• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 126
  • Views Views 6K
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp blames referee Mark Clattenburg after Nani's controversial goal late in Manchester United's 2-0 win is allowed to stand.

More...

Play to the whistle Heurelho...

The referee made a poor decision, but Gomes shouldn't have dropped the ball in the manner he did.

*Shrug* I'm over it. I've become accustomed to dropping 6 points to United over the seasons. I'd rather we played 36 games and just handed over 6 points, and avoid injuries that way.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Bale had actually done something good with the ball after it had gone out of play and they'd have scored, he wouldn't be bemoaning anything.

lol, I saw the scoreline but never knew about the goal. Just watched it and to be fair to Nani, he asked the ref if he was able to play on.

No doubt Man Utd or SAF will get the usual moaning of "It was at Old trafford they get everything in their favour"..BUT!!
The only person to blame is Gomes..He should have waited til his area was clear..The ref clearly did not blow and just played on...Afterall Gomes had the ball..

No doubt Man Utd or SAF will get the usual moaning of "It was at Old trafford they get everything in their favour"..BUT!!
The only person to blame is Gomes..He should have waited til his area was clear..The ref clearly did not blow and just played on...Afterall Gomes had the ball..

Lets be honest here, Gomes is not the only one to blame, he thought it was a free kick because Nani blatently handballed it, the ref should have been clearer.

Lets be honest here, Gomes is not the only one to blame, he thought it was a free kick because Nani blatently handballed it, the ref should have been clearer.

How much clearer can he be, He either blows his whistle or he doesnt. and he didnt.

i was the ref's fault, nani was just clever enough to take the opportunity

the ref should have been clearer.

He was very clear.

He put his hands behind his back, and didn't put his whistle anywhere near his mouth, let alone blow it.

How Gomes can think that means ''free kick to Spurs'' I will never know.

Gomes also tried to take the 'free kick' ten yards away from the incident. Imo he blatantly has forgotten all about Nani and put the ball down in open play to punt downfield. If he was so adamant about the handball why wasn't he appealing before he put the ball down/the goal went in?

Last edited:
How much clearer can he be, He either blows his whistle or he doesnt. and he didnt.

Yes, but Gomes must have thought that it was a free kick seeing as Nani handballed it, if it was advantage then the ball should have been brought back, it also appeared as if Gomes was signalling to thre ref asking what to do and the ref has just shrugged.

Yes, but Gomes must have thought that it was a free kick seeing as Nani handballed it, if it was advantage then the ball should have been brought back, it also appeared as if Gomes was signalling to thre ref asking what to do and the ref has just shrugged.

Well the ref isnt meant to give Gomes advice on how to play the game. he never whistle so it was never a free kick, You had you advantage gomes just ****** it up, it isnt rugby where you hold the advantage for 10minutes.

Ref couldn't of been cleared ffs.

Play - to - the - ******* - whistle.

I'm sick of this play to the whistle bullshit. Even if you take it, no whistle = Nani handles the ball.

**** your play to the whistle, Nani is a cheating c*nt that I hate more than any other play in the game and **** like this is why.

a) Wasnt a penalty
b) He handballed, therefore game is stopped.

Clattenburg makes mistake after mistake after mistake so **** blaming Gomes.

Last edited:
why did the ref give an advantage though? nobody wanted to play advantage

Play should definitely have been stopped either from a handball by Nani, a penalty to Man Utd, or a freekick for diving. I don't see how play can continue after that situation, and I think it should have been one of those 3 outcomes. Advantage isn't given for a freekick in your own box.

I'm sick of this play to the whistle bullshit. Even if you take it, no whistle = Nani handles the ball.

**** your play to the whistle, Nani is a cheating c*nt that I hate more than any other play in the game and **** like this is why.

a) Wasnt a penalty
b) He handballed, therefore game is stopped.

Clattenburg makes mistake after mistake after mistake so **** blaming Gomes.

As stated before, the advantage rule isn't the same as Rugby. The ref allowed play to continue (would you rather Arsenals free flowing football was stopped for every incident?) which is what we want to see in football. Gomes then made a horrendous gaffe after being given advantage.

OK the point is Nani scored, end of. It may have been handball or free kick but the referee never said either. At the end of the day Nani scored, Manchester United won and I doubt had the goal been disallowed that it would have gone in favour of Spurs.

Have a nice day. (A)

I'm a goalkeeper, and i never ever put the ball down in my own box aside from a freekick (after I have clearly heard the whistle...) or a goalkick. Kicking off the ground gives no advantage over kicking out of hands, it just indulges most goalkeepers obsession with thinking that they can play outfield a bit.

I've seen too many gaffe videos where goalkeepers have put the ball down and a clever striker has nicked it from behind them and scored.

It's not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back