Rising Transfer Prices

Raphael.

Reaction score
Okay so I want to have a nice friendly discussion on the ever rising transfer prices.
I was just watching Sky Sports News and they was going on about how a £100M transfer was inevitable.

I know this was kinda being battled out in the Downfall of English football thread, but the OP was incredibly bias saying it was just in England and the discussion has gone a bit skew wiff.

Cristiano_Ronaldo_in_Real_Madrid_2.jpg
Fernando_Torres_vs_Utrecht.jpg

1. Cristiano Ronaldo: Manchester United to Real Madrid – £80m (2009)
2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Inter Milan to Barcelona – £60.7m (2009)
3. Kaka: AC Milan to Real Madrid – £56m (2009)
4. Fernando Torres: Liverpool to Chelsea – £50m (2011) NEW!
5. Zinedine Zidane: Juventus to Real Madrid – £45.62m (2001)
6. Luis Figo: Barcelona to Real Madrid – £37m (2000)
7. Hernan Crespo: Parma to Lazio – £35.5m (2000)
8. Andy Carroll: Newcastle United to Liverpool – £35m (2011) NEW!
9. David Villa: Valencia to Barcelona – £34.2m (2010)
10. Gianluigi Buffon: Parma to Juventus – £32.6m (2001)

Out of all these transfers 6 have been made by Spanish clubs... 2 by an English club and 2 by an Italian club.

As you can see most of these are by Spanish clubs and most of them by you guessed it..... Real Madrid..

So for people saying "OMFGZ It's English clubs thats making all these big money transfers.

Most of the top 10 ones have happened in Spain but if you go to top 20... you will see this is even more wide spread.

In my opinion this is just awful.... it is gonna get to that £100M transfer and yes it is getting ludocris... It will get to the point in the future about 2040 I think and the cost of a player will be more than the club..

So whats your opinion...?

Its the way the world is going and how much income football is getting which allows clubs to spend such amounts

But ive got no problem with it.. its part of football and as you can slearly see there its mainly spanish clubs anyway..

why not spend 50-100million on 1/2 players when everyone knows they could change your term completely and make you challenge for the league

On one hand, these huge transfer fees give a real excitement to clubs, making them anxious to see how their newest multi-million £ player performs. Also, it is inevitable that this will be happening, as football is an ever-expanding market, so the clubs are just trying to keep it up. However, I do believe that a point will be reached where the fees stop rising, otherwise we'd end up with £200m for a 40-year old Emile Heskey :S

There are obvious bad points too, such as the 'waste' of money from the owners, which could potentially put the clubs in a financially unstable position, but this is why the Financial Fair Play rules are being introduced. This is also why tycoon takeovers are becoming increasingly common.

In a view years there won't be any big signings. I think we are near the maximum now. Man city will probably beat the 100 mio mark, but unless there is no other sheik club like man city the signing fees will decrease. Most of the european top clubs are in dept like Barça, Real, Manu.

35mil for andy carrol is a complete joke newcastle got some excellent negotiation skill or liverpool are plain stupid if you look david villa was 500k cheaper and 100x the play andy carrol is and will be, only reason the board are spending stupid money is because when you the money stats rolling in you wont see any of it same as all american owners

35mil for andy carrol is a complete joke newcastle got some excellent negotiation skill or liverpool are plain stupid if you look david villa was 500k cheaper and 100x the play andy carrol is and will be, only reason the board are spending stupid money is because when you the money stats rolling in you wont see any of it same as all american owners

It wasn't about the amount for Liverpool, Chelsea effectively financed it. Liverpool had already spent £22.8m on Suarez, and sold Babel for £6, making their net loss before Torress/Carroll £16.8m. They then reached an agreement with Chelsea that Torres would cost £15m more than Newcastle wanted for Carroll, making the net loss for them £1.8m no matter the fee for Carroll.

Also I don't see how transfer prices can continue to rise with the implementation of the financial fair play rules, billionaire owners won't be enough to finance such moves anymore.

Its all based on the principle of "Offer and demand"... Clubs are only paying this much because they can afford to, because football fans and companies are prepared to spend astronomical prices on sponsorship and merchandise. The amount footballers get paid is ridiculous. Fans should realise that the only way to lower these transfers and the massive price of football is to stop going to matches.

I agree with Cal. I dont think prices will rise anymore due to the new financial fair play rules. Thats the reason why this transfer window was so busy as clubs wont be spending such lavish sums again in the near future.

The UEFA Fair Play rules that are coming into effect in 2012 will surely change this trend.

Still cannot believe Andy Carrol was more expensive than David Villa. Transfer deadline madness!

So for people saying "OMFGZ It's English clubs thats making all these big money transfers.

Most of the top 10 ones have happened in Spain but if you go to top 20... you will see this is even more wide spread.

That doesn't prove much, just how much was spent on one player, not overall. For example, Villa, they didn't spend much else, same with Ibrahimovic. English clubs are the main drive behind the ridiculous fees, they are the one's spending most per window [In terms of big teams anyway].

It really ****** me off so much money.

Also, i have a real bee in my bonnet about undisclosed fees, they REALLY **** me off..dont even get me started

That doesn't prove much, just how much was spent on one player, not overall. For example, Villa, they didn't spend much else, same with Ibrahimovic. English clubs are the main drive behind the ridiculous fees, they are the one's spending most per window [In terms of big teams anyway].

