• Thread starter Thread starter RCDAguiar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 256
  • Views Views 95K
March 2022 - The ship takes a slight hit

March 2022 - The ship takes a slight hit

View attachment 1032587

View attachment 168965

Yeah, we lost our first game of the season. And we went on a 5-game streak without winning. That hasn't happened for a good 3 seasons. This was a very tough month to steady our results. It started well and ended rather poorly. But at least we only lost once. That loss ended our 48 game unbeaten streak.

Levante at home...

After last month's goal crazy fixtures, we continued the tradition into this month. Another five goals, another masterclass performance from our attackers. Krmar opened the scoring with a nice finish after Halilovic's through ball; the Serbian was fouled inside the box 40 seconds later - the penalty was converted by Halilovic. And despite Levante pulling one back in the 15th minute, we were not done yet in the first half. With 9 minutes remaining, Lindelof smashed a header in from a corner. 3-1 going into half-time. Levante continued with press and pulled another one back in the 60th minute but, five minutes later, Krmar added his second of the game and drew distance once again. With 4 minutes to go, Halilovic killed off the game with a stunning long-range strike. 3 points and an emphatic victory.

Real Sociedad at home...

This was a complete and utter annihilation of Real Sociedad. By the time the first-half had ended, we were 4-0 up. San Emeterio scored his first goal of the season when he rifled in a strike following a positive passing sequence. Iturbe doubled our lead four minutes later with a cheeky header at the back-post. Krmar continued his fine form by latching onto a Hernandez through-ball and placing a shot past the goalkeeper for 3-0. Iturbe added a 4th - and his second of the game - just before half-time when he volleyed home from a Lindelof knockdown following a menacing Pereira corner. 40 seconds after the restart, Iturbe sealed his hat-trick and the three points with a sumptuous free-kick from close-range. 5-0. Perfect performance.

Granada away...

And this is when the wheels started falling off this month. Luckily, we had a commanding lead at the top of the table so some of these dropped points don't hurt us too much. I hope. Here, we just failed to break down Granada regularly. They defended quite well and kept halting play with smart tackles. If not for Krmar's exquisite headed goal, this could seriously have ended as a Granada victory.

Cordoba away...

This was a very, very poor performance. We played as though Córdoba were the same level as us. It was tight, both sides battling for possession, with very few shots at goal altogether. Fouls aplenty. I'm always happy with clean-sheets, but not when they arrive against opposition like this and without a victory. Back-to-back draws. I can feel our lead at the top shortening.

PAOK at home...

After the thumping in the first-leg, PAOK were always going to come back better prepared. Even with our 20 shots at goal, we didn't trouble them much. I gave them the majority of possession because I wanted to keep players nice and fit for the Barcelona game. I'm not fussed with the draw as 8-2 on aggregate is enough validation that we were the stronger side overall. Andreas Pereira's lovely volley in the 7th minute was cancelled out 3 minutes later. And that was all she wrote.

Our opponents in the quarter-final...

Bayern - we meet again! These guys were always tough in the group stages. But this is the first time we've met in the knockout rounds... and we have improved quite a lot since our last meeting!

Barcelona away...

Our first loss of the season after 48 games without suffering defeat in all competitions. And it came to Barcelona. Our opponents for the Copa del Rey final. They were, quite simply, the better side. We defended our hearts out but it was impossible to prevent them from victory. Iturbe's goal, sandwiched in between their two, was a lucky one courtesy of a defensive lapse. Other than that, we created next-to-nothing. This disappointing month continues.

Bayern at home...

This is a draw that I can actually ride with. No shame in drawing a 1st leg against one of the best sides in Europe. This was largely even throughout and, if we hadn't scored, it would have been a shame because our performance was worthy of a goal. Bayern opened the scoring in the 49th minute and were on the verge of registering a 1-0 victory away from home. Nahuel came on in the 80th minute. 13 minutes later, with mere seconds remaining on the clock, he scored YET ANOTHER goal with the final kick of the game. He's done that a lot this season. The Hispano-Argentine winger applied a volley at the far-post from Saúl's cross for 1-1. A raucous end to the game. The Champions League dream is still alive.

