Post your frustrations - FM23 edition

If none of my players have the "doesn't like big game" trait, what is the mechanism in place in the game that seems to not only turn my team into jibbering morons in big games but makes the teams I'm playing form completely change?

I lost to Tottenham in the CL 2nd round 4-0, after beating them 1-0 in the first leg. But prior to the second leg, Spurs had scored one goal in 7 games. Not only did they score four, they had 29 shots to my 2. My team didn't do any of the things they normally do.

I then had Spurs again the next game in the league and lost 3-0. This time they had the same amount of shots but we managed 4. I have the league's 3rd highest possession, Spurs 14th, and yet we managed just 34% of the ball.

We then played West Ham in the QF who are mid table and in decent form. But they dominated me. My technical players literally unable to pass or control the ball, my defenders not following any instructions.

With a home draw with Man It'd (15th in the league, loosing Rooney's first 4 games in charge) we have dropped out of the top four and out of both cups. Seemingly out of nowhere we've not only dropped points (not a problem, it happens) but the team are not playing anything like they've played all season. It is absolutely mental that we all of a sudden seem unable to play the system we've been using for years.
I did a test to see how important "Important Matches" really is, and the results are mixed. It seems really, really random and honestly it didn't really matter that much. If someone's interested, here's the thread for it >> https://fm-base.co.uk/threads/how-i...ttribute-important-matches-experiment.181025/

Here a test for hidden attributes. Seems like Professionalism, Pressure have bigger impact of player performance and their Important Matches are more likely connected to matches like Cup Final etc.

And so it continues

Attachments

• FM'd - 14.jpg
    FM'd - 14.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 141
Also, nothing you do will change the result. You have 20 shots, computer has one, you are one nil down with 60 minutes left and no matter what you do, you lose one nil.

yhis game is the shittest on record and I now give up on the franchise.
The fact being, since cm days, it’s always been one shot one goal for the computer and the ey still haven’t.m fixed it, 30 years on!!!!
Crooks at best

I just go on these horrible runs of losses now, even when playing well and being the better team, I've seen the streamers have the same issues where you can go unbeaten for 10/15 games and then lose 6 in a row when scoring just becomes impossible...

Whenever the opposition gets a red card in the first 30 minutes i lose 1-0 no matter what i do.

This is the first FM I've played where whatever i do after kickoff it doesn't feel like it's having any impact.

The high press doesn't feel like a high press, players still are backing off to the midline, but the AI can press me on my own 18 yard box.
so any advice there would be welcome

All the YouTube video tips you see are pretty useless as playing vs simulation seems a massive difference. When simulating a season you're team will perform massively different from when you're actually playing the game.
For example XG, when you're playing you seem to get better XG than when simulating a season, but score about the same, which would suggest that there's a difference between player and "AI"

I think I'm going to give up FM23. The game engine is just... so bad. Defending players, be it defenders or midfielders are brain dead. I thought that moving to Real Madrid would change it, but it's the same as it was in Polish Ekstraklasa - the goals I score and concede are consistently the same flavour of individual errors. Watching actual games is painful, but I can't imagine this game without it. Good that it's in Game Pass so I didn't pay for it specifically. Here's hoping for actual improvements to the engine in the next one. And back to one of the older ones I guess.

I have finally found a tactic that the ME deems acceptable and is loosely how I wanna see my team play.

However, it matters not what form City, Liverpool and Spurs are in, where they are in the table or if they are home and away, my team are unable to play anything like they do in all other games. It is insane. I played Liverpool at home and I was 1st in the table, they were 3rd, they beat me 0-5. I had one off shot target to their 42. They'd just lost to City and, randomly, Coventry. I just played Spurs who sit in 4th and I was 3-0 down I'm 7 minutes, all three goals mistakes from my players. Keeper pushing a **** straight into his goal, CB just stopping dead at a long ball, wing back giving up a chase 40 yards from goal.

I'd like to know why a teams in game reputation has such a massive effect on the ME.

I care not what the fan boys say. This game is scripted in ways that need to be admitted by the game developers. There are things that happen in this game that are purely in their to force a scripted outcome to make the game feel "real".

My keeper, de Keijzer, just let a deflected shot that lopped up through his hands in the 92nd minute away at Chelsea, to level the scores 2-2 after we were two up, with yeah, you guessed it, Chelsea's second shot of the game.

Now I personally do have not much if an issue with this outside of the fact that a keeper in a game with 17 Ariel ability and 16 handling should fully be able to hold onto a looped shot, but my problems stem for the flat out refusal from many in the FM community that the game is scripted. Errors are part of the game, albeit this was Sunday league ****, but the denial of the fact that the ME is clearly doing things that force errors in a game allegedly based on the player attributes is frustrating beyond belief.

