Official England v Slovenia/Algeria discussion thread.

Will England Qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i know not many people will agree but what about playing 2 players that have proven will score and combinde together crouch and defoe?? i know this means dropping rooney but he obviously isent in the right state off mind im thinking this for my team:

GK: James
LB: A.Cole
RB: Johnson
DC:Terry
DC: Dawson
DM: Barry
ML: J.Cole
MR: Lennon
AM: Gerrard
ST: Crouch
ST: Defoe

I just feel we need goals and this partnership will guarrenee goals.

This, except switch James for Green, Lennon for Milner and Gerrard for Lampard

Slovenia will beat us.

We need a manager who knows the ins and outs of playing for England, and who knows what it means. Look at Holland for example. Got a nobody managing them - but their coaching staff is full of Dutch legends.

Argentina - Maradona, the people love him. Doing well so far.

Brazil - Dunga, legend for Brazil.

I think in England's case we need someone who cares about the country, i.e Psycho Stuart Pearce. He's had experience with assistant managing and the U-21 team. We need Becks in the set up, and a few other big England names. Stuart is a decent manager, and knows the importance of playing for your country - it's not just about the pay cheque. That's what I think anyway. Slovenia 1 England 0.

I wont be the only person finishing work at 5pm on Wednesday.
dunga is actually very good tactically, despite being criticised back home. as for slovenia i have no idea what will happen until how we line up

why James out? he hasn't done that much wrong surely? he was solid vs Algeria i thought
random and unnecessary change, actually had a decent game

Last edited:
If I was Capello, I'd be lining up like

James
Johnson-Dawson-Terry-A.Cole
Barry-Carrick
J.Cole
Gerrard-Lampard
Rooney​
That formation is attacking, whilst remaining responsible defensively. Barry and Carrick can sit back in front of the defence and pick their passes, Joe Cole can be the industrious central midfield player, and Gerrard and Lampard can play behind Rooney. When lacking width, you could push full-backs up, or line up like this.​
James
Johnson-Dawson-Terry-A.Cole
Barry
Carrick-Lampard
Gerrard- J.Cole
Rooney​

Not that I give a ****, I'm happy to see you crash and burn. :)

Last edited:
why does everyone seem to think Rooney should start on the bench? Rooney is the one player we have could make something out of nothing, a England lineup without Rooney is not as good as a side with him. Or is it just because he hasn't played well so far? well if thats the case, drop Lennon, Lampard, Terry, A.Cole the list goes on....

Right so here's the team i would field:

............Hart

Johnson Terry Upson A. Cole

............Barry
J.Cole.................. Lennon

.....Lampard Gerrard

...........Rooney

Hart is the in-form goalkeeper at the moment and given that hes played each of the other two i think it would make a good statement that the goalkeeper position is there for the taking. Dawson has limited experience and Upson is a bit older and i think a bit more secure. Had King been fit i would have played Dawson-King at the back. Gareth Barry can break up Lampard and Gerrard and also allow them both to get forward and do what they do on club level about worrying about who is tracking back, they would also be supporting rooney who plays best (IMO) on his own up front. I'd play Lennon on the left as he looked OK there when we played Algeria and he likes to drift in to the middle (I'm guessing the main reason for him getting subbed - remember Capello dropped Walcott for this reason) and if he's coming in then that gives space for Ashley Cole to get forward and play some tasty balls into our boy Wayne. Joe Cole on the right to unlock the opposition and again hopefully getting in some good balls. I'd imagine he'll be running into the middle and this again would give enough space for Johnson, who is definately more of an attacking full back, to get forward and you have Barry tracking back to help out the defence if needed (hopefully not against Slovenia). I think this would provide alot more creativity - something we are definately lacking.

What do you reckon? - Healey for England Manager? 8-|

Last edited:
Right so here's the team i would field:

Hart

Johnson Terry Upson A. Cole

Barry
J.Cole Lennon

Lampard Gerrard

Rooney

Hart is the in-form goalkeeper at the moment and given that hes played each of the other two i think it would make a good statement that the goalkeeper position is there for the taking. Dawson has limited experience and Upson is a bit older and i think a bit more secure. Had King been fit i would have played Dawson-King at the back. Gareth Barry can break up Lampard and Gerrard and also allow them both to get forward and do what they do on club level about worrying about who is tracking back, they would also be supporting rooney who plays best (IMO) on his own up front. I'd play Lennon on the left as he looked OK there when we played Algeria and he likes to drift in to the middle (I'm guessing the main reason for him getting subbed - remember Capello dropped Walcott for this reason) and if he's coming in then that gives space for Ashley Cole to get forward and play some tasty balls into our boy Wayne. Joe Cole on the right to unlock the opposition and again hopefully getting in some good balls. I'd imagine he'll be running into the middle and this again would give enough space for Johnson, who is definately more of an attacking full back, to get forward and you have Barry tracking back to help out the defence if needed (hopefully not against Slovenia). I think this would provide alot more creativity - something we are definately lacking.

