Song - Yaya Touré
Juan Mata - David Silva - Gareth Bale
RvP

Tim Krul
Richards - Kompany - Vidic - Baines
Nani - Tioté - Modric - Bale
RvP
Demba Ba

NB: I picked two teams because there were some players I really just couldn't leave out. I made several changes to the 2nd one, but that was more to justify making a 2nd team than because all of those positions are actually close ;)

Without further ado, my explanations:

GK: Hart - Just brilliant. What else is there to say? He's England No. 1 and will be for some time. He and Reina, for me, are the most consistent 'keepers in the league. There are some excellent goalkeepers, but I think those two make the least mistakes and they're always far between, too. Hart pips Reina to the post because I think he's a better shot-stopper, just.

Krul - In there because with a defence like Newcastle's (often makeshift, cavalier and without a huge amount of PL exp.), he always has plenty to do and has given them some vital points against Utd and others almost entirely by himself.

RB: Richards - I don't anyone this season comes close to him in terms of quality. I still think Sagna is just about a better player, but he's not really played this season so I can't include him (I know it's TOTY, but still). Richards' versatility and die-hard attitude make it difficult to deny him this spot. Has the same goals/assists MIDFIELDER
Alex Song this year (1/5) and can do pretty much everything.

Phil Jones and Kyle Walker also deserve a mention.

CB(s):
Kompany & Koscielny - There's not much arguing with Kompany's inclusion. He's not just been one of City's best defenders this year, but one of their best players full stop. Beast in the air and a strong tackler to boot, he gives away just 1.1 fouls/game and only allows an opposition player to dribble past him 0.3 times/game.

Koscielny may come as a bit of a surprise to some, particularly those who thought he struggled last season. Firstly, let's not forget that in his first season in the PL, never mind as an Arsenal player, and only his 2nd in a top division, he had to play with 4 different CB partners. His pace and expert positioning is highlighted by his 2.8 interceptions/game and 1.6 offside decisions won/game (second only to Gary Cahill).

Vidic - Hasn't played much this season (Only 6 games) so I gave Koscielny the spot ahead of him, but last season's performances were superb week-in, week-out. His importance to Utd is becoming increasingly clear with their makeshift defence leaking goals.

LB: José Enrique - Most sought-after LB this summer. A bargain for £5m or whatever it was in the end. Pity Arsenal didn't sign him, but he's another player who seems to have perfected the balance between going forward and not letting anyone past him in his own box.

Baines - Decent enough defender, but mainly in the second team to make up numbers and because he adds invaluable goals and assists.

CM(s): Song and Touré - Yaya Touré is just such a magnificent player. I'd love to have a stat for how far he runs every game, because it seems like he never stops. His African background appears to have given him an insane amount of energy, like those Kenyan marathon runners, while his days at Barcelona mean he has plenty of technical quality on the ball (1 successful dribble, 1.3 KP & 0.3 through-balls/game). Mancini's Italian roots have also hepled Touré to improve as a defender (behind only Barry for most tackles/game at City).

Tioté and Modric -The former seems to get booked every game, but his terrier-esque approach to chasing down the ball is one of the main reasons Newcastle have got so many points and good performances against the best passing teams this season (Arsenal x2. Utd x2, Chelsea, etc.). He doesn't give the opposition a moment's peace on the ball.

Modric is another highly sought-after player, and I get the feeling that if Spurs lost him, their CL challenge would be significantly reduced. They have other good players - Bale, Parker, VdV - but Modric makes them tick and can wriggle out of pretty much any situation. Modric, for me, is the complete player.

These two only lose out because a) I'm biased and I love Song and Touré, and b) I prefer the tactical set-up of Team 1 - Silva doesn't track back much so it was important to have two defensive-minded players but who can still go forward when they need to.

"Winger(s)":
Bale and Mata - Bale just keeps getting better and better. He's now added assists to his goals, and has become less predictable in his play. Last season, Rafael of Man Utd kept him quiet by ensuring he had to come inside and matched him for pace down the wing but this season, players can't do that any more. The only thing lacking before he really is the next Ryan Giggs is a more varied passing range, completing just 1.6 long-balls/game (only just more than Adebayor!)

