Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
There are many cases where players use "offensive, insulting and / or abusive language." to use the Fa's phrasing.
The only difference between Rooney's case and any other is the context in that he said it to a camera.
Normally no action is taken against these players. Even when it is towards an official rarely is a straight red card given which would result in a one match ban.
Rooney has received a 2 match ban. 2 more than he would have got if he'd been caught during the game by the referee and one less than the amount if he'd snapped a players leg in two.
That is utter bullshit. There is no way you can justify that a different context justified such a vastly harsher punishment than is normally applied.

Last edited:
Last man, it's irrelevant whether Ba was getting there or not, you may not agree with it but that's the rule and he should have been booked for the penalty and then the stupid challenge later on should have had him off too. Also, you can say Essien should have been sent off and that the media ignored, but you're saying this and you haven't seen an actual video of it. If it was so bad it would have been on MOTD, you could also say that the rules say that Essien should have gone because it was two-footed, maybe but last man is a lot clearer. And it really wasn't outside the box.

The rule is that if you deny a goal scoring opportunity then it's a red card. He wasn't getting the ball, thus not a goal scoring opportunity, and thus not a red card.

You just love to prove other people's argument's, don't you? The argument was that Essien's challenge WASN'T included in the media. How can you be so blind to just believe what the media tells you, are you incapable of looking at a studs up, two footed challenge and deciding if it's a red card or not without the wisdom of Alan Hansen?

I was going to reply to you, but Joel said everything that was needed. Think about it.

The rule is that if you deny a goal scoring opportunity then it's a red card. He wasn't getting the ball, thus not a goal scoring opportunity, and thus not a red card.

You just love to prove other people's argument's, don't you? The argument was that Essien's challenge WASN'T included in the media. How can you be so blind to just believe what the media tells you, are you incapable of looking at a studs up, two footed challenge and deciding if it's a red card or not without the wisdom of Alan Hansen?

It was a goalscoring opportunity, he could have got on to the end of it or VDS could have made a mistake, nobody knows.
And before when I "proved other people's argument" I didn't, I wasn't arguing about the fact that the FA are inconsistent.
I watched it lol so no, I don't need Alan Hansen's 'wisdom'? Meanwhile you're basing it off a gif which makes it look 10x worse.

Last man means stopping a player getting a shot on goal.
If Ba wasn't getting to the ball, then he clearly isn't getting a shot on goal not matter if he was pulled down or not. Simple rule.

But anyways, This thread is about Rooney.
It is disgraceful that the FA would suspend Rooney like they have. Bringing your team back from 2 goals down, scoring a hat-trick, being in the heat of the moment, having a camera rush up to your face after all the media attention Rooney get over the summer. 2-3 Swears was generous from Rooney. He even apologized straight away. How the **** can he deserve a suspension when you take into account all those things? And yet people like Gerrard get away scot free =/
Totally Agree!!!

It was a goalscoring opportunity, he could have got on to the end of it or VDS could have made a mistake, nobody knows.
And before when I "proved other people's argument" I didn't, I wasn't arguing about the fact that the FA are inconsistent.
I watched it lol so no, I don't need Alan Hansen's 'wisdom'? Meanwhile you're basing it off a gif which makes it look 10x worse.

your first sentence shows why it wasnt a clear goal scoring opportunity and therefore not a red card...

Deserves to be punished, profanity is too loosely used. Not one to look down upon profanity as its a daily occurring but FA should set some standards when T.V is involved, bad influence towards the younger generation where its 'cool' to 'square'. Remember at school people found it funny when someone randomly shouted out **** in class, thats 'class' for you.

Lololol. I'm showing bias? Where did you get the statistic for 40% are United fans? And even then, it proves nothing. Awful statistical analysis, just because 40% of Base are United supporters means nothing on the poll. The poll could be 100% of all the non-United supporters for all you know.

It's not official, it's just a guess. It's by far the most well-supported club on here, and I'd say between one third and one half of the members here are ManU supporters. But since we have no reason to assume otherwise, it's the normal FM base population that's voting, and most of them think he should have been punished. If you take out all of the ManU supporters, than a very large chunk of those who thought he shouldn't have been banned would not be there, and the poll would be overwhelmingly in favor of him getting punished.

The fact YOU refuse to differentiate between the situations only shows your bias. Players swear on the pitch. Fact. People do stupid things through passion and emotion. Fact. If you put a camera and a microphone on the field where these events happen, eventually you will capture them. Fact. The multiple other video's linked only prove this by highlighting that people say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment. How can you say facial expressions prove it's malicious, when I've told you what he said. How can you find malice in the words "****, what ****" only goes to further prove you're desperate to hang him on something, because only an insane person creates malice from those words. Facial expressions? Have you seen Rooney, when does he ever look non-angry?

