Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

thanks for your quick reply, after i posted my original request i came accross awesome Amc.tac which is one of yours i believe?
i was wondering which would you recommend ? Awesome Amc or Spanish National Team? they are similar but my intial thoughts is that i would prefer the spanish one as i prefer man marking to zonal, but i have noticed you use a link player in the ST role, i will be trying the tactic with newcastle i have Ba, Cissie, and Welbeck what role should i play them? and also i can play Cabaye as DLP but what should i play Tiote as?

after i posted my request i came accross Awesome AMC.tac (which i believe one of yours) i was gonna try that until i saw your reply which one would you rcommend for newcatle fist season? i like man marking more than zonal but then i like inside forwards rather than Advance playmakers, so bit of both tactics? lol

hey bud, they are different, completely :) Spanish one is possession based, the AMC one is attacking based :)

For Newcastle, these two: the Dm 433 seems to work extremely well with everyone who has used it as Newcastle :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...408-raikan007s-swoop-there-433-dm-tactic.html

This 442 I think would work really well with Cisse/Ba upfront :) with a good few wingers signings (Sell Obertan/Guiterrez) http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ew-attacking-possession-tactic-raikan007.html

let me know, good luck :)

oh and this works well too:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...mplete-madness-tactic-433-dm.html#post1523750

Don, it takes quite a while for the tactic to become effective! give it time :)

Thats what Im finding... Im in 2021 and Iv taken over at Villa after being Charlton and AC... My last season at AC I made a big switch from an attacking 4-1-2-1-2 to playing a possession 3-4-1-2 it ended up working wonders but I completed the treble and after 5 years I felt I had finally ended the Spanish dominance in my game...

Now Im at Villa who were just promoted and struggling financially... I have implemented the same principles as the AC tactic but I use a more conventional 4-3-3 (DM).. But some how I have unwittingly managed to create a tactic which is extremely solid defensively... I currently sit 12th after 11 games, 2wins (both 1-0 Liverpool and United), 6 draws (5 0-0's) and 3 defeats... I have the best defensive record in the league but my attack is the worst I struggle to create CCC's and my strikers are extremely poor... A budget of 9m and a squad of 10 players when I took over hasnt helped but Im doing well with what I have...

TL;DR: I just want to endorse the 'give it time' motto especially the possession tactics they seem to take longer to implement my 3-4-1-2 took a lot of time before it was firing on all cylinders but when I finally faced Barca in the Champo league I dominated them... At Villa things are similar (altho I dont have the stars I had at AC) I can dominate teams and prevent them from scoring but I do get frustrated at my teams failure to take chances and at times even create them...
But Im certain if I continue to tweak this formation I will see results so stick with your tactic and give it time...

Just wanted to share this information (more detailed can be found on guidetofootballmanager.com).

For any possession tactic (existing or in development) you need to know the following:

You players (at any position) should have at least the folowing skills:
- Positioning = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling
- Anticipation = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling + receiving pass + making a pass
- Decisions = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling + receiving pass + making a pass
- Concentration = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling + making a pass
- Composure = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling + receiving pass + making a pass
- Work rate = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling
- Aggression = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling
- Determination = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling
- Acceleration = needed for : intercepting pass + tackling
- Marking = needed for : tackling
- Bravery = needed for : tackling
- Tackling = needed for : tackling
- Off the ball = needed for : receiving pass
- Agility = needed for : receiving pass
- Balance = needed for : receiving pass
- Pace = needed for : receiving pass
- First touch = needed for : receiving pass
- Technique = needed for : receiving pass + making a pass
- Strength = needed for : receiving pass
- Creativity = needed for : making a pass
- Teamwork = needed for : making a pass
- Passing = needed for : making a pass

As for you goalscoring player(s):
- Creativity
- Decisions
- Composure
- Finishing
- Technique

This information should enable you to somewhat understand what is needed for the tactical position settings when creating your own tactic but just as well shows you what skills your players need to have for being able to play the game according to your tactical settings.

In my opinion:
- it would be wise to NOT tight mark for tactical reasons (please correct me when I am wrong, but please explain why as well).
- do NOT value scout reports too much as for quality and potential of a player but rather use the scout to find out if the player is willing to sign for your club and at what cost and if he would fit teams character.
- pay a bit more attention to your training schedules and training staff.
- try to develop training schedules that are specialy made for your tactic.

