Nosebleed Football [4-2-3-1] Jurgen Klopp's Gegenpressing :: by ARTISAN :: 14.3.1

Artisan

Reaction score
Nosebleed Football[4-2-3-1] Jurgen Klopp's Gegenpressing :: by ARTISAN :: 14.3.1v2

What Next
Will be working on improving my Antonio Conte tactic for 14.3 and then will decide on what my next tactical recreation would be.

There is a new tweak for you to try out. Hopefully it is better for you. It is also a different approach

DISCLAIMER !!
First off, apologies for this taking so long to be uploaded. It was a combination of university work, my girlfriend and other things taking my time. So many messages asking about it. Sorwy it took so long :) :wub:

Second, it really is up to you whether or not you read the entire post but it must be said however that is definitely in your best interest to read the whole thing as you will have a better understanding of the tactic and be able to judge situations in-game much better !

This is not an exploit tactic and you will still need the right players with the right attributes to succeed. You don't need Messi or Ronaldo, but strive to come as close as possible to my recommendations for the best results.This is a tactic based on Jurgen Klopp's Gegenpressing football style. A style based on Dortmund and with similarities to how Barcelona and Atletico Madrid play. The common theme in those teams is that they have quality players. Test results have shown this is not the best formation for really weak teams so don't moan if you don't win the league, FA Cup and League Cup with Crystal Palace :p.

We all voted and all had the chance to vote for a tactic for underdog teams and we chose Gegenpressing so here you go :D
Pace/Acceleration for attacking players is important in this tactic.

Please read the question and answers section as your question may have already been answered.

Please read the tips section for extra help :D
WALL OF ACHIEVEMENTS

A big thank you to everyone who has taken time out to post screenshots of their results with the tactic. Even those who have not found success. :wub:

View attachment 565923View attachment 565458View attachment 390524View attachment 390523View attachment 565470View attachment 565472View attachment 565473View attachment 565475View attachment 565477View attachment 565480View attachment 565483View attachment 565486View attachment 565487View attachment 565488View attachment 565491View attachment 565518View attachment 565924View attachment 565927View attachment 565928View attachment 389711View attachment 567507View attachment 567509View attachment 567510View attachment 567513View attachment 567515View attachment 567517View attachment 567518View attachment 567564View attachment 567565View attachment 567570View attachment 567572
View attachment 391176

INTRODUCTION
Hello again football manager fans! its Artisan again and I am here to present another one of my tactical recreations for FM14. As you all might know, I am a massive fan of tactics that hope to emulate real life setups and that is what I strive to achieve whenever I play the game.

My last two posts were based on Antonio Conte's Successful setup and Brazil's samba football which attracted quite a lot of attention. But if you miss
ed any of them here they are:

Now lets move on to the tactic on hand. There was an overwhelming demand for high pressure attacking football and no team apart from Athletico Madrid (arguably) does it better than Borussia Dortmund. Before I go into too much, here are some screenshots of some test results below:
TEST RESULTS
There were so many tests and so many results as tweaks were made to the tactic and I cannot include them all. I however want to thank my testers Lupefiasco, JoshPFeehily, Capt Gunner, Qwerty111, Manuol and SuperstarPoacher for helping with this tactic especially Capt Gunner and Lupefiasco who were involved in every stage of testing. They are legends and their testing was paramount to completing this tactic. I also want to thank ManUtd7182 as he was the first person who I discussed ideas about the tactic with and helped get me started.

No signings were made in any of these tests. Setpiece tactics were not a focus and were largely left as default. if you have better, then please edit them in. There are also lots of people who have worked on this aspect of the game.
For some reason, some full match results were not available after tests were done and files sent to me so can't upload too many results.

TOTTENHAM TEST
This was one of the more exciting testing results that were obtained. Tottenham's players were almost a perfect fit for the tactics with Cristian Eriksen playing like incredible hulk on steroids just wrecking teams. He won european golden boy and was in the team of the year. At one point, we thought the game was glitching out with how many goals we scored.
In this test, as expected, united were rather dominant in a lot of games and were very secure defensively as well as scoring a lot of goals. I believe that Manchester United is a really top team and it is not hard to make them succeed but it can be difficult to make them succeed playing the Gegenpressing way which I think I have achieved.
Being able to press the ball high up the pitch is something that has been around for quite a while but more recently popularised by Barcelona under Pep Guardiola. They would dominate teams with possession and when they lost the ball would quickly press the opposition, win the ball back and recycle possession.