Mata is the second-top assister this season and may well turn out to be Arséne Wenger's biggest regret. While we were fannying about trying to sell Fabregas to Barca as quickly as possible, Chelsea were stealing Mata from right under our noses. A simply superb player who - although not a right-winger - can play there because he's that good ;)

Nani - It's pretty difficult to leave out such a skillful and pacey player. Then again, when he behaves like he does when he gets tackled, he loses a lot of neutral support. Too liable to have a strop so Mata comes in instead. I also think Richards would be more able to get forward with Mata there cutting inside than Nani in front of him.

Attacking Midfielder/Second Striker: David Silva - Top assister in the PL this season, he's a wonderful player to watch. Unlike some, he never makes a fuss and is a prettier, more advanced version of Luka Modric. Both similar players, but like a lot of players in my team(s), Silva is versatile and would link up brilliantly with RvP.

Talking of which... Van Persie - Plays the "Second Striker" or "Bergkamp" role, where a lot of people think he should be playing already. Ideally, I want a player who scored 35 goals to play up-front, but he's just as able to play behind the striker and assist more than he does score. 5 assists this season and 2.2 key passes per game are both joint-high statistics for the Arsenal side.

Striker: Demba Ba isn't far behind RvP in terms of goals this season. Both have had their injury problems, but hopefully they can both remain fit for the foreseeable future. Both brilliant players and would combine superbly IMO.

Very little competition here. Rooney has been inconsistent this season and in 2011, Torres has failed completely, and Suárez - IMO - isn't as good as some say. Even without this racism thing, he has been inconsistent and too easily frustrated when things aren't going his way - unlike Ba and RvP, who have scored countless winning goals between them in difficult games.​

Not a lot to disagree with tbf

Really? I actually disagree with quite a lot of the players that are getting included.

Vidic hasn't exactly been ever present over the last year. Joe Hart is prone to silly errors which the media like to ignore, most likely because he is English.

Gareth Bale AKA Sky Sports *** boy and Nani are others who are very hot and cold. When they are on form though, BOOM!

Rooney? Sorry but he is another who has spells of greatness. No consistancy throughout.

My Eleven

Reina

Richards Kompany Coloccini Enrique

Y. Toure Ramires Modric

Van Persie Ba Silva

Shocked that Ba has hardly any mentions, he has scored a crazy amount of goals since arriving last January for West Ham. I think most of my choices are pretty self explanatory.

Really? I actually disagree with quite a lot of the players that are getting included.

Vidic hasn't exactly been ever present over the last year. Joe Hart is prone to silly errors which the media like to ignore, most likely because he is English.

Gareth Bale AKA Sky Sports *** boy and Nani are others who are very hot and cold. When they are on form though, BOOM!

Rooney? Sorry but he is another who has spells of greatness. No consistancy throughout.

My Eleven

Reina

Richards Kompany Coloccini Enrique

Y. Toure Ramires Modric

Van Persie Ba Silva

Shocked that Ba has hardly any mentions, he has scored a crazy amount of goals since arriving last January for West Ham. I think most of my choices are pretty self explanatory.

Reina's made even more mistakes than Hart.

Wingers by nature tend to blow hot and cold.

Ba hasnt got in because most people have gone for a lone FC.

Rooney is been pretty consistent in 2011, bar a 7 game spell, this season when united as whole were not playing well. 28 goals in 2011, from a player who isnt even leading the line

My team of the year:
Hart
Richards - Coloccini - Kompany - Enrique
Tiote
Modric - Ramires
Silva -------------- Nani
RVP

Bench: Krul, Parker, Ba, Bale, BAE, Lescott, Jones.

Urm, I suppose I can write a bit why I chose each player.

Hart: Best keeper in the league by far imo, while Cech and Reina have had some high profile mistakes in the past year, and the change in keeper at United, I can't think of anyone that has been as consistent or impressive between the sticks bar Hart, who was pushed hard by Krul, but with Krul only really playing the latter half of the year consistently well, I went for Hart.

Richards: Utter tank, beast going forward and even better in a defensive sense. My favourite right back by a long way, can't think of anyone that would even push him close. Walker looks like he might next year.

