Nine players set to leave Aston Villa.

A big clearout is very risky mid season.
its not like these players are performing, and i doubt they will all go in january

Last edited:
Hmm. I think all these players are going to leave because Houllier read GodCubed's guide on Aston Villa<)

Villa do look like they have a good few promising youngsters, some of whom have really started to shine this season (I'm looking at Albrighton and Clark here though I'm sure GodCubed can list several dozen), but you will need to sign some more players, if nothing else just to beef the squad up, Man Utd have shown over the years that strength in depth is as important as the first team.

Not surprised to see you Villa being linked with a young French player, correct me if I'm wrong Houllier until the summer was in some sort of technical role in the French FA so I'm sure he knows plenty of French players with high potential and has plenty of contacts around France.

Personally I would probably stick with Dunne for now, he's shown over the years that he's a solid defender, probably just a dip in form, he is a good player. Perhaps Samba to Villa if he still wants to leave B'Burn, he could do a good job for you.

As for Heskey, I'm afraid that if Villa sell him I will have to de-friend you GodCubed :p You'd be mad to sell the World's premier non-goalscoring centre-forward.

Villa do look like they have a good few promising youngsters, some of whom have really started to shine this season (I'm looking at Albrighton and Clark here though I'm sure GodCubed can list several dozen), but you will need to sign some more players, if nothing else just to beef the squad up, Man Utd have shown over the years that strength in depth is as important as the first team.

Indeed, we do need to invest. Also, you missed Bannan, you Aston Villa Youngster heathen. :p

Not surprised to see you Villa being linked with a young French player, correct me if I'm wrong Houllier until the summer was in some sort of technical role in the French FA so I'm sure he knows plenty of French players with high potential and has plenty of contacts around France.

First thing that sprung to mind when Fofana and M'Vila were mentioned was Houllier's role at Clairefontaine academy. I'm sure that's why he's chasing Fofana. I suppose it's good, means he can form more cogent opinions on him, and must rate him highly.

Personally I would probably stick with Dunne for now, he's shown over the years that he's a solid defender, probably just a dip in form, he is a good player. Perhaps Samba to Villa if he still wants to leave B'Burn, he could do a good job for you.

I'm ambivalent about Dunne. I'd be happy if he stays, equally happy if he leaves AND we get a good replacement. I'd be willing to stick with him, give him another half-season to prove he has it anyway.

As for Heskey, I'm afraid that if Villa sell him I will have to de-friend you GodCubed :p You'd be mad to sell the World's premier non-goalscoring centre-forward.

Emile Heskey, the man who revolutionised the centre-forward position. :p I will be ****** if we sell Heskey, he's scored a goal around every other game for us this year. Lethal finishing! :D

The only one of these players that deserves to stay in my opinion is Stephen Warnock. He is more than decent and could easily even fit in at a team like Liverpool. I think Richard Dunne, despite his poor form this season, deserves to be given time to prove himself rather than just getting rid of him mid-season.

The only one of these players that deserves to stay in my opinion is Stephen Warnock. He is more than decent and could easily even fit in at a team like Liverpool. I think Richard Dunne, despite his poor form this season, deserves to be given time to prove himself rather than just getting rid of him mid-season.

You've contradicted yourself then. There's two players, not one, who deserve to stay.

Besides, if you think that it shows how much you know. Brad Friedel is one of the most consistent and reliable keepers in the Premiership. Nigel Reo-Coker's developed onto a superb first teamer. Those two, at least, deserve to stay.

Brad Friedel is one of the most consistent and reliable keepers in the Premiership. Nigel Reo-Coker's developed onto a superb first teamer. Those two, at least, deserve to stay.

Friedel is set to turn 40 pretty soon, even Van Der Sar who is definitely better than him is set to call it quits. I would take whatever cash I can get and buy a younger replacement, but thats just me. As for Reo-Coker, what happens to his place when Petrov returns?

Friedel is set to turn 40 pretty soon, even Van Der Sar who is definitely better than him is set to call it quits. I would take whatever cash I can get and buy a younger replacement, but thats just me. As for Reo-Coker, what happens to his place when Petrov returns?

Sure, that's what I'd do too, but it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be there.

NRC's place will be safe when Petrov returns. We play a 4-2-3-1, so why wouldn't it be? He and Petrov were starting week in week out earlier in the season.

how can anyone put down dunne, sure he's been below par this year, but then again so have the rest of the squad. Dunne was cb in the prem team of the year last year and deservedly so. Of the villa starting 11 only albrighton deserves any credit for this season, so selling 9 players ahead of anyone else in the squad is ridiculous. Warnock is tied with Baines as second best english full back and Ireland can be immense as has been seen at city, he just came in during a difficult year.

Fofana looks like a great prospect, would like to see him come along, I don't want to see too many foreign players coming in though, I like the almost patriotism of the Villa squad.

how can anyone put down dunne, sure he's been below par this year, but then again so have the rest of the squad. Dunne was cb in the prem team of the year last year and deservedly so. Of the villa starting 11 only albrighton deserves any credit for this season, so selling 9 players ahead of anyone else in the squad is ridiculous. Warnock is tied with Baines as second best english full back and Ireland can be immense as has been seen at city, he just came in during a difficult year.

Just because he was good last year doesn't mean he's untouchable. No player is better than his place in the squad: no player deserves his place on past form. Dunne's been conspicuously bad this year, looked like his heart isn't in it and looked patently unfit.

"Of the villa starting 11 only albrighton deserves any credit" Seriously? You really haven't been watching Villa play have you? Young, Heskey, Downing, Reo-Coker all deserve credit as well. Selling 9 players is perfectly fine, especially as most of them are dead wood that we don't need anyway.

Warnock is a good English full-back, yes, but if we can get the same from abroad for cheaper why not? I cannot believe you are defending Ireland. He is completely indefensible, in any way past "ooh he had one good season for city, the club he supports and was motivated to play for".

Fofana looks like a great prospect, would like to see him come along, I don't want to see too many foreign players coming in though, I like the almost patriotism of the Villa squad.

Heh, having a squad of UK nationals is fine until you realise how much more those players cost. I'd love to have a squad fully of English players, but it's unrealistic when you consider how much cheaper players of similar standards are from abroad.

Aw naw, Friedels away, I've got a feeling that means Villa will come calling for ******* :'(

There's reasons villa are under performing and these guys have obviously been identfied as the culprits, or at least part of the problem, it may be a way of getting the guys left to buck their ideas up. Bring down the hatchet now and again can be beneficial to a team, though expect a few of them to play their way back into contention.