If I am wrong at any point please correct me as I am still learning myself as well and no one should be provid any misinformation.

edit: the skills mentioned here should be 11 or higher but never lower then 6

Last edited:
well I like using a 4-1-3-2 formation...would that work out?I used balanced with more pressure...closing down default and rest default. I would like possession game as well so I make use of my wing backs to support the attack and leave my CB to defend...Midfielder is a playmaker which is Joe Allen and the rest form "3-2" are up all in front. I use short passing with quick tempo.

well I like using a 4-1-3-2 formation...would that work out?I used balanced with more pressure...closing down default and rest default. I would like possession game as well so I make use of my wing backs to support the attack and leave my CB to defend...Midfielder is a playmaker which is Joe Allen and the rest form "3-2" are up all in front. I use short passing with quick tempo.

dont see why not

How do you make those lines on your players? - Like CB's have a backwards line, Also MC's and wingers? - Never figured out how you did that

How do you make those lines on your players? - Like CB's have a backwards line, Also MC's and wingers? - Never figured out how you did that

hey bud, thats classic tactics.. you can convert any of your tactics into the classic version with a click of a button :)

Hey raikan, i tried out this possesions stuff, and did alot of stuff what you said in this discussion, and read alot of response back.

However im playing Chelsea with a 4-2-3-1 Formation, However i cannot get good possesion in my games is this because this formation sucks to keep possesion? more like a counter attack, like RMD's?

Im open to other formations aswell, i dont just dont how i would fit my players in...

Right now im Playing

Cech
Azpillicueta - Cahil - Luiz - Cole
Mikel Lampard
Hulk Mata Hazard
Torres/Benzema

451/433/442 are good formations to start with..

I have a 2-8-0 tactic that keeps possession very nicely to run out games when I am in the lead etc.. so formations don't really matter, team instructions and player settings are what make a good possession tactic ;)

so start with a 433 or something then make the changes to the settings...

Not sure if this is gonna help anyone but I noticed that when you play with wingers its best to play a smaller and when you do not have wingers its best to play wider.

This way you balance the space between players and the distance should be about the same whether you play with or without wingers.

For example:

4 (dr-dc-dc-dl)-4(mr-mc-mc-mr)-2(ac-ac) is a wide set-up by nature, decrease the width to get your players closer together for more successful passes.

2 (dc-dc)-8(dm-dm-dm-mc-mc-amc-amc-amc)-0 is a compact set-up by nature, increase the width to create more space for your players to find a position to receive or provide the pass.

Now I could be wrong here, but if you have 1 natural narrow tactic set wider and 1 natural wide tactic set smaller the distance between players on the pitch will be about equal but your tactical approach could be a whole other world...could give you a major advantage when switching tactics during the match.

But then again...if I am wrong here...please correct me.

Hi Raikan, I have a small question about what you mentioned on the first page... quote: "For closing down (the thing most people have issues with) I have a simple solution that works really well for me, have every player (save for your out and out goalscorer)".. I can´t clearly understand part "save for your out and out goalscorer", becouse of my english is not so good... do you mean, that all players should have the same settings in closing down, except of my ST?

Hi Raikan. First of all, I must say thank you. Your guide helped me won EPL 3 years in a row with Tottenham.
Now I'm playing 4-3-3 with Swansea. Somehow I feel that my MC's are often bypassed(most of the time it's fullbacks-wingers-strikers, My passing focus in on mixed) and my GK,DFs are still hitting hopeless long balls despite the short passing instructions. How to fix these?

Hey guys , for any of us using of barca here , I think I have perfected tiki taka , in terms of when you have the ball but I dont dominate possesion as much as i would like to , anyway take a gander at my tactic friends tell me what you think, for this tactic it would be optimum to play a backline of Dani Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Jordi Alba , or players similar to them , busquets at DM , Xavi as the RCM and Iniesta at LCM , Messi at false 9 and Pedro, Sanchez, Villa, ETC as the inside forwards

Hey guys , for any of us using of barca here , I think I have perfected tiki taka , in terms of when you have the ball but I dont dominate possesion as much as i would like to , anyway take a gander at my tactic friends tell me what you think, for this tactic it would be optimum to play a backline of Dani Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Jordi Alba , or players similar to them , busquets at DM , Xavi as the RCM and Iniesta at LCM , Messi at false 9 and Pedro, Sanchez, Villa, ETC as the inside forwards

if you want to get people to try your tactic I suggest making your own thread!

Hi Raikan,Ive made a possession based 4-2-3-1 tactic and its working,everything is ok except one thing. no one gives the ball to my striker... I dont understand. Im not scoring enough cause of this. do you have an idea ?

sorry for english.

if you want to get people to try your tactic I suggest making your own thread!
I was kinda hoping You could give me some tips on how to get better pressing , that would help me improve it , I would have uploaded the tactic as my own but my laptop with FM crashed so i can upload screenshots at the moment , was hoping you would help me out