Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Another noobish question inbound...What are possession shouts? I've never used them that much when using your tactics. Do they make much difference? And could you post them here? :)

hey bud, yeah they do!

1) retain possession
2) play out of defence
3) play through defence
4) work ball into box
5) hassle oppenents

these are normally what I use all the time!

you can also use:

1) play narrower
2) exploit middle
3) take a breather (if leading, just increases time wasting if it is left as default)

Mentality 14 , freedom 7 , pass 3 , tempo 3 , width 7 , closing 16 , time waste 8 , defense line 19 and tackling easy... focus pass is though middle, man marking, tight marking , counter attack , target man and playmaker ticked...
yeh still i cannot figure anything about 100 pass... and my right back makes more pass than playmaker...
and can u tell me a good deeplying playmaker... i am playing with chelsea... thnx...

Last edited:
Hi Raikan,

Firstly, what a great guide.

Just a couple of questions for you:

1. How do you enable the numbers in team instructions for width, tempo, etc
2. I'm keeping possession well, using Stockport and currently in League 2. Usually between 60-70% per game. However my team struggle to create goalscoring chances. I play a 4-2-3-1 with the wider AM set further out with an inside forward role and they both insist on running with the ball and crossing too much. Even after setting both to rarely. Any tips?

Hi Raikan,

Firstly, what a great guide.

Just a couple of questions for you:

1. How do you enable the numbers in team instructions for width, tempo, etc
2. I'm keeping possession well, using Stockport and currently in League 2. Usually between 60-70% per game. However my team struggle to create goalscoring chances. I play a 4-2-3-1 with the wider AM set further out with an inside forward role and they both insist on running with the ball and crossing too much. Even after setting both to rarely. Any tips?

hey bud :) thanks!

1) its a file you have to download (some skins have it already I think)
2) check their PPM's (preferred movements) to see if they counter act your instructions, otherwise, tone down their freedom so that they will do exactly what you instruct them too!

Thanks mate.

Just noticed that my AML has runs with ball down left PPM. As for the crossing, I'll just keep experimenting until I get the perfect technique.

Also, what would be the basic role pre-PI adjustments for my lone forward. At present I'm using a Trequartista but he seems to drop a little too deep and then not be available for a goalscoring opportunity

Thanks mate.

Just noticed that my AML has runs with ball down left PPM. As for the crossing, I'll just keep experimenting until I get the perfect technique.

Also, what would be the basic role pre-PI adjustments for my lone forward. At present I'm using a Trequartista but he seems to drop a little too deep and then not be available for a goalscoring opportunity

pretty much that :) that is my perfect poacher settings :) but remember, if you dont have the right service the player wont score not matter what you instruct him to do :)

these settings are good if you have two Cm's as well playing through balls often! AMC is not suggested for your league, a good old fashioned DM is great with IF's cutting inside, crossing sometimes and through balls sometimes

you can set TM - run onto ball for the striker as well if you like!

Ok, I'm using Poacher as lone forward, AM set as a Treq (he has high attributes for this role), ST set as target man with run onto ball.
Holding the ball and passing quite well, just have a little issue where my AMR - Inside Forward isn't getting involved in build up or passes that much.

Hi Raikan I could do with yours and some other people's help regarding my tactic and scoring goals. (hope you dont mind it being a lengthy post didnt feel like i should start a new thread)

The issue i'm having is that i've dominated my first few games trying to implament a passing style at Liverpool , similar to Brendan Rodgers. But despite dominating, i seem to create minimal chances and when i do they are inevitably missed. Basically are there any tweaks i can make to keep the volume of possesion and perhaps increase the number of passes per player whilst creating more chances and hope they're finished. Or is it good as is, and just hope the floodgates will open soon.

The tactic

Team Instructions

Shouts

Player Instructions:

Joe Allen - The Fulcrum

Suarez - Striker

Sterling & Borinin - Inside Forwards

LFC v Fulham:

Match Facts

LFC Stats

LFC V Wigan

Match Facts

LFC Stats

do you like possession as in getting over 100 passes for a couple of players, or do you like possession (as in 65% plus but scoring 3 or 4 goals with only say 50 passes for a couple of players?)

I'd ideally like 65% possesion with the Fulcrum achieving over 100 passes other players passing can be significantly reduced

I'd ideally like 65% possesion with the Fulcrum achieving over 100 passes other players passing can be significantly reduced

try this:

play defensive (make sure that all players roles are set to defualt on their mentality) so changing the strategy affects this! play more expressive freedom but keep players passing short (manually edited) and no long shots, through balls sometimes, no running (except your wingers) with ball and run from deep set to often for everyone excluding your CB's :)

leave the CB's as is! they must not have attacking or high freedom!

see if that makes any difference for the time being!

Set Allen to move into channels and give him a free role! this will allow him (along with more freedom) to make space for him to receive a pass!

what are the CM's instructions? get them to run from deep sometimes and moving into channels as well to help create a midfield triangle in front of/ with Allen!

Hey everyone.

