One City, One Club, One Love - A Newcastle United Story

th

FEBRUARY

v
Newcastle United 6 (Son Heung-Min og21, Mitrovic 30, 58, Merino 44, Lanzini 62, 87)
Tottenham Hotspur 1 (Llorente 73)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Shelvey, Merino (Hayden), Ritchie (Xadas), Lanzini, Atsu (R.Sessegnon), Mitrovic*

ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS!!!!! Cant believe this as we absolutely humiliated Spurs to leapfrog them in the table. Mitrovic was a beast up front and Lanzini was irresistible and also scored a great free-kick.

--

v

Bournemouth 1 (King 65)

Newcastle United 1 (Atsu 35)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett (R.Sessegnon), Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie (Murphy), Lanzini, Atsu, Mitrovic (Ayoze Perez)

Some of our play here was breathtaking but in the end we just scraped a draw as they had a late goal disallowed.

--

v

Southampton 2 (Austin 65, 90)

Newcastle United 3 (Lanzini 3, 10, Gayle 87)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles (Lejeune), Dummett (R.Sessegnon), Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie*, Lanzini, Atsu, Mitrovic (Gayle)

Another double for the main man Lanzini!

--

SUMMARY

Only 3 games this month but we did exceptionally well. Our first game was heavenly as we finally beat a big side and not only did we beat them we pulverised them 6-1. We followed that up with a draw against Bournemouth and a win against Southampton which has taken us a few wins away from European football I think.

In the youth intake I got a couple of average players and 1 decent looking player called James Whelan.
View attachment 73688

Elsewhere my predecessor Rafa Benitez has been appointed West Ham manager, Guidolin is at Watford while Brighton sacked Hughton. Also Man City beat Bournemouth 2-1 in the Carabao Cup final.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL LANZINI
View attachment 73687

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 73686

Looking pretty nailed on for a Europa spot there mate, always great to read your stories.

Absolutely brilliant month for you, especially that huge result against Spurs! Looking on course for a trip into Europe! :)

Season is looking great, especially the hammering of spurs. Also, not sure if I have ever seen a player pull a Chadli and go from West Brom to Barca

th

MARCH

v
Newcastle United 0
Liverpool 0

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin*, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Shelvey (Xadas), Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini, Atsu (Murphy), Gayle (Mitrovic)

This is the 1st time we have failed to score in the league since the 8th game of the season remarkably. We had double their efforts on goal (26) but not many clear cut chances.

--

v
Newcastle United 1 (Gayle 58)
Manchester City 1 (Sane 45)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini, Atsu (Xadas), Gayle*

The first half was even but they struck right at the death but in the 2nd half we battered them as we equalised, had a late Merino goal disallowed and missed a few sitters.

--

v

Crystal Palace 2 (Puncheon 25, Benteke 39)

Newcastle United 6 (Ritchie 8, Shelvey 9, Atsu 13, 41, Gayle 45, Lanzini 45)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Shelvey, Merino (Hayden), Ritchie*, Lanzini, Atsu, Gayle

Incredible!!! To score 6 goals in any game, let alone an away game is a great feat but to score 6 in one half is astonishing. The only criticism I have is that we took our foot off the pedal in the 2nd half. Merino got injured and is out for 4-5 weeks.

--

v

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 (Stephens 45, Gross 90)

Newcastle United 3 (Hayden 4, Lascelles 16, Atsu 50)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett (R.Sessegnon), Shelvey (McGinn), Hayden, Ritchie, Lanzini, Atsu, Gayle (Mitrovic)

Finally one of my defenders get a goal! Isaac Hayden scored on his first league start of the season too.

--

SUMMARY

This month was fantastic as we came through it unbeaten despite coming up against runaway leaders Man City and also Liverpool. The highlight was the first half mauling of Crystal Palace when we put 6 past them.

We have all but secured a European spot but can we get into the Champions League? We are sitting pretty in 3rd place - 4pts clear of Man Utd who have a game in hand and Spurs. That is good. What isn't is our run in as we face Man Utd, Arsenal and finally Chelsea!!!