Colo: Looked shaky in his first season at Newcastle, but since we came back up, has looked so solid, and as club captain, he seems to have the added drive to dominate. One of my favourite defenders to watch, not afraid to pass the ball or dribble, and is one of the best one on one defenders in the league.

Kompany: Up their with Vidic as the best CB in the league, if only Vidic hadn't had such a injury filled year he could have been in here with Kompany. A beast in the air, and just as good with his feet, a perfect no-nonsense defender in my eyes.

Enrique: Played well for us last season, and been playing awesome for 'Pool this season. Very consistent, awesome going forward, considering the relative failure of Evra and Cole this season, I can't think of anyone else I would have in the team, Bale has had his good games, but looked extremely average in others. BAE has been the second best LB for me in the league this year, but still a way behind Enrique.

Tiote: Animal. Pure animal. Unsure how Newcastle managed to pick this guy up, he is a destroyer and a creator at the same time. Twinned with Cabaye, they compliment each other superbly, and I doubt either will still be at the club come 2 seasons time.

Modirc: Brilliant playmaker, great eye for a pass. Unsure how a player who looks like he hasn't eaten in a few years can be so ******* awesome. Extremely composed, and I think Spurs have done well to keep hold of him, and will need to if they are looking to win the league/ compete in the CL in the future.

Ramires: 'Workhorse' apparently, the lad has an engine, he is a good passer/finisher and has a fair bit of pace about him. Extremely composed and tries hard in every game he plays.

Silva/Nani: Covering both in one paragraph, no other wide player can compete with these two. Nani on his day is unplayable, granted he hasn't scored a phenomenal amount of goals, but his constant threat to the goal and his general technical ability is awesome. Silva is one of the best players in the world, again technically awesome, and also scores some ******* sexy goals.

RVP: Nearly breaking Shearers goal record speaks for itself really. He is a beast on the ground and in the air, and Arsenal are ****( ;) ), so he must be doing something right to get all those goals.

Awesome.​

Krul
Richards Kompany Vidic Enrique
Nani Yaya Parker Bale
Ba RVP

Seriously? =/

Well done on your uncanny ability to cut the rest of my post. I've run out of Blue Peter badges but perhaps you would like a cookie?

Last edited:
Suprised nobody has even mentioned Sturridge on their bench even. He had a fantastic year but there have been other great strikers too and everybody has an opinion.

Well done on your ability to cut out the rest of the sentence.

Even with the inclusion of reasoning 'the media don't cover it', it's still a rather surprising statement to make considering the amount of mistakes Reina has made in the past year, and even in this year has made mistakes, eg Agueros shot against Man City slipping underneath him.

Comparing the two, there are more Reina mistakes that I can remember in the past year compared to Hart, and in fact I would personally say Hart is one of the more consistent keepers in the Premier league, and rarely makes mistakes, and that is surprising, because he is English, and we haven't had a consistently good keeper since Seaman.

Well done on your uncanny ability to cut the rest of my post. I've run out of Blue Peter badges but perhaps you would like a cookie?

And why would I quote a wall of text when a handful of words will do? It's not like I've ignored anything important.

I dont get it?

Reina has been blunderprone for at least two years and considering his performance against City this could be the third. Saying Hart is prone to mistakes whil putting Reina between the sticks is just ridiculous.

Even with the inclusion of reasoning 'the media don't cover it', it's still a rather surprising statement to make considering the amount of mistakes Reina has made in the past year, and even in this year has made mistakes, eg Agueros shot against Man City slipping underneath him.

Comparing the two, there are more Reina mistakes that I can remember in the past year compared to Hart, and in fact I would personally say Hart is one of the more consistent keepers in the Premier league, and rarely makes mistakes, and that is surprising, because he is English, and we haven't had a consistently good keeper since Seaman.

Aside from the Aguero mistake, I am struggling to think of any. Reina is always solid when I see him. If you can prove me wrong then fair enough.

Every keeper makes mistakes, it's only human. My point was that Hart's mistakes get swept under the rug, where as David De Gea for example got a hounding his first few weeks at Man U.

Like I said, I'm not debating his ability, he is excellent but he isn't the messiah he gets portrayed to be. No need to go on the defensive about it.

