maxsidious

Reaction score
The Golden Gate Tactics

View attachment 202508View attachment 202509

My tactic in one sentence:

"if you don't concede, you guarantee not to lose already."

My Inspirational Quote from Mourinho:

“Look, we’re not entertaining? I don’t care; we win.”

Flexibility note for CM: you can adjust your 3 CMs as much as you want: but make sure you have 1 BWM, 1 AP (support or attack), and other one (which depends on games and who you are facing with and characters of the players)

Instruction note: I did not do any particular opposition instruction. It is based on game basis more. I used the maximum pitch size.

I'll post my first season result when I finished it. I am having an exam in December, so it might take some time. Still, the 1/3 of the season shall matter in a decent way ^^)

THIS IS THE LINK >>View attachment 202511<<

This is my tactic; I use it in my Tottenham save and it works perfectly.
Here is my tactic screenshots, premier league table, premier league stats, my squad stats, and interesting results.

I did not set any of the playmaker or target man.
But I do set that Van der Vaart takes all corners.

ps. I did not cheat in any of this. How can you cheat "not to concede," right? It takes forever to cheat "zero" score :D

Pros
  1. My team rarely concedes a goal. Right now it is 13 matches (Premier League), we conceded only 3 goals in 2 matches (2-4 against Fulham and 1-3 against Newcastle) and we are in 13-0-0 premier league record (with 18 games winning streak in every competition). Yes, it happens with the defenders like Bassong, Kaboul, Dawson and Walker, my first-team defenders
  2. Not only does it not concede, my team scores every single match.
  3. My team creates, on average, 3-5 clear cut chances during the game and many goal-scoring chances aside from those clear cut chance. Therefore you will see "a lot" of your highlight in the match.
  4. My team has "beautiful through ball" touches, that you might enjoy, especially to create chances.
  5. Result against Big 4:
    1. Arsenal 0-2 Tottenham
    2. Tottenham 2-0 Liverpool
    3. Chelsea 0-1 Tottenham
    4. Tottenham 1-0 ManUtd
Cons
  1. My team does not enjoy an overwhelming possession over the opponent. In some cases, my team does not enjoy even the majority of the possession. If you are savy about possession football, this tactics is not for you.
  2. Not all players will heavily participate in the attacking move since it takes a couple of touches and passes to reach the final third of the pitch. Therefore if you are the people who enjoy a multi-million-pass game or an everyone-need-to-participate policy, this tactics is not for you.
  3. If you face stronger team, or the strongest like Barcelona, R.Madrid, and the like, it might be the case that you got overwhelmed by possession. ***Please rest assure, they might got some shorts, but you are unlikely to give them clear cut chances. Your keeper shall do a good job to save those shots.***
Area for future improvement
  1. Luka Modric does not perform well in my tactics. I try different ways to assign him roles and duties (including advance playmaker -support or attack as my scout suggests); still he doesn't perform well. Therefore I just simply assigned him a modest supporting central midfielder.
  2. You might try to increase possession but my tactics rely on quick and wide play to create chance. It might be a bit counter-productive.
Here is the tactics

View attachment 202508View attachment 202509

Here is the result

View attachment 202507View attachment 202505

Here is the squad stats

View attachment 202510View attachment 202506

Here are the match results (updating as season goes on)

View attachment 202830View attachment 202832View attachment 202829View attachment 202831View attachment 202854View attachment 203524

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your feedback

I hereby disclaim all unfavored result
as a consequences of my humble tactics.

^^) Maxsidious ^^)

Last edited:
Looks interesting. How come wingers are set to cross aim @ 'target man' even though there isn't one set?

Looks interesting. How come wingers are set to cross aim @ 'target man' even though there isn't one set?

It might be the case when I adjust the tactics I turn something on and off accidentally. **But there should be no target man. However, Adebayor is "assigned role" as target man, attacking. The winger generally will "pass to space" to Adebayor to run and score and Adebayor will have an option to score himself or (if he is too far from goalie) to pass to the center for other winger to score.

I'm Ajax, I want to play football but I just got handed the group of death, Milan, Dortmund and Porto ffs. I'm giving this a go if I take the lead tbh.

I'm Ajax, I want to play football but I just got handed the group of death, Milan, Dortmund and Porto ffs. I'm giving this a go if I take the lead tbh.

