Official England v Slovenia/Algeria discussion thread.

Will England Qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
England lacked speed against Algeria; Glen Johnson was being ripped a new one and England looked a lot more dangerous once Wright-Phillips and Defoe came on.

you know if England draw 2-2, and Algeria draw 1-1 with USA, they draw lots to decide who goes through XD

no because i want us to be attacking so the full backs will have to get backwards and forwards lol now i think about it, it doesnt really work but still, replace the 3 with upson and dawson then
we'd get ripped on the counter. you dont need to play 3 up front to be very attacking. and first we need to cover the basics. like keep possession

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

This is how i would line up against slovenia:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

James

Cole
Terry
Dawson
Johnson

Barry
Lampard

Cole
Gerrard
Milner

Rooney

the 3 man mids controls possesion more easily as it creats passing trainles ( the basis of any possession game). more it makes gerrard the focus of the traingle and gets him on the ball as much as possible in attack

cole and milner are equally happy at running the byline and running inside, both intelligent players, joe cole provides that extra flair. gerrard and rooney are on constant link in the right positions, rather than gerrard having to cut all the way in off the flank. rooney can drop deep when he wants and let gerrard bomb on into that space

im going to try and put a possitive swing on this. at least we are unbeaten unlike France, Spain and Germany lol. And just to add, to all the people who are writting what they think the side should be i see alot of people putting Lampard sitting with Barry. I would personly rather play Carrick if your going to have that Lampard can not play deep simple as that. Plus i belive it should be either Lampard or Gerrard and at International level i believe Gerrard would offer more.

Last edited:
im going to try and put a possitive swing on this. at least we are unbeaten unlike France, Spain and Germany lol. And just to add, to all the people who are writting what they think the side should be i see alot of people putting Lampard sitting with Barry. I would personly rather play Carrick if your going to have that Lampard can not play deep simple as that. Plus i belive it should be either Lampard or Gerrard and at International level i believe Gerrard would offer more.
in mine lampard inst sitting as much but moving from deep a la chelsea. but i agree about carrick. you could effectively get him and barry to sit deep in front of the defence and pick people out with their passing

in mine lampard inst sitting as much but moving from deep a la chelsea. but i agree about carrick. you could effectively get him and barry to sit deep in front of the defence and pick people out with their passing

i agree if their is 1 thing carrick and barry are good at its passing and keeping hold off the ball. with lampard he looks to attack at every given opportunity or look for the killer pass and we dont need that at the moment we need more possesion.

one thing we can all agree on. the 4-4-2 should be dead for england

I just posted this on a old poll i made about club vs country but i belive this is a big part why it seems the England team find it hard to bond with each other. At international matches most nations have their flags with nothing on them just plain. And its hard to find an English flag without a team name or badge on them and what this tells me is that people just cant put their club at the back off their mind and just come together like all other big nations seem to do. And i belive this rubs off on the players also you can tell Lampard and Gerrard dislike each other and then that creates sides like this.

Gerrard-Carragher(best bud)-Johnson(teamate)-Rooney(fellow scoucer)-Crouch(ex pool)-James(ex pool)-Warnock(ex pool)-Heskey(ex pool)

Lampard-Terry(best bud)-A.Cole(teamate)-J.Cole(ex Chelsea)-Wright Phillips(ex Chelsea)

Now i know my posts sometimes create much debate and hatred but i just want people to look at it from this point of view and tell me this couldnt be a possibilty???

I will now post some pictures to back up my Flags point of view. it was very hard finding a picture of Brazil fans without their being a half naked girl as the main view point so the one i got wasent great.

Now i just urge people to look at it from my point of view for a second, if you still disagree thats fine let your feelings known please i am intrested.

Rooney has been poor because he has to drop into space. He does that at UTD but he isnt fully fit atm. He needs to stay advanced and get into the box. Gerrard can occupy the hole. Capello cannot see it, though. :(

I was thinking about this last night..