It's not about having the audacity to do something. When emotions are high logical and rational decisions are often the secondary thought. Hence why when you're arguing with someone, 5 minutes later you'll say to yourself "I wish I didn't say that". Just like later in the day Rooney did the same.

Rooney has now scored over 100 PL goals, and this has happened once. So to try and say just because others haven't, Rooney won't. Because in the vast majority of circumstances, he too, hasn't.

So now, I ask, what is your vendetta with Wayne Rooney about?

Yet you keep on dodging the fact that all of this swearing on the field is never done intentionally, right into the camera. You claim this type of thing happens all of the time and that it goes unpunished (and that therefore, Rooney's punishment is unfair and inconsistent), but you still haven't been able to show one example of anyone doing what Rooney has done. Never before have I seen a player in-game intentionally walk up to the camera, lean into it, and swear into it. You act as if the whole thing was an accident, and that "cameras will catch swearing on the field" but this was completely different. It wasn't some player who happened to be swearing with a mic nearby, this was a player who in the middle of his goal celebration walks right up to the camera, leans into it, and says the F word. My first thought was "what an idiot, he's going to get punished."

You bring up the fact that no other player has done this, including Rooney, and that it was a one-time mistake, and that's what I've been saying all along. It was a unique, one-time mistake and that he should be punished. You denied this claim repeatedly, and now you're accepting it, so I'm glad we're on the same side, and I'm glad that you've admitted that the FA isn't being inconistent here. Harsh, maybe, but that's a different discussion. Unfortunately an apology won't do, and maybe the punishment is harsh because they're making an example out of him, but Rooney has no one to blame other than himself. Many of the ManU fans in this thread have been biased in claiming the FA is out to get him and they've certainly been biased in exonerating him from any responsibility. Giggs would never do something like this. And I can't believe none of you is pointing this out. If a player on my team did the same thing, I'd be furious with him, and I wouldn't spend all of this time defending him and attacking the disciplinary body for punishing him. My first thought would be that he's an idiot and that the whole thing was his fault. You have to be a professional out there, you're paid millions and I expect my players to have the self-control not to do something stupid like that that could cost the team.

And as far as my 'vendetta with Wayne Rooney' goes, I personally dislike him, but I would have had the same exact reaction if Terry, Fabregas, Gerrard, Tevez, etc. did this. Any player stupid enough to walk up to the camera mid game, lean into it, and say the F word deserves a ban. It's funny though that you claim I'm biased when you're the one whose team is involved in this situation and you clearly have reason to be biased, and your posts have proved this.

It's not official, it's just a guess. It's by far the most well-supported club on here, and I'd say between one third and one half of the members here are ManU supporters. But since we have no reason to assume otherwise, it's the normal FM base population that's voting, and most of them think he should have been punished. If you take out all of the ManU supporters, than a very large chunk of those who thought he shouldn't have been banned would not be there, and the poll would be overwhelmingly in favor of him getting punished.

Yet you keep on dodging the fact that all of this swearing on the field is never done intentionally, right into the camera. You claim this type of thing happens all of the time and that it goes unpunished (and that therefore, Rooney's punishment is unfair and inconsistent), but you still haven't been able to show one example of anyone doing what Rooney has done. Never before have I seen a player in-game intentionally walk up to the camera, lean into it, and swear into it. You act as if the whole thing was an accident, and that "cameras will catch swearing on the field" but this was completely different. It wasn't some player who happened to be swearing with a mic nearby, this was a player who in the middle of his goal celebration walks right up to the camera, leans into it, and says the F word. My first thought was "what an idiot, he's going to get punished."

You bring up the fact that no other player has done this, including Rooney, and that it was a one-time mistake, and that's what I've been saying all along. It was a unique, one-time mistake and that he should be punished. You denied this claim repeatedly, and now you're accepting it, so I'm glad we're on the same side, and I'm glad that you've admitted that the FA isn't being inconistent here. Harsh, maybe, but that's a different discussion. Unfortunately an apology won't do, and maybe the punishment is harsh because they're making an example out of him, but Rooney has no one to blame other than himself. Many of the ManU fans in this thread have been biased in claiming the FA is out to get him and they've certainly been biased in exonerating him from any responsibility. Giggs would never do something like this. And I can't believe none of you is pointing this out. If a player on my team did the same thing, I'd be furious with him, and I wouldn't spend all of this time defending him and attacking the disciplinary body for punishing him. My first thought would be that he's an idiot and that the whole thing was his fault. You have to be a professional out there, you're paid millions and I expect my players to have the self-control not to do something stupid like that that could cost the team.

