Norway: Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

Joss

Reaction score
A large explosion has hit near government headquarters in the Norwegian capital Oslo.

The blast is thought to have caused damage to the offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and a number of other official buildings.

Initial reports suggested Mr Stoltenberg was unharmed.

At least eight people were injured in the city centre explosion, local media reports. No-one has said they were behind the attack.

Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was around some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was in street.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said the NRK newspaper.

Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, said his offices were close to the blast.

"There was a massive explosion which could be heard over the capital Oslo."

Mr Mjarum said there were fires burning in the 17-storey prime minister's building.

Eyewitness Ole Tommy Pedersen said he was standing at a bus stop about 100m away from the blast.

"I saw three or four injured people being carried out of the building a few minutes later," Mr Pedersen told AP.

He said there was a cloud of smoke billowing from the lower floors.

An NRK journalist, Ingunn Andersen, said the headquarters of tabloid newspaper VG had also been damaged.

"I see that some windows of the VG building and the government headquarters have been broken. Some people covered with blood are lying in the street," Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.

"It's complete chaos here. The windows are blown out in all the buildings close by."

BBC News - Norway: Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

Horrible... Early signs apparently not looking promising.

Last edited:
At least eight injured and the PM is not one of them, according to NTB.

That´s just horrible, the street looks like a warzone.

Mark my words this has the Colonel's fingerprints all over it. Qadaffi has promised to attack at the heart of a European country, hopefully NATO gets the mandate to just assassinate him after this. Qadaffi is my bet anyway.

Mark my words this has the Colonel's fingerprints all over it. Qadaffi has promised to attack at the heart of a European country, hopefully NATO gets the mandate to just assassinate him after this. Qadaffi is my bet anyway.

Not even confirmed as terrorism, lets not jump to conclusions. And surely even Gadaffi isn't this stupid.

EDIT: Then again, he did say he would rather die than leave Libya, and he I suppose he could take the attitude that if he's going down, he's taking us with him sort of thing.

Meh, all speculation.

Last edited:
No way in **** is it a gas explosion, Norway doesn't have gas mains pipes they use canisters. If the bomber is confirmed as a casualty then it will be islamic Jihadists but if the bomber remotely controlled the bome its 100pct Qadaffi. The explosion was more than likely to be symbolic of 'we can strike at the heart of your government' rather than meant to cause mass deaths, the bomb set off a few metres down from a commercial pathway with hundreds of people on it.

Seems it was a car-bomb. Police statement mentions there are "deaths and injuries".

PM is safe - confirmed.

Now a man disguised as a policeman has opened fire at a young persons labour supporter camp-4 people shot and killed, shooting still ongoing. To me that spells co-ordinated terror attacks

Last edited:
I think it's because of the prices of alcohol in Norway. A 0.5l bottle of beer costs €5 and a liter bottle of vodka costs €30. THIRTY. People from the eastern EU (Poland, Lithuania etc) use this to their advantage and sell alcohol for MUCH cheaper. I'm telling you, an angry alcohol salesman blew the place up...

Sky news think it has something to do with the Taliban. The two places are linked in that they are both government orientated. Norway are in Afghanistan and have been asked to get out.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

A man has been arrested on Utoya Island.

I have a feeling this is more politically motivated than Taliban orchestrated. And it's similar in type to the bomb attack that was done in revenge for the Waco seige, in that the bomb was fertiliser based. The organisation was pretty much very small in scale. However snall though, caused the maximum in shock.

I think it's because of the prices of alcohol in Norway. A 0.5l bottle of beer costs €5 and a liter bottle of vodka costs €30. THIRTY. People from the eastern EU (Poland, Lithuania etc) use this to their advantage and sell alcohol for MUCH cheaper. I'm telling you, an angry alcohol salesman blew the place up...

For god sake, 0.5l of beer cost 0.3 euros here, and vodka is 7 euros. Bosnia rullz!!!

NATO ? Really ? After what they did to Libya ? They killed more innocent people than Gadaffi. **** NATO.
OT:
Im feeling sorry for Norway and their citizens, this is unnecessary and stupid thing to do. I hope something like this never happens again.

I agree with Ajt - doesn't seem to be AL-Qaeda/Taliban related. I think it could be a national thing - hence the shooting and attacking the PM.

The gunman was nordic, he was recruited by Islamic Jihad, they are getting more sophisticated groups and have white people integrated into cells who are motivated for whatever reason to oppose the government. Think this right wing nut was used by the jihadists to take advantage of post bomb confusion and carry out this sickening 2nd wave. And Van, NATO have hit, by mistake, 3 civilian targets out of the 500 plus they have hit. That's not bad, I'm pretty **** sure Qadaffi has killed far, far more baring in mind 80pct of the 'rebels' are essentially civilians. Anyway an unheard of new Islamic Jihad group has claimed responsibility citing Afghan/Republishing Mohammed picture. 2nd attack just sickens me, all they did is recruit in essence a 'high school spree' style shooter who obviously was disturbed enough to carry out the 2nd wave.