Possession Break is unbeatable?! please enter and try help!

Yes i have, and i have been posting on the wrong thread :D

So, i have began studying it and the changes that i believe that need to be made are:

- Changing the mentality one or 2 notches until it's normal and not so defensive
- Thick "counter attack". You are not always with the ball and if you catch your opponent with the back uncovered you need to use that in your favour
- Using 1 CB and 3 DMCs against a team like City will rip you apart. Maybe consider putting one more CB and using the FBs more
- Pressing is only half the pitch, combined with the defensive mentality will make your team just pass the ball, on your half, not getting CCCs and having the issue of losing the ball near your box.

After this, you may think that a new tactic should be done, but i disagree. After the new year i will have smoe spare time and i will try to introduce this on the tactic and test it. meanwhile, i think you should try it and see if you are getting some results. If not, i will try to think on something diferent.

Cheers

PS - I believe that you need to play by both flanks and not by the middle. It's a possession tactic, not BoringBarca

umm i tried to change the things you said will optionaly do the trick but it actually just awfull..first, the pressure all up the field cause my team conceed more goals even than before..and the mentality doesn't helping it.
and the passes threw flanks just caused us all of the possession. now im just destroyed by the opposition.
i'll tell you something that maybe will help..all the goals i conceed are just from the flanks and corners..just crosses and crosses.
maybe something ill change will help it.
and when i put the passing direction to mixed it helps by decreasing their passing in flanks.

any comments?
I tried with AFC Ajax works well, the tweaks I made was when assistant manager match feed back during the game ie when he suggest more direct then I move slider up a bit to direct passing etc.

I tried with AFC Ajax works well, the tweaks I made was when assistant manager match feed back during the game ie when he suggest more direct then I move slider up a bit to direct passing etc.

it worked also agains bigger teams? because when i tried it against juve they ripped me up.

it worked also agains bigger teams? because when i tried it against juve they ripped me up.
It did for me, I Qualified top of group stage in champions league (sorry champions cup). Listening and reading what other people have said, you do need listen to your assistant manager advice and have a couple back up formations to change to, either to start with or change during game?. Can't tell what happen completely in my first season, got bored and deleted game!, after January transfer window, sold to many squad players left myself to short in depth!. I'm going to try to copy the tactic (FMTN Possession break) back from classic style to normal style, and see if it works even better with using the touchline shouts to tweak tactic during the match?. I will let you know if it works?.

It did for me, I Qualified top of group stage in champions league (sorry champions cup). Listening and reading what other people have said, you do need listen to your assistant manager advice and have a couple back up formations to change to, either to start with or change during game?. Can't tell what happen completely in my first season, got bored and deleted game!, after January transfer window, sold to many squad players left myself to short in depth!. I'm going to try to copy the tactic (FMTN Possession break) back from classic style to normal style, and see if it works even better with using the touchline shouts to tweak tactic during the match?. I will let you know if it works?.
sure bud why not..iv'e tried this and it's for sure better to play the classic style for a possession tactic..but try if you are up to..

umm i tried to change the things you said will optionaly do the trick but it actually just awfull..first, the pressure all up the field cause my team conceed more goals even than before..and the mentality doesn't helping it.
and the passes threw flanks just caused us all of the possession. now im just destroyed by the opposition.
i'll tell you something that maybe will help..all the goals i conceed are just from the flanks and corners..just crosses and crosses.
maybe something ill change will help it.
and when i put the passing direction to mixed it helps by decreasing their passing in flanks.

The crosses come from the line or form 3/4? Are the FB doing the crosses or the wingers?

That would be great!

The crosses come from the line or form 3/4? Are the FB doing the crosses or the wingers?
The fullbacks often are running to channels and cross dangerous balls..but my defence is helarious i cant understand how they concede such stupid goals..they are looking at the striker smashing the net. Its driving me crazy.

Last edited:
The fullbacks often are running to channels and cross dangerous balls..but my defence is helarious i cant understand how they concede such stupid goals..they are looking at the striker smashing the net. Its driving me crazy.

Is it a problem of pace, decisions, marking, heading or something else?