Am currently in 2028 with Spurs. I have been trying to create a possession based tactic last season with enough goal scoring opportunities. What I'm basically aiming at is stats like the Barcelona-Arsenal CL game in 2011. An average of 700-800 passes and 5-10 really good chances. I consider some half chances to be as good as CCC so I look at both of them.

I've played 20 games now with 3 slightly different versions of my original tactic. With the first one I never got past 450-500 passes. The first game with the second version gave me 591 passes at home against Man Utd. But by the 7th game the amount of passes had dropped back to 470.

View attachment 278126

For the latest version I took Raikain's advice to reduce the creative freedom to 3 clicks for all players except my DLP, two AMCs and Poacher (all 11 clicks). I also changed to tight zonal marking for each player (what I believe Barcelona does in real life). My WMs are now on support, move into channels and run with ball rarely and I reduced their mentality from 13 to 10 clicks. I gave my poacher run with ball sometimes instead of often so he would become more involved with the passing. My WMs, AMCs and poacher all have move into channels.

View attachment 278129

I've only used it for 1 home game and 3 away games for now, with over 600 passes on 3 occasions.

View attachment 278130View attachment 278131View attachment 278132

I had over 10 good chances (CCC + half chances) in these games, and I have scored an average of 3.2 goals with +/- 75% possession in the 20 games I have played with a possession based tactic so far. I would still like to rake up 700+ passes a game though, without losing any CCC and half chances. Any ideas?

The reason I give my DLP so much creativity is simply because he's the most allround MC I've ever seen on the game. He gives several key passes each game and had 44 assists last season (he's also my corner and free kick taker). So far he only gave 100+ passes in one game. Is there a way to increase his passes without losing his key passes (or does the game also count a good corner or indirect free kick as a key pass?).

View attachment 278133

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone.

Am currently in 2028 with Spurs. I have been trying to create a possession based tactic last season with enough goal scoring opportunities. What I'm basically aiming at is stats like the Barcelona-Arsenal CL game in 2011. An average of 700-800 passes and 5-10 really good chances. I consider some half chances to be as good as CCC so I look at both of them.

I've played 20 games now with 3 slightly different versions of my original tactic. With the first one I never got past 450-500 passes. The first game with the second version gave me 591 passes at home against Man Utd. But by the 7th game the amount of passes had dropped back to 470.

View attachment 278126

For the latest version I took Raikain's advice to reduce the creative freedom to 3 clicks for all players except my DLP, two AMCs and Poacher (all 11 clicks). I also changed to tight zonal marking for each player (what I believe Barcelona does in real life). My WMs are now on support, move into channels and run with ball rarely and I reduced their mentality from 13 to 10 clicks. I gave my poacher run with ball sometimes instead of often so he would become more involved with the passing. My WMs, AMCs and poacher all have move into channels.

View attachment 278129

I've only used it for 1 home game and 3 away games for now, with over 600 passes on 3 occasions.

View attachment 278130View attachment 278131View attachment 278132

I had over 10 good chances (CCC + half chances) in these games, and I have scored an average of 3.2 goals with +/- 75% possession in the 20 games I have played with a possession based tactic so far. I would still like to rake up 700+ passes a game though, without losing any CCC and half chances. Any ideas?

The reason I give my DLP so much creativity is simply because he's the most allround MC I've ever seen on the game. He gives several key passes each game and had 44 assists last season (he's also my corner and free kick taker). So far he only gave 100+ passes in one game. Is there a way to increase his passes without losing his key passes (or does the game also count a good corner or indirect free kick as a key pass?).

View attachment 278133

Thanks in advance.

hi, i´d love to try your tactic if you don´t mind sharing it

I've uploaded the tactic (Spurs possession 3-2-2-2-1) but it's still in moderation queu. Have been working on a new one though, because I feel the WMs don't contribute enough while going forward. Am using 2 inside forwards and 5 central (A)MCs. Getting more passes and goals scored is about the same. It's not fluid yet so if it keeps going well I can give you that tactic too.

Looking for a few tips...

I've got a decent possession tactic which does as it says on tin, I've got a back up version which creates chances...

What key things should I concider When creating an away version?

Width? Closing down? Tempo? Defensive line?

I guess run with ball, try through balls, should be used more? As well as a longer passing range? but what about creativity should it be increased to allow more movement or reduced to become more rigid?

Cheers

Steve

Looking for a few tips...

I've got a decent possession tactic which does as it says on tin, I've got a back up version which creates chances...

What key things should I concider When creating an away version?

Width? Closing down? Tempo? Defensive line?

I guess run with ball, try through balls, should be used more? As well as a longer passing range? but what about creativity should it be increased to allow more movement or reduced to become more rigid?

Cheers

Steve

I find (with the correct players) playing a defensive strategy but using high freedom does wonders away from home. playing narrow/short etc and keeping the original style of tactic, but ensuring that the players individual settings change when you make the changes to the team instructions change along with it.. having the players mentality and freedom left to defualt will make these changes more effective!

Should Central Defenders be instructed to tackle easy or normal?