Portugal 23 Man Squad Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
hope so, we're relying on you to do one over brazil so they finish 2nd play and spain :p. though if you finish 2nd, you'll likely play spain, which would be another awesome game. so many good games on your side of the draw

It's weird this year.. If we come second we play Spain and Whoever comes first plays Spains second place.. But then we could get brazil again in the quarters then Italy then England/Argentina/Germany in the final if there are no shocks..

Sam.. Ivory Coast are strong but them without Drogba is like Barca without Xavi.. Completely different team.

To be fair, this is as close to the best possible squad as it could get. Obviously there are always some rather peculiar choices. The 3rd keeper seems to be Queiroz´s favorite player, although there are probably a handful of portuguese keepers that are better than him. Hopefully won´t make much of a difference though as he´s only 3rd choice. Moutinho and for me also Manuel Fernandes are among the players that should´ve been called up.
Regarding the lack of strikers in the final squad... well there aren´t really many decent alternatives. Although i think Makukula should´ve been given a chance, as he scored 21 goals in 30 mathces this season.

Nani has just been ruled out of the World Cup.. GUTTED!

Ricardo was Scolari first choice keeper, from 2004 until 2008. However, when Queiroz took charge the keeper he chose was Quim, from Benfica. However, in November 2008, in a friendly against Brazil, which we lost 6-2, Queiroz blamed Quim for the result instead of admitting he doesn't fit the job and is only there because our federation chairman is sleeping. Then he started calling Eduardo, Braga GK, who is one of the responsables for his team fantastic season (finished 2nd 5 points after Benfica)

Cool thanks, needed to know that as I always support Portugal when Ireland don't qualify for competitions (So I support Portugal in every competition lol)

Nani has just been ruled out of the World Cup.. GUTTED!

Holy ****, First it was list of Chelsea players, now United. Gutted to say the least. I was hoping for a good WC considering the form he was in. Day by Day losing the interest on WC.:mad:

I heard he re-dislocated his shoulder after doing an acrobatic shot..

He dislocated it during the season with United and he's done it again..

Hopefully we'll call up Moutinho now and send Danny out wide rather than playing him centrally..

Benfica midfielder Ruben Amorim will replace Nani in Portugal's World Cup squad, the Portuguese Football Federation has confirmed.

Benfica midfielder Ruben Amorim will replace Nani in Portugal's World Cup squad, the Portuguese Football Federation has confirmed.

What a joke, how can't they take Moutinho..

Why the **** have they picked Amorim!!

He's not even a winger! :mad:

He's defensive as well!! :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Well if you recognise the players you'd know that apart from the obvious omission of Moutinho that's probably the strongest squad we could have named in terms of talent and experience.

that still doesnt mean it isnt Weak. Just becuase it was the best, doesnt mean it is a strong squad. In terms of Portugal word standing, it is a poor squad.

Quieroz obviously has fallen out with him to not pick him even after an injury.. it's just being kept quiet so that the team can focus on the World Cup and not the press.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

that still doesnt mean it isnt Weak. Just becuase it was the best, doesnt mean it is a strong squad. In terms of Portugal word standing, it is a poor squad.

I disagree with you Scott, but we'll agree to disagree.

Goddamit.. i really wanted Nani to outshine Ronaldo this worldcup and show how much of a class player he is.. i'm so annoyed now :\ he's my favourite player and his form goes back down after this injury i'll be ludicrous >.<

Compared to a few world cups ago when they had likes of Figo etc it's a little bit weak but they should do okay in the competition, dont expect nothin' special though.

Obviously it's weaker than it has been before, with the likes of Figo, Rui Costa all retired, but this squad is strong and we could cause a few upsets.

Why the **** have they picked Amorim!!

He's not even a winger! :mad:

He's defensive as well!! :mad: :mad:

Yes, Ruben Amorim played all the season as RB, but we can't forget that his natural position is CM/RM. However, and even supporting Benfica, I have to agree that he is not the best choice to back Nani, Maybe Carlos Martins, who did a fantastic season, would be the best choice, however, the Queiroz poor decisions put him out of the 30 players who can play in the World Cup (see OP). But with the choices we have, Moutinho was, without any doubt, the best choice to this place.

Exactly, another poor decision from Queiroz!

He really needs to stick to being an assistant.
We should get Scolari back! :D

Exactly, another poor decision from Queiroz!

He really needs to stick to being an assistant.
We should get Scolari back! :D

Scolari or any other coach, I get happy enough if he leaves (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.