Possession Break is unbeatable?! please enter and try help!

Mrmuto

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
First i wanna say im a fan of the possession football philosophy and i dont care of who..possession is my favourite style and when i play withou possession i feel im doing nothing.
since i started play fm 2013 this year i tried desperately create a possession tactic and find good ones or maybe read a lot. i tried it since i play FM.
so when the game started i understood this is really hard to get a dominating possession tactic so i waited till the game will update and maybe it will be fixed.
as you saw in the title of this thread i mentioned the possession break tactic of the genius tactikzzz from FMTN.
i tried it after every update to see if it works and tweaked it.
after the last update (13.2.1) i saw it works very good. i tried it with H.beer sheva from the israelian league and with ajax. it worked great. but i conceeded a lot of goals and even the passes thing wasnt so fascinating. so i tweaked it a little and it just started to work great. i got like 70%+ possession every game and the passes are on fire!
my playmaker passes the 120 mark every game no matter the player quality! and even better i conceeded less goals. but, the problem was my team just can't score and its very difficult for them to make chances to score.
another problem is that when i face a much stronger opposition than me my team can't make chances and worse, cant even make passes in their half.
i'm sure that it has to be an answer how to fix it. because yes maybe you will say that i need to have the special players to play like this. but it isnt true because against all teams that aren't stronger than me i dominate possession and win. only agains a much stronger team im defeated.
i'll post to you some screenshots for you to see how it worked and maybe something you will see that i didnt can help me.
View attachment 294550
View attachment 294551
this was a game against veendam.
poulsen have broken the analysis as you can see and passed the 256 passes in one game.
the team made over 1400 passes in 120 minutes.
in this game we lost in penalty but we had 18 chances and they had just 4.
the possession was 75% and we had to beat them because we played great.

now against TWENTE that is more or less in our level.
View attachment 294539
poulsen reached more than 220 passes in this game but still as i sayed the scoreline was 0-0 and we created less chances than TWENTE.

against PSV
View attachment 294542
we dominated the possession in this game too but still 2-1 to the opposition.
and the chances were poor.

View attachment 294544
this is against a poor opposition in pre season when the tactic familiarity was in the start.

so, this is it. hope you will try to help me and tell me what will help the tactic be more dominating.
by the way sorry for my bad english its not my mother tongue.
thanks everyone for watching' hope you read it all and please try to help me and comment.

HI EVERYONE!!
I tried to test again the tactic. the original one..and saw great resault. I would like to open again this thread to call people to try it. I think the biggest problem was the defence with three at the back. But now with a few patches I think a lot of bugs have been fixed and it's more suitable to FM 2013.
I would like to call again some people that want to try it and post some resaults. i'll post too some SS.

Last edited:
you kind of answered yourself..

it's only against the much stronger opposition that you seem to lose. you will need to use a different tactic against the much stronger teams in order to compensate for the difference in class between the players.

you kind of answered yourself..

it's only against the much stronger opposition that you seem to lose. you will need to use a different tactic against the much stronger teams in order to compensate for the difference in class between the players.

i really can change a tactic against stronger opposition but, i think that it deserves a chance to try and tweak it to get a good results even against much stronger opposition.

You need to get the possession and more passes into the oppositions box looking at the FC Twente game, the whole pitch it full of green circles and there is none in their box. Therefore your players are more likely to be having long shots instead of shots inside of the box.

You need to get the possession and more passes into the oppositions box looking at the FC Twente game, the whole pitch it full of green circles and there is none in their box. Therefore your players are more likely to be having long shots instead of shots inside of the box.

it's true..and i saw it and tried do it but it didnt work i conceeded more goals and lost possession.

One problem I found with possession tactics in fm12(haven't really tried for fm13) was that if you went behind 1st it could be very difficult to get back infront if you carried on with the possession style, after all maintaining possession would usually go hand in hand with controlling a game as opposed to an attacking style which would indicate your trying to score goals.
Also if your the lower ranked team trying to play possession against a team with players better than yours and they are doing the same thing then likelihood is that you will come off worse
I used possession break for ages in fm12 but it got boring.

