PES 2010 (Pro Evolution Soccer 2010)

• Thread starter Thread starter JP Woody
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 388
  • Views Views 64K
PES Productions, the Tokyo-based development team, is setting out to make this the most realistic football simulation available, with player feedback a key part of the process. "We have been monitoring feedback and comments on the progression of the PES series for some time now, and PES 2010 will see us implementing a great deal of the ideas players have been requesting," commented Naoya Hatsumi, Producer for PES Productions at Konami Digital Entertainment Japan. "We aim to make PES 2010 a more user-friendly, immediate experience that places the emphasis on getting straight into the gameplay for which the series is famed. PES 2010 will look better, will play better, and will recreate real football as closely as the current hardware will allow."

The team has expanded for development of PES 2010, with the creation of a number of dedicated departments focused on different aspects of the game, such as online. The key additions/changes to the game are:

• Gameplay: "PES 2010 focuses on enhancing the excitement of matches between players, making for a truly challenging experience that will constantly test the player. Intuitive zonal defending will cover spaces and players need to look constantly for new ways to attack. PES 2010 focuses on being a real football simulation, as it requires both strategic play and quick reactions, as in real life. In addition to key out-field elements, goalkeepers are more versatile and with abilities matching those of modern shot-stoppers. The game's referees have also been reworked, with smarter AI elements allowing them to make more balanced calls during matches."
  • Improved Visuals: "PES 2010 has undergone a major visual revamp, with its celebrated player likenesses and animations now even closer to those of real-life players – including live player expressions to be depicted with an improved lighting system which differentiates between various conditions! Stadium detail is also massively improved, with the grass and other in-stadium elements finely depicted."
  • All-new Animations and Moves: "Animations now dovetail into each other seamlessly, with dribbling and shots on goals worked into dribbling animations. More individual skills are also on show, including new flicks and tricks that have a definite showing on the way a game flows. Several elements have been completely reworked, with the dribbling, turning and kicking animations greatly enhanced, while there is a noticeable change in pace when a player passes a ball from a standing position than from within a run."
  • Enhanced Master League: "Master League has been thoroughly renewed with the enhancement of managerial aspects, which enables users to enjoy managing a team for a longer career lifespan. Seen by many as a key contributor to the series' success, the Master League elements in PES 2010 have been bolstered by far-ranging and vital new additions, dedicated to enriching the mode."
  • AI: "The Tokyo team has worked to improve the AI of the game, with Teamvision 2.0 implemented. Midfielders and defenders now work together to cover open space and close down attacks, meaning that cover can be provided for lower-ranked defenders. This also has the additional effect of removing soft goals, thus returning PES 2010 to its simulation roots. In terms of attacking, players can also now move several players (at) once, sending them into different areas, opening up more goal-scoring possibilities than ever before. As such, PES 2010 necessitates a new level of control from the player. Strategic thinking is as important as quick passing, but the new system greatly opens the way the player oversees control of the team. In free kick scenarios, for instance, players can now instigate the runs of the players awaiting the ball in the penalty area."
  • Individual Play Characteristics: "In previous PES games, the team formation has determined the movements of the players. PES 2010 introduces a new system wherein the individual attacking and defending nature of the players is integral to the way they play. Each player enjoys unique AI tied into their best abilities, and is reflected in the actions of their team mates – i.e. if a player who is known to be a good crosser of the ball is in possession, more players will flood the penalty area to receive it. Similarly, if a player is known to be good with close control, defenders will work to cover their stronger side, while lone strikers will be automatically supported by midfielders on receipt of the ball."
  • Strategy Use: "A new power gauge system allows users to balance their strategy in a quick, but wide-ranging way before a match. Every element – pass frequency, movement, the line of defence, width of play, or the position of the front line – can be altered to match those of a favoured club: Juventus Turin are a dangerous side on the counter-attack, for instance, while FC Barcelona use width in their attack. These formulations can be altered at any point, too, with Home and Away matches forcing different circumstances on the user, as does the rigours of a Master League season."
  • Enhanced Online: "A new dedicated section of the Tokyo team is committed to improving the online side of PES 2010. More downloadable content is also planned. Konami has supported PES 2009 with the release of new licensed teams, transfer updates, etc, and this support will grow for PES 2010. Team and content updates are planned throughout the game's lifespan. These will make the game even more bespoke to the player's match day needs."
  • Match-Day Atmosphere: "Crowd reactions to the on-field action are now more varied, with all new chants and cheers. The subtle difference between Home and Away matches will be reproduced, and the crowd will react spontaneously to specific situations in a game, showing their disdain or pleasure as fouls are committed and goals scored. Likewise, the commentary has been altered to offer a fresher, more concise overview of the game."
  • Penalties: "An all-new system has been implemented, offering greater control, placing and accuracy."
  • Exclusive Europa League License: "Konami has strengthened its relationship with UEFA and can announce it has secured the exclusive video game rights for the Europa League Licence (formerly known as the UEFA Cup). In addition Konami will be enhancing and developing the use of the UEFA Champions League within PES 2010 to make even better use of the best club football competition in the world.

