Patrick Vieira - from Midfielder to Manager

Champions League qualification on the cards!!

Great going in the League. A bit unfortunate about the cup exits though.

I know mate, never thought that at the start of the season :)

Cups have been disappointing this season, hopefully top 4 will make up for it though!

View attachment 209205

March 2017

View attachment 209204

March was a seriously short month due to some International football being played.

Our first game was against a pretty poor Liverpool side who were in 9th position at the time. Our finishing just wasn't as good as it had been all season long. Liverpool created very little and in truth a draw was probably a fair result.

The other game, against Fulham, was a better performance, albeit against much weaker opposition who are bottom of the league. Moussa Sissoko scored 2 more goals to add to his 4 he scored last month before Callum Wilson netted the 3rd.

View attachment 209202

So we finish the month firmly in 4th place, 5 points clear of Man Utd in 5th!

With only 8 games to go we have a real chance of staying there and claiming the final Champions League spot.

With just 8 games left of the season, here are the final fixtures in the run in ...

View attachment 209198

There's some tough games to come here!

Tottenham absolutely blew us away earlier in the season we i expect another tough game against them. The other games that stand out are Man City and Chelsea towards the end of the season. Hopefully we can rack up enough points before we play them!

The only disappointment this month was some injury news to Remy Cabella ...

View attachment 209203

Cabella was ruled out for up to 6 weeks which means he'll be lucky to play again this season!

Sorry if the last few posts have seemed a bit rushed! I got so far behind uploading on here. I've caught up with game time now so updates should be a bit better from now on :)

View attachment 209175

Gameweek 31

View attachment 209174

View attachment 209173

We stick to our 4-3-2-1 formation which we've used for the majority of our away fixtures this season.

Sadly Aleksander Kolarov has been ruled out for a couple of weeks which means Tyrone Mings comes in at left back for a rare start.

The rest of the team really picks itself with Redmond and Sissoko on the wings and Ayoze Perez leading the line.

Wolves on the other hand have lined up with a flat 4-4-2 with Joe Mason and ex Newcastle front-man, Loic Remy up-front.

Wolves are currently 14 but unbeaten in 3 games now.

View attachment 209172

Pretty disappointed with this really.

We didn't play too badly but to be honest, Wolves looked a lot better than I imagined and actually created a number of chances.

We eventually took the lead midway through the second half when Nathan Redmond struck from the edge of the box. The ball fell to Redmond after Wolves had only half cleared a corner, Redmond controlled the ball and volleyed into the back of the net.

Just as I though we would go on and claim all 3 points, Kevin McDonald struck an equaliser which meant we would have to settle for a point.

View attachment 209171

2 dropped points here means we're now only 3 points clear of them and only 4 clear of Tottenham who sit 6th. Still a lot of football to be played but we need to put this behind us as soon as possible.

Up net ... Tottenham at home ...​

Last edited:
View attachment 209170

Gameweek 32

View attachment 209169

View attachment 209168

We stick with the same side that drew with Wolves in the previous game. Although we didn't play that well and failed to win, I haven't really got that many options to change.

Tottenham meanwhile put out a pretty strong side in a game which they need to win. They go with a similar shape than us but have an attacking midfielder in Erik Lamela which Anita will have to mark carefully. Erikson, Heung-Min and Harry Kane look to be the real danger men for them.

Harry Kane has already scored 25 goals this season and they also have Saido Berhino on the bench who's got 19 to his name so far.

If they beat us here they'll go 1 point behind us with 6 games to go. Their run-in looks pretty difficult though so I'm expecting them to drop more points between now and the end of the season.

I've played Tottenham 3 times now since taking charge and I've lost all 3! Let's hope we can stop the rot today!

View attachment 209167

Another 1-1 draw but this time I'm much more pleased with it that the one against Wolves.

We took an early lead when Moussa Sissoko scored his 13th of the season following a good play and cross from Jenkinson.

Tottenham equaliser 15 minutes later through Danny Rose. This was such a disappointing goal to conceed! It was just a standard headed goal from a corner but you really don't expect Danny Rose to score that kind of goal.