You can start with this tactics at the start too :D That's what I did. :) but it's up to you.
I suggest you along after you lead, do the shout too. (counter - or defensive or even contain), retain possession, pass to feet, stand off, drop deeper) :)

Looks interesting. Gonna try it in my tottenham save. Especially in situations where where holding to a lead is a must. And yeah, your tactical philosophy and style has impressed me. Pretty mourinho-like heh?

I can't believe the result of playing such deep def line with widest width and quickest tempo will produce such great defensive record.!!! But prove is provided, and i have to say, it's WICKED man..!!!

Will look in depth at ur defensive setup later (in office now) to learn and hopefully understand it.

But ur strategy is control.? U describe it as more to counter attacking style with less possession...

I can't believe the result of playing such deep def line with widest width and quickest tempo will produce such great defensive record.!!! But prove is provided, and i have to say, it's WICKED man..!!!

Will look in depth at ur defensive setup later (in office now) to learn and hopefully understand it.

But ur strategy is control.? U describe it as more to counter attacking style with less possession...

It's not that "less possession" Actually, it's about 50-50 on average; but in some games, it might go like 40-60. (mine is 40)

Tottenham is kinda a mid-big team. So I started all games with "control" strategy :) But it seems that I got certain numbers of goals by counter-attack. Majority, it comes from 3-4 touches and pacey-winger running by normal attack or counter attack. But for counter-attack, it is "easier" to score a goal. (that's the only different)

I think by using "control", when you are attacking, your defense lift up a bit high and your full back runs and some midfield also supports attack a bit more than "standard" or "counter"

When you are out of possession, by using deep defense, your opponent's forward won't have plenty of time in the box and they can't do "through ball" much. Your 3 CMs and 2 AMR, AML (support) will fill the empty gap.

This tactic is very interesting.I suggest u play abit with the individual setting of the players.Cuz i see they are default.Do some settings there and i think this tactic could be perfect.

I shall try this ;D Seems interesting, I had a 4231 tactic that didn't let in many goals in FM 2011 , had 18 games without conceeding with Arsenal ^^ Haven't been able to do the same in FM 2012 though!

This tactic is very interesting.I suggest u play abit with the individual setting of the players.Cuz i see they are default.Do some settings there and i think this tactic could be perfect.

Really? I thought I adjust the individual defenders a lot. But for mid and forward, I feel like, the role and assigned duty are enough. I don't like holding ball, or play-making strategy T___T or give some players more freedom than assigned :(

but definitely, I'll look into that. :) Thank you

I played this formation in FM 08 and had fantastic success, been trying ever since to emulate it. I'll try this with Middlesbrough.

One question . All the experts say that offside should never be played with a stopper/cover and never with a deep line either. How come yours works so good ?

Last edited:
Pfft.. Screenshot tells me you let in 3 league goals. This isn't what I wanted!

Just tried this just now, and at half time in the first match I was getting dominated possession and shots wise, 1-0 down. I was close to giving up but then boom, 4-1 CCC, 50/50 pos, 12-12 shots and a 3-1 final score to moi :) Thank you so much, this tactic does exactly what it says on the tin! (well, almost :p)

P.S. I play as SKA in Russian 1st Div

Did you use opposition instruction or shouts ?

At the beginning of every match, NO. But as the matches goes on, I did. For example, if it is an easy game score and score is beyond doubt, I do "take a breath, retain possession, stand off and pass to feet" to conserve energy".

if the game is so close, and we are leading, I do counter, (or even contain or defensive) with "play out of defense, pass to feet, retain possession, stand off, and drop deeper"

Pfft.. Screenshot tells me you let in 3 league goals. This isn't what I wanted!

you wanted fewer? You can freely adjusted the 3CM (assigned role and duty to focus on defense), but it will counter your CCC as well :)

I played this formation in FM 08 and had fantastic success, been trying ever since to emulate it. I'll try this with Middlesbrough.

One question . All the experts say that offside should never be played with a stopper/cover and never with a deep line either. How come yours works so good ?

I experimented it on and off, and it does not make any difference. I just feel that with man-marking setting, and you face 1 lone striker of your opponent, Cover-stopper do better. But if you face 2 strikers, they mark it 1 by 1 and offside trap is doing okay. I don't think it makes significant different, to be honest.