Post your frustrations - FM23 edition

After all my prior whining, I decided enough was enough and ditched my first save. Annoying as I had done well enough in the demo to qualify for CL by the skin of my teeth and built a great side in the summer.

I started a game with the update and glory be, it appears the utterly maddening mistakes have gone. I started with Bristol City, my home town team, and so far, 13 games in, the only mistakes are ones you'd expect to see (defenders switching off, being out muscled off balls etc.).

That being said, there are some issues that are annoying. The deep 3-4-1-2 is an utter nightmare to play against mainly because the opposing team always seems lethal in front of goal. It doesn't matter where they are in the league, their form, their attributes, they will always score on their first counter. Also, every goal I have conceded seems to come from the opposing teams first **** of the game, which is weird.

Keepers still making to many errors in my opinion. This benefits me as well, but the number of times keepers get hands to shots straight at them and still concede is too much.

The 4231, with a DM and SegVol is pretty much the only way to go. In my league Norwich have managed to pull off a 4-1-2-3, but any time I've dropped just one man in the DM the match engine appears to to lose its mind. All players seem unable to preform their roles. IWs turn to Muppets, yet in the high press 4231 they are epic. I have played about with dropping the AM Support into a CMA which seems to work well if you're getting over run in the middle.

Credit where it's due, they do seem to have found a good balance in the update, though I am still baffled as to how they could have have tested the game and let it go out in such a mess. There was clearly something going on in the ME that made human controlled team make unforced errors at least once a game that led to goals.

Anyway, I hope you all restart with the new update and can enjoy the game again! RD

Please, try not to take FM so seriously people! It is a game based solely around mathematics, no more no less. These little stick men are not real people with different personalities who can react in different ways to criticism and encouragement, they are just numbers!! The more 20's, 19's and 18's you have at your club, in all capacities (players and staff), regardless of tactics, training, mentoring, scouting etc etc etc, then the more you will win - end of. That said, please don't tell anyone, especially younger people as it sounds boring!!!

Please, try not to take FM so seriously people! It is a game based solely around mathematics, no more no less. These little stick men are not real people with different personalities who can react in different ways to criticism and encouragement, they are just numbers!! The more 20's, 19's and 18's you have at your club, in all capacities (players and staff), regardless of tactics, training, mentoring, scouting etc etc etc, then the more you will win - end of. That said, please don't tell anyone, especially younger people as it sounds boring!!!
And you really shouldn't be condescending. This is place to vent regarding FM.

I'm gunna list all the stuff that makes this game not only the worst FM of all time, but also the worst management SIM I've ever come across.

1. The mistakes. If there is anyone left who thinks the Match Engine doesn't know the difference between AI and Human controlled teams, they are lying fanboys. The evidence that this isn't the case is because the developer said so. The evidence that it does know is simple and clear. every single game without fail, my CBs or FBs or GK will make a mistake that leads to a goal. And this isn't even bad defending, it's blatant unforced errors that make absolutely zero sense. Interestingly this almost never happens to AI teams, just mine. And it's constant and it appears that player stats make no difference. Playing as Brighton, it is impossible that my choice of Centre Backs, Dunk, Webster, Gabriel and Sutalo would make these errors. They all have excellent mental stats alongside the obviously high defending stats.

2. Tactics and systems. I have tried a variety and I'm yet to find a system I can rely on. Alongside this is the fact that game to game, I've no idea if the players will follow my instructions or not. You are left playing a game whereby you are merely trying to find out how to beat the god awful match engine. This is not how a management SIM should behave. The defenders of FM like to remind us "this stuff happens in IRL" whilst interestingly ignoring that almost every team uses a regular tactic and a variety of these work throughout the league. Finding holes in the match engine to exploit is not how this game should work.

3. Shooting and blocking. As a poster earlier in this thread mentioned, there is very little you can control in this game. Most of this game is data, and thus you have to be able to rely on the stats if players. This is not their case. I have Iheanacho up front and he has 17 in finishing and technique, 16 for off the ball and composure, 15 for determination, and yet he misses ALL the time. I've never seen a striker waste so much 12 yards from goal. A lot of the problem is apparently AI teams defenders seem to be able to stretch their limbs in key areas to magically block shots despite being a yard or two behind the ball. The other biggest problem is that attackers dwell on the ball so much in the box, they often struggle to get shots off, despite yards of space. On the other hand, no matter the skill and stats of the opposition, they are all decisive almost every time.

4. XG is broken. I had an XG versus shots of plus nine. That was plus five more than the team second in this data set. But that makes no sense as I watch comprehensive highlights and I see my team waste great chance after great chance. I don't know how it possible to have the top shots on target, most saved shots and the highest XG to shots stats.

5. Shouts don't work, at all. I once encouraged my team who were one nil up after dominating Chelsea. But Chelsea started to turn the game so I encouraged the lads and they all went to angry red face. Even if encouragement did not work, I doubt that a whole XI would react badly, it makes no sense. Demand more is the only shout that does anything whatsoever.

6. Ludicrous signing bonuses. A player I had agreed to sign for 18 million wouldn't accept anything less than a 7.5 million signing bonus. Not even a top player. Signing new contracts is a nightmare and completely drains finances.