What do you reckon? - Healey for England Manager? ;) 8-|

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

with the formation your playing, id imagine either J.Cole/Lennon or Gerrard/Lampard are playing as wingers and there wouldn't give space for Johnson/A.Cole to get foward.

I said before in the 2 match's leading up to the World Cup with Mexico and Japen that ya's had no chance of winning and glad to see I was correct, Rooney is burned out after a long hard season and hasn't played the same since his injury against Bayern Munich, Lampard Cole and Terry have just won a double so that was a long hard season for them to and they may feel the World Cup is just a few games to far, Lennon is only back from a long injury, Barry had his worst season in years with City this season, We all know what happened with Terry and the lost captaincy saga, Carrick had a awful season, You dont know who your best keeper is, Terrible look with your centre halfs, Joe Cole didn't play much this season, Gerrard had his worst season in years to, Heskey is awful and Defoe didn't score many at all towards the end of the season, So basicually you have a amazing set of players that are tired, coming back from injury or out of form.

The possible starting eleven was just filtered through to TalkSport and this what it looks like:

James
Johnson - Terry - Upson - Cole
Milner - Barry - Lampard - Gerrard
Rooney - Defoe​

This hasn't been confimed yet but it is the breaking news on TalkSport. Personally, I don't like the changes and can't see why Capello hasn't picked J.Cole yet again.

Milner for Lennon I don't understand, Milner lacks pace as shown against USA so basicaly Slovenia can just exploit that easily by putting an attacking left winger on like USA did. Sure Milner can cross better than Lennon but what's the point when we don't have a target man now?

Defoe for Heskey im not sure about aswell. Defoe likes to lead the line which means Rooney will have to play deeper. If he is going to stick with the 4-4-2 formation then I would have put in Crouch. In an ideal world, I would have changed it to a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 with Gerrard playing off of Rooney and J.Cole and Lennon an both flanks. But hey, I guess Fabio knows better than all despite EVERYONE thinking the same about J.Cole starting.

Lastly, Gerrard from the left wing clearly hasn't worked so I don't see why he's going with it again. Gerrard comes infield too much which then doesn't allow Lampard to push up. So with Milner in the team aswell, we will basicaly have 4 players within 10 yards of eachother with no width at all.

The possible starting eleven was just filtered through to TalkSport and this what it looks like:

James
Johnson - Terry - Upson - Cole
Milner - Barry - Lampard - Gerrard
Rooney - Defoe​

I ****** hope we don't play Gerrard on left again, Ashley Cole will just find himself in trouble on the break.

Slovenia 1 - 0 England

- Heskey (OG)

I actually genuinely lolled at that.Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Thing is, against Algeria, Heskey was the best player on the pitch for the first 30 minutes. He created chances and him and Barry never stopped working. The problem is that he isn't playing regularly at Villa and isn't the fittest player anyway. He can't last as long as he was played. I would be content to see him play for the first half and then bringing J.Cole on. I don't think Crouch should play as he only plays at his best against the diddy teams and Slovenia, from what i've seen look less of a diddy team than England.

Am I the only one who misses Beckham?

James
A Cole - Upson - Terry - Johnson
J Cole - Lampard - Gerrard - Milner
Crouch - Rooney

Also how come Barry wasn't important until he was injured then he turned into some sort of God? XD

Am I the only one who misses Beckham?

James
A Cole - Upson - Terry - Johnson
J Cole - Lampard - Gerrard - Milner
Crouch - Rooney

Also how come Barry wasn't important until he was injured then he turned into some sort of God? XD
because people actually realised its important to have a player who protect the back four, and neither lampard or gerrard to this...

one thing i just want to bring up is the language barrier between player and coach. capello has been in charge off england since 2008 and i beilieve ancelotti speaks better english then him and his only been here about 11months. some people might say its not a big deal but i believe its huge at any level.

I think he can speak English better than he lets on. Do you notice whenever a tricky question is asked he never answers properly and "struggles" to speak the language? But when England win he's fine in the interviews...

I think he can speak English better than he lets on. Do you notice whenever a tricky question is asked he never answers properly and "struggles" to speak the language? But when England win he's fine in the interviews...
he speaks it fine enough to get his point across. except when he wants to duck a question. i'd play that card too

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

one thing i just want to bring up is the language barrier between player and coach. capello has been in charge off england since 2008 and i beilieve ancelotti speaks better english then him and his only been here about 11months. some people might say its not a big deal but i believe its huge at any level.
ancelloti's english isnt that much better, capello's english is fine enough to get his point across

he speaks it fine enough to get his point across. except when he wants to duck a question. i'd play that card too

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

ancelloti's english isnt that much better, capello's english is fine enough to get his point across

i just think ancelotti has only been in england for nearly a year and i believe uses ray wilkins really well who can speak fluent italian. my point is maybe he needs a coach who is english that speaks fluent italian not a traslator if you get my point.

I've said this for the other 2 games, I can't see anything but an England win. I've been wrong twice, but as they say... 3rd time lucky :) Come on England!