Jurgen Klopp had a similar idea but also realised that he did not have players as technically gifted as Barcelona that could pass the opposition into oblivion. This made him adapt the Guardiola style in a way to suit his team.

Instead of winning the ball back and then recycling possession like Barcelona did, he would win the ball back and launch quick attacks utilising more pace and penetration from his players. This is arguably more effective than Guardiola's philosophy as it prevents the opposition from setting up too defensively when retaining possession.

Nosebleed football is a reference to the fact that a team would press the opposition so high up the field that they get nosebleeds.
TACTICAL ADAPTATION IN FOOTBALL MANAGER ENGINE
As I mentioned in my previous posts, being able to completely recreate a real life tactic in FM is almost impossible, so don't hassle me if your players don't always press the opposition players into submission and score goals of the season every game
tongue.gif

This tactic will come as close as possible to the Klopp's gegenpressing football whilst also remaining stable.
My tactical Setups in FM are shown below:::::

There are actually three different tactics but just two tactical setups as shown in the screenshots. There's the Green, Amber and Red tactics with the
green being the most offensive and the Red being the most defensive.

Green and Amber have similar team instructions but vary in individual instruction settings. Both the tactics play a higher defensive line to squeeze the opposition midfield and as would be expected, hassle opposition and play at a higher tempo to launch quick attacks.

The green formation allows the wing backs to be more involved in offensive phase but in amber they are more conservative.

HOW THE FORMATION PLAYS
As you would have expected, this formation looks to win the ball high up the pitch and launch quick attacks primarily down the flanks. Ideally I would have wanted the wingers to cut in from wide positions but that option is not available for defensive wingers.

The clip below shows how relentless the team can be at times when it comes to pressing a team into submission;

[video=youtube;mfl7MbDCXDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfl7MbDCXDk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The opposition initially loose the ball to Paulinho (DLP) who quickly passes the ball forward to launch an attack but the attack does not play out and my team looses the ball. The opposition then try to build from the back again by passing back to the goalkeeper but due to my pressing throughout the game, the goalkeeper just clears the ball forward and it is intercepted by Lennon and delivered to Soldado who looses out to Medel once again. At this point, the pressure up top is too much and Medel gifts the ball to Lennon again who feeds Eriksen with a quality ball before an exquisite finish

PLAYER ROLES
The Complete Wing Backs as you would expect will have to be both defensively and offensively adept. They will bomb forward and deliver killer crosses into the box. They will be heavily involved in the offensive phase of play and will often find themselves with goal scoring opportunities.

The Ball Playing Defenders will mainly be defending against long balls over the top due to forward players preventing opposition defenders from passing the ball out. Inevitably however, teams will still sometimes pass the ball out of defence and the defenders will need to have the intelligence of whether to press forward or sit back. They will largely remain in the defensive phase and will hardly venture forward and will play the ball short to more advanced players.

The Deep Lying Midfielder is the main link between the defence and midfield. He is a stereotypical DLP in that he will sit behind the ball at all times and look to dictate play in deeper areas of the pitch. He will however be more aggressive in winning the ball back and will close down more and tackle harder than a typical DLP. He will usually start offensive plays when the team is building play from the back.

The Ball Winning Midfielder needs to be the complete type of player in that he is highly involved in both offensive and defensive phases of play similar to the wing backs. He is your dog in midfield and will win the ball high up the pitch and then get involved in the proceeding attack. He will also deliver quality balls to wide players who will be in space.

The clip below shows how the formation attacks with the ball when building from deeper positions:

[video=youtube_share;D4L36j-v6tA]http://youtu.be/D4L36j-v6tA[/video]

The Advanced Playmaker basically does what the DLP does but in a more advanced position. He will look to stay in the hole between the opposition midfield and defence. He is the main link between the front three and the midfield. He will receive the ball to feet before either driving at the opposition or delivering killer passes to more advanced players. He will also stick to opposition defensive midfielders in order to keep pressure high up the pitch. He will also press opposition defenders.