It would be far more tolerable if Si came out and said that the match engine occasionally throws out anomalies that will completely screw you, rather than have to bear the Reddit crowd screening "it's your tactics" over and over again.

It's about time we get full transparency about things like this because enough is enough.

Quite simply, players continually forgetting how to play football is not my tactic. It is the game deciding that it is gonna let the opposition score.

I despise the Reddit fan boys defending this game by pompously decrying they know more about football simply because they downloaded a crazy ME breaking tactic off the internet.

So please, so I know I'm not losing my mind, tell me about all the times the game decided your tactic wasn't good enough for an unchallenged defender to miss the ball. Tell me about all the times your striker decided to kick the ball backwards against a defender when clean through on goal. Tell me about the time your full back ignored the short passing instructions until the 88th minute when he decided a short pass to the opposition striker was a good idea. Tell me about the time your keeper with 16 Handling let in four goals that were straight at him or made zero saves in 5 games.

Exactly 😭😭, like I set it to disciplined, short passing, everything and they keep booting the ball😭

Also, nothing you do will change the result. You have 20 shots, computer has one, you are one nil down with 60 minutes left and no matter what you do, you lose one nil.

yhis game is the shittest on record and I now give up on the franchise.
The fact being, since cm days, it’s always been one shot one goal for the computer and the ey still haven’t.m fixed it, 30 years on!!!!
Crooks at best
It's a football simulation game... football can be random and there are games exactly like it where one team dominates but cant score and the opposing team gets a lucky goal and steals a win its all apart of real life management the same way it is in the game

I have finally found a tactic that the ME deems acceptable and is loosely how I wanna see my team play.

However, it matters not what form City, Liverpool and Spurs are in, where they are in the table or if they are home and away, my team are unable to play anything like they do in all other games. It is insane. I played Liverpool at home and I was 1st in the table, they were 3rd, they beat me 0-5. I had one off shot target to their 42. They'd just lost to City and, randomly, Coventry. I just played Spurs who sit in 4th and I was 3-0 down I'm 7 minutes, all three goals mistakes from my players. Keeper pushing a **** straight into his goal, CB just stopping dead at a long ball, wing back giving up a chase 40 yards from goal.

I'd like to know why a teams in game reputation has such a massive effect on the ME.
Most likely because they have better team than you, attributes affect the outcome of games way more than tactics do so if you dont have a City or Liverpool level squad you wont beat them

I'm gunna list all the stuff that makes this game not only the worst FM of all time, but also the worst management SIM I've ever come across.

1. The mistakes. If there is anyone left who thinks the Match Engine doesn't know the difference between AI and Human controlled teams, they are lying fanboys. The evidence that this isn't the case is because the developer said so. The evidence that it does know is simple and clear. every single game without fail, my CBs or FBs or GK will make a mistake that leads to a goal. And this isn't even bad defending, it's blatant unforced errors that make absolutely zero sense. Interestingly this almost never happens to AI teams, just mine. And it's constant and it appears that player stats make no difference. Playing as Brighton, it is impossible that my choice of Centre Backs, Dunk, Webster, Gabriel and Sutalo would make these errors. They all have excellent mental stats alongside the obviously high defending stats.

2. Tactics and systems. I have tried a variety and I'm yet to find a system I can rely on. Alongside this is the fact that game to game, I've no idea if the players will follow my instructions or not. You are left playing a game whereby you are merely trying to find out how to beat the god awful match engine. This is not how a management SIM should behave. The defenders of FM like to remind us "this stuff happens in IRL" whilst interestingly ignoring that almost every team uses a regular tactic and a variety of these work throughout the league. Finding holes in the match engine to exploit is not how this game should work.

3. Shooting and blocking. As a poster earlier in this thread mentioned, there is very little you can control in this game. Most of this game is data, and thus you have to be able to rely on the stats if players. This is not their case. I have Iheanacho up front and he has 17 in finishing and technique, 16 for off the ball and composure, 15 for determination, and yet he misses ALL the time. I've never seen a striker waste so much 12 yards from goal. A lot of the problem is apparently AI teams defenders seem to be able to stretch their limbs in key areas to magically block shots despite being a yard or two behind the ball. The other biggest problem is that attackers dwell on the ball so much in the box, they often struggle to get shots off, despite yards of space. On the other hand, no matter the skill and stats of the opposition, they are all decisive almost every time.