Hopefully after my years of waiting Hearts will finally be on pes and i can die happy

PES 2010:
The following leagues are partially licensed:
Barclays Premier League
Liga BBVA
Serie A
First La Liga in 2009 and now serie A is not totally licensed in PES 2010

Looks great....threads like this annoy me because i get little previews and it makes me eager to play the new game :(

Great news for people who play Pro Evo on the Wii, Konami has said that Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 for Wii will be released this autumn soon after versions for PC, PS2, PS3, PSP and Xbox 360 instead of the usual few months later.
The Wii version introduces subtler controls for fine-tuning play and making strategic decisions, with the option to perform "AI feints", and make your own decisions about where to close down attackers.
Konami has also made it harder to abuse the sprint button, promising to reduce players' balance and ball control skills if you fail to respect their stamina rating and don't give them enough time to recover.
Elsewhere, there's a new free-kick system, which allows for swerve and additional pace depending on the kicker's abilities, and on the defensive side it will be possible to defend free kicks by moving the keeper earlier.
On top of that we're promised the usual animation updates, including players signalling they want the ball, and in game mode terms all the usual suspects return including the licensed UEFA Champions League.
Although PES Wii supports traditional pad controls, the sub-series rose to fame in 2008 with its pointer-based input system, which allowed gamers to direct multiple players at once and perform feats beyond the scope of direct one-player control.

PES 2010:
The following leagues are partially licensed:
Barclays Premier League
Liga BBVA
Serie A
First La Liga in 2009 and now serie A is not totally licensed in PES 2010

serie a and liga bbva are FULLY licensed. so is the bundesliga and the dutch league. man u and liverpool + currently unknown other prem sides will be licensed. more licensed national teams are promised too. all teams in the europa league and champions league are licensed. as pics in psm3 magazine suggest, the graphics will be STUNNING this year. with riberys scar being so sickeningly lifelike its mesmerizing.
the new card system has been thoroughly beta tested, along with tactical sliders. (eg width, use a slider to play a really narrow game or spread it out to the touchline, or keep it balanced.) 'cards' are an update on the star abilities that some players posses, eg one on ones, post player, one touch passer etc. some of the new cards can be turned on or off. eg gerrard is a free roamer, meaning he has license to do his own thing in the final third, neglecting his defensive duties. however if u have a narrow lead, or need to keep a tight midfield shape agaisnt a good opponent then this card can be turned off. there are others like overlap (for full backs, if turned on, full back bombs on and supports winger, neglecting defense. if turned off, full back takes up a more balanced defenseive role)

less reliance on speedy dribblers (ronaldo, kaka, messi etc) to win games for you. ie less 60 yard dribbles beating 7 men followed by slotting home a 1one1. more passing thru midfield and build up play required to move defences around and catch them out of postion. you need to use a players abilities in ways other than dribble round everyone, ie use a good dribbler to move an opponent slightly to create half a yard to shoot/pass. basically even the likes of messi will only be able to skip past 2 or 3 men before being clodsed down and tackled, and if you try it with albert riera then good luck... crossing will be hard unless your player is a very good crosser, ie just becasue you have skipped past the full back and youre in a bit of space doesnt mean your cross will land on the forehead of your centre forward (as in real life, aaron lennon cannot cross to save his life) and even when standing still crosses can be warward.
good passers will be the only players able to ping pinpoint 60 yard passes. ie titus bramble will only be able to hoof it innacurately or make a short pass to a nearby teamamte. thru balls will be almost ineffective unless you ahve a top top passer, eg pirlo, becks, gerrard, xavi, riquelme etc.