The second half was pretty even, if anything I think we just edged it but probably didn't do quite enough to win it.

View attachment 209164

The draw means we stay 4 clear of Tottenham which I felt was really important before the game. Tottenham have both Arsenal and Chelsea to play in the coming weeks so hopefully they can drop points there and fall behind slightly.

Man Utd however are only 3 behind, thankfully they drew 0-0 against West Brom an dropped 2 very important points.

6 games to go and still all to play for.​

Last edited:
View attachment 209102

Gameweek 33

View attachment 209101

View attachment 209098

We revert to our 4-2-4 formation in a game which we need to win against a Watford side fighting against relegation.

The obvious dangerman for Watford is Troy Deeney who will be a real handful. Watford look to set up very deep which will mean we'll struggle to get in behind them.

I chose Callum Wilson in-front of Wilfried Bony to partner Ayoze Perez due to his form over the course of the season. I'm still hopeful that Bony will come good but that becomes more unlikely after game.

View attachment 209097

Another 1-1 draw!! Thats 3 in a row now!

I mentioned Troy Deeney pre-match and he ended up opening the scoring just before half time. Deeney latched onto a short back pass from Jenkinson and finished past Begovic before he could reach the ball.

We equalised with just over 10 minutes to go when Redmond put in a great cross to the far post with Thauvin finishing. We really went for the winner late on but just couldn't break down a stubborn Watford side.

View attachment 209092

We stay in 4th but it's now Everton who look to be our biggest challengers who are in 5th and only 3 points behind.

Man Utd are 4 behind but are more than capable of winning all their remaining games.​

Last edited:
View attachment 209066

Gameweek 34

View attachment 209047

View attachment 209046

We persisted with our attacking 4-2-4 formation which we don't normally play away from home. However, I now know that we really need to get back to winning ways after 3 draws on the spin.

Leicester, like Watford, went with a flat 4-4-2 with Okazaki and Sanabria up-front. Another danger man for them is Riyad Mahrez, playing right wing today.

View attachment 209034

That's more like it!

The first half was a little boring with very few chances for either side but the second half really came into life.

Callum Wilson scored his first before the hour mark when he beat Wes Morgan and finished past the keeper into the far post. Leicester then levelled through Kramaric who scored his 10th of the season. I was so worried of a 4th straight 1-1 draw, I went really attacking for the final 25 minutes or so and it really paid of.

Wilfried Bony replaced Ayoze Perez who had limped off around the hour mark and he really made the difference. First setting up Moussa Sissoko as we re-took the lead. He then played through Callum Wilson for our 3rd who finished well for his 13th goal in 14 starts (a further 13 sub appearances).

Bony then rounded off his good performance by scoring himself. Bony finished after Schmeichel saved well from a Dele Alli effort from the edge of the box.

View attachment 209022

The table looks really promising after that win.

We're now 5 points clear of Tottenham who are 5th, Tottenham still have Everton and Arsenal to come up in their final 4 games so I can see them dropping down.

It's Man Utd that are worrying me, their 7 points behind us but are more than capable of winning all their remaining games. Everton also have difficult games against Liverpool and Tottenham where they could easily drop points.​

View attachment 208898

Gameweek 35

View attachment 208895

View attachment 208893

We stuck with our 4-2-4 formation as we know how important it to get the 3 points, we've drawn too many games recently and we really to get a win here.

Sadly Sissoko has been ruled out for a couple of weeks which means he misses out and with Cabella already injured, Thauvin comes in for the right wing position.

The dangermen for Southampton are obviously Pelle and Giovani. However I really feel that Ward-Prowse can be targeted at right back, playing badly out of position. Tim Krul also plays against us for the first time after moving on deadline day.

View attachment 208883

We must really love a 1-1 draw!!

This could prove to be a really important 2 points dropped here after looking shaky all game.

We took the lead through Callum Wilson, scoring his 14th of the season, after he got the better of Ward-Prowse who misjudged the flight of the ball and let Wilson one on one with Krul. There was only ever going to be one winner there!

We didn't look great all game and Southampton kept having shots from distance without really creating anything clear cut.

We conceeded after Steven Davies finished from the far post after beating Mings to the ball.

