2 Feb 2015

The Transfer Window slams shut...

View attachment 286816 View attachment 286815

“So did we hear back?” I ask over the phone. “Yes. ****** Home Office wont grant him a permit.” Coppell grumbled back. “Ok, no sense crying over spilt milk. We still managed to get Vigurs’ John Hancock and the work you did identifying Loic Nestor as an Isla replacement and getting him to sign was inspired Steve.” I said. “Thanks mate – I guess I just really wanted Stillic” said Coppell. “Yeah, he would have let us probably play the same way next season. Hey on that subject, I’ve been thinking a bit more about next year especially after the Newcastle game where we dropped into the 4-3-3” I continued “I think we make that our main formation this offseason, we’re almost certain to lose Zarate so lets use a system that gives us a bit more defensive cover and utilizes Sandro, Diakite and Faurlin in their best spots”.

“So you got Faurlin to re-sign then?” Steve asked “And at the lower wage?” I left the question hang there for a while. “You cheeky *******, you did, didn’t you? You could sell ice to eskimos, I can hear you smiling on the other end of this line!” he exclaimed “I wondered how you managed to wrangle Griffiths for 350k with the rest only due after 50 games. Sure why not, let’s look to move to a 4-3-3 next season, scrap the search for another AM and we’ll re-examine the other spots at the end of season strategy day.

“Hey have you had much of a look at Ulvestad yet?” I prompted. “Yeah I got a decent look before we signed him and if you hadn’t offered a contract by the time he left I was going to come see you. He’s never going to be a worldbeater but to get him on a free is good going” Steve said “how did you find him?” So I start “Mate crazy story. You know how I get that pack of DVD’s each week from agents all over and I usually throw them straight in the bin? Well my boy Aaron came to meet me in the office before we went out to have dinner a few weeks back. I was getting up to go to the toilet before we left and put the Newcastle match DVD in the player as I was going to watch it first thing the next morning. Anyways we go out to dinner and have a great time and when I come into work the next morning I hit play and this random scouting DVD starts up. I smile to myself knowing Aaron’s pranked me by switching DVD’s but then this guy on the video just body feints the absolute **** out of Gashi from Odd who I’ve seen play in the Norwegian national team. So I end up watching the whole thing. As soon as its finished I’m on the phone to his agent getting him over for a trial. The rest is history”.

“He’ll be a good pickup” Steve said. “Yeah, I think he will be too. I just hope the scouting boys are paying more attention to those DVD’s than I usually do!!” I said as Steve and I burst into laughter. “Well later then” I finished and hung up the phone and thought to myself ‘I’d best get back to work’.

View attachment 286814

Fredrik Ulvestad has signed for QPR on a free transfer

Last edited:
Yeah that would suck a bit without those two. You look like you are doing very well though. Something suggests to me the Manuel Pablo knows how to get the best out of his players!

To be fair he probably still has the best squad in the Championship ;) close anyway.

1 Mar 2015

February game summary

Game 1 – Stoke (h), Premier League game 24
View attachment 286728
Things started off well and we were dominating possession and in the 12th​ minute we worked a really nice opening for Henry. As he steadied himself to shoot Shawcross slid in from behind, completely missing the ball, sending Karl flying. I was incredulous when the foul wasn’t immediately blown and was in the process of racing to the edge of my technical area to lose my proverbial when I noticed the ball still lying there in the box with Matt Phillips approaching it rapidly. As he side-footed it into the corner of the goal and the goal blown I realised what was going on. Well refereed Mr East.

Griffiths extended our lead in the 67h minute after some nice lead up play from Adel Taarabt. Another solid win at home. We are starting to turn Loftus Road into a bit of a fortress with 3 wins and a draw (Man City) in our last 4 home Premier League games.

Game 2 – Liverpool(a), Premier League game 25
View attachment 286726
Started poorly – I’d set us up to sit a little deeper than we usually do to counteract the threat of Coutinho but it just didn’t work. So, throwing caution to the wind, we changed back to our typical attacking formation at the half hour and saw an immediate improvement. We were still second best throughout the first half though. In the 56th​ minute Balotelli found himself a yard of space and made no mistake to give Liverpool the lead. The rest of the game followed the same path and it was only some inspired goalkeeping from McCarthy, who had probably his best ever performance in a QPR shirt, that kept the game at 1 nil. We were never at the races toady.