And as far as my 'vendetta with Wayne Rooney' goes, I personally dislike him, but I would have had the same exact reaction if Terry, Fabregas, Gerrard, Tevez, etc. did this. Any player stupid enough to walk up to the camera mid game, lean into it, and say the F word deserves a ban. It's funny though that you claim I'm biased when you're the one whose team is involved in this situation and you clearly have reason to be biased, and your posts have proved this.

his posts have only ever talked about the inconsistency, and not shown any proved bias

Twisting my words. I said this is the first time the situation you explained has happened in the specific instances you set out. I dodge the fact about the swearing because it's dumb, yes. The fact is, it has happened before and will happen again. To hand out a 2 game ban is ludicrous. I haven't denied his responsibility for his actions, the whole point of the past few pages have been about the double standard and hypocrisy of the FA.

Twisting my words. I said this is the first time the situation you explained has happened in the specific instances you set out. I dodge the fact about the swearing because it's dumb, yes. The fact is, it has happened before and will happen again. To hand out a 2 game ban is ludicrous. I haven't denied his responsibility for his actions, the whole point of the past few pages have been about the double standard and hypocrisy of the FA.

To be honest im not sure how you could have made it any clearer...

Well then we agree. What he did in this specific instance had never happened before, therefore it is a different scenario. The FA had to do something, they could sit there and do nothing as such a famous player went up to a camera and swore right into it deliberately. Maybe it was harsh, but not inconsistent, which is what the ManU fans keep claiming.

It's not official, it's just a guess. It's by far the most well-supported club on here, and I'd say between one third and one half of the members here are ManU supporters.

I don't see what relevance this has on the thread tbh, but I think there are just as many Liverpool fans on here.

I don't see what relevance this has on the thread tbh, but I think there are just as many Liverpool fans on here.

Liverpool is probably the second most supported club on here, though with far fewer supporters than ManU. It is relevant because despite the huge number of ManU fans, most people thought he should have been punished.

yeah i'd agree with that

RE: your earlier comment about FA "favouring" United, finally glad someone else actually saw that its largely nonsense.

Liverpool is probably the second most supported club on here, though with far fewer supporters than ManU. It is relevant because despite the huge number of ManU fans, most people thought he should have been punished.

This is completely irrelevant.

The poll says punishment, however the thread now is about whether he deserved to get banned or not; should he have received punishment? Yes, probably a wee fine and a slap on the wrists. Should he have been banned? Most certainly not.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

yeah i'd agree with that

RE: your earlier comment about FA "favouring" United, finally glad someone else actually saw that its largely nonsense.

See, I'm not all bad after all ;)

Although sticking up for United, not sure what has happened to me.

its not relevant becuase you plucked a number out of the air, with no idea on the breakdown, and the numbers are pretty even, i spend most of my time breaking up arguments between them

Punished yes. Two match ban-definately not. Fine, warning then case closed. Thats what it should have been.

The poll says punishment, however the thread now is about whether he deserved to get banned or not; should he have received punishment? Yes, probably a wee fine and a slap on the wrists. Should he have been banned? Most certainly not.

he deserved a quiet word and hefty fine to a charity and everyone get on with their lives

lol it happens, i started defending liverpool at one stage

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

But that's not what the debate has been about. I agree the punishment was harsh, but everyone was arguing that the FA was inconsistent and unfair. Harsh, yes, but not inconsistent, because there is no precedent that they aren't following. Another minor debate was whether or not Rooney let down the team, and it was shocking that no one for ManU thought he did. I'd be furious if an Independiente player or USNT player did the same thing.

its not relevant becuase you plucked a number out of the air, with no idea on the breakdown, and the numbers are pretty even, i spend most of my time breaking up arguments between them

They're by far the most well-supported club in England, so we can assume they are here. At least that's what I've noticed in my observation, it seems there are way more ManU fans than Liverpool fans. Whether or not that's true is irrelevant, since we know that tons are ManU fans, and they're the ones that will be saying he shouldn't have been punished, which is still less than half.

But the FA are being oh so very inconsistent. Even though they're different scenario's; they presumably want to make an example of Rooney that you don't swear live on TV, but then they let Essien get away with that challenge without even a mention? How can they crack down on one thing and completely let something else slide. What kind of message does that send out? It's the way the FA seemingly have no order, logic or rationale behind their decisions. It just screams of utter incompetence and failure at the most basic level to regulate the game.

Back