there is also a return of the long range screamer (although not in the arcadey style of fifa.) your not gonna score one every game, but it will be easier with plyaers like gerrard, ronaldo etc. free kicks have also been totally revamped (i have scored 3 in my pes 2009 career, so it wants to be revamped!!) less random AI decisions, ie fellow defenders diving in when you arent controlling them. better goalies, looped headers, 'fairer refs??' new tricks and hidden skills. new boots/hair/faces etc in editor. also gone are the annoying pitches which hurt your eyes, lush grass all the way.

a guy i know is half japanes and spends a lot of time in japan. he got a job as a pes tester a few years back and is on the team that got the first go on 2010. hes not actually that good a pes player as he doesnt spend too long playin full matches, ie 4 hours of taking corners, 3 hours of throw ins, free kicks etc. but he says the 1st version of the new match engine is absolutly sick, easy to pick up, hard to master and very rewarding to players (like me) who play the game like real football, ie passing it about, pulling defences this way and that, creating space. counter attacks etc. not just relying on messi. (konami must be proud of it as they have already given the major magazines a hands on gameplay session) the cards system and the new tactical sliders can completely overhaul the way you play.
for example if you set your team up to be a tight knit tactical unit, with a couple of flair players, ie liverpool, then trying to play expansive flowing football wont work. you wll get outnumbered in the final third and tackled easily. however if you slow the game down and pass it about looking for a gap for torres or gerrard to exploit then you will have more succes. however teams like barca come set up to play expansive flowing games with quick attacks and less emphasis on defence. so trying to pass it around slowly may see you full backs bomb on early and if you are tackled you may be left short at the back for example.

you will be rewarded by keeping it tight and relying on the big players for a touch of magic in the final third, ie a fient, dummy, trick or swerve on the ball from rooney moves his defender slightly to create half a yard for him to slot home or pass it to a team mate for a tap in. trying the same thing wth paul scharner might get your defender to move slightly but you are unlikely to be able to slot it into the net.

they still have 3 months to tweak it, but my friend reckons it will rinse fifa this year and many of the ''die hards'' who left pes for fifa after years of loyalty will come back. konami are also going to be using dedicated sony servers to ensure smooth online play. also a champions league online mode will be implemented, im yet to see what both of these mean and if they will be effective.

all this adds up to mean you cant just give it to messi on the halfway line and expect a goal. this is a particular problem online, with most opponents i come up against choosing barca or manu and constantly passing the ball to ronaldo or messi and trying to walk it into the net. they have no plan b or ability to keep the ball and be patient with it, probing passes, pulling opponents back and forth until they are caught out of positon etc. i personally never play as manu barca or ac milan online, just to prove to my opponents that i can beat them without relying on a speed dribbler. my passing game and counter attack style usually sees me win. i am usually juventus as i really like amuari. milberto_carlos is my game id if you fancy a game. i am usually in the ximelez server room 13.

sorry for any repitition or babbling. im just very excited about pes 2010!!!

The only negative thing ive heard so far is its still not going to make full use of the analog stick and is still going to have 8 directions instead of 16.Come on Konami,get with the times will you.

They need to support 16-directional movement or they've already lost out to FIFA for 2010.

They're sticking with 8 way movement. What a dissapointment.

"One thing Konami cannot do anything about this year is FIFA's evolution to full 360-degree control. PES sticks resolutely to the traditional eight-way model."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pes-2010-pro-evolution-soccer-hands-on

Apparantly in FIFA 10 they will have '360-degree control'.

"Rutter's right about 360-degree control. Having the full range of movement at your disposal is subtle, yes, but offers a distinct, refreshing sense of liberty. Which, yes, only truly becomes apparent when I return to 09. Critically, it just feels right. And the bulletpoint "freedom in physical play" the game is said to offer evolves from this."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fifa-10-july-hands-on

**hot news from my man in japan.**

konami have 360 control on the 2nd coding of the pes 2010 match engine. according to my friend the top brass are currently weighig up whether to include it in pes 2010 or thoroughly test it and wait for pes 2011. apaprantly they are being urged by everyone to include it in 2010. judging by reviews of the early previews of pes and fifa, everyone is loving 360 control on fifa, so my instinct is knoami will take a chance on it

lets hope.

edit. not sure if im confusing 16 way control with 360 or if they are the same thing...?

but in the email i got it said konami are toying around with 360 control making full use of the analog stick..