Game 3 – Tottenham (h), Premier League game 26
View attachment 286725
Things were pretty even until we were awarded a soft penalty in the 25th​ minute when Vargas was bundled over in the box although to be honest there didn’t seem to be all that much contact. Niko stepped up and never looked like missing from the spot. Our lead didn’t last long though as Lamela levelled the game with a well struck effort in the 29th​ minute. Dembele then gave Tottenham the lead after a scramble in the box. Rose slotted home a 3rd​ for Tottenham on the hour mark as we failed to clear a corner and the game was for all intents and purposes over. Again we just weren’t quite up to the standard today.

Game 4 – Burnley(a), Premier League game 27
View attachment 286724
Abeid opened the scoring for Burnley against the run of play. We were soon level though as Griffith kept his good form going netting after a nice through ball from Zarate. On 25 minutes we were awarded a penalty after Ben Mee had a moment of madness elbowing Griffith in the face and receiving a straight red card, Kranjcar kept his 100% record from the spot this season with a calmly taken penalty. Burnley would though immediately level the match with Ashley Barnes scoring a long range effort. It was proving to be an end to end match and we were in front only minutes later as Griffiths grabbed his second of the match, showing good strength by receiving the ball with the goal to his back and swiveling and shooting in one movement to leave Matt Gilks rooted to the spot.

Burnley likes to stretch every rule to the extreme and they were down to nine men when Daniel Lafferty also received a straight red card. There was still time for Griffiths to complete his hattrick pouncing on the rebound when Gilks couldn’t hold a Kranjcar shot. Amazingly Burnley had a 3rd​ player red carded when Marney chopped down Phillips earning himself a 2nd yellow. I mean there’s playing tough and then there’s being grubs. Sean Dyche might want to have a look at himself after this one.

Game 5 – Crystal Palace(h), Premier League game 28
View attachment 286723
Leroy Fer got us off to a great start getting on the end of a slide rule pass from Griffiths before beating Pain in the Palace goal. The remainder of the 1st​ half was uneventful. Things got spiced up a little just after the hour mark when Sandro earned the ire of the referee and received his 2nd​ yellow for persistent fouling. Kranjcar was sacrificed to bring on Henry and sure things up. Unfortunately that proved to be a turning point in the game and with 13 to go Isla got his legs tangled up with Bolasie’s and left referee East no option but to point to the spot.

Ledley made no mistake and things were level. Crystal Palace had all the run for the remainder of the game but created no chances of note as our defence held firm. Considering the red card 1 all is a decent result. The worst part of the red card is that it will mean Sandro will now miss the Capital One Cup final against Chelsea

Feb Table
View attachment 286721
Right, ten games to go and we sit 7 points clear of Arsenal in 8th​ and 4 points off Everton in 6th​ but they both have a game in hand. If we keep this position I will be very positive about our chances to push for Europe and may even look to bring my season-by-season goals timeline forward a year.

Mar Fixtures
View attachment 286718
The obvious big game this month is the Capital One Cup final against Chelsea. Other than that there is a tough trip to Old Trafford to navigate.

Last edited:
1 March 2015

Capital One Cup Final

View attachment 286698
View attachment 286697

Chelsea v QPR - “The battle of West London”

Stamford Bridge and Loftus Road are about 3 miles apart ‘as the crow flies’ so this game was huge. It was the hottest ticket in London this weekend and all the papers had been abuzz with stories concerning the game. Also, whilst it may have represented business as usual for Chelsea, making a Wembley final was massive for QPR. As kick off time approached I rounded up the squad. “Look, you’ve all done extremely well to get us to this point. Whatever happens out there just don’t walk off the field with regret, don’t walk off the field thinking ‘what if I made that run’ or ‘what if I had of tracked back’. Leave EVERYTHING out there today!!”.

View attachment 286695
This is how the two teams lined up. When I'd set out this season I had deliberately tried to create a tactic the emulated how Chelsea had been playing under Mourinho as I saw similarities in the type of players we had so it was no surprise to see that we effectively matched up across the park. Now we just had to see who was better...

View attachment 286692
The game started at a frenetic pace as the two teams prodded and probed in the early stages. The breakthrough came in the 14th​ minute as Fer found himself some space in the box and managed to squeeze his effort in off the post – great start!! Chelsea were back on level terms though as Loic Remy powered in a shot from the edge of the area, McCarthy will be disappointed to have let that in at his near post. Game on now.