Well in fm13 getting the right tactics is hard. I mean I have been trying to crack the perfect tactic with possession and goals.. now in my tactic i get about 20-30 shots per game and 10-15 on target and my possession stays in between 60-70% per game, now because of this the players are just focusing on playing the ball around and not really as much of scoring if that makes sense. So in fm13 possession tactics will make you score less which is common sense really, just playing the ball round wont get you alot of goals. So using possession tactics in fm13 wont get you anywhere really unless your a really good team like Barcelona, Manchester City etc etc

One problem I found with possession tactics in fm12(haven't really tried for fm13) was that if you went behind 1st it could be very difficult to get back infront if you carried on with the possession style, after all maintaining possession would usually go hand in hand with controlling a game as opposed to an attacking style which would indicate your trying to score goals.
Also if your the lower ranked team trying to play possession against a team with players better than yours and they are doing the same thing then likelihood is that you will come off worse
I used possession break for ages in fm12 but it got boring.

it's not always true because when the players controll the ball they cannot just control it they surely would try to score.
i remember a lot of games in fm12 with this tactic and i get back for even against 2 goals and won.

it's not always true because when the players controll the ball they cannot just control it they surely would try to score.
i remember a lot of games in fm12 with this tactic and i get back for even against 2 goals and won.

Yeah it's not always true most of the time I would 1-0 ever now and then a 3-0 or 4-0 would happen, bit most of the time 1-0 or 0-0, in the end I made an attacking version of the tactic and when I scored I switched to possession break.
In the end I stopped using it because 800 total passes and 2 key passes is actually shockingly poor!
300 passes and 10 key is much better (IMO).

Well in fm13 getting the right tactics is hard. I mean I have been trying to crack the perfect tactic with possession and goals.. now in my tactic i get about 20-30 shots per game and 10-15 on target and my possession stays in between 60-70% per game, now because of this the players are just focusing on playing the ball around and not really as much of scoring if that makes sense. So in fm13 possession tactics will make you score less which is common sense really, just playing the ball round wont get you alot of goals. So using possession tactics in fm13 wont get you anywhere really unless your a really good team like Barcelona, Manchester City etc etc

im not looking to trash every team with a 5-0 or something like that.
i just want to get possession and still score goals because i think it deserves it.
with which club you tried it?

Yeah it's not always true most of the time I would 1-0 ever now and then a 3-0 or 4-0 would happen, bit most of the time 1-0 or 0-0, in the end I made an attacking version of the tactic and when I scored I switched to possession break.
In the end I stopped using it because 800 total passes and 2 key passes is actually shockingly poor!
300 passes and 10 key is much better (IMO).

it's everyone and what he thinks and loves most..it's a deal of choice

yea guys it's a classic one..
FMTN Possession Break TWEAK.tac
i got just one request..if you got good results post me it and if your'e secceeding with tweaking it and make it better just upload and send me..
THX ;)

any comments?

Yes i have, and i have been posting on the wrong thread :D

So, i have began studying it and the changes that i believe that need to be made are:

- Changing the mentality one or 2 notches until it's normal and not so defensive
- Thick "counter attack". You are not always with the ball and if you catch your opponent with the back uncovered you need to use that in your favour
- Using 1 CB and 3 DMCs against a team like City will rip you apart. Maybe consider putting one more CB and using the FBs more
- Pressing is only half the pitch, combined with the defensive mentality will make your team just pass the ball, on your half, not getting CCCs and having the issue of losing the ball near your box.

After this, you may think that a new tactic should be done, but i disagree. After the new year i will have smoe spare time and i will try to introduce this on the tactic and test it. meanwhile, i think you should try it and see if you are getting some results. If not, i will try to think on something diferent.

Cheers

PS - I believe that you need to play by both flanks and not by the middle. It's a possession tactic, not BoringBarca

Ok bud i'll try it..if you got time try to tweak it as you want and see if it really works.
THX for helping!