Maybe you don't have the proper player for the tactic

I find it impossible to really replicate Barca's possession play. I can average 65% for home games, 70% & a bit in a good game, but I'm never happy with the possession play. Wingers & fullbacks are just ridiculous in how they just run & cross everytime they get to the byline. I've managed to tone it down, but they still do it, & I only want them to do it if it's almost a guarenteed clear-cut chance. I've tried the wingers as wide strikers next to the striker, & it stops them crossing somewhat, but it fails to replicate Barca's width, which loads seem to forget about Barca. They use every inch of a pitch with a player always hugging the touchline of each side of the pitch.
It's annoying though, players always take too long on the ball as if they're trying to look for a vertical pass which isn't on, rather than just aim to keep possession.

Is it a problem of pace, decisions, marking, heading or something else?

Maybe you don't have the proper player for the tactic
i dont think so because i tried it with ajax too and even against poor opposition i get this stupid goals

I find it impossible to really replicate Barca's possession play. I can average 65% for home games, 70% & a bit in a good game, but I'm never happy with the possession play. Wingers & fullbacks are just ridiculous in how they just run & cross everytime they get to the byline. I've managed to tone it down, but they still do it, & I only want them to do it if it's almost a guarenteed clear-cut chance. I've tried the wingers as wide strikers next to the striker, & it stops them crossing somewhat, but it fails to replicate Barca's width, which loads seem to forget about Barca. They use every inch of a pitch with a player always hugging the touchline of each side of the pitch.
It's annoying though, players always take too long on the ball as if they're trying to look for a vertical pass which isn't on, rather than just aim to keep possession.
i think it's more than possible to do it..you just need to sit and really get into it for succeeding..
if you have some advice on tweaking it to a better one i would love to hear dude..i think wingers arent so good for possession.

I Don't know if anyone of you? have you tried playing attacking midfielders out on wings. Train them to play in those positions and also use preferred player moves ie plays one twos, plays simple passes and wingers and strikers to come deep in get the ball (so they are involved in game more)?, it help me keep more possession!. Don't forget playing like F.C. Barcelona is hard replicate because yes have a very good team with Xavi & Inestia to control midfield!, But it's Messi that really makes difference when they destroy teams and makes into a world class team without him they just very good team that can be beaten!. When I say a very good, they still best team but like said they can be beaten!. It would be interesting if he left the club or was out injured for long period? how they would cope with out him. So when watch F.C. Barcelona they do occasionally let silly goals in, also don't score a lot of goals against teams when Loniel Messi is not in the team!. Ps Don't be like Arsenal and not have a plan b or c tactic!., teams will work out your tactics and counter act it!.

Last edited:
I'm trying original tactic with Runcorn Linnets in the English North West Counties Premier Division, I will let know if it works. People keep on telling me I can't play possession football in the lower leagues.
i said it dude..i think it is possible just need to really sit until you get it..

i said it dude..i think it is possible just need to really sit until you get it..
First season not a total success using FMTN Possession Break, lacked killer instinct to killer teams off!, didn't change formation or tactic for whole season. But I won the league (North West Counties Premier Division), also I won FA Vase, semi-finalists of the North West Counties Challenge Cup lost on penalties and went out early in 2nd round of West Riding Senior Cup!. Average 65% to 70% on possession in matches, overall match record was P 61 W 35 D 18 L 8 GF 77 GA29 GD 48+ Win Percentage 57% with Runcorn Linnets. But I would say can play possession football at the lower league with inferior players!. I would give you screenshots but I don't know how?.

just use the print screen and copy it to an editing program..
did you changed anything in the tactic?

just use the print screen and copy it to an editing program..
did you changed anything in the tactic?
No I kept the same formation and tactic all season!, not sure if I will keep on playing on this saved game, just lost 90% of first team on free transfers because Runcorn Linnets was a amateur club before the chairman change it in late June to semi-professional. All my players were on amateur contacts, even though we are a semi-pro club now, I have no money to give them semi-pro wages! I also can't sign any decent players either!. About the screenshots, still can't upload them so I deleted them, I'm a bit of novice when it comes to using a computer, also just changed to a new computer and using windows 8 as well!. I've press F12 and saved screenshot, then moved them from steam to my pictures file, then went to my post on FM Base then pressed insert image and tried to upload from my pictures file, but it won't let me upload!.

I've also converted FMTN Possession Break formation & tactic back from classic format!, I've just copied it exactly. I'm going give it a go using it with touchline shouts to see if I get any better results?, because I found I lacked the killer instinct to killer off the opposition during matches!. Maybe using touchline shouts I can change tactics during the game to killer off teams?.

i tried it but i didn't used shouts..
the classic version worked better.