Our lead was restored just on the hour mark as Phillips had the ball break to him following a corner and his low, raspy shot evaded everyone to nestle in the corner of the goal – Get in!! Unfortunately with a quarter hour to go Fer had to come off injured. This lead to a reshuffle with Henry taking up the deeper CM spot and Ulverstad coming on. And it was that man Ulverstad who sealed the game for us smashing home a Leigh Girffiths corner first time on the volley from outside the area to give QPR fans everywhere a goal that will live long in the memory banks!! We saw out the remaining couple of minutes and as the final whistle sounded delirium broke out amongst the team- no one had really given us a shot at beating Chelsea but we’d done it – COME ON YOU R’S!!!!!

View attachment 286691
Matt Phillips was awarded man of the match today but for me there were 13 of them. Everyone who got on the pitch did everything I could have asked of them. They had made history - now it was time to celebrate!!!

1 April 2015

March Games Summary

Game 1 – Leicester (a), Premier League game 29
View attachment 286551
Our celebrations following the Capital One Cup win had extended long into the night so I wasn’t sure how quickly we would start this game. I didn’t have to wait long for our first goal though as Austin was brought down just inside the area after a nice run. Ulvestad stepped up to take the penalty on his full debut and mad no mistake. Unfortunately the lead didn’t last long as our tormentor from our first game this season against Leicester Kramaric found Schlupp in the area and he buried his shot to even things up.

Ulvestad though was having himself a game and he burst onto a low Holiett cross to restore our lead before Hoillett scored our third just before half time with a neat finish. Austin scored a weird goal on the hour mark when, as he closed down a backpass, the Leicester keeper Schmeichel’s clearance was straight into him and the rebound flew into the goal. Kramaric wouldn’t be denied a goal though and he scored in the 65th​ minute to make it 4-2 and it would remain that way until the final whistle.

Game 2 – Southampton (h), Premier League game 30
View attachment 286550
We challenged the boys to pick up where they had left off and but for the linesman’s flag we would have had a goal in the first 2 mins but Austin was adjudged to have been offside – tight call there. We got the goal our play had deserved in the 15th​ minute as Vargas crashed the ball in following a scramble from a corner. 5 minutes before the break Austin got his goal too. A nice fake left Alderweireld sprawled on the ground and he slotted home past Nyland.

Austin scored his second and third in 2 matches when Southampton failed to clear a free kick and the ball fell to him nicely - he seems to be rejuvenated after his extended break whilst Griffith was lighting it up. We ended up running out convincing 3 nil winners – a good result against a good Southampton team.

Game 3 – Manchester United (a), Premier League game 31
View attachment 286549
We set up very similarly to how we played Chelsea in the Capital One Cup final here and it appeared to be working early on when we took the lead through Nedum Onuoha. It was a funny goal in that his initial header struck the post before coming out and rebounding of De Gea’s back into the goal. From that point on whilst possession was similar Man U were creating all the chances and they restored parity through a Van Persie free kick just after the half hour mark and then were quickly ahead as Mata found an inch of space on the edge of the area and made us pay.

Man U continued their dominance after the break and scored their 3rd​ goal quickly through Mata and then their 4th​ just before the hour mark when Van Persie picked out an unmarked Falcao however at this stage we were pushing for goals. The boys tried hard and we can hold our head high and say we came to Old Trafford and tried to play football rather than just defending for our lives but we just weren’t good enough.

March Table
View attachment 286548
With 7 games to go we are holding down 7th​ spot. With a 6 point gap to 8th​ placed Arsenal I expect that this is where we will finish. We are only 2 points behind City, who have just sacked Pellegrini, but I think their extra quality will show and they will hold onto 6th​. At the end of the day we have already qualified for the EURO Cup next season so the both all have that to look forward too. Now it’s about earning as much prize money as possible.

April Fixtures
View attachment 286547
April is a kinder month again in terms of fixtures with only the 3 Premier League games on our slate. The derby away at Chelsea is the one we have circled on the calendar as we know they will be itching for revenge.