Elsewhere in the league Chelsea sacked Conte and appointed Luis Enrique while Patrick Vieira is in charge of Brighton (and lost his 1st game against us).

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MATT RITCHIE

View attachment 73596

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 73595

Last edited:
th

APRIL

v
Newcastle United 0
Manchester United 0

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett*, Shelvey (McGinn), Hayden, Ritchie (Murphy), Lanzini, Atsu, Mitrovic (Ayoze Perez)

The result was great and we nearly won it in stoppage time - just after they had Valencia sent off but Atsu couldn't convert. There was bad news though as Mitro and Shelvey went off injured and will miss the rest of the season.

--

v
Newcastle United 2 (Fonte og40, Ayoze Perez 90)
West Ham United 0

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Xadas, Hayden (Longstaff), Ritchie, Lanzini*, Atsu (R.Sessegnon), Gayle (Ayoze Perez)

FINALLY AYOZE PEREZ SCORES!!!! This was an easy win and Gayle had a goal disallowed while Sean Longstaff made his debut.

--

SUMMARY

Hmm. This month was short but sweet. We had 2 games before the 14th and then have a break until the 5th of May!! Little point doing a player of the month then lol. As it was we got a decent draw against Man Utd and an easy win over West Ham. Other teams did play in our enforced break and other teams did not get the required results so with 3 games left I can now say that we will be in the Champions League next season!!!

Immediately the board have given me an initial £60m budget (and days after I quickly arranged to spend £15m of it lol) and I have managed them to go and get me another feeder side.

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 73514

What tactics are you using? Screenshot if possible

View attachment 73513View attachment 73512

What I have noticed that has been key is my right side. Ritchie cuts in to give extra numbers in the middle and that allows Yedlin who is super quick to basically be my RW and he has got 12 assists I think. Paul Dummett at left back doesn't have a single assist in comparison

View attachment 1139279View attachment 1139280

What I have noticed that has been key is my right side. Ritchie cuts in to give extra numbers in the middle and that allows Yedlin who is super quick to basically be my RW and he has got 12 assists I think. Paul Dummett at left back doesn't have a single assist in comparison

Cheers. Do you put the players in the roles that suit them best? Just started a new save so looking at something that works well with them.

th

MAY

v
Newcastle United 3 (Gayle 19, 49, Lanzini 26)
Burnley 1 (Vokes 36pen)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin (Manquillo), Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Shelvey (McGinn), Merino (Hayden), Ritchie, Lanzini, Atsu, Gayle*

Because of our unexpected break it meant that Shelvey and Merino managed to get fit enough to come back and play when I thought they would miss the rest of the season. Javier Manquillo made his 1st league appearance of the season and probably his only one lol. Man Utd drew so we are now guaranteed 3rd place minimum!!!!

--

v

Arsenal 3 (Sanchez 14, 23, Walcott 80)
Newcastle United 1 (Merino 33)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, R.Sessegnon, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie (Murphy), Lanzini*, Atsu (Xadas), Gayle (Whelan)

We needed to win to have a chance of overhauling Arsenal in 2nd while they needed to win to have a chance of overtaking Man City at the top on the last day. Regen striker James Whelan made his debut.

--

v
Newcastle United 2 (Gayle 17, Lanzini 90)
Chelsea 2 (Morata 52, Rudiger 70)

Lineup - Darlow, Yedlin, Lejeune (Tagliafico), Clark, R.Sessegnon, McGinn, Hayden (Longstaff), Murphy, Lanzini, Xadas (Aarons), Gayle
End of season game where we were confirmed in 3rd place. Credit goes to Darlow and Yedlin who played in every league match. Lascelles would have had the same honour but he was injured.

--

SUMMARY

A solid end to the season here as we cemented 3rd place in the league table. I managed to give a few youngsters some game time too which was nice. Not much else to say really apart from that we got Roda JC as a feeder side and I also agreed to spend another £25m of my transfer budget......

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DWIGHT GAYLE

View attachment 73508

END OF SEASON POST TO FOLLOW..........

Cheers. Do you put the players in the roles that suit them best? Just started a new save so looking at something that works well with them.