And why would I quote a wall of text when a handful of words will do? It's not like I've ignored anything important.

Reina has been blunderprone for at least two years and considering his performance against City this could be the third. Saying Hart is prone to mistakes whil putting Reina between the sticks is just ridiculous.

A sentence is hardly a wall full of text. You took it out to take the **** and kudos on your success. When you are old and look back on your life, you can say 'well, I got a few likes on Fm-Base. Good for you :)

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I, And I think your opinion that Reina is blunderprone is 'ridiculous' thus is football, we all have a different opinion. So I will leave it at that before we go further off topic. More than happy to discuss it over VM if you so wish.

Hart
Richards Kompany Coloccini Baines
Toure Parker
Nani Rooney Silva
RVP

Joe Hart: The most consistent 'keeper in the Prem over the past year. Tim Krul has been outstanding for Newcastle so far, but he was edged out by virtue of Hart having been excellent over the course of the whole year. Though his defence has been miserly, Hart was always ready when called upon.

Micah Richards: Shoe-in. Kyle Walker was excellent on loan for Villa at the start of last year, and has continued his form with parent club Spurs, but he still has work to do defensively. Richards is the complete package: strong, quick, sound technique and good defensively as well as going forward. How Capello continues to ignore him is beyond me.

Vincent Kompany:
Has matured into a truly top-class defender. His all-round ability is good, but it is in the penalty box where he does his best work. Playing a high line and up against another player one on one, he is competent, but at handling a high-pressure situation in the penalty area he is streets ahead of anyone else in the world. Honourable mention goes to Nemanja Vidic, whose injury this year and nervousness against pacey forwards tip the balance in favour of the Belgian.

Fabricio Coloccini: His rocky start to life in the Prem ended with Newcastle going down, but he has come back up a wonderful defender. Unlike Kompany, his strength is arguably in a one-on-one situation, and thus they complement each other well. Good hair too. Laurent Koscielny was close, but I think Colo gets the nod.

Leighton Baines: Where to start? Penalty taker, free kick wizard and corner wizard, expert crosser, huge engine, ability to play left-back and left-wing at the same time, extremely competent defender, masterful attacker. How he doesn't start for England ahead of Cole is baffling. A mention must go to Jose Enrique, whose defensive solidity is mixed with good work going forward.

Yaya Toure: An absolute midfield dynamo. Showed his versatility last season in operating as a trequartista, playing behind the striker where he used his power and not inconsiderable technique to put a whole new spin on the position. This season, he's reverted back to his favoured and likely best position, controlling the game from deep with rangy bursts from deep and immense ball-winning skill. I feel sorry for Cheik Tiote, since his wonderful year would be enough to earn him the spot any other time.

Scott Parker: No team is ever a one-man team, but at the end of the year Parker's West Ham came close to it at times. His all-action, energetic displays were complemented by good passing and shooting skills. Since moving to Spurs, he's not had to do anywhere near as much as he tried to take on in the Hammers' midfield, but has instead focused his energies on ball-winning, to great effect. The mention must go to Lucas Leiva, one of my favourite players (and my player of the season last year) but Parker's ability to do just about anything means him makes it in.

Nani: 36 goals or assists in one and a half seasons says it all. Utterly unplayable on his day, and improving in consistency as time goes on. He's way ahead of my second choice Clint Dempsey, much as I <3 Clint.

Wayne Rooney: Rooney made the transition from goalscorer to creator last season, playing more as a midfielder than anything else. He retained his keen eye for goal, however, and has been in fine fettle for most of the year. When on form, there is little the opposition can do to stop him influencing the game in some manner. When out of form, he is still intelligent enough to drag the opposition around and get into good positions. Add to that his work rate and desire, and he just manages to edge Luka Modric into second choice, despite the latter's all-round excellence.

David Silva: Silva came in to the Premier League and adapted almost instantly, single-handedly turning a workmanlike and power-based City attack into something capable of shredding even the best defences. Pretty sure he defies physics occasionally. Gareth Bale, for all his pace and power, cannot compete.

