ellismcfc

Reaction score
After David Moyes (football genius;)) left Everton to join United, Martinez took over and revolutionised the way Everton play. He kept the same formation as Moyes, but used different personnel and a different style of play to lead them to 5th. After watching them gain a very credible draw at the Emirates, I thought it would be a good challenge to recreate the tactic he uses at Everton.

The tactic

View attachment 446897View attachment 446896

Originally, the tactic started off like this. However, I changed the tactic to this as I got better results:

View attachment 439832

So I pushed the 2 wingers forward and it worked a lot better.

Type of player needed
GK- A normal goalkeeper
WBs-These will be expected to push forward and provide lots of assists, but also to work up and down the pitch and defend. Baines and Coleman suit this role perfectly.
CDs-Must be competent on the ball but also be good at defending and have a yard of pace.
W-The winger push on towards the byline to deliver crosses, and also to cut inside to give space for the fullbacks/to attack the penalty box. (Pace, crossing, decisions, finishing as well also standard winger stats)
IF- Cuts inside to provide lots of assists and sometimes attacks the byline. Standard IF stats.
DLP-The DLP provides a passing option deep, and also sits back and stops counter attacks. Gareth Barry is great for the role, I imagine Scott Parker and Michael Carrick would be good too. Andrea Pirlo is probably the best in the business (passing, positioning, tackling, composure etc)
BWM-Quite like the DLP, this guy sits deep, however is more aggressive without possession and closes down the opposition more. I'd say Nigel De Jong is a good player for this role. (aggression, tackling, positioning, team work, work rate, decisions etc)
AP-Driving from deep, this player is probably the most dangerous on the counter. He also looks to spray the ball around to open up defences. Ross Barkley has the potential to be god-like in this role (passing, dribbling, finishing, off the ball etc)
P-This guy is the only striker so is the focal point of all the attacks. He has to be good at most things, be strong, be good technically and must be clinical. Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited to this role. (Pace, finishing, off the ball + all other poacher stats)

OIs and Training

I leave OIs to my assistant manager.
For training I would recommend working on tactics until it is fully familiar, then I would work on ball control, team cohesion and attacking. I would also put match prep on attacking movement.

PPMs
I think PPMs can improve the tactic, so I've made some quick ones which I will add to once I have tested it more.

WBs-Get forward more, plays one-twos.
CDs-Plays simple passing game.
DLP-Dictates tempo, marks tighter, simple passing game, plays one-twos.
BWM-Marks tighter, stays back all the time, simple passing game, plays one-twos.
Ws-Run with the ball more often, Cut inside, play one-twos.
AP-Moves into channels, plays one-twos, comes deep to get the ball, runs with ball, tries killer balls often.
P-runs with ball, plays one-twos, moves into channels.

Tactic link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fjd33q152px25j/4-2-3-1 Martinez Everton v2.tac

Results:
I've enjoyed lots of success with this tactic with Everton. I'm top of the league (although we have played a game more) and won the Capital One Cup.
View attachment 439809View attachment 439813

I've also had some great individual results, especially against the big teams. United in the Capital One Cup at home was probably the best, where we destroyed them and should've had more. We also drew + lost to City twice away, despite having more clear cut chances in both games and missing a penalty at the end in the draw. We drew away to Spurs away as well. I'll add to these results as I get more.
View attachment 439821View attachment 439819View attachment 439818View attachment 439816View attachment 439820View attachment 439814View attachment 439810View attachment 439808View attachment 439812View attachment 439811

Last edited:
Results? and woudnt the DLF & AM get in each others way cause the AM is in support?

Lukaku a DLF really? i'd have thought CF - support.

Lukaku is a clear Poacher. He made runs the entire match, sitting between koscielny and mertesacker, just waiting for the ball to run onto. While giroud is more of a TM on support or DLF, getting more involved in play and holding the ball for the strikers. Lukaku is not someone who makes the other players play, lukaku is the one who scores. Poacher should be the role and maybe AP instead of AM for barkley.

I'd have said the formation we play is a 4-2-3-1 with DMs, McCarthy and Barry are Ball Winners and Pienaar as the IF on the left

Lukaku is a clear Poacher. He made runs the entire match, sitting between koscielny and mertesacker, just waiting for the ball to run onto. While giroud is more of a TM on support or DLF, getting more involved in play and holding the ball for the strikers. Lukaku is not someone who makes the other players play, lukaku is the one who scores. Poacher should be the role and maybe AP instead of AM for barkley.

Like I said, I'm testing Lukaku as many different roles. Scored a hat-trick and set up one first pre season game though.

I'd have said the formation we play is a 4-2-3-1 with DMs, McCarthy and Barry are Ball Winners and Pienaar as the IF on the left

I've thought about making another tactic (4-2-3-1) once I've improved this.

4-2 win against some unknown team and 4-1 win against Plzen in pre season so far. Nice football, lots of CCC.

Love the 4411 formation! <3

Would it might work with lower teams aswell?

Anything to change when away from home?

Love the 4411 formation! <3

Would it might work with lower teams aswell?

Anything to change when away from home?

I'd say it would work with lower league teams yes, and I've not changed anything away from home yet.

Im doing amazing with Vfb Stuttgart with this tactic ! Its the most solid tactic i used so far in FM 14 ! You guys really need to try this.Solid defensively , opponnents dont have more than 1 CCC per game and they take many long shots.Just play this tactic and after 3-4 games gonna be amazing.

Im doing amazing with Vfb Stuttgart with this tactic ! Its the most solid tactic i used so far in FM 14 ! You guys really need to try this.Solid defensively , opponnents dont have more than 1 CCC per game and they take many long shots.Just play this tactic and after 3-4 games gonna be amazing.

Thanks mate, what's the attacking play like?

View attachment 446341
Some good results in there, dominated practically every game except Madrid, played some nice stuff as well. Tactic is looking good. The Real Madrid result is slightly deceiving as we had the same possession and more shots then them, they just had Ronaldo up front:)

Not so good for me.... used this tactic with my man utd side and my defence seemed to just stand around or too high up. let in so many goals and the AMC/ST do nothing. figure the roles clash?