The GEGEN TRIO: I decided to put these three players into one group as they all work together in one fluid unit both when with the ball and without the ball. The wide players are defensive wingers and the striker is a defensive forward. I am sure you are beginning to get the gist of things with these three
;). Some of you might be thinking, "they are all defensive, they will not attack" and you cannot be more wrong. These three players are setup to press the opposition defenders into submission and prevent them from playing out.

Without the ball,
the wide players will press the opposition fullbacks and wing backs while the striker presses the centre backs. With the ball, the wingers will drive at opposition players before delivering deep crosses which are usually met by either the strikers or the opposite wingers. Because of this, heading ability is useful. Because wide players swap position, don't worry about playing a left footed player on the left and vice versa.

The clip below illustrates how effective the Gegenpressing can be. From a match in a Newcastle team I briefly managed.

[video=youtube_share;FkV9ahHG5z0]http://youtu.be/FkV9ahHG5z0[/video]

Before the goal, my team had already been pressing the life out of Tottenham for most parts of the game and had already missed a few chances. Notice in the clip that Sandro is being pressed and only has two options:Clear the ball forward or play it back to the defence. He chooses the latter and passes back to Dawson who when he receives the ball has no options in front of him due to the defensive wingers closing off his channels. He then gets pressed by De Jong who wins the ball and scores an audacious lobIf you can get players that are adept at performing these roles, then your team will be massively successful.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS
Never have opposition instructions been so important in a tactical setup. They are paramount to the success of this tactic. Instead of having you guys apply these instructions every game, I have saved them into the tactics so you don't have to worry about editing them.
For the curious ones out there though here are the instructions;

DR/L, WBR/L:
Close down (Always), Tackling (Easy)

DC/DCR/DCL:
Close down (Always), Tackling (Easy), Tight Marking (Never)

AMC:
Tackling (Hard)

STC/R/L:
Tight Marking (Always) All other instructions should be left as default.

DO NOT LEAVE TO ASSISTANT MANAGER!!!!!

TRAINING
In my magic rectangle post I did not focus too much on training and a lot of you would constantly ask questions so I have included my training setup for you to use.

Preseason Training
General Training is kept on balanced with very high intensity and match preparation is kept on the highest level for tactics only. No specific match training for individual matches.

View attachment 391164

During the Season
This settings should be used about three days before the first competitive game of the season. General Training is kept on balanced with very high intensity and match preparation is kept on the second lowest level. The Main focus for match preparation is not very important as you will gear it directly towards the opposition.
So for matches where you are the favourites or stronger team, you use
attacking movement and when you are the weaker team defensive positioning.
You can see this in effect on the screenshot where against Everton I went defensive and the weaker teams attacking.
View attachment 391163

Individual Training
Train players for the specific role you expect them to fill on an average level of intensity as shown in the screenshot below;​
View attachment 391162

You should also train your wide players (wingers and fullbacks) to "look for pass rather than shot" if they have really poor finishing (below 11). This prevents them from taken ridiculous shots from tight angles.​

WHEN TO PLAY FORMATIONS
These are just my simple tips on when to use the tactics and should only be used as a guideline. There are situations where you are regarded as a favourite against a really top team (Man City) because they are on a poor run and you might be tempted to go green. You will have to use your own judgement in this situation. This is just one example in a sea of examples.

HOME GAMES
Strong Favourite - Green

Favourite - GreenEvens - Amber

Underdog - Amber/Red

AWAY GAMES
Strong Favourite - Green

Favourite - AmberEvens - Amber

Underdog - Amber/Red

PLAYER PREFERRED MOVES
I did not pay much attention to player preferred moves but there are a few things that would help. Untrain any player who has "Shoots from distance" as a PPM. This has to be the most useless PPM in the game and all that happens is the player wasting countless opportunities to pass just so that he can score 2 magical goals all season.

