Non-League to Legend [FM24]

MrTini23

Premium
Reaction score

Non-League to Legend

After the best part of six months editing the 2013/14 Retro Database for FM24, it is now time for me to take a break from editing and finally play some FM24. After successful spells with Warrington Town, Southport and Wrexham (twice) in FM20, FM21, FM22 and FM23 respectively, I have once again decided to delve into the lower leagues of the English period. For a long time, I have been undecided on which team to manage in FM24 having already played as a lot of my local clubs. I had originally decided to play as Wrexham, however, Youtuber Lollujo has inspired me to try a 'Non-League to Legend' challenge with a local club.

The Rules

Based roughly on Lollujo's Non-League to Legend series.

These are the rules I'll be playing to.

1. Manage in the lowest possible league and the closest possible team to your house.

2. Every decision is based on realism. e.g. if a club comes in for me, would it be viable financially? Would I want to move?

3. Try and use scouting recommendations were possible.

4. Play with attribute masking on.

5. Try and keep staff consistent unless there is an obvious issue.

The Goals

The main goal is to get to the top of world football but I've also set myself a couple of other targets to keep the save fresh and interesting.

Youth Development

One of my main aims is to develop youth as much as I physically can. This doesn't mean I'll have a team of kids but I will use younger players where I can. I also want to have at least 1 youth academy graduate in every matchday squad, much like Sir Alex Ferguson did with Man Utd. I won't be able to do this for the first season.

30 or below

Throughout the save, I want to avoid having any player over the age of 30 unless they are a club legend. I won't be able to achieve this straight away but I want to be achieving it within 2-3 seasons. This is going to be particularly challenging in the lower leagues where you sometimes need experienced players to succeed.

The Challenge Begins

Normally in Non-league to Legend Lollujo will select the nearest team to his house in the lowest tier of the Vanilla version of the game. I did intend to do this but after some research, I found out that the team would be CHESTER. For context, I am a Wrexham fan so that is a big no thanks from me. For that reason, I am going to differ slightly from the way Lollujo does things. Instead of using the Vanilla version of the game, I am going to be using the excellent Level 10 database by DanFMDatabases on FMScout.

North_West_Counties_Football_League_logo.png

That means that the lowest playable league is now the North West Counties League Division One South and as luck would have it, there is a team in that league that play down the road from where I live. That team is Ashville FC.

Fun Fact. In my previous job, I helped to design and create the signage that is at the home ground, The Ray Parker Stadium. Yes, those are my shoes in the picture!

Here we go, the journey to footballing glory begins. How far can we take Ashville? Where will eventually end up in our career? Let's find out.

The Club

Ashville is a semi-professional club in its second season at this level after joining in 2022. Last season, the club finished a respectable 12th in the league. FM lists Ashville as only having 248 followers which is incredibly harsh. They have over 5k overall! Twitter

The Ray Parker can hold over 1,000 people albeit with very limited seating capacity. I think that's very good for this level of football. All the other facilities are as you'd expect for a level 10 club and will be something we look to improve on should we manage to advance up the pyramid.

The Finances

Finances-wise we aren't exactly laden with cash, which is to be expected at this level of football.

We are way under when it comes to the budgets so there is room to improve the squad if needs be. That 1k transfer budget will be going straight into the wage budget.

This is a little worrying. Our projection for the next few seasons suggests we are going to struggle financially. I am assuming that doesn't include prize money for competitions so doing as well as possible is going to be vital.

The Objectives

The board are only looking for us to attempt to avoid relegation and to be competitive in the cup. I think we can do a lot better than that in all honesty.

The supporters are pretty much the same as the board in terms of expectations.

Interestingly, the media are a lot more positive about our chances for the upcoming season. They believe that we have what it takes to win the league with the squad we have, going as far as labeling us the favourites.

The Squad

Here is the squad that we have to start with. I think it's very good for this level and doesn't really need improving all that much. To be honest, I think we could probably look at trimming it to save on the cash. The plan is to see what our solitary scout can find in terms of improvements and go from there.

