Ouija Board

I've tried to place this before after watching the movie, Guess what !!!!! Oh nothing exciting it never worked :S, if you were ever to play it you would have to play it with people you trusted because even if somethign did happen you would always think someone moved it simple as that unless you want to beleive they didn't! If you blindfold everyone how do you know what it spells thats just a bit foolish XD because no one else is supposed to be in the room unless they're taking part, and obviously if one person doesn't go blindfolded plays and it moves who do you think gets the blame for moving it ?

Theres only one time i've ever done a "Spiritual thing" which was in blackpool for a football tournament a parent of the club does the cards. And we were drunk and picking them. Now im not gonna go into my personal life because well.. its personal but I picked 3 cards bla bla she only ever read out one. Now the thing she done was hug me :S now I know personally what it's supposed to mean and she said " she had the feeling like never before all she wanted to do was hug me " who knows maybe she fancied me XD, but anyway she never read the other cards out and I got fed up I just wanted to hear the rest not get hugged. Luckily I didn't pay for it or there would have been trouble.

Its basically all down to what you want to beleive, If you want to beleive its true then you will if not you won't.

Ha ha Ouija boards! I remember when I was younger all the stories about them and how scared it would make me. I even remember my Mum telling me never to do one, but I did it! I reckon its something to do with subliminally applied pressure to the glass, although it feels like no pressure the collective amount from everyone basically moves it.

This is the theory behind it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

Just remember it was originally released as a board game for kids so it is essentially a human's conception! Also on QI last night they said that the concept of the Ouija board was at one point only developed to be a means of muscular testing within the boundaries of reality!

It's just a board game invented by the same people who own monopoly, trivial pursuit and many more. Purely for entertainment with no supernatural connotations (it was meant to access a subconscious part of your mind, not spirits/dead people), those only came around because of some crazy spiritualist who started using it, and then the idea spread like wildfire.
Correct. Though believe it or not, despite being used as a means of contacting the dead for most of the 20th century, it was as recent as The Exorcist that it crossed into the mainstream.

The 'spirit' is, as BlackSamba referenced, down to apparently unconscious movements the participants make, known as the Ideomotor effect. In spiritualism, this is harnessed by basically asking questions the participants know the answers to. It never gets very complicated, being at most a name. Like most mystical things, it's depressingly pedestrian in reality.http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=903626

To play devils advocate (pardon the pun, since we are talking about devils and such), but can you PROVE there are no such things as ghosts and demons? There are a **** of a lot of people who have seen things throughout history, they can't all have been on wacky baccy or dreaming........

There a **** of a lot of people in the world population too. Percentage of people with mental disorders or who would lie about a paranormal experience for the sake of attention/fame/money. The absence of proof is more evidence than some insane/lying/gullible person making claims for me.

And the spirits use the eyes of the players? Are you serious? So, how do they gain control of the senses of this person, hijack their brain? Does this person lose control of their body while spirits see through them then? If they don't need to use a brain to relay electric impulses, then why can't they just speak to us in a regular way, or even inhabit a corpse to communicate without a secondary medium?

I'll believe it when there's some hard, substantial evidence for it.

Oh, and my lame reason for the blindfolded people spelling out gibberish is that spirits use the eyes of the people doing the ouija board.

your being silly now, if you have to think up up-surd reasons to support a view then the simpler explanation that does not require up-surd reasons will normally be correct

To play devils advocate (pardon the pun, since we are talking about devils and such), but can you PROVE there are no such things as ghosts and demons? There are a **** of a lot of people who have seen things throughout history, they can't all have been on wacky baccy or dreaming........

Yes they can, its far more likely they were wacky, or dreaming hallucinating etc than it really being a Devil, Ghost etc.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

If you blindfold everyone how do you know what it spells thats just a bit foolish XD because no one else is supposed to be in the room unless they're taking part, and obviously if one person doesn't go blindfolded plays and it moves who do you think gets the blame for moving it ?

videotape it

Would'nt mess with it, can mess up the mind. and all this deamon ghost spirits buisness is all in the mind you have to think about this stuff too see it

About demons, ghosts ... Well i never had an experience with any... BUT! i respect anyone who believes or alread "found" them, because you dont know what it's out there :p , and you shouldn't play with these kind of things. My girlfriend had some paranormal experiences already and she totally freaked out , wich made me freak out aswell. Respect them, dont mess with them, or just ignore them like me.

Just to bring it back to a boring scientific level I heard an interesting theory on people sighting ghosts. For example the apparently unexplained events where ghosts appear on CCTV or Photographs.

Its something to do with the basis of photography in that natural light inprints an image into a negative. So basically wherever we are we are contantly leaving negatives on the environmnet around us. So that in a case of seeing ghosts its simply the 'one in several million' conditions being right for the 'negative' to be seen by the eye. I can't remember what the theory is and i'm not searching for it.

Seeing as you've all fell asleep, I'm going to slip out quietly. Shhhhhh.

Just to bring it back to a boring scientific level I heard an interesting theory on people sighting ghosts. For example the apparently unexplained events where ghosts appear on CCTV or Photographs.

Its something to do with the basis of photography in that natural light inprints an image into a negative. So basically wherever we are we are contantly leaving negatives on the environmnet around us. So that in a case of seeing ghosts its simply the 'one in several million' conditions being right for the 'negative' to be seen by the eye. I can't remember what the theory is and i'm not searching for it.

Seeing as you've all fell asleep, I'm going to slip out quietly. Shhhhhh.

We must use the scientific method to prove that something exists, it's why we escaped the dark ages. Believing in hoaxes, opinions, lies and scary stories is irresponsible, people who believe are most likely: uneducated, too young to understand or superstitious, or all of them; it's horribly wrong of us to believe in something under these conditions, we've become far too advanced as a society to accept beliefs as factual.

So, if a camera and the human eye can interpret them, implying that ghosts are made of matter, since light can reflect off them, then how would a spirit gain matter and therefore mass? How would they create energy for movement, sound etc.? And don't even get me started on why only "psychics" can interpret their communications.

Hmmmm, perhaps I wasn't clear or jokey enough when coming up with my reasons why the board might work. No, I was not being serious at all, especially about the spirits using the persons eyes, aliens could though with their mind control beam.....;)

We must use the scientific method to prove that something exists, it's why we escaped the dark ages. Believing in hoaxes, opinions, lies and scary stories is irresponsible, people who believe are most likely: uneducated, too young to understand or superstitious, or all of them; it's horribly wrong of us to believe in something under these conditions, we've become far too advanced as a society to accept beliefs as factual.

So, if a camera and the human eye can interpret them, implying that ghosts are made of matter, since light can reflect off them, then how would a spirit gain matter and therefore mass? How would they create energy for movement, sound etc.? And don't even get me started on why only "psychics" can interpret their communications.

It's a matter of faith, like Religion.

i dont think i would ever try it, i seen one ghost in croxteth park and i never worked there again.

I've used one twice.
First time it took us like half an hour to get any movement at all, then the 'spirit' started answering some of the questions, only a few though.
Tried it again just a few days ago and we didn't get any movement.. :(

And what's wrong with that?

Because it doesn't follow the scientific method to derive fact. There's a massive difference between someone having faith and thinking that there maybe ghosts, and someone believing they know there's ghosts.

Surely all scientific discoverys were based on theory and faith before proof could be established.

Surely all scientific discoverys were based on theory and faith before proof could be established.

Yes, and nothing is counted as a scientific fact until evidence to prove it is obtained. And scientific faith is very different. Faith in a scientific theory is based upon sound and rational arguments and evidence, religious faith is taking belief of religious teachings as absolute with zero evidence.