Robin Van Persie: Easiest pick of the lot. It is so easy to resort to hyperbole when talking about him, so I'll just leave it at this: what a magical year for Van Persie. Demba Ba could've cured cancer, landed on Mars and lost to Dunc at FIFA (and trust me, that **** is hard) and he wouldn't have got in. Probably.​

Billy has it spot on apart from not having Hart in his first team. Anyone who does not even mention Parker in their team has not obviously been watching the Prem over the last year.

Aside from the Aguero mistake, I am struggling to think of any. Reina is always solid when I see him. If you can prove me wrong then fair enough.

Every keeper makes mistakes, it's only human. My point was that Hart's mistakes get swept under the rug, where as David De Gea for example got a hounding his first few weeks at Man U.

Like I said, I'm not debating his ability, he is excellent but he isn't the messiah he gets portrayed to be. No need to go on the defensive about it.

Not being defensive about it lol, just making points as to why your point was previously ridiculed by users, which you are seemingly oblivious to, and instead of making points to back your own up, decide to return to your previous point of Harts mistakes being 'swept under the rug', with little to no evidence backing it up. Granted, as you stated, every keeper makes mistakes, if making a mistake and not being hounded about it by the media is a players own fault, then I must be missing something. You're apparent instance that Hart is a 'messiah' are also slightly odd, nationality doesn't effect skill level, and as you seem to be basing your opinion on Reina on games you have seen him play, it seems rather unfair to be basing your opinion on the lack of media attention on Hart. If anything, English goalkeepers are more pressurised and scrutinised than any other in this country, just look at how easy and quickely it was for Green and Robinson to fall from grace after high profile mistakes, as of yet, I haven't seen Hart make one.

Anyway, here is a mistake from Reina this year:

Video Reina Howler vs Fulham Dempsey strikes after Reina fails to hold Murphy strike Fulham 1-0 Liverpool-Watch Highlights Online

Feel free to post any videos of Harts mistakes in the past year, the only ones I could find were Fifa videos.

A sentence is hardly a wall full of text. You took it out to take the **** and kudos on your success. When you are old and look back on your life, you can say 'well, I got a few likes on Fm-Base. Good for you :)

Why would you have me quote the whole sentence? It's irrelevant. I can't care any less about the press. I live in Argentina, so there's pretty much no way that the English press sucking up to Hart is going to influence my opinion of him. If anything, it'd be easier for the Spanish press to influence my judgement - As a matter of fact, a spanish newspaper called Agüero's shot 'unstoppable'. Talk about sweeping mistakes under the rug...

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I, And I think your opinion that Reina is blunderprone is 'ridiculous' thus is football, we all have a different opinion. So I will leave it at that before we go further off topic. More than happy to discuss it over VM if you so wish.

I can't be arsed to VM you over this as you clearly haven't watched Hart or Reina this season.

That said, while we're on the topic of Reina making mistakes, this is an old one but it's a personal favourite of mine :wub:

[video=youtube;eflqzKu9gJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eflqzKu9gJY[/video]

Only errors by Hart that I can think of was the Kolo Toure mix-up against Blackburn last year (equally Toure's fault) and Tranquillo Barnetta's freekick against him for Switzerland (which Ferdinand should've headed away). It is to his credit that, for such a comparatively young keeper, the blots on his record are few and far between.

Only errors by Hart that I can think of was the Kolo Toure mix-up against Blackburn last year (equally Toure's fault) and Tranquillo Barnetta's freekick against him for Switzerland (which Ferdinand should've headed away). It is to his credit that, for such a comparatively young keeper, the blots on his record are few and far between.

He's made a couple more, when claiming for crosses. But unlike most other keepers (hello De Gea) he is very rarely punished for them.

He's made a couple more, when claiming for crosses. But unlike most other keepers (hello De Gea) he is very rarely punished for them.

Well, Reina hasn't had the best of times when it comes to crosses lately, either.

I think it's very rare in general that a keeper will be able to come out and claim every cross perfectly. This season I have seen Krul/Vorm/Reina/Hart/De Gea/Cech all flap at a cross to two, so I think that's a rather mute point when comparing any of these keepers, as it is neither a regular party of any of their games, and nor is it such an issue that many goals have been score from these 'mistakes'.