As mentioned previously, wide players with poor finishing (less than 11) should be trained to "Look for pass rather shot"
RECOMMENDED PLAYER ATTRIBUTES
Instead of writing down every single attribute, I have uploaded screenshots of the preferred attributes for the roles. It is very beneficial for every player on the team to have decent acceleration (13+), Determination (13+), Work Rate (13+) and Stamina (11+). I know this is almost impossible but these recommendations are for the ideal situation

Goal Keeper
View attachment 391154

Wing Backs
View attachment 391151

Ball Playing Defenders
View attachment 391150

Deep Lying playmaker
View attachment 391148

Ball Winning Midfielder
View attachment 391149

Advanced Playmaker
View attachment 391147

Defensive Wingers
View attachment 391146

Defensive Forward
View attachment 391145

Player Filter Download Link
Big thanks to WafflesNWhizz for making these filters and uploading them
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd...ta/filters.rar

EXTRA INFORMATION & TIPS
1. Bogey Formation (4-2-3-1 Narrow, 4-1-2-1-2, 4-3-2-1 tree): These formations usually seem to cause the gegenpressing formation trouble because of the overload of AMCs/central players. Defenders will usually get drawn out of position leaving the strikers in acres of space. The solution is to start with gegen red, select push higher up and change the fullbacks to complete wing backs.

2. Defensive Line:
Gegenpressing works best against teams that like to play from the back. Teams that go direct and use fast strikers can be a problem as they will just loft the ball over your defenders. This is usually a tactic adopted by weaker teams. If you notice this happening, untick the push higher up instruction or just go red and follow instructions in Tip 1. Be careful doing this against stronger teams as by doing this, there will be more space for opposition midfielders which is a danger.

3. Changing Formation In-game:
If you are green and take a two goal or three goal lead, you might want to switch to Amber and then Red after the 75th minute. To hold the lead, you can switch all your players one phase down (Attacking to Support & Support To Defensive), ask your most advanced players to hold up ball and waste time should be selected. Doing this too early in the game is catastrophic.

4. Match Preparation:
Please be more conservative when selecting match preparation for away games.

5. Formation Fluidity:
Load the german league as unplayable along with the league you want to play in and make sure you choose the start data as June to coincide with the start of the German league. This allows you to get an extra month to get your team familiar with the tactic.

6. Team Talks:
There are many threads about team talks so google and this forum are your friends. Team talks are very important so try to understand how they work

7. Improving your Odds:
At the start of every season, you have the chance to select the teams collective bonus for their final placement in all competitions. Setting this to the highest level will keep the morale of your players high.If you are worried about how much you will have to shell out at the end then I have a little tip for you. The lower you transfer budget, the lower the squad payout. So edit your budget to increase wages and reduce transfer budget.

8. Keep Players Happy:
Tip 7 helps with this but also making sure all your players get some first team football is advisable. Use your rotation and backup players in cup games and rest first team players to keep morale high across the board

9. Team Cohesion:
If you sign a lot of players for the first team then tactical fluidity and cohesiveness will suffer. This is something to keep in mind. You can train team cohesion for about a months period after all players have been signed to help with this issue.
V2 TEST RESULTS
Tested with Newcastle United with no signings and the defence was improved. Not a massive change but any improvement is a positive right. Goals scored seemed to reduce though and the team seemed to commit more fouls. Don't know why.
The results I posted were chosen to illustrate how deceitful CCCs in this game can be. I know a lot of people can decide solely on whether or not a tactic is good based on these stats but I think there is more depth to a tactic than that. So many games I played were I only have 1 CCC and win 4 - 0 and others were I have 4 CCCs and loose 2 - 0.

Results After Extra Changes
View attachment 389716View attachment 389715View attachment 389714View attachment 389713

Better defence and better attack. I think I might have cracked it !!!!
Thanks to Plutte and Capt Gunner for helping out

Changes Made
Tight Marking Selected, Defenders changed to Cover instead of Stopper (some individual /opposition instructions as well). Not many more changes can be made whilst also keeping the idea of Gegenpressing unfortunately IMO.

Using the "Much Higher Defensive Line" improves defence in some cases surprisingly enough but fewer goals are scored so I left "Push Higher Up". I have spent a lot of time working on this tactic both in its infancy and also trying to improve/tweak it and quite frankly have reached the limit of my ability when it comes to replicating Dortmund's tactic.