Yep. Don't have the quality to play players in unfamiliar roles tbh

th

SEASON REVIEW

What a season this was. Baring in mind this was my first ever save on FM18 we did magnificently well to finish 3rd in the league table and to get Champions League football for next season. We didn't get a cup run which was disappointing and my U23s and U18s didn't pull up any trees either but they were just minor blots on the copybook.

Of course off the field there were plenty of changes as the club was taken over in January and they have invested in the facilities etc which has to be commended. I got a few feeder sides too in Crewe, Nimes and Roda JC.

--

LEAGUE
View attachment 73492

We finished 3rd and were excellent. The highlights were the 6-1 home win over Spurs and the 6-2 thumping of Crystal Palace. Our defense wasn't great mind you and that needs improving. Promoted for next year are Hull, Cardiff and Preston and I got manager of the year.

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

View attachment 73490View attachment 73489

A few standout players here. Dwight Gayle who was the top scorer for the season was great, Mitrovic had a good scoring record, Shelvey, Merino and Ritchie impressed but the two standouts for me were DeAndre Yedlin and Manuel Lanzini. Yedlin was superb throughout and was more like a winger rather than a full back while Lanzini was immense and he really does make us tick.

As for the donkeys - well there are a few. Mainly the ones who didn't get games like Clark, Joselu and Manquillo.

--

END OF SEASON AWARDS AND REVIEW
View attachment 73488View attachment 73486

--

EUROPEAN GOLDEN BOOT WINNER
View attachment 73484

Last edited:
th

PRE-SEASON

As a newbie to FM18 I wasn't sure what to expect tbh and the fact I spent 75% of my transfer budget before the season even ended limited me slightly but as they say its best to get your business done early........

--

PLAYERS IN

As I have said I agreed to spend £40m or so on two players. Firstly I agreed to sign
Timo Horn from Koln for £13m. I wanted to sign a quality keeper to help us in Europe and Horn does that and he is a decent age too so I expect big things.

View attachment 73429

My 2 biggest signings both came from the same side. My biggest signing at £25m was
KieranTierney from Celtic and then just before the window ended I signed Moussa Dembele for £17.25m. Tierney was always going to be targeted and I think he will be a great LB for us and could maybe replicate Yedlin's form of last season with assists. At 21y/o he will be in the first team for years to come. As for Dembele he is young (22y/o), quick and can finish and he will really push Dwight Gayle for a start.

View attachment 73426View attachment 73425

I also signed 2 players on free transfers who will play a big part in the new season.
Daley Blind came in from Man Utd and his versatility will ensure that he gets plenty of games and Jack Wilshere came in from Arsenal and he will push Shelvey and Merino in CM. I needed another top notch CM and Wilshere fits the bill perfectly.

View attachment 73424View attachment 73423

Finally there were 3 more signings.
Pol Lirola came in from Juventus on loan and he will provide cover at RB as will a Danish regen Karsten Sandberg who if he develops will be decent and I also brought in a young forward Issiaka Soumare who I loaned to my feeder side Nimes.

TOTAL SPEND - £59m

--

PLAYERS OUT

A big clear out was needed as we had a lot of players not up to scratch and a lot on big wages who weren't going to get a game. My biggest intake of funds was for Aleksandar Mitrovic who went to Borussia Monchengladbach for £16m. I was sad to see him leave but this deal funded the signing of Dembele who I think is far better.

I go rid of 3 keepers too. Matz Sels (£4.6m), Karl Darlow (£2.7m) and Rob Elliot (£1.1m) brought in much needed funds and probably £100K a week in wages. I also got rid of a load of defenders in the shape of Nicolas Tagliafico (£3.6m), Achraf Lazaar (£6.75m), Javier Manquillo (£3m) and Ciaran Clark (£5m) while Jack Colback (£2.7m) also left and I also got a small fee for Ivan Toney and Stefan O'Connor.

TOTAL INCOME - £44m

--

FIRST XI

A few changes here naturally. Horn and Tierney will come in straight away in goal and at left back while Wilshere, Blind and Dembele will be battling it out for their positions although Dembele will start the season up front as Gayle picked up a knock.

