Redknapp bemoans 'farcical' goal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 126
  • Views Views 6K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your impossible to argue with, so I cba. I'll leave by saying I have done my level 2 badges and referee under 15's football on a Sunday, and I know for a fact that, everything in that situation was wrong. When a player falls over and handles the ball, it is either because it has been a foul against him, or he got it wrong and he has handled the ball. The latter is the case. Gomes cannot play advantage with Nani lying on the floor behind him, so he took the foul. He has every right to take the foul, as no immediate advantage was present. All the Tottenham players saw it this way as they walked away expecting Gomes to take his free-kick. Howler of a decision, argue all you want, I will leave it at that.

He has no right to 'take' a foul because no whistle was blown. It's schoolboy stuff.

Your impossible to argue with, so I cba. I'll leave by saying I have done my level 2 badges and referee under 15's football on a Sunday, and I know for a fact that, everything in that situation was wrong. When a player falls over and handles the ball, it is either because it has been a foul against him, or he got it wrong and he has handled the ball. The latter is the case. Gomes cannot play advantage with Nani lying on the floor behind him, so he took the foul. He has every right to take the foul, as no immediate advantage was present. All the Tottenham players saw it this way as they walked away expecting Gomes to take his free-kick. Howler of a decision, argue all you want, I will leave it at that.
You may have taken your badges mate but i'm fairly sure that the only one who can award a free kick is the ref. The referee didn't award the free kick so he shouldn't have tried to take a free kick.:S

You could argue that he should have brought the advantage back because there was no advantage to spurs.

Another point why was Ferdinand allowed to argue his point, while all the Tottenham players were sent away. The Spurs players were sent away because the linesman agreed that it was handball and no advantage was gained. So it should have been a foul.

Because he is 6 foot 2, built like a brick shithouse and he's England captain (H)

I'm a goalkeeper, and i never ever put the ball down in my own box aside from a freekick (after I have clearly heard the whistle...) or a goalkick. Kicking off the ground gives no advantage over kicking out of hands, it just indulges most goalkeepers obsession with thinking that they can play outfield a bit.

I've seen too many gaffe videos where goalkeepers have put the ball down and a clever striker has nicked it from behind them and scored.

It's not worth the risk.

Didn't Henry do this to Friedel or someone? (Though while he was kicking out of his hands if I remember correctly.)

Anyway, of course it was poor refereeing, but Gomes made an absolute prat of himself.

I think the ref was too scared of Fergie to blow the whistle for a free kick because of the grief fergie gives every ref who dares go against him

P.S.United would have won anyway end of topic

Didn't Henry do this to Friedel or someone? (Though while he was kicking out of his hands if I remember correctly.)

Anyway, of course it was poor refereeing, but Gomes made an absolute prat of himself.

Henry's was differnet as that was a kick out of hands. There are so many cases of keepers catching the ball, running to edge of area and dropping it to kick off the floor, only for a cheeky striker who was hanging around behind them to nick it and score.

I cba to argue anymore, but The Ref has well and truly messed this up. Should have been a free kick to us Nani handballs it, and then he gets the option to cancel the goal as the assistant lets him know that it was a handbal yet hes still gave the goal.

Redknapp should try and get some sort of injuction to stop him reffing our games, 3 utterly appauling decisions against us now. **** take.

I cba to argue anymore, but The Ref has well and truly messed this up. Should have been a free kick to us Nani handballs it, and then he gets the option to cancel the goal as the assistant lets him know that it was a handbal yet hes still gave the goal.

Redknapp should try and get some sort of injuction to stop him reffing our games, 3 utterly appauling decisions against us now. **** take.

If you are referring to the Roy Carrol incident, I'm not sure how the ref can be blamed, that was solely the linesmans fault.