Last edited:
full control over player direction with the analog stick. rather than just up down left right and limited diaganol movmeents when dribbling, you can use subtle adjusts with the nanlog stik to change course slightly. makes dribbling more realistic

**hot news from my man in japan.**

konami have 360 control on the 2nd coding of the pes 2010 match engine. according to my friend the top brass are currently weighig up whether to include it in pes 2010 or thoroughly test it and wait for pes 2011. apaprantly they are being urged by everyone to include it in 2010. judging by reviews of the early previews of pes and fifa, everyone is loving 360 control on fifa, so my instinct is knoami will take a chance on it

lets hope.

edit. not sure if im confusing 16 way control with 360 or if they are the same thing...?

but in the email i got it said konami are toying around with 360 control making full use of the analog stick..

I doubt they will include 360 degree controls in 2010 they haven't managed 16-way control yet. Hopefully they do improve on the 8-way system though as it limits things far too much.

I doubt they will include 360 degree controls in 2010 they haven't managed 16-way control yet. Hopefully they do improve on the 8-way system though as it limits things far too much.

i did think 360 and 16way were different. his email was very hurried, but did mention 360 control. his team test things first so he may very well be testing stuff they plan to implement in pes 2011. but the developers are being urged to include it in 2010 if possible. i just worry that a rushed rollout of something this big and different may be bug ridden and require regualr patching. as far as i can tell, researching around reviews and from his rushed email there ill deffo be 16way control which will be a good start, especially if the other changes in terms of gameplay are as different and as good as described.

You go on about the tactics, and how uber l33tsauce they will be. But when push comes to shove, I'll just get Cristiano Ronaldo to dribble up and down the pitch like I do on this version to give myself a laugh and then score. I felt last year, Pes was a comedy game. Gameplay was pants. It just was. GRaphics were good, but nothing compared to Fifa. And the movement of the players was stiff, crooked and old. They seemed somewhat wooden. And I'm sorry, but PES isn't that great anymore; and I doubt these uber l33t awesomeness changes you claim will make a difference.

all the official reviews out there at the moment (playstation 3 magazine being the most comprehensive) back up my friends claim about the tactical overhaul. so no, unless you have the fastest thumbs the world has ever seen you wont just saunter up the wing with ronaldo. you may do it occasionally, but u wont be scoring for fun like on pes 2009.

fifa is too easy, ive played it once against a hardcore fifa fan, won 3-0, simple. im a football purist and pes is the only option for me. im not getting into an argument with you just stating my opinion.

CHANGES TO MASTER LEAGUE<O></O>

<O></O>

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has outlined significant advances to the Master League section of its forthcoming PES 2010 title.<O></O>
Master League has proven one of the key attributes to the PES series’ longevity, and PES 2010 will introduce a number of new elements that will contribute to the overall realism and lasting appeal of the new game.
<O></O>
On selecting the Master League option, players are now presented with a menu split into three areas: ‘Club House’, ‘Stadium Walk’, and ‘Office’. Each of these is an umbrella for different parts of a manager’s role, with ‘Club House’ used for tactical and match day options, ‘Stadium Walk’ for main game settings, and ‘Office’ for scouting and player acquisition dealings.
<O></O>
The in-game menus are now much simpler to navigate, and players can jump between the three areas with ease. The Club House element has also seen the creation of an all-new Youth Team section, which works alongside the first team squad. As the game progresses, the player can opt to invest in talented members of their youth team to fast-track their development. This burgeoning talent can then be introduced into the first team, as with so many real-life ‘academies.’
<O></O>
The Office area is where all transfer and financial dealings take place. Real currency is now used in PES 2010, and additional monetary routes are also available. Sponsorships can now be negotiated, with player securing big money deals with companies that can be used to invest in the team and youth set-up. Results on field affect the direct value of the club tio interested parties, and fan clubs are also used as a barometer of the club’s success.

Last edited:
sposnorship stuff sounds a bit gimmicky and rather like lma manager. but youth team seems cool. im still most excited about the first completely new match engine since pes 6.

the layout looks pretty cool though

anything is better than pes 2009. i might not even buy it. its really rubbish now. fifa is miles better.

Back