--

AIMS

Top 4 and a cup run! In Europe I suppose it depends on the draw but I would like to make it out of the group stages but if we don't a shot at the Europa League would be nice.

--

AUGUST

v
Swansea City 2 (Ajer 14, 51)
Newcastle United 3 (Atsu 45, Dembele 47, 77pen)

Lineup
- Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney (Blind), Shelvey (Wilshere), Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini (Xadas), Atsu, Dembele

An entertaining start to the season. It seems as though we weren't the only team that went shopping at Celtic as Kristoffer Ajer scored 2 stunning long range goals against us but it wasn't enough for them as one of my own Celtic signings - Moussa Dembele - also got a double on his debut to win us the game.

--

v
Newcastle United 2 (Dembele 45, Ritchie 70)
Burnley 0

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Blind, Lascelles (Lejeune), Tierney, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie*, Lanzini (Ayoze Perez), Atsu (Murphy), Dembele

A comfortable win but Atsu got injured and will be missing for 6 weeks.

--

SUMMARY

Not much to say as we only played 2 games and got 2 good wins although Manuel Lanzini has been hoop in both games which is a minor concern. The only other bits of news is that we got Barnsley as a feeder side and in the Carabao Cup we will play Preston while in the Champions League we were drawn with Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal - an extremely tough group!!

Last edited:
Really enjoying this. I signed Horn, Tierney and Dembele on my save. Only first two are class but Dembele has struggled. Good luck with them

Good start to life in the Premier League after a dream season, shame about the really tough group but definitely a chance to really test yourself and it’ll be even more rewarding if you do pull it off and make it through.

Really enjoying this to. So much when I left LAFC I signed for Newcastle saved them from relegation now moving onto next season

th

SEPTEMBER

v

West Ham United 0
Newcastle United 0

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin (Lirola), Blind, Lascelles, Tierney, Shelvey (Wilshere), Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini, Murphy (R.Sessegnon), Dembele

A frustrating draw this as we had some chances and who got the man of the match? Karl ****** Darlow!!! I don't know what has happened to Lanzini as he has started this season off really badly.

--

v
Newcastle United 3 (Murphy 8, 45, Sakho og18)
Crystal Palace 1 (Osako 24)

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin (Lirola), Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie (R.Sessegnon), Lanzini, Murphy*, Dembele (Gayle)

A good win this although how the 2nd goes down as an own goal I don't know. It looked like Shelvey smacked it in from 25 yards to me!

--

UEFA Champions League Group C
v
Juventus 0
Newcastle United 0

Lineup
- Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney, Shelvey, Merino, Murphy (Wilshere), Lanzini, Atsu (R.Sessegnon), Dembele (Gayle)

A magnificent point and one that could be vital for us. I certainly didn't think we would get a draw and a clean sheet was near impossible I thought but there you go lol.

--

v

Tottenham Hotspur 0
Newcastle United 0

Lineup
- Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney,
Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie (Atsu), Lanzini (Lejeune), Murphy, Dembele (Gayle)

That's two really tough away games in a row and 2 great scoreless draws. Shelvey got sent-off in injury time.

--

Carabao Cup 3rd Round
v
Preston North End 1 (Robinson 32)

Newcastle United 3 (Murphy 50, Xadas 89, 90)

Lineup - Woodman, Lirola, Lejeune (Sandberg), Dummett, R.Sessegnon, Wilshere, Hayden (Longstaff), Murphy, Ayoze Perez, Xadas*, Gayle (Armstrong)

I don't have a clue if this was Preston's strongest side but if it was then we should thump them next match if my backup side can beat them albeit with 2 very late goals. Hayden had one disallowed.

--

v
Newcastle United 3 (Dembele 14, 44, Ritchie 61)
Preston North End 0

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini, Murphy (Xadas), Dembele*

An easy win as expected after the last match. Finally Lanzini decided to contributed as he got 2 assists.

--

SUMMARY

September was a good month. In the league we performed well by getting 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 clean sheets. In comparison to last season it took us 18 games to get 4 clean sheets which is a good sign but on the other hand it took us 30 odd league games to fail to score and this season we did it in 5.