4. XG is broken. I had an XG versus shots of plus nine. That was plus five more than the team second in this data set. But that makes no sense as I watch comprehensive highlights and I see my team waste great chance after great chance. I don't know how it possible to have the top shots on target, most saved shots and the highest XG to shots stats.

5. Shouts don't work, at all. I once encouraged my team who were one nil up after dominating Chelsea. But Chelsea started to turn the game so I encouraged the lads and they all went to angry red face. Even if encouragement did not work, I doubt that a whole XI would react badly, it makes no sense. Demand more is the only shout that does anything whatsoever.

6. Ludicrous signing bonuses. A player I had agreed to sign for 18 million wouldn't accept anything less than a 7.5 million signing bonus. Not even a top player. Signing new contracts is a nightmare and completely drains finances.

7. Stats mean almost nothing. It's covered above somewhat, but no matter the stats, my players will not do what the stats say they should. This is especially frustrating with keepers. Robert Sanchez is a good keeper and yet he barely makes any saves. In the friendly rage quit, he had 2 shots straight at him that he just refused to save, and this happened all last season. It is crazy to me that a keeper with his stays just can't save anything. Even in games where I somehow find a way to stop the AI creating anything, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll have a random shot and my keeper will just watch it go in.

I'm short, this game is an utter disgrace. Si should be utterly ashamed of themselves.
xG isn't broken lmao you just have bad players, xG is expected goals from chances it doesnt gurantee you will score those chances if your players arent good enough xG doesnt matter

It's a football simulation game... football can be random and there are games exactly like it where one team dominates but cant score and the opposing team gets a lucky goal and steals a win its all apart of real life management the same way it is in the game

and we have a fan boy!
Every game this scenario, every single game where you have 30 shots, lucky to score, computer has 1 and scores. Irrelevant of what team you are or who you play.

Donnarauma I’m goal, has not pulled off a save in 13 matches, conceded 20 from 20 shots.
Change your tactic in game, nothing changes. The game is scripted, it is totally unrealistic, nothing to do with players, teams or tactics. Don’t even get me started on trying to sell players either!
120 million pound player, scores goals, Barcelona offer…… get this fan boy…. £500!!
yep, £500. Player gets annoyed I won’t accept it!

I've never given up on any game until now. **** FM23, it's by far the worst instalment they've ever released and I would genuinely rather play FIFA at this point. I can't believe how predictably **** this game is, every game is exactly the same and absolutely nothing I do changes anything. One shot one goal, two shots two goals for the AI, meanwhile 25 shots 0 goals, maybe a couple disallowed too. What a terrible, terrible piece of **** this game is.

@TransferListed xG should level (or be close to) itself with the goals scored the more games you play. This is a game, you can have world class players all around and still not be close to your xG. But then in the next game you have xG of 2, and score 6 goals.

Whats bothering me is the patterns you score/concede. It's so predictable and I only have 500 hours this year. Imagine if you have double.

@nmonkey please, be civil. No need to be personal, alright?

and we have a fan boy!
Every game this scenario, every single game where you have 30 shots, lucky to score, computer has 1 and scores. Irrelevant of what team you are or who you play.

Donnarauma I’m goal, has not pulled off a save in 13 matches, conceded 20 from 20 shots.
Change your tactic in game, nothing changes. The game is scripted, it is totally unrealistic, nothing to do with players, teams or tactics. Don’t even get me started on trying to sell players either!
120 million pound player, scores goals, Barcelona offer…… get this fan boy…. £500!!
yep, £500. Player gets annoyed I won’t accept it!
Lol clearly hit a nerve but my point stays the same football is unrealistic you see sean dyche sides sh*thouse results all the time, xG is expected goals so if your not scoring your chances it's because your players just arent good enough and I doubt Barcelona offered 500 and for a 120m player

After playing it quite a lot this year, it's definitely the most scripted game edition that I can remember. You can make all the correct calls, but if the game wants a particular result to occur in the pre-scripted game circumstances of that particular match, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Perhaps that's just the luck element / drama of football trying to be created. But it happens way too frequently for it to be an enjoyable game.

After playing it quite a lot this year, it's definitely the most scripted game edition that I can remember. You can make all the correct calls, but if the game wants a particular result to occur in the pre-scripted game circumstances of that particular match, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Perhaps that's just the luck element / drama of football trying to be created. But it happens way too frequently for it to be an enjoyable game.

Actually, I has been proved multiple times and in multiple versions, that game does not create fixed results. You have already know that "if" you "play" the game years. Anyway, the randomness has been created by a lot, like IRL as well.