League table...

We're 2nd but, do not fret, we have a game in hand. Win that and we're right above Real Madrid. And we still have to play them!

Next month, you simply have to tune in. Why? Well, do we turn around this horrendous form? We play Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in the league - something that could derail our title hopes if we don't turn it around - and we also play Bayern in the 2nd leg. It's a huge month for the make or break of silverware hopes. 'Til then, FORZA DEPOR!

April 2022 - DID WE JUST WIN THE LEAGUE A MONTH EARLY?

April 2022 - DID WE JUST WIN THE LEAGUE A MONTH EARLY?

View attachment 1033022

Last month, we ended things 2nd in the table with a game in hand. This month, we may just have sealed the title. I'll let the games do the talking.

A contract renewal:

Ah, we've finally tied Iturbe down. I wanted to do this earlier on but we didn't have the sufficient wages to offer him his 200k. He's now the highest earning player at the club.

What. A. Month. Seriously. We played 9 games and kept 7 clean-sheets. We are something else this season.

Real Madrid at home...

What a way to climb above Real Madrid still with a game in hand. This was a perfect display of defensive solidity and clinical attacking nature. We frustrated them and offered them nothing in the final third. Andreas Pereira delivered us the crucial victory that tipped the title in our favour when he applied a strong finish one-on-one after Nahuel's cross. 3 points - great victory.

Bayern away...

Incredible victory against not only one of the strongest teams in the game, but a side who had an away goal over us. They had 25 shots but didn't score one. Why? Because, again, we were excellently structured inside the box and forced them to take on long-range shots. The key to victory is having a resolute defence and that's from where our success has stemmed. Krmar scored the winning goal in the 2nd minute of the game when he headed Iturbe's cross past Manuel Neuer. Back-to-back 1-0 victories against two of the toughest opponents possible. This truly is our season. That's Bayern knocked out.

And we drew...

And that's the third German team we've played in the Champions League this season. Wolfsburg seem easy, but there's a reason they've made it here to the semi-finals. We have to be aware of their quality and take them seriously.

Sporting away...

Another clean-sheet, another dominant display. We were hungry for goals in the 2nd half and were granted exactly that for our graft. Abel opened the floodgates in the 52nd minute when he volleyed San Emeterio's cross past the goalkeeper. Iturbe was then fouled 20 minutes later, inside the box, and Abel added another goal to his tally from the penalty spot. In the 90th minute, to round things up, substitute Nahuel scored the 3rd of the game after Pereira's rebounded shot fell in his path. Nahuel loves a late goal.

Valencia at home...

It's a shame we couldn't keep the clean-sheet streak running, but Valencia are a very tough side to keep quiet. They attack excellently. Fortunately for us, we've been a class apart this season so they've rarely ever troubled us. This was a routine victory. Iturbe opened the scoring with a nice long-range strike after Pereira's lay-off. The Belgian would go on to assist the next goal - Abel's - in the 54th minute. His long punt forward was met by the Uruguayan who raced clean through on goal before finishing with ease. Iturbe secured his second, and our final, goal of the game when he applied a simple header to San Emeterio's cross. Valencia scored a consolation goal in the 84th minute and that was all she wrote. Another 3 points. This, in our game in hand.

Osasuna away...

After the rotating done in this game, it was only normal that we would drop points. I don't mind the odd 0-0 because it means that we kept yet another clean-sheet. But we really should have won this, especially with our eight shots on target. Krmar, in particular, was quite wasteful. A little disappointing but we keep gaining points toward the title.

Atletico at home...

Both Madrid clubs trumped 1-0. I love that. Those two fixtures were the ones that could make or break our title hopes - and we won them both. Atleti were held at arm's length by yet another superb defensive performance. Saúl, in particular, has been in outrageously good form for the last couple of months. This month, he's taken it to another level. He completely shuts his wing down and commands it all on his own. Nahuel scored the only goal of the game in the 11th minute, finishing from a very tight angle after Iturbe's through ball. That Argentine connection is becoming quite something! 3 points, yet another clean-sheet. Kaboom!