This really could be a vital 2 points dropped with only 3 games left.

View attachment 208882

This also signaled the end of month and with only 3 games left we stay in 4th place but it's so tight!

Tottenham are the team just behind us, 3 points behind in 5th. But it's Man Utd who really worry me, their 5 points behind but have a game in hand. They also have winnable games in their run in, they're more than capable of winning all of their 4 remaining games.

View attachment 208881

With 3 tough game to go, we really need 7 points to guarantee 4th place.

The trouble with that is I can't see us getting anything out of the final game as Chelsea are unbeaten all season and on course to get over 95 points this season.

That means we need to beat Man City and West Ham to have any chance​

View attachment 208877

Gameweek 36

View attachment 208876

View attachment 208875

Looking at the line ups just makes we think what a challenge this is!

Ideally we really need a win here, a point has to be absolute minimum and hope that Man Utd drop points somewhere in their run-in.

With Sissoko still injured, we look to Redmond to be the one who makes things happen. The Man City side on the other hand is full of quality, Sterling, Jovetic and De Bruyne all capable of tearing us a new one.

View attachment 208873

Well, we didn't manage to get the win we so badly wanted. A 0-0 draw isn't too bad though and keeps our hopes alive for 4th place.

We didn't play too badly although we never really created anything that you'd describe as 'clear cut'. Although you could say the same about Man City as well.

View attachment 208872

The race for top 4 is now even tighter! We stay in 4th place but are only 3 points clear of Tottenham and Man Utd. Utd won their game in hand but then drew against Stoke which gave us a glimmer of hope.

A win against West Ham and a point against Chelsea will guarantee us Champions League football next season.​

View attachment 208870

Gameweek 37

View attachment 208869

View attachment 208868

Once again we keep the faith with our 4-2-4 formation in the hope of getting the all important and much needed win. We welcome back Moussa Sissoko but Ayoze Perez fails a late fitness test so Wilfried Bony partners Callum Wilson up-front.

West Ham meanwhile play a 4-4-1-1 formation with Mauro Zarate playing off David Barral.

View attachment 208867

Once again, another draw!

The amount of draws we've had recently really could be our downfall this season.

We went 1-0 down when Andy Carroll bullied Subotic in the air and headed home on the half hour mark.

We really went for it but the final ball just wasn't there. Eventually we equalised when Sissoko marked his return to the side with a late, late goal. Bony played the ball through to him and Sissoko blasted the ball past the 'keeper the level.

We had another good chance in injury time but Bony blazed his effort over the bar.

View attachment 208866

It now looks a huge challenge to clinch 4th place!

We're still 3 points clear of Tottenham and Man Utd but Man Utd still have a game in hand. We only need to match Tottenham's result in the final game to finish above them.

Man Utd however play Arsenal in midweek, if they win that then we'll go level on points. Our only saving grace is that our goal difference is much better. This meas we should only have to match their result as well to claim 4th spot.

The bad news is that our final game is against the league leaders Chelsea who are unbeaten all season and already have 91 points.

View attachment 208865

View attachment 208746

FINAL GAME OF THE SEASON

View attachment 208744

So the final fay is here!

We still occupy 4th spot, although on only goal difference. Man Utd are my main worry in 5th and level on points. Their final game see's them up against Norwich (away).

Tottenham meanwhile are 3 behind and with a slightly worse goal difference. Their final game is an away trip to face Crystal Palace.

We only need a point to finish above Tottenham but it's Man Utd who really worry me! We need to match their result and with them playing 15th place Norwich who have nothing to play for, I can only see them picking up all 3 points.

Us on the other hand ...

View attachment 208745

That's right ... Chelsea, away from home!

As difficult as it get's in the Premier League! Chelsea have already won the league and are unbeaten all season! They'll be desperate to win to emulate Arsenal's invincible season back in 2003/2004 season.

View attachment 208742

As you can see ... pretty tough to beat!

They did draw their last game which was a home tie against Watford which gives me some hope. Even a draw may not be enough though if Man Utd win!

I'll certainly be having more than one eye on the Man Utd game.

