Patrice Evra lays into 'crisis' club Arsenal ahead of Manchester visit
• Evra describes Arsenal as 'a football training centre'
• 'What is there for Arsenal? Nothing. There are no trophies'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/10/patrice-evra-crisis-club-arsenal

Alan Gardner
guardian.co.uk, Friday 10 December 2010 10.47 GMT
Article history

patriceevra006.jpg

Manchester United's Patrice Evra labelled Arsenal 'a football training centre' ahead of the game between the two clubs. Photograph: Neal Simpson/Empics Sport

Patrice Evra has dismissed Arsenal as "a football training centre" and a club facing "crisis" in a stinging appraisal of Manchester United's next Premier League opponents. The France left-back added that while Arsenal may be top of the table, he believes Chelsea are United's main rivals for the title.

Speaking to the French TV station Canal+, Evra acknowledged the ability of Arsène Wenger's side but pointed to the club's ongoing trophy drought – their last silverware came with victory over United in the 2005 FA Cup final – as evidence for his criticism. He even suggested that United can afford to lose to Arsenal at Old Trafford on Monday without conceding an insurmountable advantage in the title race.

"For me, Arsenal is a football training centre," said Evra. "You watch the match, you enjoy it, but are you going to win a title afterwards? That's what people remember. It has been five years since they won anything and for a big club like Arsenal, that is a crisis."

"We can lose against them, but at the end of the day, what is there for Arsenal? There is nothing. There are no trophies, there is nothing. Our real enemy is Chelsea. We are more concerned with Chelsea's results than those of Arsenal, even if we know Arsenal are a great team who can beat Chelsea, us or anyone."

Arsenal are currently one point ahead of United at the top of the Premier League, having played a game more, but could stretch the gap to four points with victory on Monday. Third-placed Chelsea, meanwhile, face a potentially tricky trip to Tottenham looking for only a second win in their last seven league games.

Wenger's side, who qualified from their Champions League group on Wednesday, have also reached the last four of this season's Carling Cup, prompting a belief that their commitment to passing football may at last bring some tangible reward. However, for all the plaudits Arsenal receive about their attractive play, Evra suggested that they lack the steel that is married to style at United.

"When we play against Arsenal, it is really fun," he said. "They are a team that plays football who will not come to Old Trafford with 11 men behind the ball. We also play football, but the difference is that we also have strength. Sometimes, they cannot kill off matches. We are more efficient."

Arsenal's France midfielder Samir Nasri responded by saying that his team-mates would travel to Manchester with the aim of proving their maturity. "We are not children and we will demonstrate that on Monday," said Nasri. "We will show Manchester United that Arsenal have really grown."

Evra had been one of a number of United players with fitness doubts ahead of the Arsenal game but the manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, today said that he expects to have a full squad to pick from.

"Everyone is fit," said Ferguson. "Paul Scholes started training yesterday. It was just light stuff but hopefully he will be available for Monday and Rio [Ferdinand] should be fit as well. Jonny [Evans] and Wes [Brown] have had a bit of a virus that has been going around the place [but] we should have a full squad for Monday."

Dear Alex Song,

Please Break Evra's legs.

Thanks.

He is such a s**t stirrer :D, as if arsenal need to be any more fired up for this game

Heh, guess he won't be saying that in a few years when Wenger's financial control pays off whereas United are plunged into mounds of debt from the Glazers.

I wonder if Fergie had anything to do with his

A couple of years ago, he called us 'babies' - a couple of weeks later, we beat them 2-1 at the Emirates, so Evra lost to a bunch of babies. Nice.

Actually, I'm surprised he has the guts to show his face in public after what Albrighton did to him a few weeks ago.

How can a team top of the league be in 'crisis'?

How can a team top of the league be in 'crisis'?
its tongue in cheek. he's just taking the **** ahead of the match. Not sure why, its not the smartest of ideas to wind up an in form Nasri

sorry but he's such a **** i really hate him with a passion hope he does get a bad injury but he recovers.
Has he forgotten what he was like at the World Cup?

lol what a ****, in a few years time I can see Arsenal bveing the dominantn club with their tight financial control compared to the debt Man Utd will be in thanks to the Glazers although he is right in saying that for a club of Arsenal's stature, 5 years without a trophy is really bad but i wont call it a crisis, considering that if they had a fit RVP and Fabregas coming into the end of last season they would have won the title me thinks

Heh, guess he won't be saying that in a few years when Wenger's financial control pays off whereas United are plunged into mounds of debt from the Glazers.

You beat me to it, word for word.

Wenger > *

well according to MUST (fools with an agenda) we should have gone bankrupt already. Not really the place so i will VM you later

A couple of years ago, he called us 'babies' - a couple of weeks later, we beat them 2-1 at the Emirates, so Evra lost to a bunch of babies. Nice.

i swear he called you babies before the champions league semi final

sorry but he's such a **** i really hate him with a passion hope he does get a bad injury but he recovers.
Has he forgotten what he was like at the World Cup?

Why would you ever wish a "bad injury" on a player?

Its all mind games but i agree with the post saying its not a freat idea when Nasri is on form and Arsenal appear to be hitting some form.

Back