Granada at home...

Perhaps the most comfortable game of the month. Every highlight was ours. Every single one. We trampled all over Granada and downed them with consummate ease. Lucas, Pereira and Halilovic took just 30 minutes in the second-half to decimate Granada. All three players scored near-identical goals from inside the box, with Halilovic assisting Pereira before securing his own goal.

Wolfsburg at home, 1st leg CL semi-final...

Not the result we would have wanted, but at least we prevented Wolfsburg's away goal. This was a clash between two defensive excellent sides. We both reduced one another to petty long-range strikes and nothingness. The 2nd leg will be quite something, but all we need is that one away goal to down them.

ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR THIS?

ARE YOU READY?

WITH TWO GAMES TO PLAY, WE HAVE SECURED THE LEAGUE TITLE!!!!!!! OUR THIRD IN A ROW! OUR 4TH TROPHY THIS SEASON!!!!!!!!! AND WHAT A WAY TO SECURE IT, TOO! With a victory in this game, we were to be assured the league title. And that's all we needed. Cadiz are far from a good side but, somehow, they were able to give us one **** of a game. In fact, they scored early on to put this game in a bit of a pickle for us. I wanted to win in in front of the home fans, especially as our final two games are away from home. They deserved the title to be conquered before their very eyes. Abel Hernandez raced into the box, on a solo run, in the 34th minute and struck a nice finish past the goalkeeper for 1-1. And yet, despite that goal, the clock kept ticking... and ticking... and ticking. No winner was in sight. Nothing at all. Until, Iturbe in the 90th minute, decided to take matters into his own hands. This was, without a doubt, the most beautiful goal we have ever scored. From a cleared corner, Iturbe picked up the ball outside the box, weaved past one player and smashed a long-range strike in off the bar. Not only was it the best goal we've scored, it was one **** of a way to seal the title in front of our fans. This save has been unforgettable!

3 league titles in a row! We have become Spanish powerhouses!

View attachment 168564
Hall of fame, eh? I'll take that!

League table...

And there it is, 11 points clear! What a dominant season! Still two games to go, too. We should be able to break the 90 point barrier.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 168562

With every clean-sheet registered this month, Saúl was the beating heart of the defence. No goals were conceded from his flank. He won heaps of tackles, always supported his winger, and just contributed to overall defensive excellence. From academy kid to one of the best left-backs at the greatest club in the country, Saúl's progression has been beautiful to witness. Every summer I have to swat away bids for him.

You guys simply cannot miss out on next month's update. Sure, we may have won the title, but that was far from the toughest of the other two trophies we're in contention for. We've never won the Copa del Rey in my tenure - will we do so for the first time next month? Against Barcelona? You'll have to tune in to find out. We also take on Wolfsburg in the 2nd leg of the Champions League - win that, and we're through to the final. Do we become the first ever side to win back-to-back Champions League titles? Again, you'll have to tune it. It's the final month of this save. Please do come back tomorrow for more! FORZA DEPOR!!!!!

Wow, what a month! I can't wait to see how you finish the save tomorrow. I'm hoping you bring home every piece of silverware you can! FORZA DEPOR!

Good job winning league already! I have one idea if in this save there are any fallen giants without manager take that team and bring glory back in there?! :)

Good job winning league already! I have one idea if in this save there are any fallen giants without manager take that team and bring glory back in there?! :)

That's a great idea - I'll definitely think about it!

May 2022 - Do we win every single piece of silverware? THE END OF AN ERA

May 2022 - Do we win every single piece of silverware?

View attachment 1033368

In true final month fashion, I will not be revealing any of the results as usual. Instead, we will go one by one to keep you guys hooked and on the edge of your seats. Strap in, because this could be an outrageously good end to this season...

