Premier League Team of the Year 2011

I think it's very rare in general that a keeper will be able to come out and claim every cross perfectly. This season I have seen Krul/Vorm/Reina/Hart/De Gea/Cech all flap at a cross to two, so I think that's a rather mute point when comparing any of these keepers, as it is neither a regular party of any of their games, and nor is it such an issue that many goals have been score from these 'mistakes'.

But its still an error, when you come for a ball that you dont need to come for, and miss it completely. Its these kind of errors that are held against De Gea, even when they dont lead to goals. A mistake is a mistake, even if it goes unpunished. Though he has made less than Reina for sure

Out of all of those Dunc mentioned, Hart is the best in the air. De Gea's not great (but not as bad as some claim) and is young enough to change, Krul and Vorm are both decent, Reina's usually above average but has shown evidence of being a bit shaky recently and Cech's actually quite bad. If Hart's supposed weakness is crosses, I reckon he still holds the advantage.

But its still an error, when you come for a ball that you dont need to come for, and miss it completely. Its these kind of errors that are held against De Gea, even when they dont lead to goals. A mistake is a mistake, even if it goes unpunished. Though he has made less than Reina for sure

I would still rather my keeper flapped at a few crosses, than missing simple saves or dropping the ball at an opponents feet. A cross still needs to be finished off, and if it is out of the keepers reach, then in reality, it shouldn't be very close to the goalmouth. I am still just struggling to see how Hart can be considered 'accident prone', in any sense. The comparison to De Gea is flawed also, as De Gea has made high profile mistakes, and a fair few of them, so no doubt he will be hounded by the media, granted he has improved, but considering the fact he hasn't started 4 of the last 5 games for United, maybe it shows that the mistakes are starting to become too frequent, even for a keeper of such a young age.

I would still rather my keeper flapped at a few crosses, than missing simple saves or dropping the ball at an opponents feet. A cross still needs to be finished off, and if it is out of the keepers reach, then in reality, it shouldn't be very close to the goalmouth. I am still just struggling to see how Hart can be considered 'accident prone', in any sense. The comparison to De Gea is flawed also, as De Gea has made high profile mistakes, and a fair few of them, so no doubt he will be hounded by the media, granted he has improved, but considering the fact he hasn't started 4 of the last 5 games for United, maybe it shows that the mistakes are starting to become too frequent, even for a keeper of such a young age.

Ive not said he is accident prone, but he has made more mistakes than people believe. Still less than the others.

Some of the De Gea mistakes have only been high profile because its De Gea. Ive then seen Hart do teh same thing and no one bats an eyelid

Ive not said he is accident prone, but he has made more mistakes than people believe. Still less than the others.

Some of the De Gea mistakes have only been high profile because its De Gea. Ive then seen Hart do teh same thing and no one bats an eyelid

Honestly, I would love to see some of these Hart mistakes. He is just as high profile, if not more so, than De Gea, so I don't see your point. He had a mistake in 2010 (I think) where Richards scored an own goal when Hart was rushing out, and he got plenty of media coverage for. I honestly can't recall Hart letting a ball slip underneath him, in recent memory, or missing a relatively easy save. Both of which I can remember De Gea doing in recent time, and I only would know about those because I watched the game or Match of the day.

Honestly, I would love to see some of these Hart mistakes. He is just as high profile, if not more so, than De Gea, so I don't see your point. He had a mistake in 2010 (I think) where Richards scored an own goal when Hart was rushing out, and he got plenty of media coverage for. I honestly can't recall Hart letting a ball slip underneath him, in recent memory, or missing a relatively easy save. Both of which I can remember De Gea doing in recent time, and I only would know about those because I watched the game or Match of the day.

Except no one goes looking for mistakes in Hart's game, wherewas they try and claim everything is a mistake in De Gea's, reference the two headed goals by Lescott and Smalling in the Community shield, despite both goals being scored in virtually identical circumstances, they tried to call De Gea's a mistake, and then immediately stppoed calling it that, when Hart conceded in the same manner

Will dig up those two other mistakes for you, anyway have gone off topic a bit. Hart is definitely less error prone than Reina, but i maintain he has made a couple more errors

Hart
Richards
Kompany
Koscielny
Enrique
Yaya Toure
Lucas
Ramires
Sturridge
Silva
RVP

Last edited by a moderator:
Except no one goes looking for mistakes in Hart's game, wherewas they try and claim everything is a mistake in De Gea's, reference the two headed goals by Lescott and Smalling in the Community shield, despite both goals being scored in virtually identical circumstances, they tried to call De Gea's a mistake, and then immediately stppoed calling it that, when Hart conceded in the same manner

Will dig up those two other mistakes for you, anyway have gone off topic a bit. Hart is definitely less error prone than Reina, but i maintain he has made a couple more errors

Not really off topic, just discussing the reasoning behind the inclusion/exclusion of players from peoples 'Team of the year'.

Not really off topic, just discussing the reasoning behind the inclusion/exclusion of players from peoples 'Team of the year'.