View attachment 208738

Just looking at the Chelsea line up makes me realise just how difficult this is going to be!

Their's strength in every single department.

We played Chelsea earlier in the season and managed a 0-0 draw which gives me encouragement. We also gave them a right good game in the Fa Cup final last season where we took the lead twice before losing 3-2 in extra time.

The Chelsea side was so much weaker then though, especially the defence.

We set up a lot deeper and only go with one forward, Wilfried Bony to give us some physicality and an option to play it long it needs be. Sissoko was also moved into central midfield to get an extra bony in their, that allowed Cabella to come in and play left wing.

View attachment 208733

Well sadly, the game pretty much went as I imagined.

Chelsea were by far the better side and dominated throughout as they celebrated remaining unbeaten all season.

Diego Costa opened the scoring just before half time after threatening all half.

The second half was played at a really slow tempo with the Chelsea fans in a party mood. We threatened late on but never really created anything clear cut, we just couldn't get the final ball right.

Juan Cuadrado then made sure of the win with just a minute to go. They caught us on the break with us so eager in getting a point.

The big talking point now is what happened at Carrow Road and Selhurst Park where Man Utd and Tottenham both played their final game.

View attachment 208730

Well, Tottenham only managed a draw against Crystal Palace which means we finish above them and now only have to worry about Man Utd. We now need them to lose against Norwich, any kind of result for them and they'll clinch 4th spot.

View attachment 208729

Nooo!

Man Utd clinch the final Champions League spot with a 1-0 win over Norwich! A draw would have even been good enough for them but the win here just sticks the knife in.

View attachment 208726

So there we have it, we ended up finishing 5th and just missing out on the Champions League.

Chelsea cruised to winning the league with 94 points, 16 points ahead of Arsenal.

Its so disappointing that we've missed out on the Champions League, not because that was the aim at the start of the season but the position we were in a month ago really should have seen us clinch it.

Too many draws, especially towards the end of the season has cost us here.​

View attachment 208597

End of season awards

Despite us missing out on Champions League football, it was still a very successful season for us. A 5th place finish for a team who were expected to be in a relegation battle is something to be proud of.

View attachment 208589

So, Moussa Sissoko won our player of the season award with a huge 76%. This was never in doubt really as Sissoko proved to be a class above throughout the season and really dragged us through sometimes. Nathan Redmond and Georginio Wijnaldum came second and third but both were a long way behind.

'Signing of the season' went to Dejan Lovren. I'm not surprised about this at all, the defence really improved once he joined and he was a big reason why we finished so high.

'Young player of the season' was a shortlist of two, Nathan Redmond and Dele Alli. Nathan Redmond won due to his 10 goals and 9 assists. Dele Alli had a higher average rating but Redmond probably contributed more.

Wijnaldum came third in the race for 'player of the season' but couldn't get into the best 11 of the season! The back 5 was pretty straight forward with Tim Krul just beating Begovic in goal. Dele Alli beat Wijnaldum to partner Sissoko in central midfield while Redmond and Cabella filled the wide roles. Ayoze Perez and Wilson got the nod up-front, which was pretty obvious really.

I was really proud of our home form but when I look at it now, it's obvious we drew too many of them!

View attachment 208581

We stayed unbeaten at home all season but still only had the 5th best home record.

in 19 homes games we only managed to win 11 and draw 8, it a couple of those draws had been wins then we'd be looking forward to Champions League football next year.

View attachment 208580

Our season review has the 5-1 mauling against Swansea as the high point of the season. I'd definitely agree with this, it was our most complete performance of the season.

Equally, the 3-0 defeat at Tottenham was probably our worst performance, it was the only game of the whole season where we just never turned up.

View attachment 208579

As you'd expect, Moussa Sissoko had the highest rating over the course of the season than anyone in our squad. Dele Alli and Nathan Redmond were neck and neck in second with Wijnaldum and Lovren coming 4th and 5th.

Callum Wilson just makes the list in 6th spot, I included Wilson here because of his lack of minutes. He only started 17 games compared to 30+ like all the others. Despite this he still managed an impressive 14 goals.

So, how do our average ratings compare with the rest of the league ...