Wolfsburg away, Champions League semi-final 2nd leg (0-0 agg)

WE'RE THROUGH TO THE FINAL! Another draw against Wolfsburg, but this one was enough thanks to the crucial Abel Hernandez away goal. The game was tight for possession and both sides resorted to defending excellently once more. Wolfsburg took the lead in the 25th minute, which immediately complicated the game for us. Luckily, 11 minutes later, Abel Hernandez was on hand to latch onto a disastrous backpass from a Wolfsburg defended and run clean through on goal. He applied the easy finish and, without knowing it at the time, that would be the goal that granted us passage to the final of the Champions League! Abel had a chance in the 2nd half to wrap things up from the penalty spot, but his shot was saved expertly by Karius. Regardless, that's back-to-back CL finals for us!

Our opponents in the final:

AC Milan will be a very tough side to conquer. They just knocked Barcelona out 6-1 on aggregate. Seriously. And also knocked out Juventus and Chelsea to get here. They're no pushovers. Embolo is top scorer in the CL with 14 goals which is mindblowing. We have to be careful.

Athletic Bilbao at home...

Ah, a dead-rubber league game. We've wrapped things up here. This was the penultimate game, but it's nice to have broken the 90-point mark in the league table. We could, and should, have scored more but Krmar's header in the 7th minute was more than enough to register the win.

Valencia away, final league game of the season...

Oops? This was not how I would have chosen to end the league season, but I was just trying to preserve player fitness ahead of the two crucial finals coming up. It back-fired and Valencia destroyed us in the final 16 minutes of the game. It's a shame to lose, but we have bigger fish to fry, right?

League table...

Nice to have won by 5 clear points! Only two league losses suffered with a mere 22 goals conceded. What a season!

NOW, THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

DID WE WIN THE COPA DEL REY?

THE ONE TROPHY THAT HAS ELUDED ME IN THESE GLORIOUS SEVEN YEARS

IS IT COMING HOME?

AND THERE WE HAVE IT!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE WON THE COPA DEL REY!!!!!!!!!!!! FORZA DEPOR!!!!! What a glorious, glorious result. Totally unforgettable game, especially for 20-year-old Uruguayan midfielder Gonzalo Correa. This was an extremely tight game with both sides, surprisingly, defending to an extremely high level (these games are usually a lot more open). We kept pushing them and received our dues in the 40th minute when Correa dispossessed Neymar in midfield, charge through the middle at goal and launched a strike past ter-Stegen. 1-0 up going into half-time, I just wanted us to hold on. We went for a more defensive style and it bit us in the backside: shortly after the restart, Barcelona equalised throughout Malcom. And yet, that was all the game would offer in 90 minutes. The rest of the game was riddled by fouls, half chances and just little happening. And there we were, commencing extra-time with just 30 minutes standing between us and that Copa del Rey trophy; a trophy which we hadn't won since 2002. That's two decades ago! In the 99th minute, the fans (and myself), were sent into absolute delirium. Correa received the ball from a good way away from the Barcelona boxed, jinked past one player and lashed a shot at goal from range... it looked speculative, but it flew past ter-Stegen and cannoned off the post... 2-1. 2 goals from Correa. And as the whistle blew and we placed our hands on that coveted trophy, it was all thanks to the magic that this 20-year-old produced from midfield. What a season he has had! What a way to cement himself in Deportivo history! But there's no rest for the wicked; seven days later, our Champions League final vs AC Milan.

It all comes down to this...

Did we win every single trophy available to us?

Does this save end on a high?

Did we trump AC Milan?

Are we the first club to ever win back-to-back CL titles?