Non-League to Legend

Career and Achievements

To keep myself even more invested in my career moving forward I have also decided to keep tabs and how I do as my career progresses and I have also set myself a list of 'achievements' that I will be looking to complete throughout my football career. This has been heavily inspired by Lutterworthfox and his FM22 career thread with Leicester where he set his own list of achievements separate to the ones given on Steam by the game itself. - Link

Career so far

LeagueFA CupCarabao CupEFL Trophy/FA TrophyOther TrophiesCommunity ShieldEuropeSuper CupClub World Cup
2023/24 SeasonN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A

Achievements

Competition WinsCompleted? Y/NInfo
Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two
National League
National League North/South
Level 7
Level 8
Level 9
Level 10
FA Cup
Carabao Cup
EFL Trophy
FA Trophy
FA Vase
Other Cups
Community Shield
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Europa League
UEFA Conference League
UEFA Super Cup
FIFA Club World Cup

Season AwardsCompleted? Y/NInfo
Top League Scorer
Top League Assists
Most Clean Sheets
Highest Average Rating
Player of the Season
Young Player of the Season
Ballon d'Or
European Goldenboy
Yashin Trophy
GOAL50
NXGN
Manager of the Year

*Club Records to be applied after 5 seasons if still at Ashville
Club RecordsCompleted? Y/NInfo
Most Points in a Season
Most League Wins in a season
Fewest League Defeats in a Season
Fewest League Draws in a Season
Most League Goals Scored in a Season
Highest Attendance
Biggest Win
Highest Scoring Match
Highest Transfer Fee Paid
Highest Transfer Fee Received
Most Appearances
Most League Goals
Most League Goals in a Season
Youngest Player
Fastest Goal
Most Goals by a Player in a Match
Youngest Goalscorer
Most Matches Won in a Row
Most Matches Without Losing
Most Matches without Conceding

Premier League RecordsCompleted? Y/NInfo
Most Times Won
Most Points in a Season
Most League Wins in a Season
Fewest League Defeats in a Season
Fewest League Draws in a Season
Highest Attendance
Biggest Win
Highest Scoring Match
Most Matches Won in a Row
Most Matches Without Losing
Most Matches without Conceding
Most Team Goals
Most Goals in a Season by a Player
Most Goals by a Player in a Match
Youngest Player
Fastest Goal
Youngest Goalscorer

Personal AchievementsCompleted? Y/NInfo
1000 games
750 wins
2000 goals scored
Ground in my Name
Club Favoured Personel
Club Icon
Club Legend
#1 in English Hall of Fame
#1 in European Hall of Fame
#1 in World Hall of Fame
Continental Pro Licence
Continental A Licence
Continental B Licence
Continental C Licence
National A Licence

Club AchievementsCompleted? Y/NInfo
10 League Titles
20 Cup Wins
10 Manager of the Year
20 Manager of the Months
20 Wins in a Row
50 Games Unbeaten
10 Games Without Conceding
Win Domestic Double
Win Domestic Treble
Win Domestic and European Treble
Win Every Trophy Entered
Win 3 Consecutive League Titles
Unbeaten League Season
Number One Team in Europe

Current Total - 0/100

Non-League to Legend [FM24]

Pre-Season 2023/24

With our squad already filled for the 23/24 season, I wasn't expecting too much movement on the transfer front, especially given our financial situation. I'm really hoping the financial projections are wrong.

Transfers Out

We only had two departures as we released two players who were unlikely to feature. Neither of them had a permanent deal in place anyway so I was happy to let them go. No point keeping them around if they aren't going to play.

Transfers In

We brought in a fair few players on trial but what I was finding was that when we put a bid in on players, higher league teams would come in and steal them away at the last minute.

Our first signing was Joe Cooney. A right-back primarily who can also provide valuable cover in the center-back positions.

The other was Jamie Timlin, who came in to bolster our options going forward. I think Jamie can be a real key player for us this season as we look to finish in a decent league position.