1 May 2015

April Games Summary

Game 1 – Sunderland (h), Premier League game 32
View attachment 286524
Game started brightly with Phillips being brought down in the area for a penalty after only 4 mins. Kranjcar continued to be perfect from the spot. Griffiths then extended our lead collecting a Taarabt cross at the near post and firing home from a very tight angle.
Onuoha fired us 3 in front stealing in behind as Sunderland tried to play offside and volleying Taarabt’s free kick home. Austin scored our 4th​ rising highest to meet a Gomez cross before unleashing a header that gave Pantillimon no chance

Game 2 – Chelsea (a), Premier League game 33
View attachment 286523
Man they were really up for this one and we were one goal down after 3 minutes after Diego Costa bundled in a Cuardado cross. We dominated possession for the rest of the half but struggled to create any meaningful chances. A Ramires red card appeared to create an opportunity for us to come back into the game but Fabragas put pay to that idea whipping home a free kick in the 67th​ minute. From there we kept trying but to no avail. Chelsea were too good today.

Game 3 – West Brom (h), Premier League game 34
View attachment 286522
We took the lead on 14 minutes as Griffiths turned in a Matt Phillips cross and it was that man Griffiths again 4 minutes late who doubled our lead with a smartly taken chance. Although we would continue to dominate both possession and chances created the score line would finish at 2 nil. Another comfortable outing.

April Table
View attachment 286521
Still in 7th​. We’ve extended our lead over 6th​ placed Arsenal so only a complete capitulation now will see us finish any lower than we are considering there are only 4 games left to play. City have floundered a bit since replacing Pellegrini with Unai Emery however their remaining schedule seems to suggest they should have no problem winning every game.

May Fixtures
View attachment 286520
We’ve still got two very tough fixtures to navigate with Everton away and Arsenal at home opening our May slate.

26 May 2015

May Games Summary

Game 1 – Everton (a), Premier League game 35
View attachment 286512We got off to a flyer in the 2nd​ minute. A corner was cleared out to Ulverstad loitering on the edge of the 18yr and he lashed it home. I don’t think Howard even had time to move before that one was past him! Unfortunately the lead didn’t last as Lukaku beat McCarthy with a well-placed shot in the 26th​ minute.

There was time for some late drama as Besic received his marching orders in time added on but unfortunately we couldn’t take advantage and the game finished in a draw.

Game 2 – Arsenal (h), Premier League game 36
View attachment 286511
After an even first half it was that man who can’t stop scoring Griffiths who opened our account with a neat finish after a collecting a mistimed clearance just prior to half time. He then doubled our advantage with a free kick early in the 2nd​. Oxlade-Chamberlain clawed one back for Arsenal just after the hour mark with a finish from a very tight angle that McCarthy would like to have done better with. That would end the scoring as we held on to get a win that was no more than we deserved given our good performance in this

Game 3 – Hull (a), Premier League game 37
View attachment 286510
It was a very cagey first half in which both teams struggled to fashion any real chances of note. Overall though I felt we had been the better side and let the boys know to keep it up and the goal would come. Unfortunately the second half continued along the exact same trajectory. It was unfortunate we had been so flat as we had a real chance of catching either Everton, City or both for 6th​ or even 5th​ spot. Fortunately for us Everton had the Liverpool derby this weekend and the reds were victorious whilst City had a loss away to Swansea. Just need to stop thinking about what have been with the extra 2 points…

Game 4 – West Ham (h), Premier League game 38
View attachment 286509
Not gonna lie. That one hurts. 63% to 37% possession. 25 to 5 shots and to be sucker punched like that after they had been reduced to 10 was like a kick in the balls. To make matters worse we dropped out of that 6th​ position we had worked so hard for and finshed the season in 7th​. I’m sure in time I will look back at the season as a whole and feel proud but for now I’m angry…

Season 14/15 Final Table
View attachment 286508
Really disappointed with that final result now. 3 points there would have put us in 5th​ and earned the club an additional £2.1 million in prize money.

What a season! Well done!

Thanks mate. A bit gutted we didn't finish as well as I would have liked but across the whole season really its nothing to complain about. Should have a decent budget too for next season to help with pushing on to greater heights!

1 June 2015

Email from the Boss

____________________________________________________________________________________________

To: [email protected]
Subject: Performance Review
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Les,

Just a quick email to let you know that it is performance review time. I got you scheduled in for Wednesday the 3rd​ at 9.00am. See below for a quick dashboard summary of our happiness to date to help you with your preparation.

View attachment 286505

See you Wedensday.