AND THERE WE HAVE IT! SIX TROPHIES WON THIS SEASON, AND WHAT A WAY TO SEAL IT UP! BACK-TO-BACK CL TITLES!!!!!!
This was a super intense game. In all honesty, we probably shouldn't have won! AC Milan were far more dominant, but our incredible defence kept them quiet for the majority of the game. It allowed us to take our chances smartly in the final third. We believed in the defensive work of the back-four. This trophy is theirs! AC Milan shocked us by scoring in the 2nd minute, and immediately I believed that we were going to get thrashed. But the players had other plans. We soaked up the pressure and unleashed a devastating counter-attack in the 21st minute that culminated in a fine finish from Halilovic inside the box. The Croatian's night was far from over. He was bound to be the hero; it was written in the stars. In the 55th minute, Halilovic darted past a couple of players and was upended in the box. Penalty! It was given. Halilovic stepped up, with no Hernandez on the pitch and Iturbe being forced off injured, it was on his shoulders. His first penalty of the season. And he struck it with immense force. It cannoned in off the bar and that, right there, was the winner. That goal placed our hands firmly on the Champions League title for the 2nd year in a row. I could not be any prouder of this team I assembled.

View attachment 168229
I never even thought that this day would come. I love this club.

AWARDS AND STATS

View attachment 168228

Only right that three of our back five make the CL dream team. Also nice to see Pereira slot in there, although no Krmar is weird!

Lindelof tops the list for most key tackles in the Champions League. Not surprising - he's been in incredible form this year, especially in Europe.

Khedira's best season in a Depor shirt sees him top the list for most tackles per game. Delighted for him. Since signing Ricci as back-up and competition, Khedira's level has risen incredibly.

5 of our boys in the Team of the Season for La Liga - San Emeterio also made the bench. Yet, again, no Krmar?! What are these people smoking?

Pau Lopez is the goalkeeper with the most clean-sheets in La Liga. 23?! That has to be some sort of record! What a goalkeeper he is!

Pau also conceded the least amount of goals, a mere 22. He played every single game in the league this season. Unreal.

Unsurprisingly, Pau Lopez wins goalkeeper of the year ahead of Moreira and Scuffet. Incredible feat for one of our goalkeepers to be recognised like this. Delighted for him!

Correa awarded with best young player for the second year running. And rightly so. He is an impeccable midfielder with great energy, flair and productivity. An absolute star in the making.

Pereira leads the tables for highest average rating and most player of the match awards (9) in La Liga. He's simply the best.

Krmar signing of the season, I agree with that. In fact, I agree with everything bar the fans' player of the season. It's close, but San Emeterio is not my pick.

Krmar banged in 30(!!!!!!!!!) goals this season, aged 22 and playing his first ever season in top flight Spanish football. What a return. Selling Seferovic and replacing him with Krmar was a masterstroke. 10m was an absolute steal for the Serbian. San Emeterio registered a titanic 16 assists. Elsewhere, Pereira flaunts his 13 player of the match awards in all competitions and Ricci registers the highest pass completion. Nice to see so many young players turning it on this season.

Pereira wins La Liga player of the season. I can't disagree with that. Both he and Iturbe are my greatest signings ever. And they arrived on free transfers. Unbelievable!

Thank you, thank you! Much too kind! It's nice to win this for the third year running!

DEFENDER OF THE YEAR

View attachment 168209
Not just for the sixteen assists, but he was a huge component of our beautiful clean-sheet record this season. Whether it's captaining the side, commanding his flank or assisting goals, San Emeterio is our most important defender. Quite simply one of the best players at the club ever since the day he arrived.

MIDFIELDER OF THE YEAR

View attachment 168208
Not just for his brace against Barcelona in the final, but for everything else too. He's assisted heaps, improved our play in the final third and become a regular player that we depend on. All at the age of 20. He's becoming one of the finest players in his position in Europe, and I think that brace vs Barcelona may just have awoken the world to this gem that we acquired for a mere 7m.