No, English clubs are not the main driving force and they are not spending the most ridiculous fees..
The worlds top 3 most expensive transfers come from Spanish Clubs

1 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United to Real Madrid £80
2 Zlatan Ibrahimović Internazionale to Barcelona £56.5
3 Kaká Milan to Real Madrid £56
4 Fernando Torres Liverpool to Chelsea £50
5 Zinedine Zidane Juventus to Real Madrid £45.7
6 Luís Figo Barcelona to Real Madrid £37
7 Hernán Crespo Parma to Lazio £35.5
8 Andy Carroll Newcastle United to Liverpool £35
9 David Villa Valencia to Barcelona £34.2
10 Gianluigi Buffon Parma to Juventus £32.6
11 Robinho Real Madrid to Manchester City £32.5
12 Christian Vieri Lazio to Internazionale £32
13 Andriy Shevchenko Milan to Chelsea £30.8
14 Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur to Manchester United £30.75
15 Pavel Nedvěd Lazio to Juventus £30.7

If you stretch top top 15, 6 transfers are made from Spanish clubs, 5 from English clubs and 4 from Italian Clubs

If you add up transfers per country it is £301.7M for Spanish Clubs, £179.05M for English clubs and £130.8M for Italian Clubs...

So actually if you look at it, it's Spanish Clubs that are contributing the most to these ridiculous fees, but It is still a widespread problem.

Serie A teams used to break transfer records for fun in the late 90s, now they are in crisis. Spain and England too are guilty of overspending in this decade, and FFP is the move in right direction. With that I'm sure we will see the limit to the spending.

Serie A teams used to break transfer records for fun in the late 90s, now they are in crisis. Spain and England too are guilty of overspending in this decade, and FFP is the move in right direction. With that I'm sure we will see the limit to the spending.

Defo agree..... I think that tough has opened up Seria A and made the league more widespread with quality players all wide spread.... e.g Hamsik, Crisicito, Pastore ... there are a lot of players in the league which if they were at a smaller team in the Prem or La Liga they would have a £30M transfer quick.

totally agree, this is a point Kris and I both raised. Serie A has never recovered from the 90's clubs like Roma are still in big danger

totally agree, this is a point Kris and I both raised. Serie A has never recovered from the 90's clubs like Roma are still in big danger

Yes Italian clubs are struggling bad time. Half filled stadiums, not much TV revenue. They are still recovering. Hope English and Spanish league learn from that.

Roma, Lazio are not great with finances, but impressive thing about the league is good players are well distributed in the league rather than just 2 teams like Spanish league.

We have Pastore, Hamsik, Criscito, Miccoli, Cavani, Sanchez, Montolivio, Gilardino, Mutu playing for the mid table teams. Once they recover from that disaster, the league will be back to where it belong, Top.

It was Italian team's in the 90's, and nowadays it's the English teams plus Real Madrid. Blaming Spanish teams for the inflated transfer prices is ridiculous...Real Madrid is the only team in Spain that spends like crazy. True, over the past couple of seasons Barca started spending like crazy to keep up with Real (Villa being the only transfer that actually panned out), but they have 8 out of the starting XI from the youth academy, and historically speaking, aren't super heavy spenders considering they're the second biggest team in the country. Every other team in Spain is **** poor pretty much. Look at Valencia. If we compare the amount spent each transfer window per league, the Prem outspends La Liga by far. Real Madrid is the only big spending team, with Barca occassionally coming it to make a stupid transfer. The rest run on an extremely tight budget. True, if you look at the top 15 transfers of all time, it looks like Spain is dominating the transfer market, but that's just because Real Madrid has had their two phases of galacticos. Heck even during the non-galactico era they really weren't heavy spenders considering their stature.

The FFP will hopefully slow things down but that's not the only issue, there's a real lack of sustainability that could destroy these clubs. However, maybe they have become 'too big to fail.' Seems to be the trend these days.

It was Italian team's in the 90's, and nowadays it's the English teams plus Real Madrid. Blaming Spanish teams for the inflated transfer prices is ridiculous...Real Madrid is the only team in Spain that spends like crazy. True, over the past couple of seasons Barca started spending like crazy to keep up with Real (Villa being the only transfer that actually panned out), but they have 8 out of the starting XI from the youth academy, and historically speaking, aren't super heavy spenders considering they're the second biggest team in the country. Every other team in Spain is **** poor pretty much. Look at Valencia. If we compare the amount spent each transfer window per league, the Prem outspends La Liga by far. Real Madrid is the only big spending team, with Barca occassionally coming it to make a stupid transfer. The rest run on an extremely tight budget. True, if you look at the top 15 transfers of all time, it looks like Spain is dominating the transfer market, but that's just because Real Madrid has had their two phases of galacticos. Heck even during the non-galactico era they really weren't heavy spenders considering their stature.

The FFP will hopefully slow things down but that's not the only issue, there's a real lack of sustainability that could destroy these clubs. However, maybe they have become 'too big to fail.' Seems to be the trend these days.

Barca do spend more than any English club. They are in the second place when it comes to spending for the decade. First being Madrid and City in third.

Yes Italian clubs are struggling bad time. Half filled stadiums, not much TV revenue. They are still recovering. Hope English and Spanish league learn from that.

Roma, Lazio are not great with finances, but impressive thing about the league is good players are well distributed in the league rather than just 2 teams like Spanish league.

We have Pastore, Hamsik, Criscito, Miccoli, Cavani, Sanchez, Montolivio, Gilardino, Mutu playing for the mid table teams. Once they recover from that disaster, the league will be back to where it belong, Top.
Oooh, napoli fans wont like being called midtable, now they are sitting in 2nd and pushing for the scudetto :p