Pre-season Results

A perfect pre-season for us as we won every game we played. I think we are more than ready for the season ahead and I think we can do great things. I was a little disappointed with the 4-3 game due to our poor defensive performance but I'm hoping that was just a one-off.

Non-League to Legend - FM24

August 2023

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 1

We may have left it a bit later than I would have liked but a perfect way to start the new season. It gives us something to build on and it shows that we can definitely compete in this league.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 2

What an incredible performance! We put six past Winsford and probably could have scored more on another day had we been more clinical. That would be my only criticism of the lads but when you are scoring six, who cares if you miss a few chances.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 3

Another quality performance, we look hot in front of goal right now, and long may it continue. Abbey Hey never really had an answer to our attacking style and it was one-way traffic.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 4

An easy win, we didn't need to get out of first gear. I'm a little disappointed that we conceded late on but the 3 points is the most important thing. If we can win without getting out of first gear then that bodes well for the rest of the season ahead.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

That's a great start, don't think I've ever managed that low before, I'm guessing all the attributes are single figures

That's a great start, don't think I've ever managed that low before, I'm guessing all the attributes are single figures

There may be one 10 across the entire squad somewhere 😂

Last edited:

September 2023

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 5

A very good away win against a good side, I'm really pleased with the performance, especially up top. The only criticism I have is that we allowed them too many shots at goal.

First Division Cup 1st Round

The game was over after 23 minutes or so I thought. We were awful and conceded twice to set up a nervy last 15 minutes. Thankfully, we were able to hold on and take the win to progress to the next round.

News

Ashville to host Daisy Hill in the First Division Cup 2nd Round

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 6

Again, not the best defensively but when we are scoring like we are, it doesn't really matter too much. Another valuable three points to keep us up at the top of the table.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

October 2023

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 7

Another solid performance from the lads. We took control of the game early and held onto the lead despite some Stockport pressure. James Dineley deserves praise for a couple of fine saves to keep the clean sheet intact.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 8

A disappointing result as we dropped points for the first time this season. However, with 5 minutes to go, it looked like we were heading for defeat so I'm happy to come away with a point.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 9

A good way to bounce back after dropping points last time out. Two goals and a clean sheet. The XG does suggest we should have scored more so you could argue that we can do better but I'm happy to get back to winning ways.

First Division Cup 2nd Round

Delighted with this result. It was a real battle and Daisy Hill gave us a great game against our heavily rotated side. Luckily, we were able to score late to pick up the win and progress to the next round.

News

Ashville to host Nelson in the First Division Cup 3rd Round

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 10

It was a slow game to start with but we picked up the pace in the second half and ran riot, scoring five goals. Granted, two of them were in stoppage time as Maine Road chased the game but you have to take what you can get.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

November 2023

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 11

Not really a lot that needs saying about this one. We were better than them and it showed on the scoreline.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 12

A really poor performance means we suffer our first loss of the season. I'm hoping it was just an off day but we didn't look on the pace at all, letting Alsager in far too many times, especially down Liam Buckley's side.

News

Stephen Lewis joins Rugby Borough on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 13

An even game as the two sides cancelled each other out. I had to read them the riot act at half time as we just didn't look up for it and the lads managed to respond in the second half to equalise and grab a point.

First Division Cup 3rd Round

We may have only scored one but this was a pretty routine win and we never looked in any danger. Looking at the XG, we should have scored more and can actually be a little disappointed that it was only 1-0.

News

Ashville to host Stockport Town in the First Division Cup Quarter Final

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

December 2023

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 14

Not happy with how we played at the back but the main thing is that we managed to get the win and all three points. It's lucky we are so good going forward at the moment and are able to convert what would be losses to wins.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 15

JAMIE TIMLIN! This was a battle and it looked like it was going to end all square until Jamie popped up to score a winner with the last kick of the game. I think we just about deserved it on the balance of play but Droylsden will feel hard done by.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 16

That's more like it. The sending off of Josh Waite made the game harder than it needed to be but the lads did brilliantly to dig deep and pick up the victory.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 17

GET IN! Great to get a win against our local rivals from down the road. Again it was poor defensively but we were able to comeback to win thanks to Zack Walker's brace.