Fair, i thought i was rambling too much about keepers.

Hart
Richards - Kompany - Colo - Enrique
Nani - Lucas - Silva - Bale
RvP - Rooney

Fair, i thought i was rambling too much about keepers.

As you can only have one, seems to be the most competitive position considering the dominance of RVP as the lone striker this year, thus the differences in opinion.

Not being defensive about it lol, just making points as to why your point was previously ridiculed by users, which you are seemingly oblivious to, and instead of making points to back your own up, decide to return to your previous point of Harts mistakes being 'swept under the rug', with little to no evidence backing it up. Granted, as you stated, every keeper makes mistakes, if making a mistake and not being hounded about it by the media is a players own fault, then I must be missing something. You're apparent instance that Hart is a 'messiah' are also slightly odd, nationality doesn't effect skill level, and as you seem to be basing your opinion on Reina on games you have seen him play, it seems rather unfair to be basing your opinion on the lack of media attention on Hart. If anything, English goalkeepers are more pressurised and scrutinised than any other in this country, just look at how easy and quickely it was for Green and Robinson to fall from grace after high profile mistakes, as of yet, I haven't seen Hart make one.

Anyway, here is a mistake from Reina this year:

Video Reina Howler vs Fulham Dempsey strikes after Reina fails to hold Murphy strike Fulham 1-0 Liverpool-Watch Highlights Online

Feel free to post any videos of Harts mistakes in the past year, the only ones I could find were Fifa videos.

It's a hard subject to defend because there isn't much evidence and my memory is not good enough to remember all the silly incidents that occur in football.

A few come to mind which I cannot find on youtube or anything, like you say it's all fifa stuff. Blackburn at home last year, Juventus,Leicester and the Switzerland mistakes. The Swiss free kick was a combination of poor organisation of his wall and his odd attempt at saving the ball. Then again Milner? had a part to play too.

I was probably a bit harsh, in hindsight. I was just saying that I felt his errors go unnoticed when others get a bit more media attention, like De Gea for example.

Why would you have me quote the whole sentence? It's irrelevant. I can't care any less about the press. I live in Argentina, so there's pretty much no way that the English press sucking up to Hart is going to influence my opinion of him. If anything, it'd be easier for the Spanish press to influence my judgement - As a matter of fact, a spanish newspaper called Agüero's shot 'unstoppable'. Talk about sweeping mistakes under the rug...

I can't be arsed to VM you over this as you clearly haven't watched Hart or Reina this season.

That said, while we're on the topic of Reina making mistakes, this is an old one but it's a personal favourite of mine :wub:

[video=youtube;eflqzKu9gJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eflqzKu9gJY[/video]

You are clearly missing the point entirely, which doesn't surprise me. Did I say you were influenced by the media? NO! I said that you cut out my post to be a smart ****. I ask to debate the matter further and you say no, but are happy to get another dig in saying I clearly haven't seen either keeper. Very mature!

If De Gea did this the media would have a field day
Manchester City 2-1 Villareal: Cani, Dzeko scored, Aguero dramatic-strike | Soccer Highlight Video
yes i know its champs league but its the first example that sprung to mind there are others

I didn't see that game, so I appreciate the video. It is a bit of a mistake, I mean, he did make the first save, and there were mistakes in the build up also by other players, and the attacker that scored wasn't tracked by the defender, but still, that is a save he should be looking to hold/push round the post, rather than push back into the edge of the 6 yard box.

I didn't see that game, so I appreciate the video. It is a bit of a mistake, I mean, he did make the first save, and there were mistakes in the build up also by other players, and the attacker that scored wasn't tracked by the defender, but still, that is a save he should be looking to hold/push round the post, rather than push back into the edge of the 6 yard box.

yep, agreed they were right not to jump on his back after this, however they were not right to jump on de geas back after his best ever game at stoke away just because he got elbowed in the head!

yep, agreed they were right not to jump on his back after this, however they were not right to jump on de geas back after his best ever game at stoke away just because he got elbowed in the head!

I agree, the Stoke game for De Gea was unlucky, but there have been other instances where he has made some simple mistakes. The thing with De Gea is, he is very young and has a good 15-20 year career ahead of him, where as Reina has been at the top for a good few years now, and you would expect his mistakes to be at a minimum.

Does no one think Howard deserves at least a place on the bench? Not as good as Hart, but at times he's been as good as Reina and has proven to be an effective shot stopper too

Does no one think Howard deserves at least a place on the bench? Not as good as Hart, but at times he's been as good as Reina and has proven to be an effective shot stopper too

Tim's been great, he's even saved 2-3 penalties last year, and has kept a consistently good level of performances throughout that period, but Krul and Hart have been the stand-out performers IMO.

Tim's been great, he's even saved 2-3 penalties last year, and has kept a consistently good level of performances throughout that period, but Krul and Hart have been the stand-out performers IMO.

Hmmm. I suppose. It may have sounded a bit biased on my part but it wasn't. I have seen some excellent performances by Krul. Just feels at times Howard gets a bit overlooked at times.