FORWARD OF THE YEAR

View attachment 168207
30 goals. In your first season. Aged 22. Not many players can say they've achieved that. Whether he was finessing strikes past the goalkeeper or glancing headers past the 'keeper, Krmar was almost always scoring. He registered four goals in one game, but didn't entirely prevent Hernandez from having his share. The Uruguayan forward chipped in with 21 goals, just behind Iturbe's 27 for the season. And those two are players above the age of 28. Krmar is still a kid, yet he scored 30. I'm so happy for him. Well deserving of my Forward of the Year award.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

View attachment 168211

I'll just use this picture again, because Pereira is my player of the year. His goals were of the utmost quality and importance, while his assists just kept us ticking. His passing is flawless, the way he encourages the team to move forward is perfect. I can't think of a better midfielder than him that I have EVER used on Football Manager. He's that good. And he's still only 26. Easily the best player at the club. No debate about it.

FINAL WORDS

And so ends 'Reviving Deportivo la Coruña.' When I started this thread, I was bored and had nothing better to do. I wanted to share this big idea with you guys and hopefully you would eventually enjoy it. And it seems like you guys certainly did. In seven seasons, we turned this club around from a meandering yo-yo club in over 200m debt to the best club in Europe. There were incredible free agents, stunning loanees and eventually we smashed our transfer record for 21m defender Lindelof. But we worked our way to spending that money. And we eventually became this incredible side able to swat teams left, right and centre. It all started with a solid defensive foundation and now, here we are, 10 trophies later, with a huge grin on our faces.

I certainly hope you guys enjoyed reading this. It has been a one **** of an emotional ride. Depor are my club and I get heavily invested in these kinds of saves on Football Manager because of that. It is with a lot of fulfilment and happiness that I confirm 'Reviving Deportivo la Coruña' as officially over. I love you guys for all of your engagement and comments. And I have just one question: do you want me to start a new thread with a different club?

Thank you and, as ever, forever, FORZA DEPOR!

Maybe it's better in new thread? And what you've decided about next save?

Hey, guys! I have a few ideas that I want to run past you in terms of a new save.

I need you all to contribute, especially the guys who have actively been reading this thread!

Here are the options:

Resign at Deportivo and take on a fallen giant Spanish club?

Start an entirely new thread in another country?

Please choose the option you want most. Thanks!

First of all, congratulations! An epic story and achievement, and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

Personally I'd like to see you take on another fallen giant, but it doesn't have to be in Spain. I know Mallorca have gone down to the third tier in my story, maybe you can see where they're at if you want to stay in Spain.

Whatever you choose though, it will be awesome!

First of all, congratulations! An epic story and achievement, and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

Personally I'd like to see you take on another fallen giant, but it doesn't have to be in Spain. I know Mallorca have gone down to the third tier in my story, maybe you can see where they're at if you want to stay in Spain.

Whatever you choose though, it will be awesome!

Thanks, Patrick! You've been here from day one! Glad you enjoyed the story. I'll take that on board, for sure!

I agree! Resign and revive a fallen giant in the save. I'd prefer non-Spanish, but the choice is entirely yours. If it's anything like this save I know I'll enjoy it. FORZA DEPOR!!!

You have had a brilliant last season mate! ****** brilliant I must say! I like your thought process though I would like to propose one more proposition, many leagues have got a dominant winner like Bayern, Juventus...you could take over the No. 4 or No.5 team there and try to break the monopoly!

Or try your luck abroad with a fallen giant! Portsmouth, Forest, Leeds from the tip of my tongue!

And again well done!

I agree! Resign and revive a fallen giant in the save. I'd prefer non-Spanish, but the choice is entirely yours. If it's anything like this save I know I'll enjoy it. FORZA DEPOR!!!

Thank you! I'll update you guys soon on what I'm doing!

You have had a brilliant last season mate! ****** brilliant I must say! I like your thought process though I would like to propose one more proposition, many leagues have got a dominant winner like Bayern, Juventus...you could take over the No. 4 or No.5 team there and try to break the monopoly!

Or try your luck abroad with a fallen giant! Portsmouth, Forest, Leeds from the tip of my tongue!

And again well done!

Thanks! Really appreciate that! I'll give it a thought.

I think picking a big club that fell within the save would be the best choice among those two, as the one that's more different from any. Though picking a completely new save with another team can also have its interest.

I also vote for it to be a team in some other country.

Back