7. Stats mean almost nothing. It's covered above somewhat, but no matter the stats, my players will not do what the stats say they should. This is especially frustrating with keepers. Robert Sanchez is a good keeper and yet he barely makes any saves. In the friendly rage quit, he had 2 shots straight at him that he just refused to save, and this happened all last season. It is crazy to me that a keeper with his stays just can't save anything. Even in games where I somehow find a way to stop the AI creating anything, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll have a random shot and my keeper will just watch it go in.

I'm short, this game is an utter disgrace. Si should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

There has been problems with every FM but I think they have tried to create a game that is for the bottom 10% of the population and 6 year olds. It is crazy that your team is more successful if you give them no instructions at all. Also since when did high tempo translate to long ball ? Long ball (high tempo) with a 424 is totally broken against the AI and when you’re at home to human managers. Wage demands of mediocre players is just astronomical and you can only really have a big discount if you offer them 50% of their sell on. But guess what in 12 months they will want a deal that better reflects their ability and you can not take off the sell on fee!!! Also if you don’t sign a player because his wages will bankrupt your club he will end up signing for another club on half the wages he wanted off you. I understand that the game wants you to have a challenge but it’s in the wrong place. The challenge should be on the pitch. I just think they have made a game that will appeal to console players and I’m going to have to go back to school in my my 40s to learn to code so I can build a better game.

This is the worst fm series ever. The ME is pure **** and it’s disgraceful they release a game knowing it’s not right. Every single game, regardless of opposition or tactic, at least 2 defenders, usually the CB, rating is 6.4 or lower, usually 6.2. GK, irrelevant of player, concedes 99% of shots at them. You have 20 shots, 19 on target, score once of you are lucky. They have 1 shot and score twice!!!!
Away games on average you’ll concede twice anyway!
Goalie constantly giving 6.1 ratings.

your strikers? Hits the post more times than they hit the net.
Tactics? All the ones used that are supposedly meant to be amazing tactics, downloaded.
But as they’re simulated, it doesn’t give a true reflection of the tactic, because if you play it yourself you’ll lose and get a kicking.
This game, simply put, is *****.

This is the worst fm series ever. The ME is pure **** and it’s disgraceful they release a game knowing it’s not right. Every single game, regardless of opposition or tactic, at least 2 defenders, usually the CB, rating is 6.4 or lower, usually 6.2. GK, irrelevant of player, concedes 99% of shots at them. You have 20 shots, 19 on target, score once of you are lucky. They have 1 shot and score twice!!!!
Away games on average you’ll concede twice anyway!
Goalie constantly giving 6.1 ratings.

your strikers? Hits the post more times than they hit the net.
Tactics? All the ones used that are supposedly meant to be amazing tactics, downloaded.
But as they’re simulated, it doesn’t give a true reflection of the tactic, because if you play it yourself you’ll lose and get a kicking.
This game, simply put, is *****.

I think you nailed it with simulation vs playing the game.

If you're simulating a game the stats are completely different from playing a game.

Which is why the tactics uploaded on here all show a striker scoring ridiculous amount of goals, and you might replicate that while simulating a season, i can guarantee you'll never get close playing the games.

The 424 with a higher tempo seems the most stable in my experience as the 2 strikers just are not defendable by the ai,
Floating crosses with a AF and a DLF striker that have good jumping and heading will murder defenses, put on early crosses.

Unfortunately it's the same for your defense, if I'm up against a big tall striker i know I'm conceding 1 or 2 that game

This fm really is a waste of money, nothing works. Players constantly giving 6.2 ratings and passing to nobody. Just been thrashed by Aston Villa and Leicester! Who totally outplayed me! I know what I’m am doing, however the ME is a total disgrace and if they don’t sort it with an update I’ll never buy another FM. I e been around since the cm days of the early nineties and I’ve seen some **** versions, including ones where if you gk gave a rating oof under a 6 then you had to free transfer him as he would never save a shot again! Think that one was cm99, yet this one is far far worse.

Unbenannt.PNG

im crying (im dortmund)

I've long since accepted that this game is not a true to life sim, so the tactics (I use a 4-3-3 even though I would love nothing more than to play a 3-4-3) and instructions I use don't really bother me these days..

What does bother me is teams like St Mirren absolutely dominating games against teams that they have absolutely no right to. A good AI manager even with below average players can get prime Barca like performances.

This sort of thing is so common, are "bad loads" still something that people deny the existence of? played up to the FC United game last night, load up today, changed nothing at all and well you can see whats happened. Its not just as simple as the results - went from conceding 3 in 3 to 7 in 3.

1675262348432.png

Asif to further underline my point above, i saved and quit the game after the Scarborough result, came back an hour or so later, again did not do anything different, same tactic, same team talk types etc etc and suddenly my form turns again
1675267375780.png

Disgrace of a game and a total joke that they charge for it when the ME is so fuxked

Attachments

• 886DA24B-B89A-4928-A93F-2534F1B85AA0.jpeg
    886DA24B-B89A-4928-A93F-2534F1B85AA0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
da..mn that hurts bro, especially since its corner goal which is crazy in this version.