Regards,
Tony Fernandes
Chairman, Queens Park Rangers
View attachment 286503

Last edited:
Great season mate, well done on the cup win as well.. Top four next season??

Haha - we can only hope. The feeling I got playing most of my games was that we were good enough to beat any team that wasn't United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham. So if I can finish top 6 this year considering I will have European competition to contend with I will be happy.

3 June 2015

Review Time

View attachment 286486

TF: First off Les I just wanted to ask if you had any questions about the dashboard?

LF: Look the only one I really had was about the “Job Status” category.

TF: Allow me to explain. Essentially we provide weightings for each category based on a number of set criteria. This particular category takes in account particulars from your contract such as how much you earn and how long remaining you have to arrive at a ‘score’. Seeing as your contract is nearly up and you don’t earn a whole heap it returns a low score. But that’s something I want to rectify. We want to keep you long term. How does a contract of £10,000 a week running to 30 June 2017 sound?

LF: Make it 12k a week and we have a deal.

TF: Done. Now moving onto the rest of the review personally I am ecstatic with what you achieved this year. To make Europe and stay well within budget is an amazing feat. The FA cup exit was a bit of a disappointment but I understand you needed to give some guys a rest so you get a pass mark there especially when you take into consideration the Capital One Cup win. Great Job.

LF: Thanks Boss.

TF: Now I wanted to talk to you about next season goals and budgets – did you have any thoughts there?

LF: Look I know the club may not feel this way but I wont be happy unless we exceed this year’s achievements. I expect to qualify for Europe again.

TF: You know, I had a feeling you would say that so I’ve already drawn up a budget that I think will help you get there. Hows does a £22.5 million transfer kitty and a bump in the wage budget to £1.5 million a week sound? I know you’re still spending less than a mill a week but I know you will need a bit of extra quality now that our goals have been brought forward.

LF: Sounds good to me. But I’ll tell you now this stays in-house. I don’t want the press getting wind of what we have to spend as I fully intent to stick to our plan. Its working so far for us.

TF: It certainly is. One other thing. The youth facilities upgrade you requested earlier in the year.

LF: Yes?

TF: They’ve started. Will be done before Christmas.

LF: Awesome new boss. Steve and Paul will be chuffed to bits.

TF: On the subject of staff I know you have your strategy day next Monday. Who goes to them?

LF: Just me, Steve Coppell, Kevin Bond, Steve Gallen, Simon Ireland and Paul Furlong.

TF: What about Kevin. How have you found him this season?

LF: OK. He’s good in the change rooms but frankly he’s practically worthless on the training fields. I pretty much sit on every session he does.

TF: Can we replace him?

LF: I guess so I’ll have to look around, are you thinking before Monday?

TF: Would seem to me to be the perfect time if you are thinking of it. Also look at the rest of the coaching staff. You have full control in that area now.

LF: Thanks Boss.

TF: Look other than that there’s nothing else I wanted to say other than can I have another season like this one. It was a blast.

LF: I’ll do my best Boss.

8 June 2015

End of Season Strategy Session

I started “Ok gents welcome to the strategy session today. First off I want to start up by saying that you’ll all notice that Kevin isn’t with us. Now Kevin was a good bloke but I wasn’t happy with how he was running his sessions in training and I feel that I can manage the dressing room without him. Without further ado may I please introduce to you our new Assistant Manger, Jaap Stam. Jaap you’ll know Steve Coppell, the other guys are Steven Gallen, Paul Furlong and Simon Ireland”. I continued “Jaap’s here because he offers the expertise at the other end of the field to me. There aren’t many people on this earth who know more about defensive technique than this man so I’m very pleased to have him on our team.”

View attachment 286464
Former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam has joined QPR as an Assistant Manager.

“So, to that end, you would have all got the memo about us moving to a 4-3-3 this season. Let’s start with the defence. Jaap, you’ve spent the last 24 hours watching DVD’s of us, care to give us your thoughts?” I enquired. Jaap stood and delivered “Steven is very good, his distribution could be a little better, but defensively very sound. Nedum is good for what he is but if we want to push higher up the table he could be replaced. Left back is a problem area unless Jack Robinson impresses on his return. Right back is sorted with Loic coming in and Gomez gives good depth. Otherwise everyone else is expendable. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait and see with a few of these guys”. “Good, that’s the sort of honesty I want!” I said.