And as far as the ref putting his hands behind his back was because of the penalty appeals from United and not the handball claims from Gomes

Well it seems to me I'm the only non-biased member commenting atm. Spurs fans think it was a foul, United fans don't, it's the way biased works. I tend to agree with the Spurs fans, with no sense of bias.

spurs fans really shouldn't complain as you scored an offside goal against fulham and even it was a free kick why did gomes roll it about 10 yards in front of the actual hand ball. Plus gomes should know that he should PLAY TO THE WHISTLE

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Well it seems to me I'm the only non-biased member commenting atm. Spurs fans think it was a foul, United fans don't, it's the way biased works. I tend to agree with the Spurs fans, with no sense of bias.

I think most fans will agree it was a foul but the referee never gave it

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

It was clearly a handball, I'm not deluded enogh to argue that. Arguably could have been an admittedly soft penalty beforehand too.

That cold hard fact is. The whistle was never blown for whatever reason, so Gomes doesn't have a leg to stand on, especially considering he doesn't bother appealing for handball until Nani scores.

What happened between the ref and linesman is obviously the big talking point, as the linesman is clearly shown to say 'I know' when a Spurs player says it was handball.

The fact that Clattenburg chooses not to act on the linesman telling him it was handball suggests he already knew about it and deiced to play advantage, which Gomes well and truly messed up.

0 wins, 20 draws and 48 losses, what an astonishing record. It's Spurs' away record against the "big four" in the past 18 years btw.

About the goal, well, the only thing I can say is "play to the whistle". There was an instance during the first half in which Bale brought a ball into the box when it was clearly "outside" but Man Utd's defenders dealt with it like how they should. The point is, players should stop assuming things on their own even when it's blatantly obvious that it should be a freekick/goalkick. During times like these players' opinion doesn't matter, it the referee's that matter.

I think linesmen, ref and Gomes are all to blame tbh here, none of them seem to have a clue what's going off..

The linesmen only bothers to flag for handball when Gomes goes to verbally assault him, and even then doesn;'t look too confident with himself. The referee needs to take charge of the situation instead of just shrugging his shoulders, it doesn't help anything and just adds to the confusion of the situation.

and Gomes? well Gomes is just a joke, the hand ball does not stop or interfere with play (imo) as Gomes is able to pick the ball up, with the ref playing advantage he can do what he likes, only he makes a howler by decding it should be a free kick (10 yards in front of the handball) and rolling the ball out. Mark Clattenberg > Gomes. Should play to the whistle, if Gomes had got the ball in his hand and launched a counter attack, nobody would even say anything about this..

Look Tottenham fans you would be in a position to complain if

a) you were likely or looked like you was going to score
b) You were winning on it was 1-1
You wasn't an either way you would of lost so don't complain we out played you in every way.

Also if the ref hasn't whistled then play goes on as normal, also many players touch the ball when they think it is a foul but the ref does not give a penalty or free kick but the ref allows that 'handball' as is wasn't one to block a shot or anything was it, Nani though it was a foul ref said no and play went on then and if Gomes though it was a free kick why would he 'take' it 10 yards away where the incident occurred? Also don't call Nani a cheat as he looked to the ref to ask him if it was okay to play on and the ref said yes THEN HE SCORED.

4 people to blame.

1) Nani - Diving = Freekick
Handball = Freekick
Unsporting = ****

2) Gomes - Didn't play to the whistle
Assumed a free kick was given

3) Linesman - Flagged for handball and dive, but didn't tell the ref?

4) Ref - Overruled the linesman when he was, 40 yards away?
Played advantage when Gomes was prepared for a free kick.

Overall, it should be a goal. Despite Nani handling the ball, advantage was played, Gomes should have focused on the whistle and not rush into play as he did.

PS: Why did Modric get booked for talking to the referee when Ferdinand was allowed to stand around and have a go, listen in on the linesman and ref's conversation when he isn't captain?

Funny goal though.

Rio tweeted it, Bobby retweeted.

On Sunday 31st October 2010, @BobbyZamora25 said:

RT @rioferdy5: U spurs fans weren't piping up when u were at fulham and Tom huddlestone got into the lino n ref about his goal when it coulda been offside?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/6o50rt

I think refs should be more assertive and every Spurs arguing player plus Ferdinand should have been booked for arguing so much. Even after the match players were arguing and Harry had to call them off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back