I find it strangely funny that everyone only seems to be against this 4-4-2 when England aren't playing well.
When you qualified comfortably from your qualification group, there was none of this talk of a change in formation. When you held Brazil to a draw there was no talk of it either. I find it peculiar that you're all only against it now that you're not playing well.

Maybe it's not the formation but the actual players?
If it can get you 9 wins out of 10 in qualification, and 2 warm-up game wins despite you playing poorly then surely there can't be anything wrong with the formation. Maybe there is a rift in the dressing room, or players aren't fully fit but Capello is keeping quiet and playing them anyway. But I don't think it's the formation.

It's worked for the past 2 years, so why should it get changed after 2 dismal performances. You haven't been outplayed in either of those games either, you just struggled to create. Maybe it's a case of poor substitutions at the wrong times that are bad, or a bad Starting XI but I don't think it's the formation.

Maybe he needs a change of personnel on the pitch for this decider, like so many have suggested already (including myself), maybe he'll start Joe Cole on Wednesday for some more creativity, and have Lennon on the bench for impact if he is needed.

But I find it hard to believe that the formation is at fault as you've had 2 very successful years with it under Capello.

I was thinking about this last night..

I find it strangely funny that everyone only seems to be against this 4-4-2 when England aren't playing well.
When you qualified comfortably from your qualification group, there was none of this talk of a change in formation. When you held Brazil to a draw there was no talk of it either. I find it peculiar that you're all only against it now that you're not playing well.

Maybe it's not the formation but the actual players?
If it can get you 9 wins out of 10 in qualification, and 2 warm-up game wins despite you playing poorly then surely there can't be anything wrong with the formation. Maybe there is a rift in the dressing room, or players aren't fully fit but Capello is keeping quiet and playing them anyway. But I don't think it's the formation.

It's worked for the past 2 years, so why should it get changed after 2 dismal performances. You haven't been outplayed in either of those games either, you just struggled to create. Maybe it's a case of poor substitutions at the wrong times that are bad, or a bad Starting XI but I don't think it's the formation.

Maybe he needs a change of personnel on the pitch for this decider, like so many have suggested already (including myself), maybe he'll start Joe Cole on Wednesday for some more creativity, and have Lennon on the bench for impact if he is needed.

But I find it hard to believe that the formation is at fault as you've had 2 very successful years with it under Capello.

100% agree with that.

I said to Harry on facebook that the formation isn't at fault, I think it's the players struggling under the pressure, and maybe the fact that Capello has never managed a national team before could be the reason.

But, I don't think it's the formation, although I think that he does need to change the players around, like bring Joe Cole on.

My two shillings are on Upson starting. If that's the case, FOL. Let's hope I'm wrong.

All the ***** coming out in the wash now.

Has anyone read this mornings papers?

They are saying that:

The players all hate Cappello.

Rooney has only a couple of friends, most cant stand him and think his huge ego is out of control.

Cappello thinks Rooneys injury problems are in is head.

Senior players are demanding Joe Cole plays.

Baldini furious with the FA over his contract.

Cappello ready to quit after the World Cup.

Whether you believe it or not it certainly makes interesting reading. If Cappello didnt realise how vicious the English Fan's, media and press can be he's certainly finding out now and i personally think he will quit because of it.

All the ***** coming out in the wash now.

Has anyone read this mornings papers?

They are saying that:

The players all hate Cappello.

Rooney has only a couple of friends, most cant stand him and think his huge ego is out of control.

Cappello thinks Rooneys injury problems are in is head.

Senior players are demanding Joe Cole plays.

Baldini furious with the FA over his contract.

Cappello ready to quit after the World Cup.

Whether you believe it or not it certainly makes interesting reading. If Cappello didnt realise how vicious the English Fan's, media and press can be he's certainly finding out now and i personally think he will quit because of it.

Doubt that.

I've heard that he'll quit if they don't get out of the groups..

I think Capello will go whether we qualify or not.

I was under the impression Rooney was really popular. Seems like a good lad on tv.