“Ok lets move into midfield. Other than Sandro who can play the DM spot?” Coppell started “Diakite and Faurlin both offer good depth. We are set there”. “It the CM spots where we could come unstuck. Sandro and Fer are probably our best two in there and Ulverstad is good depth but I wouldn’t want to rely on either of Fuarlin or Diakite in there long term.” “Ok, I said. If the scouts identify a good pure CM in our price range we’ll take a closer look”.

“Winger now, Paul you always fancied yourself more as a flying winger than a fullback” I jibed. “Ha, ha” he replied sarcastically and then continued “Look we are pretty set here. Taarabt’s our starter out on the left wing and Phillips on the right. Hoilett backs up both spots. We could use a depth signing here, maybe a young guy, but that’s all we really need”. “Cheers Paul” I replied “and I’ll handle up front. I’m happy going with Charlie and Griffiths as 1a and 1b and keeping Mason in reserve as youth depth.”

“The only spot we didn’t touch is keeper” Said Gal. “Well McCarthy is clearly number 1 and Eastwood is there if we need him right?” I said. “Yeah look with Eastwood, I’m not sayin he wont get there but he hasn’t improved as we’d have liked so if we had to rely on him for more than a game or two I’d be worried. I’m not saying we need to run out and splash the cash but maybe an older, out of contract guy, on a cheap free transfer for a year might be worthwhile.” Steve continued. “Noted” I said. “So out of that we all think the main spots we need to look at are a experienced keeper on a free and a young backup for the CM and winger spots?” Everyone nodded. “Ok well if you guys spot anyone be sure to let me know. I’ll go have a word with the scouts and see if they having worth checking out.”

View attachment 286453

QPR Announce Silva Signing

By Adam Bate

Last Updated: 19/06/15 12:54pm

Queens Park Rangers completed the signing of midfielder Lucas Silva from Real Madrid on Friday.

The midfielder signed a three year deal and is expected to feature prominently for Rangers next season.

QPR didn’t announce the signing fee for the 22 year old Brazilian international but it is known that Real had transfer listed Silva with a £4.9 million asking price.

Real Madrid will be disappointed to post such a loss on a player they paid £10.5 million for only earlier this season but Silva could only manage 10 appearances for the Madrid club’s ‘Castilla’ 2nd​ division side so they have looked to cut their losses.

Silva admitted he seized the chance to “show what I can do” in joining the Premier League with QPR after his frustrating run with Real.

“I know I need this. I need to play and QPR have given me the opportunity to show what I can do.” said Silva. It is understood though that as part of the negotiations Silva’s camp was insistent that he be the highest earner at the club among other outrageous clauses but the club stood firm in their offer and he has joined on a contract that fits within the club’s wage structure.

Ferdinand will hope Silva can boost QPR’s control of the midfield alongside fellow Brazilian Sandro in the Loftus Road club’s push to challenge the teams that finished above them.

“We’re really please to bring Lucas in. He’s a good footballer, someone with great ability who can dictate play from the centre of the park,” said Ferdinand. “He’s someone our scouting team took a closer look at when we heard he was transfer listed and although he will want to put the last 12 months behind him we feel he can be a key player for us next season. Furthermore he fits within the plan Tony and I are implementing here.”

View attachment 286452
Lucas Silva will be taking his talents to West London

Last edited:
View attachment 286299

QPR follow up sensational Silva singing with Grealish announcement

View attachment 286298

QPR have today announced the singing of Jack Grealish from recently relegated Aston Villa

Jack Grealish was today presented to the media at the clubs Harlington training base after they were successful in securing the signature of one of the brightest young talents in the English game. Grealish, who is eligible to play for Ireland and has 4 caps to his name, made his Aston Villa debut in season 13/14 but it was last season's efforts in what was a disappointing campaign for Villa that caught the eye of R's Manager Les Ferdinand.

"We saw firsthand his talent last season. I remember thinking during the game at Loftus Road where he scored against us and was really the only player they had that we were afraid of that if the opportunity ever came up to sign him for a reasonable price I would jump at it. Thankfully for us, due to Villa's relegation the offer we made was acceptable to them - it certainly wouldn't have even been in the ballpark if they were still in the premiership." Ferdinand said.

With many estimates being thrown around it seems the consensus is that the fee paid by Rangers is around 8 million pounds. A figure that represents amazing value if Grealish can live up to his talent.

