Rome: Total War

lol, i think ill stick with the rome total war - untill i feel ready to take on medival or rome 2 (when its released) i have never played shogun whats that all about?

I never played the first shogun but my brother did and thought it was great (for when it was of course, we are talking the first ever total war game back in 2000). So far shogun II looks good and I look forward to buying it on March 15.

copied from wiki:
Shogun 2 is set in 16th-century feudal Japan, in the aftermath of the Ōnin War. The country is fractured into rival clans led by local warlords, each fighting for control. The player takes on the role of one of these warlords, with the goal of dominating other factions and claiming his rule over Japan. The game will feature a total of eight factions plus a ninth faction for the tutorial, each with a unique starting position and different political and military strengths.[4][5]
Moving away from the European setting of other Total War games, the developers are making significant changes to core gameplay elements of Shogun 2. For example, to reflect the characteristics of East Asian warfare, the game's AI is designed on the principles of Sun Tzu's The Art of War. Also, compared to Empire which spanned the entire globe, the new instalment is set to focus on the island of Japan and on a reduced number of unit types.[4]

If there are people on the forum who are planning to get Shogun 2: Total War, I would suggest reading around the Historical period that it is being set in. The Warring States or 'Sengoku Jidai'. If you know what's historically significant about what's going on as well as the characters involved, you would probably enjoy the game much more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_jidai

Masamune Date is beast. Think I'll focus my energy on him when playing Shogun. (H)

If there are people on the forum who are planning to get Shogun 2: Total War, I would suggest reading around the Historical period that it is being set in. The Warring States or 'Sengoku Jidai'. If you know what's historically significant about what's going on as well as the characters involved, you would probably enjoy the game much more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_jidai

That's why I enjoyed Rome so much. That period of history is by far the period I enjoy the most/ find the most interesting

That's why I enjoyed Rome so much. That period of history is by far the period I enjoy the most/ find the most interesting

Absolutely, I've known about the Sengoku Jidai period for years and was so happy to discover that would be the setting for the new Total War game.

Nobunaga Oda > *.

That is all.

Absolutely, I've known about the Sengoku Jidai period for years and was so happy to discover that would be the setting for the new Total War game.

Nobunaga Oda > *.

That is all.

Did you play the original Shogun? As I posted above I didn't play it but my brother did and he really enjoyed it. It was very good for it's time (we're talking around 10/11 years ago!). If you have steam and have Napolean total war then in the game news when you click on it in your library there is usually news about the new game. e.g. system requirements (seems quite demanding actually) I watched a video of the gameplay and the graphics do look quite nice

Sadly I was not introduced to the Total War series until Rome, so missed out on the first Shogun game. Never want back to it as it was far outdated by the time I'd heard about it.

Played all of them, including expansions. Rome was my favourite, but Shogun was fantastic. There were bugs, of course (river battles: one unit of Naginata + you defending = win, the Imigawa getting royally reamed in EVERY SINGLE GAME whilst the Hojo go out and completely smack around everyone and finally in the late game the ****** GEISHAS (read unstoppable assassins. Literally unstoppable. Unkillable except by ninjas or other geishas, cannot die through missions)) but it was so enjoyable you hardly noticed them.

Sadly I was not introduced to the Total War series until Rome, so missed out on the first Shogun game. Never want back to it as it was far outdated by the time I'd heard about it.

You should try it, if only for the hilarious ninja kill cutscenes. Nothing quite like your ninja rolling a bomb in behind a priest and then legging it.

Last edited:

Played all of them, including expansions. Rome was my favourite, but Shogun was fantastic. There were bugs, of course (river battles: one unit of Naginata + you defending = win, the Imigawa getting royally reamed in EVERY SINGLE GAME whilst the Hojo go out and completely smack around everyone and finally in the late game the ****** GEISHAS (read unstoppable assassins. Literally unstoppable. Unkillable except by ninjas or other geishas, cannot die through missions)) but it was so enjoyable you hardly noticed them.

You should try it, if only for the hilarious ninja kill cutscenes. Nothing quite like your ninja rolling a bomb in behind a priest and then legging it.

you may think the game is epically out of date (the points godcubed brought up encourage the idea and they're points my brother brought up when I asked him about the game) but I would suggest you give this page a quick read. The guy genuinely sounds quite happy to be playing it again and doesn't mind not having a lot of the features in the later games. Me and you may not feel the same way as we never played it so will think it's just outdated but Godcubed the article may bring a tear to your eye as you re minis about playing it ;)

Still play Rome Total War occasionally, it's a great game. Seleucid Empire are my favourite, especially the elephants. I've never managed to hold every single city though, but I'm aiming to do it before I die!

you may think the game is epically out of date (the points godcubed brought up encourage the idea and they're points my brother brought up when I asked him about the game) but I would suggest you give this page a quick read. The guy genuinely sounds quite happy to be playing it again and doesn't mind not having a lot of the features in the later games. Me and you may not feel the same way as we never played it so will think it's just outdated but Godcubed the article may bring a tear to your eye as you re minis about playing it ;)

That is an amazing article. It really is. Made me very nostalgic.

