Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
Rooney now has three options - he can deny the charge, in which case a hearing would be convened on Wednesday where there would be the risk of an increased sanction.

His second option is to accept the charge, in which case he would be banned for the Premier League game against Fulham and the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

His third and most likely option is to accept the charge but to appeal against the severity of the ban, but that approach could also run the risk of inviting a more severe ban if the appeal is deemed to be frivolous.

What do you guys think if he chooses third option will they reduce the ban?

Rooney now has three options - he can deny the charge, in which case a hearing would be convened on Wednesday where there would be the risk of an increased sanction.

His second option is to accept the charge, in which case he would be banned for the Premier League game against Fulham and the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

His third and most likely option is to accept the charge but to appeal against the severity of the ban, but that approach could also run the risk of inviting a more severe ban if the appeal is deemed to be frivolous.

What do you guys think if he chooses third option will they reduce the ban?

They should reduce it to a fine. Or at least a suspended 1 match ban.
By suspended 1 match ban, I mean he isn't banned for a match, unless he does something wrong again.

Everybody here who's against rooney seems to be missing the point. People are saying that would giggs do it,harry redknapp said would bobby charlton do it. The thing is rooney was abused throughout the game and none of it was about his playing but about his family and his origins and is giggs booed ofcourse not anyone after this kind of abuse would react like that. I know he shouldn't have sweared but banning him is just pathetic from FA. If they want to ban someone ban people who abused him and his family, It is the same with the ban of alex ferguson, okay they banned him and rightly so but what about the ref? The FA has two extremes either they let the big clubs off or ban them too harshly. And it is just pathetic by the media too just look dailymail today and mirror, "they should do this and they should do that" okay rooney made a mistake but if they ban him i don't think it is going to help either united or england, he is getting back in form,it upset his rythm. He has fought and fought for a year now through personal and professional problems just let him off with a warning for once then punish him next time if he does anything like this again.

Snap another player's leg into half = no action taken (De Jong anyone?). Swearing into the camera = 2 match ban. I think I know what I should do when I'm ****** off on the pitch.

But that's not what the debate has been about. I agree the punishment was harsh, but everyone was arguing that the FA was inconsistent and unfair. Harsh, yes, but not inconsistent, because there is no precedent that they aren't following. Another minor debate was whether or not Rooney let down the team, and it was shocking that no one for ManU thought he did. I'd be furious if an Independiente player or USNT player did the same thing.

They're by far the most well-supported club in England, so we can assume they are here. At least that's what I've noticed in my observation, it seems there are way more ManU fans than Liverpool fans. Whether or not that's true is irrelevant, since we know that tons are ManU fans, and they're the ones that will be saying he shouldn't have been punished, which is still less than half.

the fact that you would be furious does not mean he let the side down, For one thing ferdinand has always been a straight talker, backs his team mates when he thinks they are right, picks them up on it when he thinks they are wrong, he has criticised rooney before when he is wrong. he has backed him here, yet you say thats not what he meant, nonsense.

and your last sentence is so flawed. You make a wild assumption, then call it irrelevant, then make an assumption on the poll without known the breakdown at all. wild guesswork

They're by far the most well-supported club in England, so we can assume they are here. At least that's what I've noticed in my observation, it seems there are way more ManU fans than Liverpool fans. Whether or not that's true is irrelevant, since we know that tons are ManU fans, and they're the ones that will be saying he shouldn't have been punished, which is still less than half.

So you think all the United fans had voted in this poll? For all we know, we might have thousands United fans but none had turned up to vote. Like myself, I'm a United fan but havn't voted.

This is completely irrelevant.

The poll says punishment, however the thread now is about whether he deserved to get banned or not; should he have received punishment? Yes, probably a wee fine and a slap on the wrists. Should he have been banned? Most certainly not.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

See, I'm not all bad after all ;)

Although sticking up for United, not sure what has happened to me.

Alex for MOD as he is very Unbiased ;)

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Lol, i checked the poll results. I dont think any United fan Voted YES. I have seen majority of Liverpool fans there.

And few Arsenal, Liverpool fans have voted NO.