View attachment 208578

Moussa Sissoko can be very proud of coming 3rd here behind Bellerin and Sanchez. Sadly no one else makes the top 10 with both Redmond and Alli some way behind.

View attachment 208577

It's a similar story with the top goalscorer award.

Sissoko finished joint 5th with 15 league goals. He was some way behind Icardi though who finished on 26.

I though Ayoze Perez would have a chance of this award at one point but he couldn't carry on his brilliant start as he had a slow finish to the season and failed to score in his last 10 games. In the end he finished on 13 in the league.

I was surprised not to see Sergio Aguero on the list this season but I looked into his injury record and it turns out he missed 21 weeks of action down to injury this season so only managed 9 goals, last season he got 33.

So unlucky there on the last day, I'm sure you can kick on and make up for it next season though!

Chin up ! It was a wonderful season even this bad loss !!

So unlucky there on the last day, I'm sure you can kick on and make up for it next season though!

Thanks mate :) Top 4 has to be the aim next season, hopefully Tight Ashley can give me some dosh to spend!

Chin up ! It was a wonderful season even this bad loss !!

Yeah it was, I keep looking at it with disappointment because we missed out.But I'd have taken 5th before the season started :)

View attachment 207645

End of season break

So, with the season now finished and all the lads away on their holidays, I was organising a meeting with the other staff members to discuss this next season.

I was really confident that with a couple more additions we could really crack the top 4 this season.

However, as I was sending a message to all the coaches and scouts, I noticed this on the job security page ...

View attachment 207644

AC Milan had parted company with Siniša Mihajlović after two years with the club.

It looked like a joint decision as the word 'sacked' was never used. Mihajlović took over Milan in June 2015 after the club had finished 10th in one of their poorest seasons in a long time.

However Mihajlović hasn't really improved their fortunes and with a 10th place finish last season, left the club.

I was pretty interested in this, I love Newcastle and really think we can break the top 4 this season. But, out of interest more than anything else, I asked my agent to set up an interview.

Low and behold, less than 24 hours later and Ac Milan were offering me an interview which I rushed at.

The interview went well but I didn't really expect the job as a couple of others were thought to be their preferred option.

However ...

View attachment 207636

The interview obviously did go well as Milan offered me a contract just 2 days later.

I really thought this was a good move for me and my career. I felt there was unfinished work at Ac Milan after the year I had their early in my playing career where I didn't really make a mark on the first team.

I HAD to accept this, but I wanted to tell Mike Ashley first. I didn't want him finding out by watching the news.​

Great second season and Europe on the horizon... But Milan put an offer on the table, looking forward to seeing what happens.

View attachment 207538

After recieving the job offer, I drove straight to the training ground at Newcastle to see the owner, Mike Ashley. I really wanted to tell him about the offer face to face before Skysports broke the news.

Driving to the training ground though, I received a call ... It was Mike ...

View attachment 207531

****** ****, he must have heard!!

Mike Ashley - Patrick, what the ******* **** is this I'm hearing about Milan?

Patrick Vieira - Mike, I'm coming to the training ground now to talk to you.

Mike Ashley - Don't bullshit me son! It's in every ****** newspaper going that you've accepted the Milan job! How could you?

Patrick Vieira - I haven't accepted it yet Mike! Look I'll be honest, Milan have offered me a very good deal and want a decision from me today. I haven't said yes or no yet though.

Mike Ashley - What's it going to take to keep you here?

Patrick Vieira - I don't think anything would. I just can't turn down Milan! It's such a good move for me Mike, surely you can see that.

Mike Ashley - Fine! Just make sure you never step foot in this football club again. You should be showing me more respect, I gave you your chance, without me you'd be nothing.

Patrick Vieira - Mike ...

The phone went dead.

Well, I guess that's that.

I don't really have a choice but to choice Milan now. I don't think Newcastle could have offered me anything to stay, it's not about the money but the chance to win silverware and titles. I've a much better chance of doing that at Milan than Newcastle.

View attachment 207530

After speaking with Mike Ashley, I immediately accepted the offer from Milan and became their next manager!

I couldn't wait to get started and see what job I was in for.​

Back