You know, a few things were spot on, stuff which I hadn't realised. Invading armies in Shogun are truly mighty, two or three full stacks at least dumped onto your territory. The absolutely MASSIVE battles you could have leaving about 2/3 of the screen filled with dead. Fortifications battles XD, less said about them the better.

Most of all, the music was absolutely fantastic, best of any TW game, and he's dead right to bring it up.

Might download Shogun later if I get bored enough <3

If anybody fancies it:

View attachment 124313

^^^This is my current game (house of Brutti (the green one))... If the save is up to date I have just attacked rome... and EVERYBODY hates me.. a few countries have been wiped out (Gauls, Macedonien forces SPQR (the ones that own rome), Spain... and some more i think)... I have a big-ish army... though remember everybody hates me so yeah lol, ive also took out some of Egypt... (mainly their coast down to alexandria).. you basicly own MOST of the south on the map. (75% to you, 10% to Egypt and 15% to teh house of Scippi (the blue faction of rome :) ) ^^^

TO PLAY

Win 7:
Computer > Local Disc C > Program Files (x86)* > Games** > Saves

This is how I had to install the game (seen as it didnt want to play under the default path of the game (normally Computer > Local disc C > Program files (x86) > Rome: total war > saves)

NOTE: * = for windows vista and xp... im guessing its the same except instead of the (x86) part... then its just program files

** this is how I had to install it, seen as it wouldnt run other wise (kept saying MSS32.DLL missing) so i had to chane the file root (see above) for you, it should be ok provided that you have it installed and Rome works :)

MUST BE PATCH 1.5

Load it up and tell me what you think :D (i know the financies are a bit of a worry... but meh what can i say? the KNOWN world hates me so yeah)

Last edited:
Rome Total War is lush although campaign gets a bit annoying, in both games I've done I take Rome and the Brutii just wipe me out. Medieval 2 is my favourite in the series.

Rome Total War is lush although campaign gets a bit annoying, in both games I've done I take Rome and the Brutii just wipe me out. Medieval 2 is my favourite in the series.

i might be buying that tomorrow :D (depending on how much it is annd how much wage i get lol, try mysave... you might be suprised lol)

Brilliant game

Playing it on and off as Julii on hardest difficulty,Greeks and Macedons are a real challenge i find for the roman factions till later in the game

Hardest/Hardest Carthage.

Definitely a challenge and a half! First 10 turns are a slaughter as you attacked/get attacked by legions of Brutii, Scipii and Julii in three different places! My game has 5 massive factions; me (Carthage), Gauls, Britannia, Greeks and Egypt with a lot of the others left. I've personally wiped out all the Romans (who never expanded due to them attacking me all the time instead of taking rebel settlements). I hold Italy, most of Africa and the original colony in Spain. And I'm currently building up an army of the best elephants and cavalry available...

But until I can be bothered, I'm playing FM and M:TW2 Stainless Steel. As Scotland, I've annexed almost all of England, and through Crusades I now have reconquista'd most of Spain!

Hardest/Hardest Carthage.

Definitely a challenge and a half! First 10 turns are a slaughter as you attacked/get attacked by legions of Brutii, Scipii and Julii in three different places! My game has 5 massive factions; me (Carthage), Gauls, Britannia, Greeks and Egypt with a lot of the others left. I've personally wiped out all the Romans (who never expanded due to them attacking me all the time instead of taking rebel settlements). I hold Italy, most of Africa and the original colony in Spain. And I'm currently building up an army of the best elephants and cavalry available...

But until I can be bothered, I'm playing FM and M:TW2 Stainless Steel. As Scotland, I've annexed almost all of England, and through Crusades I now have reconquista'd most of Spain!

Nice,haven't played as Carthage..toughest campaign of ive played was Pontus!,being battered by hopiltes when your armies core is horses isn't much fun

Nah, vanilla RTW is weak. You don't know what hard is until you have played Europa Barbarorum ;)

It is probably the most immerse mod I have ever played. Don't know how many hours is spent playing it back in the day :)

Medival tw2, what time is it set (what years... not the period of time (which is medival times)) ause i might get it tomorrow, depending on how much i have as i have to pay for car tax :(