In the cups we battled to a no score draw against Juventus which was great and beat Preston in the League Cup which sets us up for a tie against Liverpool.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
TIMO HORN
View attachment 73352
Not for his average rating but 4 clean sheets out of 5 says it all.

--

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 73351

Last edited:
th

OCTOBER

v
Newcastle United 3 (Dembele 1, 24, Lanzini 80)
Villarreal 0

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney, Shelvey (Wilshere), Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini*, Murphy (Atsu), Dembele

If we are to progress out of the group stage then this was a must win and we did just that. Dembele scored 2 and got an assist but it was Lanzini who got the MoM award somehow!

--

v
Cardiff City 1 (D.Ward 45)
Newcastle United 3 (Dembele 75, Xadas 79, Merino 80)

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney, Wilshere, Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini*, Atsu (Xadas), Dembele

We weren't at the races here at all tbh but got back into it when I bought Xadas on who scored one and assisted two but still Lanzini pinched the MoM award lol. Weird.

--

v
Newcastle United 4 (Wilshere 9, Dembele 21, Lanzini 26, Ritchie 42)
West Bromwich Albion 1 (Rondon 27)

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles (Dummett), Tierney, Wilshere, Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini*, Xadas (Atsu), Dembele

This time Manuel Lanzini thoroughly deserved his MoM award as he was the architect in our victory here. That's 3 games in a row he has won the award.

--

v
Newcastle United 3 (Lanzini 1, Atsu 62, Gayle 90)
Borussia Dortmund 1 (Dahoud 74)

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles (Dummett), Tierney, Shelvey, Merino, Ritchie, Lanzini*, Atsu, Dembele (Gayle)

4 in a row for Lanzini!!!!! This was a great result and performance and we sit top of the group, 2pts clear of Juventus and 3 clear of Dortmund.

--

v
Everton 3 (Hernandez 13, 63, Bolasie 35)
Newcastle United 4 (Dembele 67, 75, 78, Atsu 90)

Lineup - Horn, Yedlin, Mbemba, Lascelles, Tierney (Dummett), Shelvey (Wilshere), Merino, Ritchie (Murphy), Lanzini, Atsu, Dembele*

WHAT A COMEBACK!!!! This was insane. We were 3 down with 25min left and our 1st defeat of the season was staring us in the face but then we started playing and half-time sub Jacob Murphy assisted all 3 Dembele goals and then in the last minute Atsu scored the winner at the back post. Unbelievable!

--

Carabao Cup 4th Round
v
Liverpool 1 (Mane 51)
Newcastle United 2 (Gayle 42, Xadas 59)

Lineup - Horn, Lirola, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett (R.Sessegnon), Wilshere, Merino (McGinn), Murphy, Lanzini, Xadas, Gayle (Armstrong)

I don't know how we won this as they absolutely battered us in the 1st half as they had 18 shots to our 4 and had 1 goal disallowed yet we went into the break 1 up after Gayle broke away to score. They soon levelled but Xadas struck and we managed to hold on.

--

SUMMARY

This month was absolutely incredible as we won every single one of our matches and mostly in convincing style too. In the league we easily despatched Cardiff and WBA before somehow coming back from 3 down to win 4-3 away to Everton.

In the cups we defeated Villarreal and Dortmund to have ourselves top of the group in the Champions League and in the Carabao Cup our weakened side defeated Liverpool despite being battered. We end the month top of the league and unbeaten in all competitions!!!

Individually 2 players stood out - Manuel Lanzini and Moussa Dembele. Lanzini started off this season poorly but has refound his form and won 4 MoM awards in a row while Dembele has ousted Dwight Gayle from the side and scored 7 goals during the month.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL LANZINI
View attachment 73233

--

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 73232

Where did you get the logos from and how did you get them to install, I have downloaded a pack but cant get them into the game

Where did you get the logos from and how did you get them to install, I have downloaded a pack but cant get them into the game

The megapack from sortitoutsi. It gives you the instructions there too. You just have to have a box ticked, clear the cache and reload the skin