View attachment 286296
Grealish, shown here in action against Arsenal, is
regarded as one of the bright young talents in English football.

15 Aug 2015

Preseason and Transfers

Preseason
View attachment 286215
A decent preseason. The result against Correcaminos was disappointing but other than that I was happy. We qualified easily for the EURO Cup handling Vaduz 6 nil on aggregate. Most importantly - no major injuries.

Transfers
View attachment 286213
Other than Silva and Grealish our other purchases were all essentially frees. Vigurs to provide wing backup, Nestor to replace Isla as my 1st choice right back and Boruc to provide veteran cover for McCarthy in goal. I still have quite a bit (approx 8m) in my transfer budget so if a hole becomes apparent during the season I can fill it in January. Also on the outs it was addition by subtraction. My wage bill overall has come down by 150k a week and is sitting at less than half of budget. Starting from now essentially I will be looking to buy quality.

cracking updates mate, keep them coming. Hope silva delivers for you, should be an interesting season ahead!.

cracking updates mate, keep them coming. Hope silva delivers for you, should be an interesting season ahead!.

Thanks mate! He had a good preseason and I've gotten through a few games in August and he has popped up with some goals. I was expecting him to be more a playmaker for us but the goals are welcome too!

1 September 2015

August Games Summary

Game 1 Burnley (h), Premier League game 1
View attachment 285835
Game started relatively even until we took the lead through Griffiths in the 11th minute. After that we began to dominate and it wasn’t long before Griffiths had his and our second. Burnley pulled one back just before halftime through a Jones free kick but Lucas Silva restored our two goal lead with his first premier league goal – a wonder strike from distance. Griffiths had his hat trick on the hour with a sweet free kick and although Barnes would score a late consolation goal for Burnley in truth we were never troubled.

Game 2 – FC Midtjylland (h), EURO Cup Playoff leg 1
View attachment 285834
We started well and took the lead through Charlie Austin after he turned in a Grealish cross in the 33rd​ minute. We extended our lead in the 63rd​ minute as Grealish scored with a good finish. Ulvestad then put us 3 ahead in the 71st​ slamming home from close range and Bennet got in on the action in the 80th​ sliding home. Most importantly though – no away goals conceded.

Game 3 – Man City(a), Premier League game 2
View attachment 285833
First real test of the new formation and the early signs were good as we took the lead through that man Leigh Griffiths in the 11th​ minute. City got back on even terms though after 25 when Aguero did what Aguero does – unstoppable. He soon sent City in front with a neat finish before Toure gave them another goal from a free kick and then Aguero got his hat trick before half time. The stats showed that we weren’t playing that bad at half time but it’s the score line in the end that counts. Kompany scored a late 5th​ and the rout was complete. We came to try and send a message to the league that we were ready to play with the big boys – instead we head back to London with our tails between our legs…

Game 4 – FC Midtjylland (a), EURO Cup Playoff leg 2
View attachment 285831
Well that was pretty ****. We’re through, thankfully, but that kind of performance won’t cut it against the better sides in the EURO Cup. We started flat and went down in the 9th​ minute to a Tim Sparv header. Thankfully Midtjylland didn’t exploit our malaise more. I need better than this from this group as they will be relied upon in all cup competitions this season to keep the squad fresh.

Game 5 – Arsenal (h), Premier League game 3
View attachment 285830
The game started evenly enough however it was Arsenal who took the lead through an Alexis Sanchez free kick in the 10th​ minute. From the restart though Arsenal were down to 10 men as Debuchy was sent off for a moment of madness when he elbowed Taraabt. The scoreboard was even when an attempted Mertersacker clearance rebounded off Garay into the net – we’ll take it!

From there with the man advantage it was only really ever one team that was going to win and we took control scoring first through Onuoha and the Bennett to round out a 3-1 win.

August table
View attachment 285829
We’re ‘only’ sitting 7th​ after August but seeing as we had to play Arsenal and City this month that’s nothing to be ashamed about.

September Fixtures
View attachment 285828
The trip to Anfield is the big game on the horizon but looking at the other fixtures we will be hoping to build on our league position this month.

Player of the Month
View attachment 285827View attachment 285826
Leigh was awarded the Premier League player of the month after scoring 4 goals in his 3 league games. Let’s hope his fine form continues. The Scottish striker has been a revelation since joining scoring 15 league goals in 18 league appearances.