't looked like re-discovering that form since.

How MON got away with Beye and Sidwell sitting on the bench on £40k+ a week for so long I'll never know, get rid asap.

Ireland doesn't look like he gives a ****, not the kind of player I want to see in a VIlla shirt.

Dunne has been dreadful this season, but getting rid of both Davies & Dunne could be risky without bringing in any replacements. Same with Warnock, probably our worst player this season, but what cover do we have? Luke Young out of position, or Lowry (who I believe is more of a CB).

as much as I hate to see Carew go I'd put both Fonz & Weimann above him in the pecking order now, at least they try.

And I'd agree we could do with getting a new keeper in, Friedel is getting old and looking accident-prone, and Guzan doesn't look up to the job.

Agree with the majority of what you said, however if you don't like a player who doesn't give a ****, surely Carew is top of that list?
Also, Warnock has been a disaster this season, but he was good last season...is he just having a bad season or is he actually bad?

i did mention something about Carew not trying. Warnock wasn't exactly great last season either IMO, especially towards the end of the season, he has some good games but he's a liability.

I'd agree with you about Ireland needing more time, and KMac did play him out of position, but to be honest as far as I can tell he didn't want to come here in the first place and we should probably just get rid, both Ashley Young and Barry Bannan can play in his position anyway.

Last edited:
I genuinely think villa could be for the drop if this is true, they can't attract better players than this and have a small squad as it is

Last edited:
Apart from Coker, think villa are right to offload them over the season, free up wage and funds players, at lot of these guys are on hefty wages, and not really justifying it

Holy mother of all that is made of marmalade...

Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland, John Carew, Curtis Davis, Brad Friedel, Nigel Reo- Coker, Steve Sidwell - talks with West Ham?, Stephen Warnock and 1 more.
Okay. Let's see. The first four should go. Friedel will most likely stay. NRC will stay, hopefully. Sidwell will go. Warnock I'm not sure: he's a quality player, but he's out of form. The "1 more" is probably Habib Beye, as said before.

Heskey will stay. He's in the form of his life, and in Albrighton he has the best "classic winger" in the Prem at the moment to provide him with the ammo he thrives on. Honestly, a clearout would be good. Houllier looks like he's determined enough to do the biz, and I hope he holds firm.

I think people now are just beginning to realise the depth of our young talent that we have. You'll have never heard of some of them, but Delph, Delfouneso and Weimann have glittering careers ahead of them. Bannan and Albrighton are good enough to be first teamers, and Hogg looks like he will be too. Herd is another good young player, and people like Daniel Johnson, Harry Forrester, Nathan Baker, Eric Lichaj and in particular Gary Gardner are all exciting prospects. The future is bright for the Villa, and it's about time we start bringing these lot into first team action.

Villa don't exactly have the biggest squad, it must seriously be ensured that new players are bought in otherwise if an injury crisis hits Villa could truly be up s--t creek.

Completely agreed GodCubed! We have been without a lot of first team players for the majority of the season, and the youngsters have done a great job. It's the more senior players, ie. Warnock and Dunne in particular who have let us down this season.

Holy mother of all that is made of marmalade...

Okay. Let's see. The first four should go. Friedel will most likely stay. NRC will stay, hopefully. Sidwell will go. Warnock I'm not sure: he's a quality player, but he's out of form. The "1 more" is probably Habib Beye, as said before.

Heskey will stay. He's in the form of his life, and in Albrighton he has the best "classic winger" in the Prem at the moment to provide him with the ammo he thrives on. Honestly, a clearout would be good. Houllier looks like he's determined enough to do the biz, and I hope he holds firm.

I think people now are just beginning to realise the depth of our young talent that we have. You'll have never heard of some of them, but Delph, Delfouneso and Weimann have glittering careers ahead of them. Bannan and Albrighton are good enough to be first teamers, and Hogg looks like he will be too. Herd is another good young player, and people like Daniel Johnson, Harry Forrester, Nathan Baker, Eric Lichaj and in particular Gary Gardner are all exciting prospects. The future is bright for the Villa, and it's about time we start bringing these lot into first team action.

I thought you guys were aiming for a top 6 finish or a break to the top 4? Clearly Villas ambitions went down since O'Neill left. or maybe im just wrong.

I genuinely think villa could be for the drop if this is true, they can't attract better players than this and have a small squad as it is

I don't see how getting rid of the afore mentioned players would put us in contention for relegation. Dunne & Warnock have been largely to blame for our current situation IMO, and aside from NRC & Friedel (who won't go until the end of the season) the rest of them wouldn't be anywhere near my first team. If everyone was fit the team I'd be putting out next game would be:

Friedel
Young Cuellar Collins/Clark Warnock
Delph Petrov/NRC
Albrighton Young Downing
Gabby

Warnock is only in there because we don't have a replacement, and I don't think GH isn't stupid enough to get rid of him without bringing someone else in.

I thought you guys were aiming for a top 6 finish or a break to the top 4? Clearly Villas ambitions went down since O'Neill left. or maybe im just wrong.

This was always going to be a season of rebuilding, with Houllier coming in after the transfer window had closed and bringing his own style of play etc.

Villa don't exactly have the biggest squad, it must seriously be ensured that new players are bought in otherwise if an injury crisis hits Villa could truly be up s--t creek.

You mean like we are at the minute? ;)

Houllier's no fool. He looks like he's gearing up for a frankly huge transfer window right now. Top of the list is Makoun and Wheater, but we don't know the rest. We don't even know the budget. I had a little discussion with (a frankly disbelieving :p) mfage over VMs, and I worked out thus:

Well Milner's deal was worth £26 mil including Ireland, who was valued at £8 mil. So that's £18 mil right there, plus I'm allowing for about five or so mil being taken out of the budget for whatever reasons. So around £13 mil, plus whatever budget we had in the first place which I didn't account for. Lerner's no mug, he's not going to take away our entire transfer budget. If you want a more objective opinion, FM reckons it at around £23 mil, so they're guessing at another £10 mil for the budget.

On top of that, we'll get money from Carew (£3 mil if we're lucky) Sidwell (£1.5 maybe) and Ireland (unknown, but we want to sell him at around £8. As I don't know, I'll discount it) so potentially we could end up with a budget of around £25 mil.
And then, of course, we add on whatever we make from this fire-sale. We could end up with a nice kitty for Houllier to splash around.

Completely agreed GodCubed! We have been without a lot of first team players for the majority of the season, and the youngsters have done a great job. It's the more senior players, ie. Warnock and Dunne in particular who have let us down this season.

Agreed. It's time for some of the old guard to move over, and let in future England players like Gardner, Delph and Delfouneso.

CLEARLY nothing. What we're doing is getting rid of bad players, and replacing them with better ones. Don't see how this signifies a lack of ambition?

Friedel
Young Cuellar Collins/Clark Warnock
Delph Petrov/NRC
Albrighton Young Downing
Gabby

That's a very neat little team we have there, come to think of it. I'd completely forgotten about Clark. Just shows the depth of our talent reserves.

This was always going to be a season of rebuilding, with Houllier coming in after the transfer window had closed and bringing his own style of play etc.

Thank you very much! This is what I have been saying for a while, and it's true. I'd be happy with a top 10 finish this year, a year of rebuilding, then we can push on with our youngsters maturing and new players coming in. Houllier's implemented a completely different style of play, a more rigorous training regime and a whole new mentality. It's going to take a while to adjust.

Last edited: