saulabbiss

Reaction score
This story is based on the pass the parcel game/challenge that I am running.

I suggest reading the OP from:http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...lenges-scenarios/115951-pass-parcel-game.html

So I was the first manager in charge and so the story begins.

Scott Joshua Abbiss Takes Over Reading!

Being the first manager, I thought it was my duty to first assess the squad.

Areas for improvement:
Striker
Winger
Centre Midfield

I also tried to remove any dead wood at the club. That is dead wood in my opinion. Not sure the others would approve or not. So here are my transfers:

View attachment 319590

As you can see my target to sign a winger was not successful, I had lined up a transfer for Nathan Dyer but didn't have the funds to complete the transfer.

Tactics:
View attachment 319592

After assessing the squad and the players I had available I decided that a 4-5-1 formation was most suitable even though I had many strikers available. I decided this because I like to play a back 4 and then the club did not have any wide midfielders or centre attacking midfielders. But Reading do have a few decent wingers.

The tactic shown above was the only tactic I used in the whole season as it was very successful.

Results:
View attachment 319593

These are the results I had as manager of Reading. I got off to tough start playing Man United and Spurs first 2 games, and then losing first round of league cup to Crystal Palace. I then had a decent run of results with only the odd loss here and there and soon found myself just inside the top half of the premier league.

Big Results:
View attachment 319594
View attachment 319595

We got 2 big draws against Chelsea and Liverpool. Which helped to keep points ticking over.

View attachment 319597

This was one of the biggest disappointment for me as manager of reading. We were 3-3 and lost the match at the death against Man City. But taking the positives we managed to score 3 goals against tough opposition twice in Chelsea and Man City. But I was disappointed to concede so many goals as our strength is meant to be in defence.

But all in all I am very pleased with how my 6 months in charge of Reading went and our league position:
View attachment 319602

So I hand over to the next manager with a couple of players on the way out in Hunt and Guthrie to bring in transfer budget for the next manager to sign their own players. And with a suggestion that the next manager looks at contract expiry dates and looks to sign players in the winger position as I was unable to fill this position. Victor Moses is available on loan and Nathan Dyer will probably still be available for transfer.

But it is down to the next manager what they chose to do. Thats the whole point of the game... Good luck in you 6 months T1LL13 and I look forward to hearing how your 6 months go.

All the best
Saul Abbiss

will follow this as I like the idea :)

however, your signings were way too overpriced, you could have bought about 6 really good players for that amount of cash mate...

is this FMC or normal and how many leagues/nations did you load? what size DB?

will follow this as I like the idea :)

however, your signings were way too overpriced, you could have bought about 6 really good players for that amount of cash mate...

is this FMC or normal and how many leagues/nations did you load? what size DB?

It's normal mate, France, England, Germany, Spain, Italy and Holland i think. Can't check as im working.

I agree with the transfers. Nearly fainted when i loaded the game and saw McCarthy. I will be posting my January transfers tonight along with my Jan fixtures. Glad to see a God like Raikan is following.

This could get quite interesting when managers start selling other managers signings. :D

This could get quite interesting when managers start selling other managers signings. :D

Haha exactly ;) thats the whole point of it. 3 Diff guys with 3 diff ideas. Look out for a Jan update tonight. Not looking forward to posting it!!

Cant wait to get my hands on this save good start sitting 13th after 6month. Hopefully we can all keep up a decent run

Haha exactly ;) thats the whole point of it. 3 Diff guys with 3 diff ideas. Look out for a Jan update tonight. Not looking forward to posting it!!

I take that means you have had a tough month?? :/ jan was supposed to be easy!

It's normal mate, France, England, Germany, Spain, Italy and Holland i think. Can't check as im working.

I agree with the transfers. Nearly fainted when i loaded the game and saw McCarthy. I will be posting my January transfers tonight along with my Jan fixtures. Glad to see a God like Raikan is following.

When you say you agree with transfers i take it you mean you don't agree with the transfers i made? And as for mccarthy he was one of my best players for me!

When you say you agree with transfers i take it you mean you don't agree with the transfers i made? And as for mccarthy he was one of my best players for me!

Im not having a go at the players you bought mate, i just agree that the fees were high. McCarthy is great player. I wasnt having a go at you mate, we are in this together remember!!

Im not having a go at the players you bought mate, i just agree that the fees were high. McCarthy is great player. I wasnt having a go at you mate, we are in this together remember!!

I didn't mean u were having a go at me just asking do you disagree with my decisions because after all football is a game of opinions! ;)

January 2013 Update

Transfers

After the previous Manager stated that we needed wide players. I tried my best to sign some wingers. I singed 2 wingers and a player who can play wide if need be. I did fail in one other signing young Adem Ljajic who failed to get a work permit

Reading January Transfers

View attachment 320285

In

Vaclav Pilar

Good player for a reasonable fee should take the team forward
View attachment 320286

Ibrahima Traore

Will play the opposite side from Pilar, another good player for small fee

View attachment 320287

Sotiris Ninis

Third player who can play wide, it’s another option

View attachment 320290

Ivan Radovanovic

Felt the need for another decent midfielder, good price too

View attachment 320288

Santiago Garcia

Needed a left back as Shorey is not good enough and Harte is getting on a bit

View attachment 320289

Out

Guthrie, Gorkss and Hunt were all arranged before i took charge, decent fees for all players. Robert and Leigertwood are the only other 2 first teamers to leave. £3m was a good price for an average player.

January results

Reading 0-2 Tottenham

View attachment 320299

Player well for 50 minutes, quality shown through though

Chesterfield 3-3 Reading

View attachment 320300

Pogrebnyak
McCarthy
Le Fondre

4 injuries and 2 internationals didn’t help here. Wasn’t very pretty. Loads of goals though

Reading 2-1 West Brom

View attachment 320301Pogrebnyak
Gunter

Made hard work of this game. We dominated and scored a good late winner

Wigan 2-1 Reading

View attachment 320302
Robson-Kanu

Very sloppy. Conceded two VERY soft goals. Moving on.........

Reading 1-1 Norwich

View attachment 320303
Alex Pearce

Conceded early. Couldn’t ****** that much needed home win.

Reading 2-1 Chesterfield

View attachment 320304
Le Fondre
Robson-Kanu

Hard to watch, enough said.........

Reading 2-1 Swindon

View attachment 320305
Robson-Kanu x2

Struggled again to overcome average opposition. Not playing great.

West Ham 1-0 Reading

View attachment 320306
Best first half we have played since i took over. Poor second half, conceded soft goal AGAIN.

Player of the month

View attachment 320307

Fully deserved. 6 good performances and 4 goals

All in all a very up and down month. Pleased enough with the transfers and I know, once settled the players will create a good team. Onwards and upwards......

Last edited:
Not doing too bad scott but slightly disappointed in your sale of leigertwood as he was doing well but i fully understand why because he wasn't going to be a strong player for the long term! Also i found robson-kanu was quality although attributes and coach reports suggest he isn't anything too special! Think if he keeps form going could become a player we may be able to sell for a decent fee! All in all impressed with your signings and should meet target of consolidation in the premier league! Keep it up! :)

p.s what tactic are you using?

View attachment 320423

February results

Reading 2-3 Swansea

View attachment 320416

Ninis
Pogrebnyak

Utterly gobsmacked at this result!! We were 2-0 up and cruising, thought we had turned a corner, i was wrong

Sunderland 1-1 Reading

View attachment 320417

Robson-Kanu

Was a bit upset with this as they are bottom, but we arent playing well and its a point away from home

Reading 1-0 Crystal Palace

View attachment 320418Le Fondre

Dominated. Couldnt score if they wanted us to. Lucky to get the goal at the end.

Reading 0-4 Chelsea

View attachment 320419

Ouch!!

Player of the month

View attachment 320420

Superb!! Only bright light in dull dull month. Played well in every game, shame i dont have 10 more like him.

View attachment 320468

March results

Leeds 1-4 Reading
FA Cup 6th Round

View attachment 320464

Robson-Kanu x2
Pogrebnyak
Le Fondre

Dramatic change of tactics and it paid off. Superb result and a screamer from Le Fondre.
Into the semi-finals of the FA Cup now, against Hull City

Reading 2-1 Arsenal

View attachment 320466

McCarthy
Traore

What a result!! When it was 1-1 we had a couple of shaky moments but a sensational solo goal from Traore secured an astonishing win.

Player of the month

View attachment 320467

Just for his goal against Arsenal, superb!!

Nice updates! Good cup run going and must have a decent safety net away from relegation zone? Maybe upload a picture of table or you leaving us in suspense? Hal robson-kanu seems to still be scoring loads but got the feeling he will most likely just be a reserve player or not at club by the time i next see the save :/ think that is what is going to make this game so interesting! Also can't wait for the time someone decides to take another job! Could be quite controversial :p

Decent cup run here maybe a ticket into Europe for us, decent signings as well

Would you look at a lad called Marcus Bennett I think and see If he is still at Derby. Got him on my personal file and he's a real gem. Him and Andre dominated the prem for me last year

Would you look at a lad called Marcus Bennett I think and see If he is still at Derby. Got him on my personal file and he's a real gem. Him and Andre dominated the prem for me last year

Mason Bennett young striker decent potential

Mason Bennett young striker decent potential

Yeah that's the one, he's a cracking player on mine but he was already at Spurs when I arrived. Scored 19goals this season for me in rotation with Demba Ba but Andre has been my main man

Should be an update tonight guys. Been busy doing other things. Hopefully be passing on the save by the end of the week.

Got the BIG Semi-Final in this update so fingers crossed!!