PFA Awards

Joss

Reaction score
Gareth Bale is fourth Welshman to win PFA player of the year award
• Tottenham winger follows Rush, Hughes and Giggs
• Jack Wilshere wins young player of the year award

Tottenham's Gareth Bale has been named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year. The 21-year-old beat six other players to the vaunted award and becomes the fourth Welshman to be honoured, after Ian Rush, Mark Hughes and Ryan Giggs.

"I am more than delighted, really," he said. "It is a massive award and it is a great honour to receive, especially from other fellow professionals. It is an honour, really, when you look at the names that have won it before and it just makes you go 'wow'.

"There haven't been too many Welshman to have won the trophy but it is great and it is great for me personally. And it is not just for me, it is for all my team-mates that have helped me through the season and it is kind of for everyone, really."

Bale endured a tumultuous beginning to life at White Hart Lane following his move from Southampton, with his first year punctuated by injuries and an inability to secure a first-team starting spot. However, the winger's turnaround in fortunes has been nothing short of spectacular and he says he never doubted his ability to reach the top.

"I think it is due to a bit of everything, really," he added. "At the beginning I wasn't really playing much and I always believed in myself that, if I did get a run in the team – which I eventually did – that I would be able to prove what I can do." That did happen and I kind of never really looked back from there."Playing in a good team with good players definitely helped me a lot and all the boys have been fantastic, the manager has been fantastic, giving me my chance, and it is something I want to improve on."

Bale's manager, Harry Redknapp was delighted at the news. "It is a great award for him to win and I could not be more pleased," said Redknapp. "There were plenty of people that could have won it. Listen, you look at the people that have won it for Gareth to have won it at such a young age it must be the proudest moment of his life. It is incredible.

"He has been brilliant, I am really pleased for him and he is a nice lad, which is the most important thing."

The other six players nominated for the award were Charlie Adam, Samir Nasri, Scott Parker, Carlos Tevez, Rafael van der Vaart and Nemanja Vidic.

Bale was also nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year but that award went to Jack Wilshere of Arsenal. The 19-year-old has attracted plaudits from fans and pundits alike for his performances this season, in which he has established himself as a key player for England.

"It is my first full season and it is a massive award, especially from my fellow players," he said. "It is amazing. I am very proud to be the fifth recipient from Arsenal, it is good to keep this history going. Arsenal is a good club for bringing youngsters through and they keep proving it so I would like to thank the manager as well. I am delighted just to be in the team."

Gareth Bale is fourth Welshman to win PFA player of the year award | Football | The Guardian

So the awards are as follows:

PFA Player of the Year (Overall) - Gareth Bale

PFA Young Player of the Year - Jack Wilshere

PFA Team of the Year:

Van Der Sar, Sagna, Cole, Vidic, Kompany, Nani, Nasri, Wilshere, Bale, Tevez, Berbatov.

Van Der Sar

Sagna - Vidic - Kompany - A. Cole

Nani - Nasri - Wilshere - Bale

Berbatov - Tevez​

Not a huge amount of qualms from me... I don't think Bale is deserving of the Overall award (I think Tevez perhaps does) and it's strange that despite winning that, he was pipped by Jack Wilshere to the Young POTY (Does that mean Wilshere's a better player overall? ;))

Team of the year is pretty much how I'd have it. Certainly the back 5 and the front 2 have been outstanding.

So - Thoughts? Qualms? Replacements?

Last edited:
They are confirmed SSN just covered it

pleased for Jack !

It's a joke that Bale got player of the year imo. The media has went crazy over him because of 2 matches in European football. He only has 3 assists and 7 goals in the league this season, for comparison Nolan has 2 assists and 12 goals. Not saying Nolan should win it though, I'd give it to either Tevez (19G, 6A) or Nani (7G, 18A).

also that team would walk the PL i think :) pleased to see Sagna, Jack and Nasri in TOY

Van Der Sar

Sagna - Vidic - Kompany - A. Cole

Nani - Nasri - Wilshere - Bale

Berbatov - Tevez​

Bale shouldnt have won it, Modric not being in the team is an epic joke, should be there over nasri

Ridiculous, he has not been the best PL player this year , not even in the top 10 for me although I have to agree with Wilshere

EDIT: PFA team pretty good though, this would be mine:

Van Der Sar

Sagna - Vidic - Kompany - Baines

Parker - Modric - Wilshere - Nani

Berbatov - Tevez​

P.S i know they're not all right positions but to fit everyone in

Last edited:
For the best team, I'd put Baines or Enrique at left back, and drop Bale, put Nani on the left and Barton on the right.

Last edited:
i thought PFA Player of the Year was for Domestic performance personally, and even still overall Bale shone in 2/3 matches and suddenly he is deserved of an award should have been 1) Tevez 2) Nasri 3) Bale, had Nasri continued his form at the start of the season he would have walked it. Delighted for young Jack to have received the award, and the team of the year is just about spot on, scratch that, IS spot on.

Bale shouldnt have won it, Modric not being in the team is an epic joke, should be there over nasri

I don't know - I'd be inclined to shift Nasri out to the wing, and replace Bale with Modric. Nasri's been more consistent than Bale has this season and has a better record. He's not been scoring recently, but he's still put in a good shift in most of the games and looked dangerous at times today too.

Really? He's been average at best this season

Was struggling to think of a left mid/winger. He's done more than Bale though, was doing well at the start of the season. 10 goals, 5 assists in 28 starts. Probably not a contender for left wing though, you're right.

How did Bale win player of the year but not young player?

Its a farce not even Spurs best player. I think Modric and Dawson have been the most consistant players by far imho from what I have seen.

Even Van der Vaart has had a better season over all, than Bale.

PFA award means nowt, the Football Writer's Award is more realistic and voted for after the season ends. You could find at least 10-20 players who have contributed more than Bale has

Think Nani should have won the POTW.
Well done to Jack Wilshere, he plays like a real pro now and probably the future for England.

Think Parker or Tevez deserved to win the main award but Wilshere deserved the young player without a dout. Very happy Mr Cole has made it in the 11 and imagine if that 11 was actually a side!!