News

Ashville to host Nelson in the First Division Cup 3rd Round

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

awesome job buddy
may i ask what tactic are you using?

January 2024

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 18

Not good enough. Our defence was a shambles and we were lucky to escape with a point after a last-minute Josh Stansfield equaliser. It could be time to make some tactical tweaks if results like this continue.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 19

Better, 100 times better. We dominated the same, scored 5, and kept a rare clean sheet. Why can't every game be like this? It certainly helps with the night shift tiredness when it's this easy.

News

The board have agreed to send me on a course to get my Continental C License. Happy days.

Lucas Berry joins Campion on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 20

Good grief, what a game. Not a good game for those of a nervous disposition that's for sure. A great game for a neutral or a football fan who loves seeing goals. In a crazy 10-minute spell either side of half-time there were six goals! Incredible.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 21

A good win against Market Drayton and a much better defensive performance. The scoreline looks a little close but we were never in any danger after goals either side of half time gave us a 2-0 lead.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

February 2024

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 22

Did we leave all our footballing talent back on the Wirral? What was that!? We were awful, the worst we've been this season by a country mile. Out-played, out-fought, out-battled.

First Division Cup Quarter Final

Just the result we needed after the shambles last time out. We were much better, not that it could have got any worse mind you. A good win to take us into the semi-final of the First Division Cup.

News

Ashville to travel to Holker OB in the First Division Cup Semi-Final

Ethan Hilton joins Darwen on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 23

A solid win away from home. Brian Barton pulling one back gave us a brief scare but we were able to add a third on the break as they chased the game to settle the nerves.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 24

I'm getting sick of this now. Defensively woeful yet again but luckily our front 4 are on another level when it comes to this league. Got us out of jail there for sure.

News

Foley Nken joins Ryton & Crawcrook Albion on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 25

Pinch me! We actually kept a CLEAN SHEET! It's a miracle. In fairness, Stockport didn't really offer much and we didn't really get out of first gear. Took us a while to break the deadlock but once we did, that was that.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

March 2024

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 26

A great win and performance from the lads. To limit them to no shots on target is a great achievement. They sat back a lot so I'm delighted with how patient we were as we searched for a breakthrough. As soon as we got the goal it was game over.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 27

This was a battle but we did what we needed to do in the end. A point in our next league game and I believe that may confirm us as champions as well.

First Division Cup Semi Final

No! No! No! For once our strikers couldn't bail us out when our defence let us down and we crashed out of the cup. On another day, we could have won which is the worst part about this result. So annoying.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 28

With the title on the line, we put in a horrible performance. Granted it's not going to make a difference but it would have been nice to seal the title in front of our fans.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 29

A much better performance from the lads and a good win.

A win that confirms us as CHAMPIONS and means we are PROMOTED!

News

Engwau Oduka joins on a free transfer.

Tom Armitage joins on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 30

It took some harsh words at half-time and a late flurry of goals but we eventually got the win and the 3 points.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

April 2024

News

Huw Emery joins Corby Town on a free transfer.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 31

A great result against playoff-bound New Mills. We battled hard and did well to restrict them to just one shot on target, even if they did manage to score it.

News

Joe Smyth-Ferguson and Kian Makepeace join on free transfers.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 32

A very good win away at Stockport Georgians. it was great to see Kian Makepeace grab a goal on his Ashville debut, he was superb and showed exactly why we brought him in.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 33

A superb Jamie Timlin hat-trick gave us a 4-2 win at Barton.

News

A bit of good news ahead of the last game of the season, the board has offered me a new deal until the end of next season. Absolute no-brainer, see you next season.

North West Counties League Division One South Matchday 34

A win in the local derby to end what has been a superb season. It's a shame that we couldn't do the double but I'll happily take a league championship and promotion any day.

League Table

Stats

Treatment Room

Manager Performance

2023/24 Season Review

Team Competitions

The Results

League Table

Transfers In

Transfers Out

The Squad