As much as I want this to be 100% plug and play that scores a basketful of goals whilst keeping cleansheets, it is hard to achieve in FM 14, especially when trying to play realistic football.
So no more tweaks from me unfortunately. If any one else in the community wants to tweak the tactic then please go ahead and share. Just keep in mind the philosophy we are trying to adhere to :)

V3 Test
Some more changes to the tactic. Tested with Newcastle. All injuries in the team removed at the start of the game and no signings made

View attachment 385480View attachment 385479View attachment 385478View attachment 385477View attachment 385476View attachment 385475View attachment 385474

There are currently 2 new tactics. GegenPressing and GegenDefensive. Still working on GegenGoalGetter and will update soon. I believe the tactic names are self explanatory. It is saved as GegenV3
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

How important is it for the wide players to swap position? Will it impact the performance of the tactic much if you remove this?
Answer
Allowing the wide players to swap gives more dimension to the attack. Most time wingers have a preferred foot and will tend to run with the ball towards their better side. So a right footed player on the right will naturally run down the flank and a right footed player on the left will naturally cut inside. Allowing your wide players to swap gives both of these dimensions to your attack.
Removing this instruction is not something that has been tested but I don't see it being extremely detrimental.

Can the wingers can be with inverted foot?
Answer
The preferred foot does not really matter because they are constantly swapping position. So yes they can use the wrong foot on either side.

Great results great opening post.What tactic you plan to emulate next?
Answer
Not sure yet. I might make another poll in the future and get a vote for my next recreation. I will make sure that the tactic that wins the vote comes out about 3 weeks max after the voting ends instead of the really long wait that happened previously. So there will be no poll unless i know I have time. I say three weeks to allow for proper testing and so I can also live my regular life (A).

silly question but how can i do Screenshots in game because not sure since never had to do it before :)
Answer
I use a mac and all you do for that is press the cmd+Shift+3 and it sends a screenshot to your desktop.

For PC, I believe you need to press Print Screen. It is a button on your keyboard. You might need to press Fn + Print Screen.Then you just need to use the forum buttons above the reply window to attach an image.

Hope this helpsThis link is also a good read for PC users;How to Take a Screenshot on a PC | Digital Trends

Artisan what about pitch size?
Answer
Did not test outside the Premiere league much so not really sure. i would suggest leaving it as standard. Too large and teams will exploit you defence and too small and opposition will defend easier against you

I get too many players injured. How can I solve that?
yes, i'm facing the same situation. pls help.
Answer
Just change the training from Very High to High or sign better Physios and Coaches

Apologies if somebody's already asked this, but who should we take off if there's a sending off?
Answer

Just go Red and remove the advanced playmaker. That is what I have done until now and its been working ok

Artisan what is your best tactic?
Answer

Hard to say. A lot of people swear by my magic rectangle about how good it is. Lots of people say this one(Gegenpressing is the best they have ever used). Antonio Conte I will be tweaking to improve. So it is between Magic rectangle and Gegen.

You have to try them and decide for yourself.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT
This tactic at the moment is not the best defensively as you would have noticed from the Tottenham test screenshots were quite a few goals were conceded. This is due to the high defensive line and opposition exploiting that space when they get passed my front 4. I am still working on improving this and a V2 will be released soon.My last tactic had a lot of contribution from the FM Base community in the form of tweaks so any input will be welcome.

Last edited:
Can't seem to extract the tactic files, never had this problem before

Finally you uploaded it :O. Do you know how long it took me to convince this guy to finally upload this tactic. Constantly talking about how its not ready. If ever I spoke to a guy with a hard-on for getting involved in every detail its this dude.

Great opening post mate. I'm sure people will enjoy the read and hopefully enjoy the tactic.

Hi Artisan, I am sure it has been worth the wait. Great post, thanks for sharing and a thank you to all the team who tested as well.
Good luck at Uni :) Cheers mate

Finally you uploaded it :O. Do you know how long it took me to convince this guy to finally upload this tactic. Constantly talking about how its not ready. If ever I spoke to a guy with a hard-on for getting involved in every detail its this dude.

Great opening post mate. I'm sure people will enjoy the read and hopefully enjoy the tactic.

Thanks mate. You were a great help

What's the difference between green and amber mate, don't see much

What's the difference between green and amber mate, don't see much
Defensive Line and the wing backs getting more involved in attack, stoppers instead of defenders, etc. Most changes are individual and not team changes

Now I ask probably very silly but is a tactic that you can use most if, for instance, will play man utd or the other great teams? or

Now I ask probably very silly but is a tactic that you can use most if, for instance, will play man utd or the other great teams? or

Not sure what you mean but it works decent teams that have pace in their side an not very weak teams. Please read the OP

Can't wait to test this out. Really appreciate the time you take to create these tactics for everybody, same goes for all the other tactic creators on this site it makes the game much more enjoyable.