But that's not what the debate has been about. I agree the punishment was harsh, but everyone was arguing that the FA was inconsistent and unfair. Harsh, yes, but not inconsistent, because there is no precedent that they aren't following. Another minor debate was whether or not Rooney let down the team, and it was shocking that no one for ManU thought he did. I'd be furious if an Independiente player or USNT player did the same thing.

more than half the voters say no, yet only 17 of the 68 who voted were united fans....

I completely agree with this, justifies his ban. Drogba got banned didn't he? Consistency?

I completely agree with this, justifies his ban. Drogba got banned didn't he? Consistency?

drogba didnt get banned for the camera, got banned for his comments to the ref. the ban mentions nothing about a camera, only about swaering, which he see done by players every day,we've put unp a7 or 8 clear examples on the thread alone. Brooking pretty much said its because it was "for not being a role model".Inconsistency, and a 2 game ban is harsh. Watch it never get followed up

drogba didnt get banned for the camera, got banned for his comments to the ref. the ban mentions nothing about a camera, only about swearing, which he see done by players every day,we've put up 7 or 8 clear examples on the thread alone. Brooking pretty much said its because it was "for not being a role model".Inconsistency, and a 2 game ban is harsh. Watch it never get followed up

Last edited:
Can we close this thread until we know whether United/ Rooney is appealing please.. Curtis will not listen he will type mass essays which actually when you read them, realise you wasted part of your life as they have no meaning to them, and it is clear for most people to see the FA inconsitency which is ******* off united fans rather then the actualy charger itselfs.. We would be cool with this, if they ban others for similar offences but they dont.

Can we close this thread until we know whether United/ Rooney is appealing please.. Curtis will not listen he will type mass essays which actually when you read them, realise you wasted part of your life as they have no meaning to them, and it is clear for most people to see the FA inconsitency which is ******* off united fans rather then the actualy charger itselfs.. We would be cool with this, if they ban others for similar offences but they dont.

we're going round in circles anyway, closed till appeal is known

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Manchester United to appeal against two-match ban for Wayne Rooney
• United want Rooney to play in FA Cup semi-final
• Club will not appeal against charge of abusive language

Manchester United to appeal against two-match ban for Wayne Rooney | Football | guardian.co.uk

Manchester United will contest the severity of the ban given to Wayne Rooney by the Football Association. The governing body is set to suspend the United striker for two games following charges of using foul and abusive language into a TV camera during the 4-2 Premier League win over West Ham on Saturday.

Rooney has admitted an FA charge of using abusive language but has lodged a claim against the severity of his two-match suspension.

The FA confirmed that it had received a submission from Manchester United and the case will be heard on Wednesday afternoon.

"Manchester United player Wayne Rooney has today admitted a charge for the use of offensive, insulting and / or abusive language," said an FA statement.

"However, Rooney has submitted a claim that the automatic penalty of two games is clearly excessive. A commission will hear the submission tomorrow [Wednesday].

"The charge relates to an incident during his side's fixture with West Ham United at the Boleyn Ground on Saturday 2 April 2011."

A two-match ban would see Rooney miss the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City on 16 April and a Premier League game against Fulham on 9 April. United will ask for the ban to be halved so he can take part in the derby against their city rivals at Wembley.

If Rooney's appeal fails he runs the risk of having any suspension extended.

Rooney shouted expletives into a Sky Sports TV camera after scoring a penalty to complete his hat-trick against West Ham.

Rooney was kept out of the open session of training this morning to shield him from the cameras, although Ferguson did confirm he also had treatment for a bruised shin.

That should not keep him out of tomorrow's game though, by which time he will know the punishment he will face.

Players chief Gordon Taylor questioned the Football Association's decision to charge Rooney. Taylor entered the debate today by issuing a statement on the PFA website.

It read: "Whilst the use of foul and abusive language is not condoned, there is an acceptance by all parties within the game that 'industrial language' is commonly used.

"It becomes an issue when directed towards match officials. However, when used in a spontaneous way in celebration or frustration then it is not normally expected to merit a sanction.

"If sanctions are to be imposed in such circumstances then this has to be done in a balanced and consistent manner, and participants made aware of this fundamental change in approach."

The charge was described on the PFA's website as being "unprecedented" and, if upheld, would set a "dangerous precedent" leading to a greater number of players being dismissed.

Back